Is Club Champion worth it?

Mr. 82

Club Champion upcharges for shafts that manufacturers do not upcharge for.  They also try to sell you on the quality of their build which is BS (I had build issues with all 3 of my wedges).  Not only was I fitted for the most expensive shafts in woods and irons (I changed all 14 clubs), they up charged for EVERYTHING.  Got the clubs played a lot of golf in the 13 months I had them so I thought I would go in to (Golf Mart) make sure the loft and lie were still to spec.  Not only were the shafts 1/2" longer then I requested, the swing weights on my clubs we D7 for everything and D9 for wedges!  Loft and lie were off but I expected it that since I play over 50 rounds since I got them.  

I should have done more research before I went to buy.  I got serious about golf last year and thought I haven't bought new clubs in years and never been fitted before so why not splurge.  Splurging is one thing, being ripped off is another and that what it felt like.

I got refitted for a new driver (my CC driver broke at the adapter) and the fitter (very knowledgeable at local Goff Mart - recommended by my coach) informed me that the $400 upgrade shaft for the driver did give me 3 more yards but he and I both agreed that it wasn't worth it since not much improvement in dispersion or spin compared to one of the free upgrade options.

AVOID CLUB CHAMPION, do A LOT of research online (TXG, Rick Shiels, etc...) and talk to golfers and see where they went.  

23 minutes ago, Dr Tee said:

stopped in to check pricing of a wedge fitting and purchase--they are way high compared to CoolClubs and 2nd Swing.

Most fitting places all run about the same for fitting service. There may be some local places that will be less in some areas and some may be more for specific fitters like Ian from TXG compared to the rest of the staff.

14 minutes ago, JSH1177 said:

Club Champion upcharges for shafts that manufacturers do not upcharge for.  They also try to sell you on the quality of their build which is BS (I had build issues with all 3 of my wedges).  Not only was I fitted for the most expensive shafts in woods and irons (I changed all 14 clubs), they up charged for EVERYTHING.  Got the clubs played a lot of golf in the 13 months I had them so I thought I would go in to (Golf Mart) make sure the loft and lie were still to spec.  Not only were the shafts 1/2" longer then I requested, the swing weights on my clubs we D7 for everything and D9 for wedges!  Loft and lie were off but I expected it that since I play over 50 rounds since I got them.  

I should have done more research before I went to buy.  I got serious about golf last year and thought I haven't bought new clubs in years and never been fitted before so why not splurge.  Splurging is one thing, being ripped off is another and that what it felt like.

I got refitted for a new driver (my CC driver broke at the adapter) and the fitter (very knowledgeable at local Goff Mart - recommended by my coach) informed me that the $400 upgrade shaft for the driver did give me 3 more yards but he and I both agreed that it wasn't worth it since not much improvement in dispersion or spin compared to one of the free upgrade options.

AVOID CLUB CHAMPION, do A LOT of research online (TXG, Rick Shiels, etc...) and talk to golfers and see where they went.  

There are as many good experiences with CC as there are bad. Most of the bad are like yours due to lack of research about the business model and/or fitter.

But one could find a bad fitter anywhere just like they can good ones. The CC fitters at the locations in the DC area are really good.

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Yes, Club Champion is worth it. Yes, there is a cost, as nothing is free. Difference between Club Champion and a big box store is easy. Club Champion have fitters who are certified by the manufacturers, and most have been to the manufacturers for training. Big box stores have ZERO training, except a quick how-to video. No experience, No training, No knowledge. Big box stores are only concerned with the sale at that point...make it now, and sell regardless if the clubs are right or wrong. You may even have a fitter who flipped burgers last week. By the way, Dick's pays their fitters at Golf Galaxy less than what a hamburger flipper makes at McD's! Pretty sad. Yes, Club Champion is worth it.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G400 Max Driver 10.5° w/Diamona S+ LTD Blue-Board 70 R Flex

Ping G410 5 Fairway Wood Mitsubishi Tensi Orange R Flex

Ping G410 4-5-6 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi Blue R Flex

Ping i500 Irons 5-U w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex (power-spec lofts)

Ping 3.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex

2019 Bettinardi QB6 and 2021 Ping Fetch Putter (depends on the greens)

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Mid-Size Grips

16 minutes ago, HDTVMAN said:

Difference between Club Champion and a big box store is easy. Club Champion have fitters who are certified by the manufacturers, and most have been to the manufacturers for training. Big box stores have ZERO training, except a quick how-to video.

Not 100% true and certifications along with going to the manufacturers for training doesn’t mean anything.

My worst fitting was from a manufacturers rep who worked at hq where they get trained and do fittings there and a couple local tech reps as well as sales reps for a couple brands are terrible and have put people in completely wrong lie settings and shafts.

While generally speaking most big box stores fitters lack any skill there are places like pgatss and 2nd swing that have very competent fitters especially when you buy the tour experience fitting. Golf galaxy also has some because the local guys that work part time for the manufacturers work there as a way to supplement income.

• Like 1

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I visited a Club Champion for an iron fitting a month ago. At that time,  I was unsure if I wanted a new set of irons or maybe just new shafts. The cost of the fitting was $150 and I spent well over an hour hitting irons. During my fitting I decided to keep my current irons and change my shafts. I settled on the aero tech shafts and was quoted a price of $95 a shaft, which I found was a bit high.  I was also told that it could take 8-10 weeks to get my irons done.  When I got home I did some research and found a site that had the same irons for $53 a shaft. I ordered them and had the shafts installed. Overall, it took me less than a week to get my irons back. 

On 3/16/2020 at 7:52 AM, Mr. 82 said:

So I am staying with my sister for 10 days here near Asheville, NC, and I checked and not only is there Top Golf in Greenville, SC an hour away 😛 but there is also a Club Champion in both Charlotte and Greenville, each within an easy drive, which definitely wasn't the case where I live in Tallahassee.

I've been considering seeing them to see if there is a better option for both my PING G400 driver and fairway club then the standard stock shaft in both.  From everything I've seen with Club Champion their goal is to evaluate every club by select manufacturers to find the one that is best for you.  But what if I life the clubs I currently have and just want to see if there is a better shaft that might perhaps increase distance in both clubs?  Is that something I can stipulate up front with them?

Also, I noticed a fitting session for those two clubs alone is $200 (they have a 33% discount, so that would soften the blow a bit).  That's a lot of money to me, but if I can go in there and have them evaluate everything with my driver and fairway club and find some improvement, distance wise, then I am definitely interested.  I just don't know if it would be worth the investment, especially since I am sort of straying from their conventional fitting model in that I want to keep my current clubs and just see if the shafts can be upgraded to something better.

Anyone have any thoughts on all of this?  Anyone do a club champion fitting and can offer me some advice, tips, or suggestions before committing to it?

In answer to your question "is it worth it?" - value is entirely in the mind of the purchaser of any product or service.

In my opinion, a Club Champion "fitting" is definitely NOT worth the money spent.  I do not say this merely because they are a sort-of "competitor" of mine (I am a longtime Professional Clubfitter), but because of the results that I have seen from their "fittings".  I cannot count on both hands and feet the number of customers who have come to me to have their equipment "fixed" only to find that said equipment was purchased at an exorbitant price based on a Club Champion "fitting".  In most instances, the clubs were so poorly fit that they were semi-useless for the golfer who bought them. Club lengths, lie angles, shaft flexes, and shaft kickpoints that clearly did not work for the golfer are among the common problems that I have seen from Club Champion-fit clubs.

In fairness, my experiences are based on only three area Club Champion locations in PA and one in NJ, so your mileage may vary.

Driver: Ping G425 Max, 9*, Miyazaki  Kuala Mizu Tour Issue 6S, 44.75" playing length

4-Wood: Titleist TS2, 16.5*, Miyazaki Kuala Mizu Tour Issue 7S, 42.75" playing length

5/7-Wood: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero set to 20* loft; Tensei Blue 75-S, 41.5" playing length

Hybrids: Exotics EXS Pro (22*), Mitsubishi Tensei Silver 75S

Irons: Exotics EXS220 5-iron and New Level MODB-1 (6-iron through PW), KBS TGI Tour 80 (stiff) shafts

Wedges: New Hogan Equalizer wedges (48* and 56* + Maltby TSW Forged 52-8, all bent 1* weak

Putter: Evnroll ER2, 34”with Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTBx

Spoiler

I've had four fittings all in the last 10 years. Two were kind of a joke, but the cost (maybe $85) was rebated when I bought a club, actually a Ping 400 SFT. I looked into CC but was not impressed, but that's probably just my local shop. Seemed very pricey and somewhat geared toward buying a limited supply of high priced equipment, plus they didn't seem interested in what I wanted to do. Fortunately we have another Top 100 fitter in our town, (Rochester NY), Big Oak. They were very flexible and since they are a large driving range, I got to hit both indoors and out, and the ball does go differently. My fitter who was 70 and since retired, wouldn't let me just hit inside. We didn't do a lot of shaft change as he felt my game was inside the norm and my swing is fairly standard (Index is 10.2).  Not sure many places have the golf resources Rochester has (Donald Ross did 9 courses around here like Oak Hill, but most public), but there may be some hidden resources in your area.  The other thing I did was to spend 2 hour long sessions in the simulator, not playing sim rounds, but testing about eight balls that seemed to fit my game. Got great information, and some surprising results, all helped.

My two cents for what its worth??

I had never been fit for clubs in my life until 2012, when my brother and I went to Callaway Golf in Carlsbad Ca and went through their fitting. My brother is a single digit handicap and just this year replaced the clubs he bought in 2012/2013 x-Forged Irons. In 2012 I was a 12 handicap and after going through the fitting I also ended up with the Callaway X-Forged irons which with a lesson prior to the fitting took me down to a 3 over the next 18 months. Regardless of what people say about indoor vs outdoor fittings. I have become friends with the area manager for Club Champion in Denver. I have been through a few fittings for Driver, Putter and most recently a new set of irons. You won't go wrong with Club Champion. I have met several of the fitters and they all seem to love what they do. I will say that when you go to be fitted be honest with yourself and take the swing that you normally use on the course to the fitting. I have always gone to the range prior to going in to get fit so I am loose and feeling good about my swing tempo etc.. Don't get caught up in the distances of clubs while comparing brands, instead look for the set that is going to give you the smallest pattern of mishits. 

Good luck on the journey.

Callaway X-Forged 18 KBS Tour 120 FLT 

Epic Speed 10.5 w/ Ventus Blue 6s

Bridgestone Tour BXS

I’ve been fitted a number of times for Driver, Irons, wedges and putters.  Most of the time the fitters were limited to OEM fitting carts with stock shafts and a limited menu of upgrades.

This past year and a half I’ve taken my club make-up into my own hands and have been encouraged by members of the forum to consider options that were previously unknown to me.  I’ve bought clubs and shafts second hand, bought new old stock clubs and have learned how to pull and replace shafts, grips and bend clubs for both loft and lie. 

A friend of mine had a fitting at Club Champion several months ago.  He ended up getting a new driver, irons and putter.  All from different brands than he had used previously.  His game has dramatically improved since his fitting.  It is incredible what a difference it has made, especially with his driver.  He would say that it was money well spent.

His experience has convinced me to book a driver fitting there so that I can get access to shafts that would otherwise be difficult and very costly to try on my own.  

I want to try VA Composites, Graphite Design, KBS and Fujikura shafts in my current driver , a PING G410 LST, and am also open to trying other driver heads and shafts if they can improve upon what I already have.  I’m paying for their time, their inventory, their knowledge, their launch monitors, and for the ability to try many thousands of dollars worth of shafts and driver heads for only $175.

Most likely once I find the combination that performs the best for me I will build the club myself.

I recognize that everyone has different needs, but I view the fitting opportunity as a real bargain.

Ping G410 LST 10.5

Tour Edge EX 10 - 16.5

Tour Edge XCG7 - 21

Titleist 818 H1 - 25

Titleist AP3 6-48

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BRX

I think you are selling yourself short since a whole bag fitting at any reputable shop can tell you about changes that can be made to make the clubs you like even better with shaft and loft changes that may improve EVERY club in your bag. Got mine done at Golf Galaxy for $149 and learned a lot about what could help me. 

Granted, this was posted 7 months ago. “Is it worth it?”  
CC will charge $134 fitting fee. A new shaft not named Ping will likely run north of $125. But CC will only fit to a new head and charge you for the shaft. Even if they waive the fee it will be north of $600 for a new club. Going elsewhere for a shaft will likely run over $150, potentially over $300. So the CC fee and the shaft will be around $300. And you won’t know if the CC shaft recommendation will still be optimal in the previous edition you own. 
Or find a pro shop that fits Ping. Throw out the fitting fee for a G425 purchase and that will be $500 and then minus $225 trade in for the G410 and the net will be $275.   It will either perform better than the G410, or you spent $75 to confirm the current is a keeper. 
Once you get into the nether world of multiple shafts, price can lose objectivity. So upgrading to get an optimal shaft is not crazy. 

9 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

There are as many good experiences with CC as there are bad. Most of the bad are like yours due to lack of research about the business model and/or fitter.

But one could find a bad fitter anywhere just like they can good ones. The CC fitters at the locations in the DC area are really good.

I’d be OK with that if there weren’t so many novice, higher handicap players, who are told to get fit on this forum - with no caveats about research. How on earth would they be able to “research” and find a great fitter?

And how is it OK for CC to have any incompetent fitters since they’re charging $150 and up plus build costs if you buy? My CC fitter didn’t know squat, but I couldn’t see that until after the fact. And yes I know you’ll disagree…

• Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

4 hours ago, Middler said:

I’d be OK with that if there weren’t so many novice, higher handicap players, who are told to get fit on this forum - with no caveats about research. How on earth would they be able to “research” and find a great fitter?

And how is it OK for CC to have any incompetent fitters since they’re charging $150 and up plus build costs if you buy? My CC fitter didn’t know squat, but I couldn’t see that until after the fact. And yes I know you’ll disagree…

Do people in this day and age really need to be told to do research? People do it all the time for any product they are interested in or place they want to go eat or visit. How do people research any product they are interested in? 

There’s an entire world of knowledge and information at ones fingertips. It’s as simple as choosing a search engine and typing in whatever phrase, word or string they want to look up. The lack of individual accountability has to stop.

I’m not in the know on CC’s interview and hiring practices or internal training, not have I visited any of their facilities to talk with their fitters so I can’t say how they hire or consider a fitter an acceptable employee or what determines their tenure with the company.  Who is to say that or by what metrics is it determined that a fitter is incompetent or that they have a large scale problem of incompetent fitters? All we get is one sided story from a customer on their experience. It could easily be that the customer lacked the understanding of what a fitting entails, how a fitting is done or even failed to communicate to the fitter their expectations, their budget, their game along with not communicating thoughts on the club(s) that were used during the fitting. Fittings are a two way communication.

CC has been around for a long time. The one I’m most familiar with has been around for more than a decade. Anyone in the modern technology era who goes there and chose not to do any type of search on their services is at fault for any bad experience they have. 

Now I’m not saying that CC doesn’t have any incompetent fitters but 1) I would say that’s less likely the case 2) why does golf get held to some higher standard and people act like there can’t be bad fitters, coaches, staff? Theres incompetent people getting paid for their services in all kinds of industries.

I personally wouldn’t go to a CC for any club building work because of their price. I wouldn’t and haven’t gone there for a fitting because I prefer to see my entire ball flight unless it was the only option around.

6 hours ago, Middler said:

I agree it is very difficult for someone to find a good fitter. Going into any store we expect the salesperson/store representative to be knowledgeable.   We hear the stories on here everyday about how bad the fitters are in many of the stores: you are an example of that.  But what is the alternative?  Whose to say the independent fitter is any more competent and will give a better fitting.   We see it everyday on this forum; people ask which club should I get and why doesn’t this club go farther or straighter.  Other than going to some store and trying clubs how to people figure out what is best for them?  The overwhelming majority of golfers have the mindset that newer is better and that set of clubs on the wall is better than my set.   Other than telling someone to go get fit, what is a better thing to tell people?  Like many I would expect an expensive fitting at a place like club champion to be a good fitting. But we also go to expensive restaurants and get bad meals and service and our expensive cars breakdown and the dealers provide poor customer service.  What do you think is a better option to tell people?  

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I live in Greenville and love Haas Family Golf (Club champion has partnered with Haas) and I have heard great things from them. You also can't beat the top golf here. It's worth it.  Enjoy!

Just your typical average golfer...if there's a tree, I'll hit it!

On 4/21/2021 at 9:15 AM, revkev said:

I read this entire thread and two thinks popped out for me.

1. I’m glad I live in a place where there are multiple fitting options.
2. How did Tony’s fitting go?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rev if you're asking about my Driver fitting.: I was disappointed that CC didn't have all of the heads in a left hand orientation. Specially I wanted to try the Radspeed which they didn't have. Also I had just pulled my hamstring so I wasn't in great shape but pushed to get it done before we left Florida last spring. After multiple heads and shafts the best combo was the SIm2 D with an Oban Devotion shaft -$800 plus tax. However, compared to my 410 SFT I only got an extra 10 + yds with roughly the same dispersion. The young man fitting me was honest and said do you really want to spend $800 for an extra 10+ yds. Easy answer to that was no. I think I can easily get that by recommitting myself to Superspeed.

If I had a better game and unlimited funds I would recommend this shop in Brandon. However, I'm also very happy with my fitter in Ohio, an independent shop that has all of the fitting carts in my hand orientation.  

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

• 2 weeks later...

I have been playing for maybe 20 some years but I live on Guam and never had a fitting done. I am now 58 and had my 1st fitting at Club Champion in Del Mar and it was the best investment I have done to my golf journey. It was expensive yes it was because I changed my whole bag except for the wedges (which was a mistake). I could not be happier and saw some decent improvement in my game.

But before going to golf champion I went to the PGA Store and see if I could save money but I ended buying the wrong driver and shaft and they bent the lie on my PXG irons out of whack (3 degrees upright) and I could not hit my irons and that is the reason went to Club Champion.

Edited by Guam135i

Driver: Callaway Epic MX LS, Mitsubishi Diamana ZF Series 40 R-Flex

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 3 wood, Mitsubishi Diaman Thump Fairway 55 R-Flex

Hybrid: PXG 0317x GEN4 19 degree, Fujikura Ventus Hybrid Blue 7R

PXG 0311x GEN2 22 degree, Fujikura Ventus Hybrid Blue 7R

5 -Gw irons: Srixon ZX4, KBS Tour Graphite 60g Taper Shaft R-Flex

Wedges: 54 and 60 degree, SM8, i95 and i110 aerofiber shaft, R -Flex and S-Flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 2 

I hate the adapter system they use at Club Champion. The adapter system they use adds quite a bit of weight and increases the static weight and swingweight. 

During a driver fitting, i mentioned that all the drivers felt super heavy. I asked if the swingweight could be measured. I went back with the fitter to the swingweight scale and the driver was at like E2 or E3. I asked if we could swap out the adjustable weight in the head, and he said no, they dont have any other weights. 

I believe it is True Spec that owns the patent for that fitting adapter system. When they build their fitting clubs, they account for the weight.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 11/13/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 3 wood, 5 wood - Aldila Ascent 60 S
Irons:titelist-small: T300 5 to SW - LAGP AXS Red 85 Stiff double soft stepped
Wedges:Miura: K-grind 2.0 58 wedge - Xcaliber RT Spin Wedge 100
Putter:  SIK DW Armlock - LAGP 180 armlock shaft

• 4 weeks later...

I was fitted for my putter at CC and could not be happier. This was last summer when they were offering free putter fitting with the purchase of a new putter. I wanted a new putter anyway, and paid the same price for it as I would have anywhere else. I wasn't interested in a $3000.00 Scotty Cameron but have always wanted to join the Scotty cult so that's just what I got. 

My next venture at CC is going to be for a driver fitting and I have all the confidence in my fitter that he's going to put me in the right shaft. I made it clear to him when pre-scheduling that I wanted to evaluate for a new shaft because I wanted to keep my same driver head. Remember also, that when you go to CC and have a driver fitting you are under no obligation to buy the shaft from them. It's perfectly acceptable to take all the data that CC gathers during the fitting and buy your shaft somewhere else cut to the parameters obtained during the fitting. The only thing lost is if the lie needs to be adjusted, you'll have to have someone else do the bending since CC isn't building the club in total.

Someone else made the comment to be prepared for sticker shock. I believe this is true of any of the "retail" fitting establishments. At least at CC you're getting an experienced fitter and not someone who was folding clothes at the GAP last week.

Mavrik 12 degree Driver, Mavrik 3 wood, Mavrik 5 wood, Mavrik 7 wood

Big Bertha B21 5H, 6H, 7H, Big Bertha B21 8,9, PW, AW

Callaway Mack Daddy CB wedges, 52/12, 54/14, 60/12

Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 fitted putter