Am I nuts for loving an 8802?

Our Sponsors

Hey gang,

I'm loving all the offseason work I'm doing with my Wilson Staff Milled 8802 and feel really confident that it will be my gamer once this craziness subsides, but am I nuts? It's old school tech and doesn't take advantage of all the new advancements in putter technology. Anyone still trust in these old models?

Update:

I'm loving the feedback and discussion! I might as well add some pics and background on my 8802. I had it totally standard at 35" and was actually ready to get rid of it. I couldn't generate a consistent stroke and it just didn't have good feel. So I took the grip off and decided to knock an inch off of it. What I found is that Wilson seems to put a long weight plug in the butt of the club. We basically sliced right through it and put the grip back on. The shorter length and the drop in counterweight made all the difference. The stroke got comfortable and the feel came back, it was a very happy accident. I wish I knew why Wilson put such a big counterweight in something with such a small head.

IMG_2411.JPG.ce0323fdbc36e63618bf2af455edce91.JPG

IMG_2412.JPG.7733e21a7b9b7a132b4927ca6f1d9bd1.JPG

IMG_2413.JPG.15a765b73540f6ac242ae57233f04f86.JPG

Thanks!

Edited by morningteesheet
  • Like 5
  • Mini driver: Ping Rapture 13* w/ Aldila nv 2kxv blue X70
  • 3 Utility: 18* Hogan Ft Worth Hi w/ DGS300
  • 5, 7, 9 Irons: Hogan Ft Worth 25*, 33*, 41* w/ DGS300
  • Wedges: Hogan TK 49*, 57* w/ DGS300
  • Putter: Wilson Staff 8802 milled 
  • Bag: Shapland Stand Bag

As long as you're sinking putts like you think you should...

• Like 3

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Not crazy. Great putter as long as it works for you. I like@Chisag use a Bobby Grace 6330.

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

if it works, it works. I remember Big Stu talking about a friend putting lights out with a Bullseye putter. 

• Like 3
What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Accra TZ5 Proto 65 M5 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Tour Blue 75X 

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, TT DG S300 HS 1x

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX 45.8, 50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S300

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

46 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Awesome! I think tech is a huge benefit for all golfers. How much and what kind of tech for your particular game is always the big question. I started with an 8802 and had a rather substantial gated stroke, which was 100% instinctive and I have never changed. Putting is arguably the strongest part of my game and thru the years I have tried other putters but always come back to a blade heel shafted putter because as Barbajo said, I am sinking more putts with them. If you have a repeatable stroke and hit the center consistently, I think tech is irrelevant on a putter head that is moving so very, very slowly compared to other golf clubs. Obviously the least consistent and the more you miss the center, you should use all the tech you can manage. But confidence is King when it comes to putting and whatever head gives you the most confidence is the one you should use from an 8802 to a Spider. They all work. My 6330 has weights in the heel and toe as well as a face insert for roll technology, so I kinda have the best of all worlds. Here is a few of my putters starting with my Bobby Grace 6330 on the far right followed by Bettinardi BB2, YES Sophia, Tour Edge Ti-Copper 4555, Black Milled 8802 and my original 8802. 

Putters.thumb.JPG.d086e566a294abb81ea8363f1df46e49.JPG

I think I need a moment alone...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

53 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Awesome! I think tech is a huge benefit for all golfers. How much and what kind of tech for your particular game is always the big question. I started with an 8802 and had a rather substantial gated stroke, which was 100% instinctive and I have never changed. Putting is arguably the strongest part of my game and thru the years I have tried other putters but always come back to a blade heel shafted putter because as Barbajo said, I am sinking more putts with them. If you have a repeatable stroke and hit the center consistently, I think tech is irrelevant on a putter head that is moving so very, very slowly compared to other golf clubs. Obviously the least consistent and the more you miss the center, you should use all the tech you can manage. But confidence is King when it comes to putting and whatever head gives you the most confidence is the one you should use from an 8802 to a Spider. They all work. My 6330 has weights in the heel and toe as well as a face insert for roll technology, so I kinda have the best of all worlds. Here is a few of my putters starting with my Bobby Grace 6330 on the far right followed by Bettinardi BB2, YES Sophia, Tour Edge Ti-Copper 4555, Black Milled 8802 and my original 8802. 

Putters.thumb.JPG.d086e566a294abb81ea8363f1df46e49.JPG

We are all in lockdown and you go and throw this at us!! The itch to get out just keeps growing and then I see this and it becomes uncontrollably. You should be ashamed of yourself...

🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             2 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey  SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Nah.  Its still one of the most beautiful putters ever made.

• Like 2

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 18*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Tommy Armour VCG 56*

Putter: Wilson Augusta

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

The 8802 is a classic putter.  The putting stroke really needs to be repeating and a gate stroke works best.  I love the shape of this putter and wouldn't rule out picking up a really nice Designed by Arnold Palmer one day.  I have a Scotty Cameron American Classic VII and a Cleveland Classic Corey Pavin in my reduced arsenal of putters.  It is fun to bring out the ACVII out from time to time and give it a waggle and stroke.

2005amclassicvii_3.jpg

Edited by RobotDoctor
  • Like 3

Love it! I'm still going to own a Yonex like Phil played when he first came out.

• Like 3

Titleist TS2 , Titleist 917 3 wood , Titleist 818 H2 hybrid 19, Wilson V6 3-GW , Ping Glide 58ES , Bettinardi Queen B

The Wilson 8802 is like the Acushnet Bullseye, the Spalding Cash In, the Ram Zebra, the Ping Anser, and other putters that have won far too many matches to be considered anything but mainstream, no matter how old that they are.

• Like 3

I personally love the 8802 style putter. I have copies of that from Flanagan and 2 from Lajosi.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

@chisag I am showing my young to the game ignorance; what is a gated stroke?

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:ping-small: G410+, Tensei Orange
:nike-small: Vapor Fly 3, Diamana Blue, Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:titelist-small: -ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

3 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

@chisag I am showing my young to the game ignorance; what is a gated stroke?

... Many with what I call a natural putting stroke simply execute it like a mini swing. Called Gated because it is like opening a gate. Starting with a square face, the putter moves back from the ball traveling on an arc inside the line while the face opens. Then starts back toward the ball on that same arc the face returning to square at impact, then arcing inside with the face closing. It is natural and makes no adjustments to keep the putter head on line. Many using a gated stroke have the ball at address a few inches outside their eye line which helps a natural stroke. 

• Like 2

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

Not even the least bit crazy to be gaming a 8802. As long as you're confident with it keep it rolling.

In my bag:

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 10.5* lofted down to 9.0* Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6X

Wood: :cobra-small: Speedzone Tour Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7X

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: MIM Tour Irons 4-PW Project X 6.5

Wedges: :cobra-small: MIM Black 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X 

On 3/30/2020 at 2:57 PM, chisag said:

... Many with what I call a natural putting stroke simply execute it like a mini swing. Called Gated because it is like opening a gate. Starting with a square face, the putter moves back from the ball traveling on an arc inside the line while the face opens. Then starts back toward the ball on that same arc the face returning to square at impact, then arcing inside with the face closing. It is natural and makes no adjustments to keep the putter head on line. Many using a gated stroke have the ball at address a few inches outside their eye line which helps a natural stroke. 

Ah I gotcha.  So would I be wrong in associating a gated/natural putting stroke to someone with a strong arc stroke? 

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:ping-small: G410+, Tensei Orange
:nike-small: Vapor Fly 3, Diamana Blue, Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:titelist-small: -ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Ah I gotcha.  So would I be wrong in associating a gated/natural putting stroke to someone with a strong arc stroke? 

No. Slight arc vs strong arc is more about the curve of the path the putter travels. SBST in theory has no arc, slight would be more of an ellipse, and strong more of a circle.
Gate/rotation is more about how much the Putter opens and closes as it travels along that path.
  • Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

... There are more than a few variables like how close you stand to the ball, how much you bend from the waist and the length of  your putter  that determine how much arc a natural stroke will have for each golfer. As cnosil said everyone has some arc, even SBST putters unless they really manipulate the path with contortions that should only be attempted by member of Cirque du Soleil.  

• Like 3

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5