TESTERS WANTED! ×

WITB for this high handicaper

Hey guys, new to the forums here and relatively new to golf. Been playing about a year now but have dove in head first lol.  So here is what I am playing now after some experimentation and an iron fitting.

Irons: 5- Aw Callaway Big Bertha cf 19s

Putter: ping sigma 2 fetch

Wedges: 52, 56, 60 ping glide 3.0

Long clubs: cobra f9 3 wood, ping g410 crossover 2 iron, callaway super hybrid 19°

Cant hit drivers right now as I have an issue with getting a positive angle of attack but I can still get long enough off the tee mostly without 1. Play consistently around mid 90s to 100. 

What do you guys think about this setup? Anyone else out there shy away from drivers? If so what do you use off the tee?

20200316_154330.jpg

20200316_154419_HDR.jpg

20200316_154343_HDR.jpg

Edited by Immenb
Added pictures

I recently bought a Callaway super hybrid thinking it might be my driver alternative for those days my driver (mostly the operator) let’s me down. What do you think of it? I’ve not hit it yet as it’s still winter here, but taking it indoors this week.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

So for me, distance wise its not gonna go as far as a driver could. Its more along the lines of a strong 5 wood or weaker 3 wood. However, for me as I said above I cannot get a positive aoa which is necessary for hitting driver and this lead me to the super hybrid. I dont like how most hybrids sit at address, the face usually looks to open to me which leads me to close the face too much so I hit every shot left. Woods off the deck are not my specialty either. 

With the super hybrid, it isn't fade or draw biased at address which helps me to shape shots how I want to better. Typically I have very good control over where my shots go with this club and do not have really bad misses. It also performs just as well of the deck as it does off the tee for me and is good out of the rough.

On days that I can't control my 3 wood or have a tighter fairway to hit it is my go to tee shot. Only if I am crapping my pants on a super tight fairway do I go to the ping g410 2 crossover off the tee instead.

I got them in standard sole. A couple things that pushed me towards those wedges, shaft length is a little longer than standard for wedges which is great for me. 2 I love how the grips extend further and have marks on them for gripping down on the for more controlled chipping around the greens. 3 the hydropearl finish from the reviews ive seen dramatically help reduce spin loss in wet conditions and in NC thats almost a given half the time. Lastly, they have a much softer feel to them compared to the callaway Mack daddy 4s I was using.

I have pretty much converted to ping for short game 100%. I was very torn when choosing my irons as I really wanted to game the ping g710s. I loved the look of them and when I tested them briefly got similar numbers to the big berthas. The deciding factor came down to price being a few 100$ cheaper. Although in retrospect, I feel like the addition of the arcos in the grip would have justified the extra cost as well as the hydropearl finish. Performance wise though I likely would not have seen much of a difference.

The ping crossover 2 iron I have a love hate relationship with lol. Its the hardest club in my bag to hit consistently, but I have a few different shots I can play with it that are situationally very helpful. I can flight it low and roll it for miles, off the deck I have a very solid low fade that I can curve around trees, and I can use it like a laser pointer off the tee or hit a high fade off the tee. Bear in mind this is when I'm on with it. On the off days I hit it straight about 140 yards or monster slice. On those days I end up basically teeing off with a 6 iron most holes 🤣

The putter I just fell in love with. Its good for my straight back straight through putting style. It is literally the softest feeling putter ive ever hit which is for some players not all. And the adjustable length of it is a huge plus. At 200$ its not the cheapest putter but by no means the most expensive either.

Edited by Immenb

This is a very valid point, however people's handicaps take into account every aspect of their game. For me, my iron game is about the only thing allowing me to break 100. My putting is mediocre, short game around the greens is questionable at times, and I have no driver. So off the tee, I'm smiling if I just get it in the fairway anywhere over 180 yards. The 4 crossover would likely not gain me much over my 5 iron right now. I also picked up this club before I was able to start gaming my 3 wood recently and the super hybrid. So its stayed in the bag more or less for the variety of shots I can produce with it. 

I feel like there are lots of golfers like me who just have days where a specific club in there bag just isnt making the cut that day. Then other days it is a star performer.

If I get to the point where I need to get a club out of the bag this 1 is likely the first to go however.

21 minutes ago, IceHawk said:

If you're a high handicapper though, I'm not sure that it makes too much sense to be carrying a 17 degree, 2 crossover, especially if you struggle with consistency.  Maybe a 4 would have been a better option? 

One other thing I will note, I did not get fitted for this club. I tested out several "driving" irons at dick's one day when I was fed up with my driver. I was smacking around the demo of this club so well that day I bought one off the rack. I highly recommend not hitting a few good shots with a club and buying 1 off the rack lol. This does not indicate how it will always perform for you 100% of the time. I' ve also heard that sometimes demo clubs are slightly different than the actual product you are sold though I'm not sure of the validity of that.

On 3/16/2020 at 12:53 PM, Immenb said:

Hey guys, new to the forums here and relatively new to golf. Been playing about a year now but have dove in head first lol.  So here is what I am playing now after some experimentation and an iron fitting.

Irons: 5- Aw Callaway Big Bertha cf 19s

Putter: ping sigma 2 fetch

Wedges: 52, 56, 60 ping glide 3.0

Long clubs: cobra f9 3 wood, ping g410 crossover 2 iron, callaway super hybrid 19°

Cant hit drivers right now as I have an issue with getting a positive angle of attack but I can still get long enough off the tee mostly without 1. Play consistently around mid 90s to 100. 

What do you guys think about this setup? Anyone else out there shy away from drivers? If so what do you use off the tee?

20200316_154330.jpg

20200316_154419_HDR.jpg

20200316_154343_HDR.jpg

I know the feeling, I can barely hit my driver. Something about the technique just hasn't clicked with me just yet. 

I'm averaging 175-200 yards with driver, I can get that with a hybrid off the tee! 

Lovely bag setup by the way, especially for someone who hasn't long been playing. 

:wilson_staff_small: D200 Superlight 12° Driver & 15° 3W

:titelist-small: 818 h1 19° & 23° Hybrids

:cleveland-small: CG-16 6i-PW

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 48° GW, 54° SW, 60° LW

:odyssey-small: White Hot 2 ball Putter, 32.5" shaft, Jumbo Odyssey grip

20 minutes ago, Average Mo said:

I know the feeling, I can barely hit my driver. Something about the technique just hasn't clicked with me just yet. 

I'm averaging 175-200 yards with driver, I can get that with a hybrid off the tee! 

Lovely bag setup by the way, especially for someone who hasn't long been playing. 

Its funny, I was able to hit a driver carry like 260 even get some bombs to finish at 300 when I first started playing. Couldnt hit anything else though to save my life. Had a lot of wild misses though that were not findable. They I went in to try and do a driver fitting and the guy shot my confidence down to an all time low and I have not been able to hit a driver since. That was about 4 months ago. Since then with focusing on iron play ive lowered my score by over 20 strokes. Chalking that up to better iron play and course management.

What exactly did the fitter do?  If it was a guy at Dick's, they probably don't know much more than you do.  I've struggled with the driver for years as well and finally went for a fitting (actually did it myself in a sim at the store) and found the right shaft for my swing that made a world of a difference.  Still not perfect, but I now have a lot more confidence when pulling the driver out.

I highly recommend the article below - it's a lot to take it in, but completely worth it.

https://mygolfspy.com/golf-geeks-shaft-performance/

I couple of years back I bought a Ping 3i crossover thinking it would solve my long game problems. It ended up being the most inconsistent club in my bag. One lesson later I'm hitting my driver consistently and sold the crossover.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

3 hours ago, IceHawk said:

What exactly did the fitter do?  If it was a guy at Dick's, they probably don't know much more than you do.  I've struggled with the driver for years as well and finally went for a fitting (actually did it myself in a sim at the store) and found the right shaft for my swing that made a world of a difference.  Still not perfect, but I now have a lot more confidence when pulling the driver out.

I highly recommend the article below - it's a lot to take it in, but completely worth it.

https://mygolfspy.com/golf-geeks-shaft-performance/

Yep was a dicks guy. To be fair I wasn't hitting any shots consistently to get a baseline. Think it may have been nerves. But he was trying to offer swing mechanic advice that just wasnt helpful and then was like get some lessons and try again good day.  

Now the driving iron off the tee hasnt fixed all my problems, but for the last few rounds I have been pretty solid with it and am gaining confidence to use it in more areas besides the tee. It's an interesting beast. I am almost tempted to get fitted to it in the future, I feel like the dynamic lie on it is way too flat for me. 

Just joined the forum.  I have a bit eclectic set of clubs in my bag. I carry one of three drivers depending how I am striking the ball.

Drivers:

Ping G15 10.5 dg  Use when my swing is working.  Longest of drivers I have, but first to go bad when my consistency fails.

TM RBZ2  HL  Middle of the pack for me.  Solid driver.  Mid distance out of my three.

MacGregor MT 46011.5 dg Nicest looking, easiest to hit, shortest off the tee by maybe 10 to 20 yards.  But it will find the fairway when I struggle.

Fairway:

MacGregor MacTech NVG2 3W  Can hit almost as far as my driver on the range.  On the course is still a struggle but does go high and long off the deck if I catch it well.

Hybrids:

MacGregor MacTech NVG2 UT2  Recent acquisition.  Needed something a bit longer than the UT3. (Purchased before 3W)

MacGregor MacTech NVG2 UT3  My first hybrid.  Very solid and long for me.  Can get it airborne pretty easily.

MacGregor MacTech NVG2 UT4  Pretty much replaced my 5 iron except for certain days.  (You know what I'm talking about.  Some days irons work better.  Go figure)

Irons: 

Ping G yellow dot Graphite shafts.  5-U I was fitted for these.  (Lot of fun.  Highly recommend the experience).  Turns out I am "Joe Average"  Nothing needed to be done to fit these to me or my swing.  Still was fun and worth it.  They did put and extra wrap on tape on grips cause my fingers are a little long.  Love the clubs.  Very solid and great feeling.

Wedges:

Cleveland CBX  64 and 58  I have played Cleveland wedges for a long time.  Tried a Titelist  wedge for a couple years.  Just couldn't hit it.  I do think the RTX wedges felt better, but I'll stick with the CBX's for awhile.  Haven't worn out the grooves yet.

Putter:

Ping Answer W Cadence TR   Great putter, heavy.  Good control on lag putts, but I struggle on the short ones.

Odyssey White Hot XR #7CS   This one I always go back to.I changed out the face to a carbon fiber insert, (just cause I can). Painted and currently have some extra weights on it.  Works great as long as I can keep my head out of the putting stroke.  Is still my favorite putter.

As you could probably guess I am older golfer with 19.8 index.  Was 14.5 for awhile mid summer but then the golf gods punnished me for something.  Getting back in their good graces now.  As someone once said, "I'm actually a much better golfer.  I've just never played that way."

Note on my hybrids.  I have tried and/or purchased a few diff hybrids over the years.  None were as easy to hit or went as long as my MacTech UT's.  They may be ancient but I'll play them as long as I can. 

This is the end of my intro. If you made it to the end I thank you .  😉

6 hours ago, Gemba2 said:

Just joined the forum.  I have a bit eclectic set of clubs in my bag. I carry one of three drivers depending how I am striking the ball. ...

This is the end of my intro. If you made it to the end I thank you .  😉

Heyo, Gemba2!

If you create a new topic we can say a proper hello. 😉

759996A3-CC28-4931-AF4B-4F54E5A9B398.jpeg

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58° PUTTER Untitled-8.png.42ad9734db415b5a132df0574137f4f0.png KS1

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO | Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png SUPERSOFT
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

On 3/16/2020 at 1:53 PM, Immenb said:

To answer your question, I’m a high handicapper, and whenever my driver’s not working, I go down to my 3 hybrid. I’ve never tried a driving iron before.

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58° PUTTER Untitled-8.png.42ad9734db415b5a132df0574137f4f0.png KS1

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO | Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png SUPERSOFT
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

On 3/16/2020 at 8:53 AM, Immenb said:

cobra f9 3 wood

Wonderful club (I have the F8).  I've been known to crank it down to 13* on days I'm lost with my driver.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

So much of this bag I like. Nice setup for sure!

I have a 2 iron crossover as well and love it. I actually used it as part of the 4 club challenge and had some amazing rounds just using it off the tee. 

How do you like the shape of the putter? Definitely agree with it being soft. Just a great feel overall!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

On 3/23/2020 at 5:56 AM, Apolloshowl said:

So much of this bag I like. Nice setup for sure!

I have a 2 iron crossover as well and love it. I actually used it as part of the 4 club challenge and had some amazing rounds just using it off the tee. 

How do you like the shape of the putter? Definitely agree with it being soft. Just a great feel overall!

The shape of the putter is nice and it feels very balanced. Also not too heavy which gives you some extra control on fast greens. 

Played a round on thursday, not one of my best but I had a few great moments with the 2 crossover. The highlight was a 190 yards on a par 5 that stuck the green for my 3rd shot. Came to rest about 8 feet from the flag for a nice birdie attempt.