Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

2020 Official Member Review: PING G710 Irons

So, since we're in a bit of uncharted territory here I figured I'd open up to the thread with this question. What's the one thing you want to know most about these irons through the testing process?

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

So, since we're in a bit of uncharted territory here I figured I'd open up to the thread with this question. What's the one thing you want to know most about these irons through the testing process?
Gapping between the clubs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

5 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

What's the overall playability of these clubs?  Do they feel good to play with because of the balance and weighting of the clubs,  or because of how the ball responds to the clubface? Congrats to all the testers! Looking forward to hearing some honest feedback!

Congratulations all!

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

12 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

If I was chosen I was going to look at the distance factor. These irons are advertised like every other club added distance. The loft is lower than my current irons so are they truly longer and more forgiving on bad shots. 2nd how does the black wear over use?

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Im super. excited to get this opportunity. I'm in need of new irons so this came at a perfect time! My wife might be even more excited knowing I will stop talking about getting new ones haha

But I appreciate the love/support from everyone. Looking forward to getting my hands on these. If there is anything specific you are interested in learning about, let us know and we'll provide feedback. ...when we can

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

Perfect time of the year to do the Testing/Review.
I’m looking for your takes on feel & how the finish holds up. It’s a beautiful looking iron (I’ve seen them in the wild) but have not had a chance to hit them due to Snowbirds and now the Virus and store closings.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I'm with the rest of the group wondering how the finish will hold up. I'm also curious to see how much distance you all gain compared to your current setups and how well these will hold a green. Any of you guys planning on doing an iron only round or two?

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

3 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

I'm with the rest of the group wondering how the finish will hold up. I'm also curious to see how much distance you all gain compared to your current setups and how well these will hold a green. Any of you guys planning on doing an iron only round or two?

If the demand is there, I'll guarantee I'll do one.

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

SIK Golf Flo-C

22 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

I'd be curious on how you went about the fitting process.  Did you match your current set up?  If so, were you fit for that setup, and do you feel like your current setup works or is there a "big miss?"  Did you have a recent fitting before all of us were shutdown that you're matching?

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

21 minutes ago, goaliewales14 said:

I'd be curious on how you went about the fitting process.  Did you match your current set up?  If so, were you fit for that setup, and do you feel like your current setup works or is there a "big miss?"  Did you have a recent fitting before all of us were shutdown that you're matching?

Oh don't worry Goalie, if there is one thing I make sure to throw in these threads it's my fitting that I go through,  that's a forsureski

SIK Golf Flo-C

On 3/20/2020 at 4:20 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

Official Review Thread: PING G710 Irons

Image with no description

It's a special joy for me to announce the reviewers of the PING G710 irons. PING iron tests are always among our most-applied-for, (dare I say) most wanted review opportunities. I had the privilege of getting in on the test of the predecessor to the G710s and have shot the best rounds of my life with my G700s. I am absolutely looking forward to seeing how the sequels perform in the hands of our four forum testers!

Without further ado, our reviewers will be:

Join me in congratulating these four and in following their reviews here!

Congratulation to this fab four!

Looks like a great group...enjoy the ride!

image.jpeg.940ef7ce4e92f0e2dde1abb27edfb72f.jpeg

:cobra-small: SpeedZone Pars and Stripes 9.5* Driver 14gm weight in back, VENTUS Blue 6-R set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: 14.5* Fairway,  18.5* Fairway, 22.5* Fairway.  All with Tensei CK Blue R set to +1* draw.

:titleist-small:  816H1 27* Hybrid w/ Diamana Blue Board 70 HY Stiff Shaft

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 5 + 6   KBS Tour 80 R

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 7, 8, 9  KBS Tour 90 R                                     

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE P, G, S  KBS Wedge

:cobra-small: King Black ONE 60*  VO8*      True Temper Dynamic Gold Black

Lamkin Crossline Cord Connect Black Mid-size plus 2 wraps

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip               :Arccos:                                                                                                                                                               

:titleist-small:  -ProV1x  Align XL  

All in a :cobra-small:  Masters Staff Bag  or  SpeedZone stand bag

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                

BirdieBall Outdoor Putting Green                                 

Congrats testers! How cool is this?!!!

im most curious about spin, green holding on the scoring irons, and distance gains. I’m pretty sure they’ll be so point and shoot units, but will they stay stuck to the short grass once you get there...

looking forward to your experiences, gitter done,!

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Congrats guys. Start the season off right. What a great group... 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Congrats everyone!  These look so nice.

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

Well it could be a few weeks before we get fit for obvious reasons.
I currently game TM Rocketbladz Tour irons I was fit for back when they came out. These Pings will be much more aggressive in loft in comparison. I’m anticipating 1 or 2 clubs difference from my current set up. My main issue is hitting GIR so if I’m able to hit shorter clubs a longer (more controlled) distance than I HOPE to hit more GIR. We’ll see....

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

On 3/20/2020 at 5:20 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

Without further ado, our reviewers will be:

Join me in congratulating these four and in following their reviews here!

Congratulations gents!  Looking forward to it.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Congrats everyone. Hope this BS clears up and the courses open for you all!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Been watching and reading a bunch of reviews on the G710 in preparation. Sounds like the black finish is easily scratched up. Similar issue that the G700 had except more prevalent given the black color.

On the flip side, everyone seems to be impressed with the performance. At the end of the day, if you drop a few strokes, isn't that what matters?

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

On 3/22/2020 at 1:13 PM, sirchunksalot said:

Im with you all.... wondering how the finish holds up. Seems to be a common theme.

I KNOW i'll gain at least 1 extra club. In perspective, my 2013 TM Rocketbladez Tour 7-iron is 33.75deg. The Ping G710 7-iron is 29.5deg (can be power spec'd to 28deg)! I could get nearly 6deg more!

Assuming I can hit this 4-iron well and also get at least 200yds from it, i might try an all-iron round.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

13 minutes ago, JonMUSC08 said:

Im with you all.... wondering how the finish holds up. Seems to be a common theme.

I KNOW i'll gain at least 1 extra club. In perspective, my 2013 TM Rocketbladez Tour 7-iron is 33.75deg. The Ping G710 7-iron is 29.5deg (can be power spec'd to 28deg)! I could get nearly 6deg more!

Assuming I can hit this 4-iron well and also get at least 200yds from it, i might try an all-iron round.

End of last year I got the g410 and I hadn't hit a 4 iron in years. My previous set was 5-P, but I wanted to try one so I included it in my set.

I've hit it both off the turf and off the tee and more times than not it has been fantastic - 200+ yard straight shots. I was really surprised.

I don't think you should have any problems with the 4 iron.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

On 3/22/2020 at 7:42 PM, goaliewales14 said:

The testers already know this, but to update everyone on the forum so you don't start wondering where the hold up is.

PING is currently in the middle of a two week mandated shutdown.  When they do open, we don't know at what capacity it will be.   PING is 100% committed do doing this testing, but will do so without putting their field reps and fitters at risk.   So it may take a while to get everyone's  fitting done, but I know the wait will be worth it for the testers and ultimately for the forum readers. 

We will keep you up to date on any information we get.  

In the meantime,  keep  the conversation going!! 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

So, I'll jump in here with a look at my past iron history, of which I've never been through a full fitting for. 

The first set of irons I ever had past the box set level was a set of Nike CPR irons, and this was a set before Nike included the CPR hybrid in these iron sets so it was a typical 3-PW set, with nice wide soles. I played these irons through high school and college. They were not very techie, just a red badge cavity back iron with wide soles. I loved those clubs and still have them. Admittedly, and you'll notice this trend, I didn't strike the long irons well on a consistent basis. However, that 3 and 4 iron were good for stingers, punches, and recovery, but maybe not my best weapon off the fairway.

The next set was a controversial selection. You see, I had found a great deal on a brand new set of Adams A7 irons on eBay. I bought them for around 300 bucks, but they were never delivered. Turned out, the guy was a sham artist and I had been had in my early 20's. I called up eBay and threatened to sue the guy unless my money was returned. They helped me get my cash back so I went to Dick's and picked up a similar set, and the set that would take me through the middle part of the 2010's, the Nickent 6DX combo set. This set was Hybrids in 3-5, then 6-PW. Again, I enjoyed playing these clubs for what they were. There was a much up near the top of my bag because I was carrying a 5 wood at 19 and a 19 degree hybrid. The one problem with this set was that the hybrids had a bit of offset and turned them into hook machines if you weren't careful, plus the shafts were regular flex in the graphite, something that I knew wasn't an ideal fit.

Then, we got to my current set, the OG Cobra One Length's in the f7. I kinda self fit these knowing what I knew about shaft performance, my tendencies, and what I was looking for. The set ran 5-SW, but with some interesting modifications. The 5 iron was custom with a graphite Recoil Stiff shaft and I took a degree of loft off it, making it 22 degrees. The rest were stock loft, 1 degree up, with KBS Tour R+ shafts, which did a good job of hitting the windows. I'll be honest in my assessment of these, they did exactly what I wanted them to do as far as consistency, to a point. Yes, you know that some people have issues with long irons in these sets, and that's why I set my 5 iron the way I did, but it still was lacking. I got the flights I wanted out of the higher lofted irons, but on the lower lofts 5 and 6, I just never got the ball flight and launches I was looking for.

So now, the opportunity comes to try a new way. I cannot wait to go through a full iron fitting for the first time. I too, like @JonMUSC08 wonder how my hatred of long irons may exist when it comes to the potential of a 4 iron. I'm keeping a totally open mind as to shafts, both in material and flex. The one thing that does make me sad is that I will not be able to give you guys a full one to one as it relates to my old Cobra set. I have traded that set before I was selected for this testing opportunity for the new fairway woods that make up my bag. Now, I do have old measurements and notes from my practice logs as to distances for carry and total to help in the comparison, so I can give you that information as we ratchet this up. 

As @Golfspy_CG2 mentioned, we are all in a bit of a holding pattern due to what's happening, but you can all rest assured that we are just as willing and ready as you are to get through this. Hopefully this breaks in a safe way soon so that we can all move on safely and without threat. I'll leave you with this potential tease. I have a week vacation I need to take from work before April 30, and it's not like flights are that expensive, plus Phoenix is nice this time of year compared to the Syracuse area. 😉

SIK Golf Flo-C

Do all of the testers think they will use the Arccos grips to help with this review?  

Also, what's one thing that excites you most about these irons based on your readings?

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done