Are you playing golf during the coronavirus outbreak?

Golf during a pandemic  

350 members have voted

1. 1. Are you playing golf during the coronavirus outbreak?

• Yes
    • No

Our Sponsors

1 hour ago, Rickp said:

Can’t cancel the Bacon Boyzemoji106.png
Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I thought they were now called the sausage boys 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Allie and I played 9 this evening on a local upscale par 3 (attached to an upscale daily fee).  She hit a nice one on this hole, well inside of me, and made the putt for birdie.  She was ornery all da

I agree with you, that I enjoy walking more than riding.  But it's a combination of things here, see my post above about our course.  Then couple that with I'm 60 and have had both knees replaced and

Posted Images

I thought they were now called the sausage boys 

Can’t change Tradition.

• Haha 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I find it interesting how many of us CAN play.

Everything is pretty much shut down up here.

Our flagsticks weren't in yet, but I enjoy my club for so much more than just golf.  

Now I'm stuck at home and only go out to walk the dog.

My wife won't even let me go to the supermarket. She goes and I have to cook whatever she brings home.

It seems that different areas are treating this thing much differently.

Edited by RetiredBoomer
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Update from a course perspective.

Until Today we were pretty much operating at 80% normalcy.  Meaning the course was open, the bar/grill is closed.  Flagsticks removed.  Told people to not rake bunkers, just play lift and place to your liking 🙂   Then of course as many touch points inside and outside being continually sanitized, including carts etc.

That all changed today in a major way.

We are open for WALKING ONLY at a rate of $20---normal green fee $49 weekday $65 weekend.  The golf shop will be closed completely beginning Thursday, people that want to play and walk, will be required to pay online.   So basically no admittance to inside the clubhouse.  Driving range also closed.  

The majority of our weekday golfers are seniors who aren't able to walk the course, so we'll be pretty deserted during the week.  

We think it's just a matter of time before the word comes to shut down completely. 😢

Yep, just got the email about the course changes.  I hate to say it but I think you are right - they will most likely shut the golf courses down.  They have already shutdown any of the parks that you have to pay to get into (which is pretty much all of them, LOL) for even fishing which isn't a communal activity...lol. 

MDGolfHacker

• Sad 2

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP-20 SEL Project X 5.5 shafts 5-PW

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB Project X 5.5 shaft 4 Iron

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I'm playing while I'm here in Florida. Leaving the pin in, like usual. I'll see what happens at Windmill when I get back, but they're saying the course is open depending on weather.

• Like 3

In the bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Fairway: Sub 70 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :755178188_TourEdge: CBX 119 19° hybrid Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I wish I was playing golf, and I would be if it wasn’t raining every day. In a few months when there are 50 million living in cardboard boxes or camped out on the golf course because they no longer have jobs or homes any more that may change.

• Sad 1

I just finished playing 9. The little 9 hole course was packed. The snack bar was closed but the shop was open.

Fist bumps, that’s about all that was different

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Played today at Gulf Winds GC on Corpus Christi Naval Air Station. Sunny, 80 degrees, winds 30 gusting to 37. Shot 85. Couple of drives went 300 plus downwind. LOL. No changes in routine with the exception that only 2 people can sit at a table to adhere to social distancing guide lines in the restaurant.

• Like 2

Retired Army aviator. 2 Vietnam tours flying Hueys.

Was able to play as a 6some today .... 6 guys, 6 carts.  No touching the flag stick, no raking the bunkers, keep distance between us on green and tee areas, no handshaking .... other than that, we still busted each others chops as normal 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Until Today we were pretty much operating at 80% normalcy.  Meaning the course was open, the bar/grill is closed.  Flagsticks removed.  Told people to not rake bunkers, just play lift and place to your liking    Then of course as many touch points inside and outside being continually sanitized, including carts etc.
We are open for WALKING ONLY at a rate of $20---normal green fee $49 weekday $65 weekend.  The golf shop will be closed completely beginning Thursday, people that want to play and walk, will be required to pay online.   So basically no admittance to inside the clubhouse.  Driving range also closed.  
The majority of our weekday golfers are seniors who aren't able to walk the course, so we'll be pretty deserted during the week.  
We think it's just a matter of time before the word comes to shut down completely. 

Sorry to hear it Grasshopper

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Played 18 today. Saw a fair amount of people on the course, but I kept distance from everyone else. I walked and played by myself. When I checked in for my tee time, the pro shop doors were wide open for ventilation, and I was able to check-in from like 15 feet away. Had hand sanitizer with me.

Probably overly paranoid, but all my belongings that I touched while on the course, I put them through a UV sanitizing machine my wife bought for our house, haha.

• Like 1

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

8 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Until Today we were pretty much operating at 80% normalcy.  Meaning the course was open, the bar/grill is closed.  Flagsticks removed.  Told people to not rake bunkers, just play lift and place to your liking 🙂   Then of course as many touch points inside and outside being continually sanitized, including carts etc.

We think it's just a matter of time before the word comes to shut down completely. 😢

Rob - Talk to us about the realities of a course shutdown.  How do you shut a golf course down once the growing season has started?  How do you not maintain it?  What happens if you can't mow for weeks on end while the grass is growing?  Listening to The Fried Egg this morning, Geoff Shackleford mentioned that not maintaining a course would cause problems, but he didn't go into any deep details. 

I would imagine that going without maintenance for a month or more during the growing season would create some significant issues once you were able to reopen.

And that's assuming you can get your maintenance team back after they've gone so long without work.  That's going to be brutal for those folks to go without work for an extended period of time.  Which makes me think that we'll need to do something to help them out.

• Like 3

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
4 Wood (17*) - :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha S2H2 - RCH 90 "Firm"
4i - GW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
SW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

We've just got an update. Normal club events can continue, all district events are cancelled. Looking for positives, I can say that I finished the pennant season undefeated.

Our guidelines are as follows

AROUND THE COURSE

• Local Rule change: putting must be done with the flagstick in.
  • No bunker rakes. We ask that you smooth over with your foot or club.
  • The electronic card reading facilities in the clubhouse breezeway have been turned off. Please book your tee time via your mobile device, home computer or over the phone via the Pro Shop.
  • As a result, all score cards must be collected from the Pro Shop.
  • Players are asked to mark their own card, record the score of your playing partner, and have the card signed by your marker and yourself.
  • At the conclusion of your round, please place your scorecard in the tray in the breezeway. Staff will process them using appropriate personal protective equipment.
  • Cart Usage: Carts can no longer be shared. One person per cart only. As cart numbers are limited and each cart is required to be cleaned after use we encourage only those who require them to request carts.
  • Shotgun events will be cancelled or modified. Guest days will be postponed. One tee starts will be implemented where possible.
  • Nearest the Pins will not be awarded & no markers will be on course.
  • The drinks cart will continue to operate with increased hygiene measures.

Seats have been removed from the clubhouse to ensure separation, but I think numbers going in after a round will be greatly reduced.

Looks like I'll get some practice on short putts with the flag in😉

• Like 4

:ping-small:  G400 SFT with Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods with Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:cobra-small: F8 4 Hybrid
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:mizuno-small: S18 Wedges 50,54,58
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Firstly I hope you are all keeping well. Just wondering if people have good advice for keeping safe and what other clubs/golfers might be doing to mitigate the impact. Friends and I have a golf weekend planned in two weeks time, but will likely cancel as it is a Hotel and golf course set-up. Disappointing but important for considering others and our own health. Are people still playing as the game itself is outdoors and you can keep a certain amount of social distance etc.

I am getting out and playing as weather permits. Walk the course, don’t take out the pin, don’t shake hands. Being out in nature is so peaceful in this chaotic time, I found it to be even more uplifting than normal!

• Like 3

P790s/M5 Driver/F9 3wood/F9 hybrid/MG2 wedges/Ardmore putter

walked 18 yesterday.... got to the course around 10 and it was mostly a ghost town.

There were 2 guys on the putting green when I got there and I was going to wait for them to go out first but I overheard them on the phone w/their buddy who forgot to change his clock and was an hour late (LOL) so I went out ahead of them.

It was a glorious day in New England - mid fifties, sunny, no wind - and I felt like I had the course to myself. Normally the place would be buzzing...especially with all the golfers having been cooped up for the winter.

I walked (always do) and didn't take the pin out (since the rule change I never did anyway) so it was business as usual for me.

Saw a few more groups on the back 9...mostly walkers, a few solo carts.

I'd do it every day if I could .... 25.00 when the regular rate is 49 and a really spiritual and relaxing experience to enjoy nature and the birth of spring....

• Like 6

StrokerAce
:tour-edge: EXS 220
:cobra-small:  King F7 3w 
:callaway-small:  SuperHybrid 20
:titelist-small:  818H1 23
--------------------------
:srixon-small: Z785 KBS CTaper lite
:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 54/58 
:bettinardi-small:  SS38 Armlock 
--------------------------
:918457628_PrecisionPro: nx7 pro rangefinder
:1590477705_SunMountain:  C130 cart bag
Franklin, MA; Right Handed; 10
"the club face sends it, the path bends it..."

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

walked 18 yesterday.... got to the course around 10 and it was mostly a ghost town.

There were 2 guys on the putting green when I got there and I was going to wait for them to go out first but I overheard them on the phone w/their buddy who forgot to change his clock and was an hour late (LOL) so I went out ahead of them.

It was a glorious day in New England - mid fifties, sunny, no wind - and I felt like I had the course to myself. Normally the place would be buzzing...especially with all the golfers having been cooped up for the winter.

I walked (always do) and didn't take the pin out (since the rule change I never did anyway) so it was business as usual for me.

Saw a few more groups on the back 9...mostly walkers, a few solo carts.

I'd do it every day if I could .... 25.00 when the regular rate is 49 and a really spiritual and relaxing experience to enjoy nature and the birth of spring....

It's refreshing to see your optimism.  Sometimes having more balls than brains can be fun.

My club is closed, so I don't have the opportunity to choose.

Good luck and good health to you and yours.

The coronavirus wouldn't prevent me from going golfing, however I'm not sure that the situation will afford me the time to get out there and go golfing, at least for the next few weeks.  With daycare closing and working remotely from home there's not a lot of free time around the house during daylight hours now.  Man I would kill for an at home sim right now.

I'm hopeful that the current guidelines were all operating under will allow us to return to normal work/life patterns in a month or so.

• Like 1

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6X

:cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - PX LZ 6.5

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x vs :Snell: MTB-X vs :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

#cuetheduckboats

15 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Rob - Talk to us about the realities of a course shutdown.  How do you shut a golf course down once the growing season has started?  How do you not maintain it?  What happens if you can't mow for weeks on end while the grass is growing?  Listening to The Fried Egg this morning, Geoff Shackleford mentioned that not maintaining a course would cause problems, but he didn't go into any deep details. 

I would imagine that going without maintenance for a month or more during the growing season would create some significant issues once you were able to reopen.

And that's assuming you can get your maintenance team back after they've gone so long without work.  That's going to be brutal for those folks to go without work for an extended period of time.  Which makes me think that we'll need to do something to help them out.

Mike...Good question, and one that was addressed immediately and fortunately with good foresight. 

If it comes to a full closure.  The Superintendent and two to three members of his crew will remain on duty.  They will maintain the course as usual, with the exception of cutting new hole locations each day 🙂

But regular cutting of the greens and tee boxes would continue.  Rough areas might go a tad longer than normal to be cut, as it's not really high at this time to the early season.  

But our Super said, you can't just let the grass on the green grow for say 3 weeks, then come in a whack it back down to 3/8 of an inch or whatever height you use, as it would create stress on the "plant".  

In all actuality it would be good for the course, due to such a mild winter we had unusually high volume of play all winter.   The course never got a week or two of snow cover to rest and recover.   Believe it or not, I learned from our Super that snow actually acts as a blanket to the grass during extreme cold.  Once it's covered the grass for a day or so the grass warms up.

• Like 4

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12