Jump to content
Immenb

Ping glide 3.0 wedges

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

Hey everyone. I've recently aquired a set of ping glide 3.0 wedges in 52° ss grind and 56° as grind. I plan to buy the 60° as well soon although I'm not sure which grind to go with at the moment although im leaning towards ws grind for more ease out of bunkers. I chose those lofts as my pw is 44° and aw is 48°. The wedges I replaced were callaway md4s in similar lofts with a grind and 10 bounce.

The first thing that I notice when looking down at the club is the size of the head feels slightly larger and the shaft lengths are longer. For me being over 6' tall that is a huge plus already. Also the standard grips go longer down the shaft and do not taper as much and have markings on them for different hand positions if you are the type of player that likes to grip down on shorter chips like I do. There are 3 different grind choices although not in every loft. The bounce options are dependent on those grind options. I like a good bit of bounce as I use these for full shots into greens often but I went with ss grind to not have too much bounce. 

The other tech on these if the hydropearl finish which boasts the ability to maintain spin numbers in wet conditions. Various club testers have show this to work well although for a higher handicaper this may not be as obvious. So far after hitting several hundred shots with them, the finish appears to be holding up pretty well I will add especially compared to the pvd black finish on my irons.

Performance wise, I get very consistent distances on these even on not so great strikes. I carry the 52 about 95-100 yards and the 56 around 85. Something many people don't consider too much with wedges I feel is the ability to shape shots. I have found this to be fairly easy with these clubs especially for draw shots. Fades are a bit trickier for me with these but still possible.  With the bounce I have on my clubs, fairway shots and even tight fairway shots are a cake walk. Out of thick rough is tricky though. Bunker shots I really need to get my 60° to get a better idea. The leading edge on the ss grind is fairly rounded and less square which helps me with turf interaction leading to less negative impact on fat shots. Thinned shots unfortunately still go for miles and wont stop but thats down to a poor swing.

The last thing I would like to bring up about these wedges is feel. Now I have not tested very many wedges out there, but compared to the callaway md4s and the jaws, these wedges have a much much softer feel when you strike them. I fell in love with these clubs the second I hit.my first full shot with them. They are not forged although there is a forged version, but they come pretty dang close in feel to it. They feature an insert in the back of the club head that contributes to this.

I would highly recommend trying these out if you get a chance. Wedge performance for.many comes down to spin numbers and feel and these do not lack in stopping power or buttery goodness. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Immenb said:

Hey everyone. I've recently aquired a set of ping glide 3.0 wedges in 52° ss grind and 56° as grind. I plan to buy the 60° as well soon although I'm not sure which grind to go with at the moment although im leaning towards ws grind for more ease out of bunkers. I chose those lofts as my pw is 44° and aw is 48°. The wedges I replaced were callaway md4s in similar lofts with a grind and 10 bounce.

The first thing that I notice when looking down at the club is the size of the head feels slightly larger and the shaft lengths are longer. For me being over 6' tall that is a huge plus already. Also the standard grips go longer down the shaft and do not taper as much and have markings on them for different hand positions if you are the type of player that likes to grip down on shorter chips like I do. There are 3 different grind choices although not in every loft. The bounce options are dependent on those grind options. I like a good bit of bounce as I use these for full shots into greens often but I went with ss grind to not have too much bounce. 

The other tech on these if the hydropearl finish which boasts the ability to maintain spin numbers in wet conditions. Various club testers have show this to work well although for a higher handicaper this may not be as obvious. So far after hitting several hundred shots with them, the finish appears to be holding up pretty well I will add especially compared to the pvd black finish on my irons.

Performance wise, I get very consistent distances on these even on not so great strikes. I carry the 52 about 95-100 yards and the 56 around 85. Something many people don't consider too much with wedges I feel is the ability to shape shots. I have found this to be fairly easy with these clubs especially for draw shots. Fades are a bit trickier for me with these but still possible.  With the bounce I have on my clubs, fairway shots and even tight fairway shots are a cake walk. Out of thick rough is tricky though. Bunker shots I really need to get my 60° to get a better idea. The leading edge on the ss grind is fairly rounded and less square which helps me with turf interaction leading to less negative impact on fat shots. Thinned shots unfortunately still go for miles and wont stop but thats down to a poor swing.

The last thing I would like to bring up about these wedges is feel. Now I have not tested very many wedges out there, but compared to the callaway md4s and the jaws, these wedges have a much much softer feel when you strike them. I fell in love with these clubs the second I hit.my first full shot with them. They are not forged although there is a forged version, but they come pretty dang close in feel to it. They feature an insert in the back of the club head that contributes to this.

I would highly recommend trying these out if you get a chance. Wedge performance for.many comes down to spin numbers and feel and these do not lack in stopping power or buttery goodness. 

Used the Glide 2.0 for some time and they were great great performers!

Thanks for the review.


StrokerAce
:cobra-small:  Speedzone Xtreme 
:cobra-small:  King F7 3w Fujikara 
:titelist-small:  816 H1 21 Diamana red
--------------------------
:srixon-small: Z785 4-A KBS tour 120 
:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 54/58 
:cleveland-small: S.O.F.T. #1
--------------------------
:918457628_PrecisionPro: nx7 pro rangefinder
:1590477705_SunMountain:  C130 cart bag
:Arccos: Stat tracking

Franklin, MA; Right Handed; 10
"the club face sends it, the path bends it..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My pleasure. I like these wedges so much I want them to be on other people's radar. In the golf market right now, the marketing megaliths control the biggest pieces of the pie and sometimes the smaller guys have great products that simply get overlooked. Not saying ping is an unknown brand by any means, but titleist, taylormade, callaway all hold onto a very big piece of the market. To me, these companies all seem to be selling the same thing at times too, not a whole lot of variance except a little aesthetically. But they are also the "trusted" guys out there and you know what you are getting pretty much when you buy these.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hey everyone. I've recently aquired a set of ping glide 3.0 wedges in 52° ss grind and 56° as grind. I plan to buy the 60° as well soon although I'm not sure which grind to go with at the moment although im leaning towards ws grind for more ease out of bunkers. I chose those lofts as my pw is 44° and aw is 48°. The wedges I replaced were callaway md4s in similar lofts with a grind and 10 bounce.
The first thing that I notice when looking down at the club is the size of the head feels slightly larger and the shaft lengths are longer. For me being over 6' tall that is a huge plus already. Also the standard grips go longer down the shaft and do not taper as much and have markings on them for different hand positions if you are the type of player that likes to grip down on shorter chips like I do. There are 3 different grind choices although not in every loft. The bounce options are dependent on those grind options. I like a good bit of bounce as I use these for full shots into greens often but I went with ss grind to not have too much bounce. 
The other tech on these if the hydropearl finish which boasts the ability to maintain spin numbers in wet conditions. Various club testers have show this to work well although for a higher handicaper this may not be as obvious. So far after hitting several hundred shots with them, the finish appears to be holding up pretty well I will add especially compared to the pvd black finish on my irons.
Performance wise, I get very consistent distances on these even on not so great strikes. I carry the 52 about 95-100 yards and the 56 around 85. Something many people don't consider too much with wedges I feel is the ability to shape shots. I have found this to be fairly easy with these clubs especially for draw shots. Fades are a bit trickier for me with these but still possible.  With the bounce I have on my clubs, fairway shots and even tight fairway shots are a cake walk. Out of thick rough is tricky though. Bunker shots I really need to get my 60° to get a better idea. The leading edge on the ss grind is fairly rounded and less square which helps me with turf interaction leading to less negative impact on fat shots. Thinned shots unfortunately still go for miles and wont stop but thats down to a poor swing.
The last thing I would like to bring up about these wedges is feel. Now I have not tested very many wedges out there, but compared to the callaway md4s and the jaws, these wedges have a much much softer feel when you strike them. I fell in love with these clubs the second I hit.my first full shot with them. They are not forged although there is a forged version, but they come pretty dang close in feel to it. They feature an insert in the back of the club head that contributes to this.
I would highly recommend trying these out if you get a chance. Wedge performance for.many comes down to spin numbers and feel and these do not lack in stopping power or buttery goodness. 

Nice review. I carry a Ping Eye2 60*. Pretty well worn but I love this wedge


Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tony@CIC said:


Nice review. I carry a Ping Eye2 60*. Pretty well worn but I love this wedge


Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I completely forgot about the eye2 grind lol. Just cant seem to wrap my head around that shape. How does it perform for you out of the sand?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Immenb said:

I completely forgot about the eye2 grind lol. Just cant seem to wrap my head around that shape. How does it perform for you out of the sand?

Works great for me from either green side rough or soft sand. I also have 56* RTX 3.0 that i use for hard pack sand - I believe they call it a mid grind(?). At one point I had replaced my EYE2 with the RTX, but thankfully didn't sell it. The 60* RTX went back into the closet. 


Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tested these last year. They looked too big to me and I could not get over that mental barrier to give them a far test. So, obviously they did not make it in the bag.

A buddy of mine does play them though and he loves them. The extra spin in the wet seems to be holding up to the test of time if the eye test results are accurate.


:taylormade-small: M5 12* - ACCRA TZ6 55 M4 - 1.5* open, weight back & toe

:titelist-small: TS3 16.5* - ACCRA FX 2.0 370 M4 - B1 setting, neutral weight

:titelist-small: 818 H1 21* - TENSEI White 90 S - C1 setting, neutral weight

:mizuno-small: MP-20 MMC 4-PW - PX LZ 5.0 110g - 2* flat & 2* weak

:mizuno-small: T20 50.07*, 54.12*, 60.06* - PX LZ 5.5 115g - 2* flat

:scotty-small:  Newport 2 - 33"

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used a Ping Eye 2 Lob wedge for year, wore the grooves off of it.   Just picked up the new Eye2 Lob wedge.  Looks like an old friend can't wait to try it out.


:ping-small: G400 Driver 10.5* Mitsubishi Tensei Blue CK Pro 60 Stiff

:ping-small: G400 Fwy 16.5* Mitsubishi Tensei Blue CK Pro 70 Stiff

:titelist-small: 818 H1 Hybrids 20* & 24* Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 80 Stiff

:titelist-small: TMB Irons 5 - 9 Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff

:titelist-small: Volkey SM-7 Wedges Black 50* & 54*

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy PM Grind Black 60*

:cameron-small: Select Newport 34"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Used a Ping Eye 2 Lob wedge for year, wore the grooves off of it.   Just picked up the new Eye2 Lob wedge.  Looks like an old friend can't wait to try it out.

Worn groves after a year? If that happened to me I'd be contacting Ping. I have an EYE 2 60* that I've used for about 8 years and it still looks pretty decent after about 150 rounds+ a year plus a ton of chipping practice in my backyard.


Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve used Ping wedges for years. Personally feel that they are greatly underrated. I have used an original Glide for years now along with a couple of Tour-S wedges. Solid performers for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...