LoganT

Putter offset in relation to eye dominance

Our Sponsors

Posted (edited)

I came across a few articles online talking about which offset styles were typically better for certain players in regards to their eye dominance. The only problem is each one of the articles are different from each other. What are your opinions on this? I myself am right hand/right eye dominant and I’m wondering if a certain amount of offset will help my putting.

Edited by LoganT

Well, this has my attention.  Right handed and left eye dominant.

• Like 2

RH, left-dominant. A little bit of offset seems to help me "see lines" but I don't think that is a product of hosel types? I've seen a lot of different hosels/shafts (single-bend, double, plumber's, slant) that all have 3/4 to a full shaft of offset. I think the hosel affects the face balance more than offset?

https://blog.odysseygolf.com/hoselguide/

• Like 3

7 hours ago, yungkory said:

RH, left-dominant. A little bit of offset seems to help me "see lines" but I don't think that is a product of hosel types? I've seen a lot of different hosels/shafts (single-bend, double, plumber's, slant) that all have 3/4 to a full shaft of offset. I think the hosel affects the face balance more than offset?

Yes you’re right I typed it up wrong. It’s actually the putters offset in relation to eye dominance. One article says more offset for same hand eye dominance and one article said less offset so I’m confused 

Lots of opinions on this topic and as you have found many conflicting advice. From what my instructor has taught me based on his research is that offset has a influence on the stroke. It is related to influencing face to path angle during the stroke. Eye dominance influences how you see the line of the putt and ultimately how you should setup to the ball to see the line correctly.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LoganT said:

Yes you’re right I typed it up wrong. It’s actually the putters offset in relation to eye dominance. One article says more offset for same hand eye dominance and one article said less offset so I’m confused 

Only one way to find out, BUY EVERY PUTTER EVER!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, yungkory said:

Only one way to find out, BUY EVERY PUTTER EVER!

Sometimes I feel like I’m slowly accomplishing this

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dave Stockton addresses this in his book "Unconscious Putting". He doesn't provide a lot of detail but has some interesting observations about putters, eye dominance and grips early on in his book - maybe chapters 3 or 4.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

On 3/17/2020 at 1:05 AM, yungkory said:

The odyssey site is interesting, this is one of the only places where I have read that more toe-hang helps to fix a right-miss. I am RH and Left eye dominant as well, so I like the ball far forward in my stance so I can see the back of the ball more. 

For OP - I find hosel style mostly visual preference as you can accomplish varying degrees of toe-hang with many styles. I like to forward press and get my hands ahead of the ball but can't look at or aim a plumber's neck. Self-isolation is giving me a lot of time to work on my Putt-Out mat and alternate between my face balance mid mallet, strong arc odyssey 9 style, and slant neck EXO 7 with mid toe hang. I purposely bought 3 models to cover the toe hang spectrum to try and find if one style stood out. The iPing app ranked me directly between slight and strong arc.  

I'm using a yard stick instead of the Putt-Out hole to play with eye position and see how that affects my aim and start line using 3 very different putters. Starting to prove to myself that eyes inside the ball-target line help me aim accurately and eyes over the ball tend to create pulls. Have ruled out the #9 style as it adds too much face rotation (inconsistency) even after a fitting recommended that style. 

The only answer is trial and error to see what works for you and suits your eye. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

The odyssey site is interesting, this is one of the only places where I have read that more toe-hang helps to fix a right-miss. I am RH and Left eye dominant as well, so I like the ball far forward in my stance so I can see the back of the ball more. 

For OP - I find hosel style mostly visual preference as you can accomplish varying degrees of toe-hang with many styles. I like to forward press and get my hands ahead of the ball but can't look at or aim a plumber's neck. Self-isolation is giving me a lot of time to work on my Putt-Out mat and alternate between my face balance mid mallet, strong arc odyssey 9 style, and slant neck EXO 7 with mid toe hang. I purposely bought 3 models to cover the toe hang spectrum to try and find if one style stood out. The iPing app ranked me directly between slight and strong arc.  

Odyssey is definitely backwards,  toe hang putters definitely have a tendency to stay open to the line on the forward stroke before they start to swing closed.  

As we have such dynamic weight variances in putters,  toe hang is becoming less of a factor in the decision making process.   For example take 2  1/4 toe hang putters;  one weighing 350grams and one weighting 375+ grams and you will get different rotation through the stroke.    

Also remember that iPing doesn't measure your putters arc,  it measures rotation.  

There are so many variables that impact the stroke,  that you really have to experiment and/or understand how the changes influence the results.  Essentially what do you change to correct a left, right, short, long miss?  

• Like 3

I’m RH, left eye dominant. I prefer a slant neck. Can’t do a plumber’s neck hosel. Not sure about the amount of offset... I’ve used putters with onset, offset, none... the neck style seems to affect my eye more than the amount of offset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 8:57 PM, bluesmandan76 said:

I’m RH, left eye dominant. I prefer a slant neck. Can’t do a plumber’s neck hosel. Not sure about the amount of offset... I’ve used putters with onset, offset, none... the neck style seems to affect my eye more than the amount of offset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with not being able to use a plumber's neck very well.  I am RH, left eye dominant and prefer a full shaft offset.  I like a flow neck putter.  I do not like putters that have abrupt squareness or boxy lines.  I also have a hard time with mallet putters, although I have putted decent with a couple of models in years past. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Im right-handed and left eye dominant too and it doesnt really matter to me.  Ive used putters with offset and with no offset.  IMO, offset or no offset is really just a personal preference.

Edited by Retrogolfer36
  • Like 1