TESTERS WANTED! ×

Putter offset in relation to eye dominance

LoganT

I came across a few articles online talking about which offset styles were typically better for certain players in regards to their eye dominance. The only problem is each one of the articles are different from each other. What are your opinions on this? I myself am right hand/right eye dominant and I’m wondering if a certain amount of offset will help my putting.

Edited by LoganT

Well, this has my attention.  Right handed and left eye dominant.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

RH, left-dominant. A little bit of offset seems to help me "see lines" but I don't think that is a product of hosel types? I've seen a lot of different hosels/shafts (single-bend, double, plumber's, slant) that all have 3/4 to a full shaft of offset. I think the hosel affects the face balance more than offset?

https://blog.odysseygolf.com/hoselguide/

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

7 hours ago, yungkory said:

RH, left-dominant. A little bit of offset seems to help me "see lines" but I don't think that is a product of hosel types? I've seen a lot of different hosels/shafts (single-bend, double, plumber's, slant) that all have 3/4 to a full shaft of offset. I think the hosel affects the face balance more than offset?

Yes you’re right I typed it up wrong. It’s actually the putters offset in relation to eye dominance. One article says more offset for same hand eye dominance and one article said less offset so I’m confused 

Lots of opinions on this topic and as you have found many conflicting advice. From what my instructor has taught me based on his research is that offset has a influence on the stroke. It is related to influencing face to path angle during the stroke. Eye dominance influences how you see the line of the putt and ultimately how you should setup to the ball to see the line correctly.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 hours ago, LoganT said:

Yes you’re right I typed it up wrong. It’s actually the putters offset in relation to eye dominance. One article says more offset for same hand eye dominance and one article said less offset so I’m confused 

Only one way to find out, BUY EVERY PUTTER EVER!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Dave Stockton addresses this in his book "Unconscious Putting". He doesn't provide a lot of detail but has some interesting observations about putters, eye dominance and grips early on in his book - maybe chapters 3 or 4.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

On 3/17/2020 at 1:05 AM, yungkory said:

The odyssey site is interesting, this is one of the only places where I have read that more toe-hang helps to fix a right-miss. I am RH and Left eye dominant as well, so I like the ball far forward in my stance so I can see the back of the ball more. 

For OP - I find hosel style mostly visual preference as you can accomplish varying degrees of toe-hang with many styles. I like to forward press and get my hands ahead of the ball but can't look at or aim a plumber's neck. Self-isolation is giving me a lot of time to work on my Putt-Out mat and alternate between my face balance mid mallet, strong arc odyssey 9 style, and slant neck EXO 7 with mid toe hang. I purposely bought 3 models to cover the toe hang spectrum to try and find if one style stood out. The iPing app ranked me directly between slight and strong arc.  

I'm using a yard stick instead of the Putt-Out hole to play with eye position and see how that affects my aim and start line using 3 very different putters. Starting to prove to myself that eyes inside the ball-target line help me aim accurately and eyes over the ball tend to create pulls. Have ruled out the #9 style as it adds too much face rotation (inconsistency) even after a fitting recommended that style. 

The only answer is trial and error to see what works for you and suits your eye. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

41 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

The odyssey site is interesting, this is one of the only places where I have read that more toe-hang helps to fix a right-miss. I am RH and Left eye dominant as well, so I like the ball far forward in my stance so I can see the back of the ball more. 

For OP - I find hosel style mostly visual preference as you can accomplish varying degrees of toe-hang with many styles. I like to forward press and get my hands ahead of the ball but can't look at or aim a plumber's neck. Self-isolation is giving me a lot of time to work on my Putt-Out mat and alternate between my face balance mid mallet, strong arc odyssey 9 style, and slant neck EXO 7 with mid toe hang. I purposely bought 3 models to cover the toe hang spectrum to try and find if one style stood out. The iPing app ranked me directly between slight and strong arc.  

Odyssey is definitely backwards,  toe hang putters definitely have a tendency to stay open to the line on the forward stroke before they start to swing closed.  

As we have such dynamic weight variances in putters,  toe hang is becoming less of a factor in the decision making process.   For example take 2  1/4 toe hang putters;  one weighing 350grams and one weighting 375+ grams and you will get different rotation through the stroke.    

Also remember that iPing doesn't measure your putters arc,  it measures rotation.  

There are so many variables that impact the stroke,  that you really have to experiment and/or understand how the changes influence the results.  Essentially what do you change to correct a left, right, short, long miss?  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I’m RH, left eye dominant. I prefer a slant neck. Can’t do a plumber’s neck hosel. Not sure about the amount of offset... I’ve used putters with onset, offset, none... the neck style seems to affect my eye more than the amount of offset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

On 3/18/2020 at 8:57 PM, bluesmandan76 said:

I’m RH, left eye dominant. I prefer a slant neck. Can’t do a plumber’s neck hosel. Not sure about the amount of offset... I’ve used putters with onset, offset, none... the neck style seems to affect my eye more than the amount of offset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with not being able to use a plumber's neck very well.  I am RH, left eye dominant and prefer a full shaft offset.  I like a flow neck putter.  I do not like putters that have abrupt squareness or boxy lines.  I also have a hard time with mallet putters, although I have putted decent with a couple of models in years past. 

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Im right-handed and left eye dominant too and it doesnt really matter to me.  Ive used putters with offset and with no offset.  IMO, offset or no offset is really just a personal preference.

Edited by Retrogolfer36

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

• 1 year later...
33 minutes ago, SMUGamer said:

Good Lord, everyone on this thread is right handed and left eye dominate......guess im the only outlier.....right/right......

If it makes you feel better I'm  right / right. I have a double bend mallet. Odyssey Tank Marksman Fang. This is designed for a straight back, straight through stroke and is face balanced.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

4 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

If it makes you feel better I'm  right / right. I have a double bend mallet. Odyssey Tank Marksman Fang. This is designed for a straight back, straight through stroke and is face balanced.

Add me to the list.  Right/Right.  I have a double bend mallet.  Ping Sigma G Doon; face-balanced.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Right/right here. I play a PING Anser TR5, which is face balanced (only Anser model that is). I also play the ball off my left instep and tend to like to set up a bit open to target. 

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Modus 120x soft stepped once, D5, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

Do an Edel fitting… Enough said.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Right/Left, Right/Right, Left/Left, Left/Right - meaningless if you do not know how your hands, forearms, shoulders, and upper spine work through impact, the proper size of grip, the proper taper of grip, the position of the hands on the grip, the address position you have, or ball position relative to left armpit.  As someone posted, get an Edel fitting.

Edited by flyingwedges

I’m right/right dominate, but also wear mono vision contacts. Left for reading and right for distance. Unfortunately the ball tends to be in a no man’s land and I need to consciously focus to get it zeroed in. Was driving me crazy and I just shifted back to a more feel oriented putting style.

Anyone else using mini vision contacts and a little bewildered?

Right/Right...give me the flow necks with less than a full shaft of offset please...

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

I used a Odessay 9  Flow neck with little offset. which seems to fit my eye for most of my putting life 

I felt that I was not rolling it as well as other people with more modern putters and switch to plumbers neck which looks really ugly to me.
However if I hold the putter cack hand the neck design actually makes sense to me and looks much better and fits my stroke.  
I notice that cack hand  grip keeps my wrist arched downward and I have been rolling the ball better 
I don’t believe that eye dominance makes a difference 

Edited by Haro

• 1 month later...

I'm RH and Left Eye dominant. A few observations I've made over the years: little to no offset is preferred and I need the ball position at or forward of my left eye if I'm going to start a putt in the right direction. Also, I am a non-linear putter (as most of us are even though we will always try to be linear at some point) 

Right/Left and I’ve used center shafted and full offset and I get the same results. Most of what I’ve read has always advised right/left should use no offset/center shafted, but I can’t say that has been the go to for me. I have a Seemore Z2 (CS) and and Odyssey 10 2 Ball TT and I put better with the Odyssey (mostly due to better lag putting with the mallet). But I would say that I am very dependent on alignment aids-  wonder I wonder is that has anything to do with being Right/Left? 

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip

Eye dominance or field of vision or degrading vision only seems to have an effect on how I see the line and where my head position needs to be to keep from subconsciously adjusting the stroke.  I putt about the same mechanically with any type putter.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Right handed left eye dominant and I had a very hard time lining up a putter until I went to a center shaft putter.  Zero offset just seems to help me see the line better.  I’m actually curious about trying to build a putter with negative offset (I know some exist but am not blown away by any of the existing models).  Going to a center shaft putter has really helped my game.