Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Am I nuts for loving an 8802?

morningteesheet

I'm another that keeps going back to this style putter, or the Geo Low Wizard style.  Have several different models, from different manufacturers, and different eras.  

One thing worth noting....  there are some models that have an MOI equivalent or possibly even higher than you might find in an Anser-a-like.  The Snake Eyes Viper Tour blade has an MOI higher than a Ping Anser, for example.  I expect that's largely due to the slightly larger size (it's not that much bigger than my 8813), but more the heavier weight.  I can't remember the exact number, but I do know it was considerably higher.

It won't compete with some of the heavy backweighted mallets out there now, but it will with anything in the heel/toe weighted, Anser-ish world.

I expect the modern 8802 probably has a higher MOI than we suspect, just due to the added weight.  My Yes! Nicky (moderately heavy) is surprisingly forgiving on the brutally bad strokes I occasionally inflict on it.

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

• 2 weeks later...

Deion Sanders said, "if you look good, you feel good.  If you feel good, you play good."  I know he's not a golfer (to my knowledge), but it makes sense to me.  So many people want to analyze the stroke path/type and match that to a style of putter and neck.  In theory that makes sense.  Maybe even statistically.  However, I tend to putt better with a putter that looks good to me.  I've been through far too many in 20+ years of a love/hate relationship with golf.  I've had Pings, Scottys, Oddysseys, Bettinardis, and some that I'm sure I'm forgetting.  I putt better when I'm confident in what I'm swinging.  Others may feel different.  If it doesn't look good, it's not for you.  Then again, I'm the guy that wouldn't consider the new Callaway woods because of the green accents (my least favorite color if it isn't money).

Currently in my Sun Mountain Phantom

Driver:  Callaway Rogue

4W:  Callaway Rogue

7W:  Callaway Rogue

4-GW:  PXG 0211

SW/LW:  Taylor Made Milled Grind

Putter:  PXG Mustang Gen 1

On 3/28/2020 at 8:32 PM, braincramp said:

Love it! I'm still going to own a Yonex like Phil played when he first came out.

That is a Yonex ADX---- I had one with the composite graphite shaft------  One of the young assistants at our course loved it and I helped him pass his PAT test. He used it and passed with flying colors. I gave him that putter since I have so many putters. Out of all the putters I own I do not own a real 8802 I own a Cleveland Designed By and a Little David 8802. Most of my putters in that style are Mac Iron Masters. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

If it works it works!  I think putters are the most personal club in the bag.  If you're hitting it on your line it seems like you might just be giving up a little bit of distance control on mishits.  Have you checked to see how consistent you are striking it?

I'd imagine there's some advantage to this old school style for quick downhill putts as you can purposely hit it off the toe to get less energy transferred to the ball and make a more comfortable stroke.

Also, you're opponents will moral will decrease 37 points every time you sink a putt greater than 5 feet with it.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

5 hours ago, B.Boston said:

If it works it works!  I think putters are the most personal club in the bag.  If you're hitting it on your line it seems like you might just be giving up a little bit of distance control on mishits.  Have you checked to see how consistent you are striking it?

I'd imagine there's some advantage to this old school style for quick downhill putts as you can purposely hit it off the toe to get less energy transferred to the ball and make a more comfortable stroke.

Also, you're opponents will moral will decrease 37 points every time you sink a putt greater than 5 feet with it.

Yep you got it there old buddy toe putting a little slick slider or a big one down hill. I can do it with my Santa Fe too--- Really want to get them howling? Do a little 5 footer or so down hill by belly topping a wedge. Had a guy try to call me on that one in a Mini Tour event one time--- Nothing in the rules of golf says you absolutely have to use a club designated ( by USGA specs on design) a putter on the putting green

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• 2 weeks later...
  • Guests
Guest Delete

I just picked one up similar. It definitely requires a good stroke. I will use it to practice delivery to make my game better. 

This 8802 style by Flanagan has been a good stick for me.3EF5AE96-9688-4F56-BFFC-6FBEE943F587.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

RickP, that's a nice Flanigan you got there. I too have a slight obsession with the 8802 cut throats since there's day when there's truly magic in the metal. The heaviest one I have is an Odyssey Black Series 8 @ ~340g, then a second hand Designed By Cleveland model that I got for $20 and lastly, a Walter Hagen Gentle Ben...I don't know what the specs are on the last two but they feel considerably lighter and provide great touch and distance control. There's just something so primal and fundamental about the design that forces you focus that much harder on making a pure, confident stroke. There's no alignment aides other than the top leading edge and no high tech to help out, so if you "do" start rolling them in ...you're the reason, not the putter. As pure as it gets, which does worlds for your confidence. On the days you're off a lot or just a little...you're left bleeding and questioning if you should have brought the easier to use/align/high-moi/high-tech putter you left at home. Still comes down to your stroke and trusting it. Good stuff.

• 1 month later...

A little late to the topic, but gotta say there is nothing like the 8802 style putter.  So simple and basic, it is genius.  I have 3.  The Ray Cook Classic Plus II, Wilson Tour Special I, and "The Original" Arnold Palmer. The key for me is to just grip it light, start it smooth, and let it move on its own path.  

4-P Hogan Edge (2018 version)

52 degree Hogan Equalier wedge

Arnold Palmer The Original  putter

Founder Club  hybrid 18 degrees

Taylor Made Burner 3 & 5 wood.

I have always loved this style of putter.  I just put back in my bag an old Scotty Del Mar.  I want to see if I can find that head shape in a Bettinardi if possible that will not cost me an arm and a leg.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"