Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Three Grand Down the Drain

Has anybody else bought a brand new set of clubs for a golf season that will probably never begin this year?

We've got a 1300s style plague in bloom, and I can't even go to the club for a sandwich and coffee, never mind golf.

I'm in the high risk group.  Maybe I shouldn't be thinking about golf.  Still could use coffee and a sandwich though.

There will be golf again this season, we just don’t know when yet. The more we can isolate, the lower the impact will be which improves the chances our finite healthcare resources will be able to keep up. We’ll get through this, but it’s up to each of us how it all plays out.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Playing every week, just very cautious.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

16 minutes ago, RetiredBoomer said:

Has anybody else bought a brand new set of clubs for a golf season that will probably never begin this year?

We've got a 1300s style plague in bloom, and I can't even go to the club for a sandwich and coffee, never mind golf.

I'm in the high risk group.  Maybe I shouldn't be thinking about golf.  Still could use coffee and a sandwich though.

There are going to be a TON of people losing their jobs and livelihoods in the coming weeks, thanks to whatever this is you want to call it.  Be thankful you are retired and the worst thing that has happened in your life is not being able to go to your club for food (that you can make from home).

I'm really starting to get depressed over all of this.  But if this is the worst that happens to you, well, consider yourself blessed.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

2 minutes ago, Mr. 82 said:

There are going to be a TON of people losing their jobs and livelihoods in the coming weeks, thanks to whatever this is you want to call it.  Be thankful you are retired and the worst thing that has happened in your life is not being able to go to your club for food (that you can make from home).

I'm really starting to get depressed over all of this.  But if this is the worst that happens to you, well, consider yourself blessed.

Believe me, I don't disagree with you at all. 

I just mentioned this from a golf perspective because this is a golf forum.

But you're right, there will be worse things to deal with for sure.

As I mentioned, I'm in the high risk group.

I'd rather think about the lesser consequences rather than the equally likely severe ones, at least in my case.

I think this would b a good time for Trackman, Foresight, or SkyTrak to reduce prices and advertise on here!

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

Based on the title buying most luxury items is a bad investment. The good thing with golf clubs is they don’t stop working from lack of use or when new stuff comes out and as long as grooves aren’t work out will last multiple seasons.

So gar courses here aren’t closed and as soon as Mother Nature allows ill be hitting balls

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

12 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Based on the title buying most luxury items is a bad investment. The good thing with golf clubs is they don’t stop working from lack of use or when new stuff comes out and as long as grooves aren’t work out will last multiple seasons.

So gar courses here aren’t closed and as soon as Mother Nature allows ill be hitting balls

It's my first new set in over twenty year, RB, so I wouldn't call it a luxury!

I've only had an all new set four times: 1972, 1978, 1997, and 2020.

So I should keep the PXGs that I got for my run through US Open qualifying??? Darn, I told the wife they were specific use clubs :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

4 hours ago, RetiredBoomer said:

Golf is a luxury. For some it can be more luxurious than others. Like many hobbies it can be as cheap or as expensive as a person chooses. Golf and golf clubs aren’t essential parts of life thus a luxury. Unless buying something like a tour putter from scotty cameron or a rare item the vast majority of golf purchases lose value the minute they are bought so anyone looking at purchases as an investment is in the wrong business 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

9 hours ago, RetiredBoomer said:

When golf does return for you, I hope you are healthy enough to enjoy your new clubs.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

9 hours ago, Mr. 82 said:

This. I don’t fear this virus but I most definitely fear what the government is doing to save us from it. The unreported death toll from the looming financial collapse, not to mention the millions and millions who will merely have their lives shattered, may be one for the record books.

On 3/18/2020 at 3:41 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Golf is a luxury. For some it can be more luxurious than others. Like many hobbies it can be as cheap or as expensive as a person chooses. Golf and golf clubs aren’t essential parts of life thus a luxury. Unless buying something like a tour putter from scotty cameron or a rare item the vast majority of golf purchases lose value the minute they are bought so anyone looking at purchases as an investment is in the wrong business 

The concept that golf equipment purchases are an investment is absolutely ludicrous and nobody, to my knowledge, has ever advanced that theory.

Golf equipment purchases are very obviously consumption, plain and simple.

And yes, playing golf itself is not a necessity, but it's a luxury in which all of us here indulge ourselves, so we shouldn't be too critical of each other.

As to how the game can be played cheaply, that a secret that you know and I don't. It's an obscenely expensive game as far as I can see.

You imply that spending three grand on clubs is excessive, but this is the fact if you have an adding machine.   Go to someplace like TGW, and without spending a dime on a custom fitting session or anything like that, add up the cost of fourteen new brand name brand clubs and a new bag, a couple dozen new balls, and try to do it for less than three grand.

I haven't bought a new set since 1997, so I am completely baffled at how buying one now can be considered an extravagance. 

From my perspective, we're carrying populism a little too far in this country and should all aspire to at least a small measure of elitism, just for the joy of it.

Edited by RetiredBoomer

14 hours ago, PuffyC said:

This. I don’t fear this virus but I most definitely fear what the government is doing to save us from it. The unreported death toll from the looming financial collapse, not to mention the millions and millions who will merely have their lives shattered, may be one for the record books.

People with different ideological leanings are going to disagree on the correct approaches from the local, state, and federal governments.

We live in a time when Americans can reach broad consensus on absolutely nothing.

Taking it beyond that brings us close to the moral codes.

11 minutes ago, RetiredBoomer said:

The concept that golf equipment purchases are an investment is absolutely ludicrous and nobody, to my knowledge, has ever advanced that theory.

And yes, playing golf itself is not a necessity, but it's a luxury in which all of us here indulge ourselves, so we shouldn't be too critical of each other.

As to how the game can be played cheaply, that a secret that you know and I don't. It's an obscenely expensive game as far as I can see.

You imply that spending three grand on clubs is excessive, but this is the fact if you have an adding machine.   Go to someplace like TGW, and without spending a dime on a custom fitting session or anything like that, add up the cost of fourteen new brand name brand clubs and a new bag, a couple dozen new balls, and try to do it for less than three grand.

I haven't bought a new set since 1978, so I am completely baffled at how buying one now can be considered an extravagance. 

From my perspective, we're carrying populism a little too far in this country and should all aspire to at least a small measure of elitism, just for the joy of it.

People that say golf equipment purchases are an investment are not talking about it in a financial perspective.  Of course, clubs are expensive if you choose to buy new, no matter where you buy them.  Of course, their value drops immediately upon purchase.  However, the equipment can be an investment in your game.  Each person must consider which clubs and related equipment they need to pursue this game and how much they are willing to spend.   Does certain equipment help you play better?  If it does, then you have made an investment in your game that will last for years.  If it doesn't, then you are choosing to spend money to simply have something different.  It's as simple as that.  

Many people have chosen to buy quality used equipment that will be better than what they had, and that is an "investment" in their game that cost only a fraction of new equipment.  There have been threads on the forum that listed quality equipment that can be purchased for less than $500 for everything.  The point of the thread is to show that someone starting out can make a cheap initial "investment" that will allow them to enjoy the game.  Do a search.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

6 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

The point of the thread is to show that someone starting out can make a cheap initial "investment" that will allow them to enjoy the game.  Do a search.

I'm sure that you're absolutely right about being able to piece together a good set from previously played equipment, and in that sense, that would be a good investment in his/her recreation.

But that was the point of your post, of course, rather than the point of my thread.

The point of my thread was my being pissed off about buying a new set and not being able to play with it!

39 minutes ago, RetiredBoomer said:

I haven't bought a new set since 1978, so I am completely baffled at how buying one now can be considered an extravagance. 

Believe or not some people and I’ve seen it on forums complain about the resale value of clubs. Why i have no idea but for some reason they feel like it shouldn’t happen. A brand new driver is worth 50% or less of the value the minute the purchase is completed

As I mentioned in my initial post the title of your thread implies $3k was wasted but by your own admission you don’t buy clubs very often so how is that money wasted if you miss a few months of golf over the course of several years of using the new clubs.

One with limited funds can play 9 holes instead of 18, play executive courses and local muni instead of the higher end or mid range courses. So there are numerous ways to spend little amounts of money playing or paying a lot by using high end courses, memberships of some sort whether private or semi private. Walk vs ride.

The number of golfers who walk into a big box store or local pro shop and buy 14 clubs or even 13 minus the putter in my experience isn’t the norm. What I have seen is most buy a new driver and woods/hybrids one year and irons the next or years later. This is based on my experience attending numerous demo days over the years and talking with my fitter regularly when I’m at the range. So while it may cost 3k or more to fill a bag it’s not the norm. 

People that say golf equipment purchases are an investment are not talking about it in a financial perspective.  Of course, clubs are expensive if you choose to buy new, no matter where you buy them.  Of course, their value drops immediately upon purchase.  However, the equipment can be an investment in your game.  Each person must consider which clubs and related equipment they need to pursue this game and how much they are willing to spend.   Does certain equipment help you play better?  If it does, then you have made an investment in your game that will last for years.  If it doesn't, then you are choosing to spend money to simply have something different.  It's as simple as that.  
Many people have chosen to buy quality used equipment that will be better than what they had, and that is an "investment" in their game that cost only a fraction of new equipment.  There have been threads on the forum that listed quality equipment that can be purchased for less than $500 for everything.  The point of the thread is to show that someone starting out can make a cheap initial "investment" that will allow them to enjoy the game.  Do a search.

To this point I will go the extreme opposite with my son’s bag. Last year he went from Jr clubs to men’s clubs and with the way he is growing i didn’t want to build him a bag that he would outgrow in a year or so.

Driver: TM M2 with stock S shaft $85
Fairway: TM M2 with stock S shaft $50
Hybrid: TM M2 19* with stock S shaft $60
Hybrid: TM Aeroburner 22* stock S shaft $20
Irons: Callaway Steelhead XR 5-AW KBS 90s R flex $315 new on clearance
Wedges: Callaway MD Forged 54* & 58* $100 total from CPO
Putter: Scotty Futura 5r (from my stash)
Bag: Ogio Black Ops Carry bag $90 off eBay

All in I am just over $700 for an entire bag with some pretty nice stuff in it. I would have taken this as a 13 year old in a heartbeat.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

19 minutes ago, Mr. 82 said:

Please don't feed the troll.

I suppose that this is meant to mean something, Mr. 82, but whatever that happens to be is lost on me.

I can't begin to guess how my thread would be considered trolling.

If I don't find a thread particularly interesting, I merely move on to another one.

If there's an "ignore" function on this forum, you might simply consider putting me on it rather than accusing me of being a troll.

To which I would add that I haven't read anything of yours to make me think that we've found our new Hemingway.

13 hours ago, Mr. 82 said:

Please don't feed the troll.

Referred by: NiftyNiblick

Need I say more?

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

7 hours ago, GB13 said:

Referred by: NiftyNiblick

Need I say more?

yeah, well, it was easy to identify, and just as easy to put on ignore.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

On 3/19/2020 at 9:28 AM, Kenny B said:

People that say golf equipment purchases are an investment are not talking about it in a financial perspective.

I played my PE2's for 32 years and feel that I amortized that investment to the point that my G410's were essentially free 🙂

On 3/18/2020 at 8:19 AM, RetiredBoomer said:

Perhaps I missed it in the subsequent posts, but what did you buy?  Were you fitted for them?  

I'm going to stay clear of the other proclamations being made and ensuing discussion as I choose not to think the worst and believe we'll be back to normal sooner than later.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 3/18/2020 at 10:51 AM, JonMUSC08 said:

I think this would b a good time for Trackman, Foresight, or SkyTrak to reduce prices and advertise on here!

We think alike.  I was hoping TGC 2019 would lower their pricing.  No luck.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

On 3/20/2020 at 3:43 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Perhaps I missed it in the subsequent posts, but what did you buy?  Were you fitted for them?  

I bought a whole pile of stuff for which I wasn't fitted, had buyer's remorse, and got them to take it all back. 

Then, realizing that this would probably be my last set, I did it all over again. Still not fitted.

And it came to about three grand...again.

Since this inexplicably bothers some people, as threads immediately above suggest, I guess I'll hold off on a WITB for now.

May never get to play with it anyway unless things get a lot better than they are now.

It's like living in WestWorld with the robots running amuck and the humans sheltering in cover.

Edited by RetiredBoomer

1 hour ago, RetiredBoomer said:

I bought a whole pile of stuff for which I wasn't fitted, had buyer's remorse, and got them to take it all back. 

Then, realizing that this would probably be my last set, I did it all over again. Still not fitted.

And it came to about three grand...again.

Since this inexplicably bothers some people, as threads immediately above suggest, I guess I'll hold off on a WITB for now.

May never get to play with it anyway unless things get a lot better than they are now.

It's like living in WestWorld with the robots running amuck and the humans sheltering in cover.

Might as well sell and get your money back. The doom and gloom is silly. 

I hoping golf will come back. But if you don’t think this changes everyone’s lives forever you’re blowing smoke up your own arse.

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter: Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver: Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood : Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW: Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW: Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW: Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips:  Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag

No one buys clubs as an investment. No clubs I know of hold their value. 2019 clubs can be had now at a greatly reduced price.  There may be others, but I’ve only seen one recent driver even come close to holding its value. The Callaway Epic Flash. How long you gamed your old clubs really doesn’t matter. Technology is as advanced as its ever been. And it’s worth the price, IF you decide to take golf seriously. $3000 bucks is not a lot, as far as equipment goes. And “investing” in your game does not make your clubs an “investment”. That’s just silly word games.  As for the state of the game, April will tell us a lot, and as long as the courses open, I’ll play. But my immediate future looks grim. 

Edited by CaptainHacker