Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2020 Official Member Review: PING G710 Irons

6 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Update 

Due to some recent circumstances MCasey felt he would not be able to give 100% attention to this testing.  And being the 1st class guy and member that he is, he offered to step aside so someone who can give such a great test the full effort. 

As such I'd like to congratulate Lacassem who was our next man you on the list.  See alternates to get in from time to time. 

So Welcome to Lacassem, I know he's 💯 committed to this review.  

Thank you @Golfspy_CG2 and again @McaseyM sorry that this didn’t work out it is strange times that are putting strain on so many people.

as many of you have been doing I have been following this forum and anticipating the reviews. Cannot wait to get started as soon as it is safe to do so.

cannot wait to compare the players distance irons currently in my set vs the game improvement irons that are the G710s as well as what distances/forgiveness there is. 

As always stay safe out there everyone and hopefully the season can start soon!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Thank you [mention=65448]Golfspy_CG2[/mention] and again [mention=53756]McaseyM[/mention] sorry that this didn’t work out it is strange times that are putting strain on so many people.
as many of you have been doing I have been following this forum and anticipating the reviews. Cannot wait to get started as soon as it is safe to do so.
cannot wait to compare the players distance irons currently in my set vs the game improvement irons that are the G710s as well as what distances/forgiveness there is. 

As always stay safe out there everyone and hopefully the season can start soon!

Sounds good. I’m sure McaseyM will be taken care of in the future for his class move.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

10 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Update 

Due to some recent circumstances MCasey felt he would not be able to give 100% attention to this testing.  And being the 1st class guy and member that he is, he offered to step aside so someone who can give such a great test the full effort. 

As such I'd like to congratulate Lacassem who was our next man you on the list.  See alternates to get in from time to time. 

So Welcome to Lacassem, I know he's 💯 committed to this review.  

Good on you @McaseyM. Honestly don't know if I could've done the same thing if I were put into that situation!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Class act McaseyM! Always love hearing people doing the right thing

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

56 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

Congrats @Lacassem.  Will be interested to see what your opinion of the clubs is as well. Probably going to be quite the difference from your current TM irons

Yes I am interested to compare just based on the totally different styles. I was fitted for the project x Lz 6.5 shafts for the TMs I am interested to see how the fitting goes in that aspect as well! Will keep everyone updated as it happens when we are able! 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

@McaseyM you're a good man, Charlie Brown.  @Lacassem, congrats and no pressure. 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

On 4/9/2020 at 3:19 PM, Rickp said:

Sounds good. I’m sure McaseyM will be taken care of in the future for his class move.

+1 👍

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Ugh, just had a bad thought if/when this test gets going. If we get additional sensors from Arccos for stat tracking, I don't think it'll fit a Flat Cat grip since the grip hole is on the side of the grip.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

8 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Ugh, just had a bad thought if/when this test gets going. If we get additional sensors from Arccos for stat tracking, I don't think it'll fit a Flat Cat grip since the grip hole is on the side of the grip.

I had a SS 2.0 on my putter last year and I had to cut down the screw a bit on the putter sensor to get it to fit.  It didn't sit completely flush but close enough to get the job done. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

8 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I had a SS 2.0 on my putter last year and I had to cut down the screw a bit on the putter sensor to get it to fit.  It didn't sit completely flush but close enough to get the job done. 

Yeah but CG2, the hole is on the side of the cap, nowhere near the top. I could drill into the top of the grip and insert there I guess, but where it is now I couldn't grip the club without it interfering. It's holding me off from grip buying right now for putter. I could also get the Superstroke add-on as well. Oh well, the choices we have and make.

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

SIK Golf Flo-C

On 4/13/2020 at 2:42 PM, Berg Ryman said:

Yeah but CG2, the hole is on the side of the cap, nowhere near the top. I could drill into the top of the grip and insert there I guess, but where it is now I couldn't grip the club without it interfering. It's holding me off from grip buying right now for putter. I could also get the Superstroke add-on as well. Oh well, the choices we have and make.

I am really interested to jump on this Arccos wagon and see how they work out. Soon enough!

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

18 hours ago, Lacassem said:

I am really interested to jump on this Arccos wagon and see how they work out. Soon enough!

I've got a set of the stand alone sensors ready to go on my clubs once the season starts. I just wish there was a way to use the ping sensors with the old licensing system. The pre 2020 version gave your access for life and the new ones are a $100/yr subscription for the same features. 

According to the arccos documentation I found, the hardware is identical, but the firmware that is loaded is what determines if you're set for life or have to pay for a subscription.

8 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

I've got a set of the stand alone sensors ready to go on my clubs once the season starts. I just wish there was a way to use the ping sensors with the old licensing system. The pre 2020 version gave your access for life and the new ones are a $100/yr subscription for the same features. 

According to the arccos documentation I found, the hardware is identical, but the firmware that is loaded is what determines if you're set for life or have to pay for a subscription.

@B.Boston I am new to this whole thing with arccos i used 18 birdies prior for tracking purposes. I know I have been talking with B back and forth on this and he could probably shed some light?

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

[mention=85402]B.Boston[/mention] I am new to this whole thing with arccos i used 18 birdies prior for tracking purposes. I know I have been talking with B back and forth on this and he could probably shed some light?

Would make sense that they did it based on firmware. Unless you find someone selling the previous standalone unit you’ll be locked into the subscription pricing.

I know when I set mine up the app had you select if you had retail, grips, Ping, or cobra connect sensors. But that was when then$250 retail - no subscription sensors were available and may have been prior to a firmware update.

The world is moving to a subscription model, so it’s no surprise that Arccos would do that. I’m perfectly fine with it as long as they keep providing updates to the software, which they seem to be doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

i have pre-2020 sensors that screw into my grips. I was always wondering how my "subscription" was continuing unlike everyone else. Love the sensors though. There are some hiccups that need correcting during the round but just keeping an eye on it and its all good.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

7 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

I just saw on Twitter that Ping is introducing an online fitting option via Zoom. Do any of you think you'll go this route when things open up enough for you guys to get fitted?

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I am curious how they would do this? I know for the most part I am all standard lengths etc and know what shaft. Would prefer to go in though lol I would probably not do this virtually no would rather just order what I am pretty confident saying is what would fit me

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

I’d wager those fitters have worked with enough people to get some good information through the initial interview process and talking about your current set of clubs. But yeah you would ideally want to be hitting balls with them. Hopefully things start to open up soon and you guys will have a chance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Hope things open up for this testing. Currently gaming the I500s and would love to see how these stack up and perform. Good luck everyone.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Lucky guys testing great irons. Have fun. Any of you a real average golfer with 78-85 mph swing, shoot around 95?

Jazz woods (Driver & Hybrids), TNT Silver Eagle Irons, PW & SW, Slotline Inertia putter. TopFlite Gammer.

5 hours ago, viking said:

Lucky guys testing great irons. Have fun. Any of you a real average golfer with 78-85 mph swing, shoot around 95?

Most of us have the handicap in our profile. My 6 iron I swing @ 100 MPH and am typically low 80s  occasionally breaking 80. Hopefully more consistently this year

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

5 hours ago, viking said:

Yea sorry, im 95-105 with the driver but i shoot 88-92. Iron accuracy/dispersion are my biggest pitfalls. That will be my focus which should benefit us all.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

9 minutes ago, JonMUSC08 said:

Iron accuracy/dispersion are my biggest pitfalls. That will be my focus which should benefit us all.

That's the key that's missed a lot. When you see tv or print ads all they talk about is the extra distance. I'll take narrow dispersion over distance all day long since it's easier to build up swing speed.  

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

53 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

That's the key that's missed a lot. When you see tv or print ads all they talk about is the extra distance. I'll take narrow dispersion over distance all day long since it's easier to build up swing speed.  

Great point.  This was one of my "must haves" when I embarked on my PE2 replacement quest.  For the most part, the added distance of new irons does yield lower dispersion - for sure when making a BIG change in technology where the added distance allows you to play a club+ up then before.  This was one of the key comments my fitter made that got me over the hump. For those thinking about changing irons of near same circa technology, paying close attention to dispersion is good advice. 

(+5 yards distance) - (2 yards dispersion) = maybe not so good  🙂.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Great point.  This was one of my "must haves" when I embarked on my PE2 replacement quest.  For the most part, the added distance of new irons does yield lower dispersion - for sure when making a BIG change in technology where the added distance allows you to play a club+ up then before.  This was one of the key comments my fitter made that got me over the hump. For those thinking about changing irons of near same circa technology, paying close attention to dispersion is good advice. 

(+5 yards distance) - (2 yards dispersion) = maybe not so good  🙂.

That is my point as well.

1. clubs must be more accurate and consistent i.e. less dispersion

2. Clubs must be 10 yards apart from each other just like all old clubs were

3. Then get more distance but really matters much more for Driver, woods and hybrids than irons

IMO.

Jazz woods (Driver & Hybrids), TNT Silver Eagle Irons, PW & SW, Slotline Inertia putter. TopFlite Gammer.

On 4/5/2020 at 6:42 AM, JonMUSC08 said:

Ha i hear ya, irons are getting very expensive these days.

It will definitely take some time to figure out my new distances. My 7-iron is typically 150 and i expect these to be like 165-170. Hopefully i can do a gapping session too!

Coming from those Eye2's, the Sim Max had to be WAY different. But in a good way too! The Eye2's are classic and great but those lofts are tough to play these days.

Fortunately my golf course is still open so i'll be able to get out as soon as we get fitted and get the clubs in hand.

My Eye-2 7 iron (36 degrees of loft) was almost exactly 150, day-in, day-out.  These new Sim Max 7s are (lol) 28.5 degrees - so my hitting it (easy) 175 is not a huge surprise - it's effectively my old 5-iron. 

I'd be surprised if your experience wasn't the same.  My biggest issue is that I went (to save some money) 4-PW instead of going to UW - now I think going 5-UW would have been a MUCH better set for me, considering that I can hit the 5 well, and up over 200 yards, which means I really need a hybrid and then I'm into my 5-wood - so the 4-iron is effectively redundant (and a little harder to hit than the hybrid). 

A gapping session has become very high on my list - but I'm actually next looking at a whole-bag fitting (hoping to work out a gapping session in lieu of getting fit for irons, since I just got fit into these) so that I can get a clear sense on driver/wood shafts and settings, and then also a putter fitting. 

Sigh. SO much to spend money on, and so little real extra money to go around 🙂 Good thing no one can go anywhere here (said sarcastically).

-Swanson

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

7 hours ago, Jondough said:

My Eye-2 7 iron (36 degrees of loft) was almost exactly 150, day-in, day-out.  These new Sim Max 7s are (lol) 28.5 degrees - so my hitting it (easy) 175 is not a huge surprise - it's effectively my old 5-iron. 

I'd be surprised if your experience wasn't the same.  My biggest issue is that I went (to save some money) 4-PW instead of going to UW - now I think going 5-UW would have been a MUCH better set for me, considering that I can hit the 5 well, and up over 200 yards, which means I really need a hybrid and then I'm into my 5-wood - so the 4-iron is effectively redundant (and a little harder to hit than the hybrid). 

A gapping session has become very high on my list - but I'm actually next looking at a whole-bag fitting (hoping to work out a gapping session in lieu of getting fit for irons, since I just got fit into these) so that I can get a clear sense on driver/wood shafts and settings, and then also a putter fitting. 

Sigh. SO much to spend money on, and so little real extra money to go around 🙂 Good thing no one can go anywhere here (said sarcastically).

-Swanson

That’s my problem rifgt now I’m spending more than I normally would! Granted I was going to revamp my bag completely anyway but I am blaming being home more for it!

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

So, another question. Is anyone going to change their time to go play or the conditions you play in because of these irons? The reason I ask is because of Hydropearl Stealth to see if it does work. I'm very intrigued by this based on the wedge test on how those with some features to filter water away

SIK Golf Flo-C