TESTERS WANTED! ×

Is Club Champion worth it?

Mr. 82

3 hours ago, Dog Faced Pony Soldier said:

My decades of direct professional experience managing protected brands at retail proves more to me than you and your hearsay ever will; so give it up and move on. Believe what you want; my life will not change a bit. 

Hearsay? I'm reading these as direct experiences (including my own, and the post you quoted) on the retailer end of things. Hearsay would mean just relaying info from others. These are more counterexamples to broad claims, not hearsay. 

Maybe disclose a bit more on your experience? What industry? Were you the manufacturer, supplier, retailer, or some other role? How does it relate to what's actually happening in golf club sales? 

And I'm still waiting on that link to get a Triple Diamond below MAP - if that's happening, I want in. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 8* (adjusted to 8.75*), Mitsubishi Diamana ZF 70 X Flex (New toy incoming!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

6 hours ago, ChiefMikeOfficer said:

I'm still waiting on that link to get a Triple Diamond below MAP - if that's happening, I want in. 

We’re off topic but this actually might help someone so here’s the “link” to a discount on nearly everything purchased at retail. There’s no expiration date.  

Visit a retailer in person and speak to them face to face. Have an actual human interaction. Bring genuine paper cash money and communicate that you’re ready to buy today. Then, and this is the key point… provide a clear reason why it’s in the retailer’s interest to use a discount to win your business. If you accomplish this goal you will be “in” because there’s not a manufacturer dealer agreement contract in the US that restricts this negotiation between parties. The retailer can literally give you the goods for a 100% discount if you’re able to display why it’s in their interest to do so. Theres simply zero question if a retailer can discount. The challenge is generating a reason why someone should sell you something at below market value. Discounts absolutely can and are used every day to win business; even on newly released Callaway drivers. 

For me it’s astonishing to think this isn’t common knowledge, but perhaps my career in sales and brand management has provided clearer vision. 🤔 Surely some will stubbornly continue to argue, but hopefully others will understand what’s possible. Good luck. 

Edited by Dog Faced Pony Soldier

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 w/ LA Golf DJ Signature Series (65-4)

3w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

5w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

7w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

4i-GW: :mizuno-small: JPX921 Forged w/ Nippon Modus Tour 105 S

54º: :vokey-small: SM9 D Grind w/ Nippon Modus Tour 105 S

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5vB w/ LA Golf P-Series SOHO 

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x  play #45

Ball mark: Kraken Golf - Revolver, Weight Plate, Turntable

Tracked and scored by :Arccos: 

1 hour ago, Dog Faced Pony Soldier said:

We’re off topic but this actually might help someone so here’s the “link” to a discount on nearly everything purchased at retail. There’s no expiration date.  

Visit a retailer in person and speak to them face to face. Have an actual human interaction. Bring genuine paper cash money and communicate that you’re ready to buy today. Then, and this is the key point… provide a clear reason why it’s in the retailer’s interest to use a discount to win your business. If you accomplish this goal you will be “in” because there’s not a manufacturer dealer agreement contract in the US that restricts this negotiation between parties. The retailer can literally give you the goods for a 100% discount if you’re able to display why it’s in their interest to do so. Theres simply zero question if a retailer can discount. The challenge is generating a reason why someone should sell you something at below market value. Discounts absolutely can and are used every day to win business; even on newly released Callaway drivers. 

For me it’s astonishing to think this isn’t common knowledge, but perhaps my career in sales and brand management has provided clearer vision. 🤔 Surely some will stubbornly continue to argue, but hopefully others will understand what’s possible. Good luck. 

The guy you quoted earlier works in sales in the golf industry so you should recognize that there are people here with direct knowledge and experience on the subject.

What your saying here is exactly what the secret shopper does for the club manufacturer and what leads to the accounts being shut down when the person agrees to sell it below the brands stated price. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, Dog Faced Pony Soldier said:

Pretty basic guide to how consumers can shop and what is commonly done when purchasing automobiles.   We also use coupons and price matching to buy from preferred retailers.  I’ll go back to where you say it is ILLEGAL for a OEM to dictate price to a reseller; show me where that is stated.   I have provided a link to the FTC that shows that OEMs can require contractually agreed upon prices that resellers can not drop below.  Many here have provided personal knowledge of the ramifications from selling Ping equipment for discounted prices.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

21 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Im not sure any fitter would gurantee that you will drive the ball better. Most if not all would tell you they will see if your current setup is optimal for your swing and if not they will get you into a setup that is. Having a setup that’s optimized for your swing will reduce the effects of your bad swings while making your good ones have better results. As golfers it’s still on us to make the swing. Having a setup that works with our swings eps improve the changes we will make better swings.

I don’t many fitters in the Carolinas but True Spec is going to be a top choice because they are going to have outdoor capabilities which allows you to seee true ball flight. Imo this helps see what changes in ball flight a setup is doing and how a ball really reacts based on strike location. They are also some of the most qualified fitters around. The down side is their business model is all aftermarket to my knowledge. I don’t recall them offering stock options like CC does.  

I would always recommend an outdoor fitting whether it’s off grass or from a bay towards grass areas for the reasons mentioned above. Second I would contact the fitter and ask what their process is for conducting a fitting, during that discussion I would ask about your want for a guarantee and see what they say. Let them know what you want to accomplish and see what their response is. 

Once at the fitting be as honest with the fitter about how a setup feels, if you fee like you are having to swing different to make the club work and what your thoughts are about the ball flight you are seeing. The more communication during the fitting the better.

Ill message a guy that lives in N Carolina to see if he has any recommendations for fitters

I'm in the Charlotte area, did you hear back from your friend here to see if he has any recommendations? I got fitted previously at Club Champion but in the market for a new driver and potentially new irons as well. Appreciate any insights.

• 2 weeks later...

My experience was positive.  A year ago, I got a bonus from now former employer and decided to get a new driver to replace my Callaway Diablo 10.5 degree.  Made an appointment and met the fitter Julian who had me warm up.

After warm up, he took my numbers using the Diablo which showed 3-4k sidespin thus getting a lot of fades as well as loss of distance (180-220 yards).  We tried different manufacturers and shafts but found excellent results with the TSi2 9 degree with 60 gram Hzrdus smoke shaft which gave me 20 more yards on the monitor while reducing my sidespin to 2k or less.  Now I am not an expert on components but I can see enough data to get the driver.

I placed the order at ~ 650 with fitting waived and was told 6-8 weeks which turned more into 11 but once I got it, it has become a fairway finder and now I am hitting it between 240-260.  Could I have gotten those numbers at any big box location or independent fitter, maybe so and then again maybe not.  Golf here in Vegas is transient with stores and courses closing left and right.  I just learned recently that Julian is no longer with CC so while I am very happy with my purchase, someone else may not.  As with a lot of things, YMMV.

On 2/23/2022 at 6:22 AM, Dog Faced Pony Soldier said:

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

• 3 weeks later...

I just spent $5k at Club Champion at Del Mar in August of last year. I used to play PXG irons and Titleist woods before I got to San Diego and thought I want to get fitted so I can improve my game some more. I got fitted and it took more than 7 weeks to get the clubs that were fitted to me. I was very excited to get them premium shaft etc. from Driver to Putter. I tried to play with the fitted clubs  when I got them in November but I could not hit them properly and lost 2 club lengths of distance on the entire bag. I thought it must be me not getting used to the new fitted clubs. I took them to the driving range, used then at the course, but still I got worst and worst. I noticed that the clubs were super light to my feel I could not feel what the club head is at and what it is doing...I sucked. So I decided to used my old set (lucky I did not sell them) lo and behold I played so much better and so much fun. I thought maybe it is all in my mind so I played a day after and I was even better and I got my distance back. Now I know it is the clubs, 5K down the drain any suggestions what my options are to make these clubs workable? I would like to try to have the lie set back to standard they are Srixon ZX4's. I thought club fitting would always be a plus nit knowing that it could also make you worst...so be wary before spending your hard earned money....

Driver: Callaway Epic MX LS, Mitsubishi Diamana ZF Series 40 R-Flex

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 3 wood, Mitsubishi Diaman Thump Fairway 55 R-Flex

Hybrid: PXG 0317x GEN4 19 degree, Fujikura Ventus Hybrid Blue 7R

PXG 0311x GEN2 22 degree, Fujikura Ventus Hybrid Blue 7R

5 -Gw irons: Srixon ZX4, KBS Tour Graphite 60g Taper Shaft R-Flex

Wedges: 54 and 58 degree, SM8, Tour Graphite shaft 70g  R -Flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Select 

6 hours ago, Guam135i said:

I noticed that the clubs were super light to my feel I could not feel what the club head is at and what it is doing...I sucked.

Did you not notice this during the fitting?

6 hours ago, Guam135i said:

5K down the drain any suggestions what my options are to make these clubs workable? I would like to try to have the lie set back to standard they are Srixon ZX4's. I thought club fitting would always be a plus nit knowing that it could also make you worst...so be wary before spending your hard earned money....

Talk to club champion and have them look at the specs to make sure they were built to what you were fit too. Club champion can also do lie adjustments.

Theres never a guarantee that fitting makes a person better. It gives the golfer clubs that work with their swing that allows them the chance to make better swings because they aren’t trying to manipulate the club/swing to achieve a shot they are trying to execute. It’s also to optimize the ball flight so that the results of our bad swings isn’t as bad as what they were with the previous ones. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Aren't Club Champion's fitting irons heavier sw due to the adapter they use? Definitely contact them and explain what's going on. It could be that the sw is different from the ones that you were fitted with.

• 2 weeks later...

My CC experience:

I went on 1/8/22 and had an iron fitting. I had a few in mind. I'm a 1 handicap and the guy was pretty good. He was knowledgeable but definitely your typical salesman. He's gotta make money so I get it.

I ended up with Mizuno Pro 223 with Project X LZ 6.0. He got the quote and it was like $2800. I questioned it of course and it had SST puring, aftermarket shaft upgrade price and grip price. After removing the SST Puring and the shaft upcharge, which I had to remind HIM that Mizuno doesn't charge for shafts, the price was more reasonable and I pulled the trigger.

Bout a week later I realized I still got charged for the grips. I let him know and they refunded me the cost, no biggy.

It was annoying that I had to tell him, but what if a customer isn't as informed as me? Just comes off as slimy.

Now on to the worst part. I realize this is t their issue, but Mizuno had a malware attack that delayed the order about a month. They also had 223 head production issues which delayed it another week or so. They shipped from Mizuno and arrived at the CC HQ on 3/29/2022.

Once I got confirmation from Mizuno that they arrived at CC, I contacted CC and they told me that they hadn't been "received" yet. They claim that they get 300-600 boxes per day and it can take a week to actually check in all these shipments.

It is now 10 days later and I had to contact them AGAIN and now they claim that their build shop is relocating, delaying the order yet again and they anticipate the clubs to be "received and checked in on 4/19"

It's truly unbelievable to me that it would take nearly a month just to open a box.

I will not be ordering clubs from CC again.

Edited by TomBomb51

*insert WITB here*

8 minutes ago, TomBomb51 said:

It is now 10 days later and I had to contact them AGAIN and now they claim that their build shop is relocating, delaying the order yet again and they anticipate the clubs to be "received and checked in on 4/19"

It's truly unbelievable to me that it would take nearly a month just to open a box.

I will not be ordering clubs from CC again.

It's bad enough to have the expected delays due to supply chain holding up orders, but to have CC add onto it to with this as an excuse? Poor form on their part.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

• 2 months later...

I was for for a new driver new shaft, 3 new wedges, and a new Putter on 2/24/22.

I finally got the driver/shaft and the putter 6/8. The wedges were not ready since they were being swapped out with my current wedges using the same shaft.

while they were removing one of the heads they snapped a shaft.

It is now 6/21 and I still do not have my wedge. I played a member guest with the new putter, but it did not feel right. I took it back and they had to bend it to my specs. This has been a very poor experience. To make matters worse they never once called me to update me on when the clubs would be in. I still can’t get a answer on the remaining wedge. An honestly when I went back to have them check the putter, the original fitter was too busy to correct his mistake so he had someone else bend the putter.

it is now late June, this is not how you treat someone who has paid good money. I will never use Club Champion again. The sad part is no one has even said sorry, or pretended to care. This all took place at the new store in Livingston, NJ.

• 1 month later...
My complete set consisted of:
  1. Titleist CB Irons 4-pw
  2. 2&3 TMB driving irons
  3. Three Vokey wedges 
  4. All irons fitted with Aerotech (Pured) shafts
  5. New Detour driver shaft - Pured
  6. New 3 metal shaft - Pured
  7. Two new rescue shafts - Pured
All were refitted with leather grips. Total cost if memory serves - $5,500
I had just started playing again after an 8 year layoff so investing this sort of money seemed a good way to start of on the right foot. I enjoyed the fitting process and my fitter Justin. After some time with the clubs, I decided something was off. The shafts seamed like boards and the lies were too upright even though I made a point to stress they should match my old Hogan Apex irons which I took to the fitting.
I thought it was me, as I don't play like I used to, but I know what a good feeling shaft feels like. So I found a set of MacGregor Muirfield irons in Japan that had my old shaft a Precision FM 5.5 that had never been hit 3-SW they we new! I was first fitted for this frequency matched shaft in 1978. The shaft is perfect and just so I was being fair to my custom set, I took them to my lesson and had the pro swing the 8, 5, and 3 iron to compare against the 1987 MacGregors. He commented that he could not feel the clubbed at all in the CB's, and that the MacGregors were pure in every way. Glad to know I am not crazy.... 
Anyhow, I call Club Champion last week and told them the whole story and have yet to receive a call back.

5 hours ago, Rick Newman said:
  2. 2&3 TMB driving irons
  3. Three Vokey wedges 
I had just started playing again after an 8 year layoff so investing this sort of money seemed a good way to start of on the right foot. I enjoyed the fitting process and my fitter Justin. After some time with the clubs, I decided something was off. The shafts seamed like boards and the lies were too upright even though I made a point to stress they should match my old Hogan Apex irons which I took to the fitting.
I thought it was me, as I don't play like I used to, but I know what a good feeling shaft feels like. So I found a set of MacGregor Muirfield irons in Japan that had my old shaft a Precision FM 5.5 that had never been hit 3-SW they we new! I was first fitted for this frequency matched shaft in 1978. The shaft is perfect and just so I was being fair to my custom set, I took them to my lesson and had the pro swing the 8, 5, and 3 iron to compare against the 1987 MacGregors. He commented that he could not feel the clubbed at all in the CB's, and that the MacGregors were pure in every way. Glad to know I am not crazy.... 
Anyhow, I call Club Champion last week and told them the whole story and have yet to receive a call back.

Curious, who did you call at CC?  At which CC location were you fit?  Which Aerotech shift were you fitted for?  What is the Swingweight of your old irons and what is the swingweight of the CBs?  Any change in length of irons old to new?

16 hours ago, Rick Newman said:
  2. 2&3 TMB driving irons
  3. Three Vokey wedges 

Did any of these “issues” not present themselves in the fitting?

• 2 months later...

Please stay away from it. This is a franchise and the fitter come and go. They have no accountability about the results and no management that you can escalated. It costs me $2500 for a set of irons that I cannot play. They fitted me with a set of player clubs and I have no consistency with it. I told them to switch to another set and they said it would cost me again. Took 3 months to get the clubs and it is sitting in the garage. 

1 hour ago, Pierre2 said:

It costs me $2500 for a set of irons that I cannot play. They fitted me with a set of player clubs and I have no consistency with it.

Honestly this is more on you than the fitter or the company.

You made the choice to spend that money on the clubs you were fit to. You could have taken the specs and had them ordered either thru the oem or another club builder. You felt during the fitting the clubs performed better than what you had since you decided to make the purchase. The consistency issue would have been seen during the fitting, if you didn’t notice it then then it’s probably not the clubs but the user

1 hour ago, Pierre2 said:

I told them to switch to another set and they said it would cost me again. Took 3 months to get the clubs and it is sitting in the garage. 

I don’t know what their return policy is or their performance guarantee but to expect a brand of any kind to take back a custom product is a little silly. Most places say custom orders are not refundable or returnable. You made the purchase based on what you felt worked for you at the fitting. 

• 4 weeks later...

I just went back to Club Champion yesterday for a fitting and ended up ordering a new set of clubs.

Some may agree or disagree, but part of my reasoning is my current set ordered direct from the Manufacturer and the poor quality of the specs direct from the factory. I recently installed a Bushnell Launch Pro system in our home this year which has allowed me to see my gaps, look at spin rates, launch angles and overall gather data on my swing weekly. 

On a recent trip over the pond last month I rented clubs because it was more of a trip to spend time with my wife rather than the usual golf involved and I wasn't sure how many rounds I could get in (2). On one of the rental sets, I played a brand new Taylormade set with Reg (F3) Recoil shafts. Although they were too soft, I was able to shoot a respectable round after hitting the clubs on the range and slowing down the swing a bit.

That round opened up my eyes to how good I felt not grinding through a round. I am approaching the big 60 and have been considering making a change to my current set which have given me the 2 lowest rounds of my life this year.  I had considered looking at a few different heads during the fitting but first we looked for a shaft that felt good and produced good numbers but was less weight. One of my complaints with my current set is there wasn't a lot of head weight feeling during the swing. Part inconsistent swing weights in the set and part me getting older and slower. The specs were also off from what I had ordered and I recently took them into a local shop and had all of the specs re-done., with the exception of swing weight. I wanted to do this before making the CC appointment and re-look at my numbers and gapping in the set. My 8 iron was $$$ my 9 iron I thought from day 1 something was wrong with it producing inconsistent results? (I usually attribute it to the Indian not the arrow?)

After hitting several different heads during the fitting and intending to put a set of Mizuno's in my bag, I ended up ordering another set of P-790's 5-7 (will re-shaft my current 4) and the new P-770's 8-AW. All with Nippon NS Pro 850 stiff shafts. I tried shafts from several steel fiber, straight graphite and ended up with the Nippon. The new combo should give me better consistency in my launch angles and descent into the green, along with being able to find a smoother transition through the swing. The misses with this combination for me was obvious compared to the other combinations I tried. I wasn't looking for distance but rather small misses. I can't hit hit it pure every time lol. 

I have been dealing with the same guy at Club Champion since they opened their first store here in Colorado. A great guy who has become a friend and loves what he does. We actually met when he worked at Golfsmith before they closed their doors in Golden Co.

Hope this helps?

image.png         21 P790's Nippon Pro 850 S

image.png               AI Smoke 10.5 w/ Ventus Blue 5S

image.png                AI Smoke 3 HL Fairway w/ Ventus Blue 6S

image.png                Epic  Hybrid

image.png               Vokey  wedges 54/58

image.png                 Pro V1

image.jpeg.c8b4ffb4ff4de8ea8afba23108e17df9.jpeg           Tour BX and BRX

Screenshot2024-02-11at9_30_37PM.png.1e4cb7cbea3eff113419aae62f667ad2.pngPhantom X 5

image.pngimage.png.2b1b71322a7777a170fc398e58331e60.png  image.png.e0ef3e994d42a54c95d17baf9258a43a.png

image.png

I have started to see a lot more of their stuff on Youtube and I'll admit while not my favorite they have certainly caught more of my attention. We don't have them here where I live, however seems like they have tons of options and are a good or decent place for anyone to go to. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

On 3/16/2020 at 9:21 AM, CarlH said:

OK...yes, I've done a Club Champion fitting and yes, I did it with the intent of keeping my driver head.

First off, I did an entire bag fitting.  I had a wonderful experience and learned a massive amount of information regarding my swing characteristics.  I walked away feeling the cost of the fitting was well worth the price paid, but I did go into the experience with the knowledge that I was looking at the fitting process as part of a long term investment and not just the prelude to purchase.  Everyone's financial situation is different and what is worth it to one person is simply an added expense to another.  If money is an issue, then it will likely have more impact on your satisfaction than it would if the cost were less of an overriding factor.

Now, they will not have a Ping G400 head available and you'll need to utilize the latest Ping head for the fitting session.  Their shafts have a custom fitting so that each shaft can fit every head that they have in the shop and will not fit the standard manufacturer's fittings.  You will start with your club head and shaft and determine your baseline numbers.  From there, you would hit a similar head with a variety of shafts and work through the numbers looking for a shaft that optimizes your swing and club characteristics to obtain the best distances with the least dispersion.  If you're the person that's hung up on seeing actual ball flight outdoors, then you're likely going to be less than satisfied because everything is done by the numbers and what you see on the screen.

For me, it was a great experience. 

Edit:  Be prepared for sticker shock to get your club upgraded through them, but recognize that you are NOT committed to purchase the shaft and work through them and can take the recommendations to any fitter to have the work done. 

Excellent summary .... and the kind of attitude that is necessary to get the most out of a custom clubfitting session.

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

I believe getting a qualified fitting every decade or so is probably worth the money.

Basically, you are looking for "Your" numbers including swing speed, launch angle, spin rates, etc.

Assuming your handicap remains relatively constant and is mid to low number, chances are your personal stats will remain constant and change more or less with your age and flexibility.  In my experience, the numbers for me seemed constant in my 30s and tailed off a bit in the 40s 50s.  The major changes involved swing speeds which in turn impact launch angles, spin rates, etc.   The older you get the more the speed becomes a challenge.  Knowing the true numbers, percentage change, etc can help in making decisions to change shaft flex, shaft weights, club designs, etc.  In general, using technology to minimize the impacts of age is a good strategy.  Weaker shafts at a certain point can increase swing speeds preserving some distance.  There is no fighting the aging process but you may be able to delay the major impact by keeping an open mind and knowing your numbers and how they relate to club/shaft selections.

Lastly, the numbers are what you want, not necessarily the $3000 custom set they will try to sell you.  To some that may be worth it but for me I want to know what I should be looking for wherever I decide to buy clubs, including the used markets.  

I believe that being fit for golf clubs is a good ideal. I have always been custom fitted for my pings. But the the club champion in our area just literally took advantage of a guy I work with sold him thousands of dollars worth of golf clubs with a horrible golf swing. It was just absolutely useless. I went to a green grass pro where I got fitted for Titleist a few years ago and he couldn’t get any more distance or accuracy out of the new clubs as my old clubs, so he refused to sell them to me. He said you don’t need to spend money for maybe a yard more dissed and that’s what they should’ve done with him. Tell him take his money get some lessons from and come back in a few months.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

We are in similar situations - I am hitting the Ping G400 driver as well, after wasting time, money and strokes on the G410 and G425, although I did upgrade the shaft in the G400 to the Kuro Kage.  I was fitted for the G400 by the retailer at no additional charge and have been well pleased.  Fast forward in time to this year when I decided that I needed an additional set of irons, and decided to get the advice of an outfit similar to Club Champion.  The Club Champion type fitter, identical to the retailer (PGA Tour Superstore), used a swing monitor and kept changing heads and shafts until I was hitting my optimal shots.  

It’s been bothering me ever since that I spent around $150 for a fitting, I could have gotten free as a courtesy by the retailer with similar if not identical results.  

My advice is to go to a reputable retailer with a swing monitor and try out different drivers, and put the money you would have spent toward the new driver!

PS: I would be interested in which driver you decide on as I am looking for another driver as well, but a new driver is going to have to beat my G400. 

Started playing late in life, but as I got older I found that golf is a much better activity than a lot of things old folks get into, plus I meet some of the nicest most interesting people!

MR. 82:

I did an entire bag fitting with Club Champion in Charlotte the week they opened.  Even met the owner during the process. If you are interested in only a driver fitting then most certainly do that by all means.  I would recommend that you go into the process with no pre-conceived thoughts on what club will work best for you.  You may love your current gamer but it may not perform best for you based on some other combination.  Just be open mined and financially about the process.  It is an investment. 

I found the staff well trained, knowledgeable, patient and well versed at their job.  Once you are in the system and unless your specifications change you can basically call and add new weapons to the bag effortlessly.        

The process added a ton of performance improvement and confidence to my game.  

Good luck

Devoted Club Champion disciple

Pro-V1 exclusive

Managing my expectations

I finally was fitted for new clubs at Club Champion in NY. Been playing for 20 years with incorrect specs that match my swing. My irons were more accurate, longer drives reduced my handicap from 14 to 10 this year. Evan at Club Champion is an awesome master club fitter.

JBomb...

Make no mistake, Club Champion is there to sell clubs. One issue I had with my Club Champion iron fitting is the way they 'worked' the averages to compare my current clubs with the new ones. They used all of my shots (good and bad) when using my current club to come up with an average but as I started to hit the new irons they conveniently deleted some of my bad hits, makes the overall averages skewed and not an accurate way to compare the old with the new.