TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Official Member Review: PING G710 Irons

9 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Great and thorough review Mark! Excellent writeup, along with the pics and videos. Well done all around.

5 minutes ago, Apolloshowl said:

Great review and write up! I enjoyed reading it. Glad you had a good chance to put them through their paces and to sort out whether they are right for you and I know the review will be helpful to see whether they want to buy them or not!

Thank you glad you both enjoyed it!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

PING G710 Irons – Official MGS Forum Review by Mark Lacasse

IMG_4582.jpg.034c8061f9a52faa7fe0925fcea58da6.jpg 350828329_Final3.jpg.7712b9e5eb062116e93ca37c0e0d7cde.jpg 46392574_final2.jpg.fbf1471fffd531d8823575f6d404e41c.jpg

Me, Myself and I:
Hey everyone! First off thank you to MGS for this great opportunity to review these Irons! I enjoyed my 1st review!
For all of those interested my name is Mark Lacasse and I had the good fortune of being able to test these PING G710’s! I play in the North East where the golf season is beautiful…but short…I have been playing since I was very young but since 2014 after I got out of the military have been playing avidly (and in every sense of the word AVIDLY). Proud husband and father of 2 children (boy and girl) and at this time my son LOVES golf and hopefully my daughter will as well!
(The wife and I)
IMG_4610.JPG.80595d5ddbbad977f7b21234ce7392ab.JPG
I am a decent golfer (at least in my own mind) and have been able to tailor my game and use my competitive nature to drop my scoring over the past two years. I have gone from a 20 handicap to as of 2020 a 7.8 and really hope to drop below 6 this year as one of my short-term goals.
I have a high swing speed and am typically consistent with good contact on the face. My swing is a medium tempo as well as out to in which causes a slight fade, which I have learned to play with. With this my misses are typically BIG fades especially when I get “lazy”.
I would have to say my strength is my short game. I am comfortable with any iron in my hand and enjoy pin seeking. I do not roll much so am able to really target and go at the flag. On the other end my weakness is off the tee.
But enough about me let’s get into the nitty gritty of why you’re reading my essay, the PING black beauty’s.
Package Received:
Just for some background this review was done during the COVID-19 Pandemic (if you must google that you are not old enough to be playing golf). With those hurdles PING & MGS did a fantastic job at being flexible with these clubs. Normally would not have this in here as I went over it previously, but PING strictly based on how they handled everything was leaps and bounds ahead of any other OEM I have dealt with over the pandemic and for that down the road I will probably buy from PING over others if given a choice in equipment.

Grading

Don’t judge a book by its cover (8/10)
These clubs are BIG. The black finish minimizes that the best it can but there is no hiding how large and in charge they are. Overall it does not take away from the club or make you feel like you are swinging a paddle. I personally do not like black finish clubs, these though are a little different. The finish has a smoother look to me than all the other black finishes I have seen. The black paired with the slate grey face complement each other.
IMG_4475.jpg.ec32814691211d12ed48844c11cbe228.jpg Final.jpg.77b27c8eeb9137d3a093bc14d94d9081.jpg
The club numbers are little big for my liking, but I do like the engraved edge around the numbers but with that there is a downside (more on this in miscellaneous section). The back of the club is also well done and the placement of the G710 emblem is appeasing to the eye. At address the longer irons you can see a little bit of the sole on the back side but is not distracting.
1429853354_4ironcleanupafterround.jpg.8dd7b4aba0145b42bb93193d99af3562.jpg
Sound/Feel (10/10)
These clubs are probably the best sounding clubs I have ever hit. As soon as I hit them, I compared it to the “crack” of a well struck wooden bat and I am sticking to that thought. Every time I hit these the sound makes me smile still. I was weary at first just because of other PING clubs I have heard in the past but was beyond surprised with these and wish I could have this sound in all my clubs. PING used an epoxy behind the face on these and it worked.
The feel is also one of the best feeling clubs I have swung. The compression is second to none. When you pure a ball with these you know instantly. On the opposite end mishits do not hurt your hands but you still know when you hit a bad one. The face also provides great feedback on where you made contact without needing to use foot spray and other visual aids.
[/url] The selling points (16/20)
These clubs have a few nice characteristics to them that the OEM uses as big selling point’s, those being:
  • Hydro pearl finish
  • Maraging steel face
  • Higher MOI (layman’s term forgiveness)
The hydro pearl finish is everything it is hyped up to be. Was great with moisture control in the grooves and wicked away/beaded up like wax on the club itself. I had at least one round a week during the review and the finish held up ok. The finish broke down with debris hitting especially range mats, backyard swings and sand traps. It made scrapes on the finish which it would normally do on other clubs anyway but with the black shows the club itself on the sole, the rest of the club held up extremely well. The 8-iron was my test dummy and go to club on the course, so this easily had over 300 swings on it compared to the 6 iron which maybe was 30-40 swings. The face held up really well. Next to the 6 iron (top) the 8 iron shows more wear on the face but is not too noticeable overall.
8357928_8Ironwear.jpg.2313359ca0d144a40907deb0b8c3b35f.jpg 932280274_8ironwear2.jpg.c4984afd413e9095ef22c3c3ecb0b677.jpg
The steel face claims to launch the ball higher and longer. I think the length came more from the lower lofts on the club than the actual face but the ball for sure launched higher with impressive ball flight. Downside I found on this face was that it was getting a lot of black marks on all the clubs. Not sure if it was the steel face or the black finish but all the clubs had the same thing happen (does wipe off with a wash/wet towel).
Lastly on this the forgiveness. These clubs gave me a lot of 2nd chances and are the most forgiving clubs I have ever hit. Did not keep the ball perfectly straight on a toe, BUT I was not offline by as much as I would expect on that same strike with another club.
Good shot of the ball flight here. Little windy so both did not travel normal distance, G710 was a little longer (Loft comparison is G710 1 Degree stronger)
(PING G710 1st, Taylormade P790 2nd)
980465622_8IronVS2.jpg.429c7867fb072f6de75eae52c0a1fd2d.jpg
Only thing that matters…On course performance (28/30)
These clubs PERFORM! I am an iron enthusiast and could play rounds with a few irons and a putter. Every aspect of these 4-UW played. I especially enjoyed the wedges and found myself utilizing them as much as my current Cleveland CBX2’s because the distance control is one of the best for a set wedge I have ever played. My scores were roughly the same round to round, but I was able to prevent myself from getting in bad situations and having to make miracles happen.
The clubs for a larger size also cut through the rough, not as well of a smaller club but just for their size I was impressed.
I can stop the ball well on greens with any iron, but the higher flight controlled the ball on the green as well as any other club for me. My average roll out with the 4 iron was 4-5’, all the way down to the wedges that typically stopped (Gap Wedge Divot spin back)
627348690_GWcapture.PNG.fd2a254d292cf844b5750e3896dc224a.PNG
The little things…(miscellaneous) (7/10)
I am one for a clean club. I wipe down after each shot, usually do a wet towel at the end of a round with a few baths throughout the year. I had a little bit of an OCD issue with the large sole numbers collecting dirt around the edging. That dirt does not come out with a cloth or club brush well. I needed to use a toothpick (I am sure there are other tools) to really clean it to my liking. It also came out with a good wash and my handy dandy toothbrush, but I am not washing these clubs down after every round. Minor issue so if you have a little OCD like me…it will bother you.
Play it or trade it (17/20)
This was a tough one for me. I am currently in a good place playing and like I said am a good ball striker. The forgiveness of these clubs and the added distance I do not need. The gapping messed with my bag a little and made both my hybrids obsolete. If I was a little older and needed the forgiveness and distance, I would keep them in the bag, but I think a player’s iron like my current gamers for me at this time is a better fit. Other than this, these clubs WOULD FOR SURE have a spot in my bag.
Wrap it up already!
If you jumped to the end…tisk tisk...but I will let it slide. Let’s put this review into a few simple paragraphs:
These clubs check all the boxes as to what they say they do, no gimmicks:
The club profile is very big, by itself the black finish does a good job concealing but no hiding it next to a smaller profile club.
No club will keep you out of the hazards if you’re aiming that way. It also will not keep you on the green if you skull the ball or make it go farther when you dig to China, but these clubs are AS forgiving as you can get, mishits did not put me in awful positions and allowed me to scramble back.
The finish lasts better than expected and from what I have read leaps and bounds ahead of the predecessor G700’s. Any club will wear down over time and this black will show especially on the sole, but PING is on the right track with this finish, on top of that it’s SLEEK as hell.
Distance? I attribute it more to the lofts, but the club face helps and with the added height I was surprised that they flew as long as they did. If you are looking for those attributes, I highly recommend these clubs (also make sure you’re good with standout wear marks).

Total Score (86/100)
image.jpeg.5c73c8039cfcee1d91a41eedd73c18f4.jpeg

Nice job
Happy the finish performed better than the early Pings.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Alright, second iron only round has been played at Hickory Hill Golf Club. I'll cut to the chase, it wasn't as good as Iron only round #1. However, if you didn't know from the Titleist thread, I have defeated @blackngold_blood with round 1, a net 74 to his best, a net 75.

The problem with attempting to play Hickory Hill wasn't in the putting, it was in the scrambling again. It's primarily a par 3 course, we're talking 4115 from the blues, par 62 but I figured since I had already won I was going to try to really stake a number that was going to be super low if I got it going, and I almost did. I shot a pretty meh disinterested  71 with 2 birdies, one on each side. Normalizing my 10.1 to this course gave me a course handicap of 3 due it's 57 rating and 86 slope. Then net score was +6, which normalized over a standard par 72 would have been a 78.

What went wrong? Well, strategy went wrong if I'm honest. I shouldn't have played a near par 3 course to try and go lower than I had before. While the course did have short par 4's, the issue was in the pay I attempted to play them. If you recall from my first iron only round I had an issue scrambling without more lofted wedges so what do I do? Go to a course that is going to make me have to scramble with those lower lofted wedges and I worked on that skill at the range, hitting little 40-60 yard pitches in prep of this round. Well, sometime you can't take from the range what you want. The scrambling was awful all round, I couldn't get shots to stop with any regularity, partially due to the greens and fairways being cooked a bit due to lack of rain in this area. Ironically, the only birdies I made were on what you would call regular length holes at 320 and 300 yards where I had close to full swing wedge distance in and was able to hit it close. Admittedly I did try to lay it back a bit with hitting short irons of tees to get fuller yardages, but that wasn't working from a strokes gained perspective.

The other thing about this is that I shouldn't have picked a course with so many par 3's. But Berg, I hear you say, it's iron only surely that's not bad. Well, when you're not having the best day accuracy wise and you don't have a specialty wedge to assist you're typical strategy of around the green play, it can be rough. Also, maybe pick a par 3 course where the majority aren't long iron par 3's (3x at 185, 190, and 200) so that way you get a better shot with stopping power. Sure, pars were made when I hit the greens, but some of that was due to good lag putting and not the performance of the iron, and definitely not the performance of the player. 

So, with roughly 10 days left until this review is due I think I'm hoping to get at least one more round, hopefully two including one at my home course if people ever let me know about the times for Skins games on Saturday morning. I have a bar to clear and really have my work cut out for me without my usual photographer in tow due to Covid-19, but we'll soldier on for you, the reader.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

FINAL REVIEW POSTED!!

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

I'm going to the Dark side as I just ordered a set of PING G710's 4 thru PW red dot  with SteelFiber Aerotech shafts which is due to be here the 1st week of August. When I 1st started out golfing it was PING's that got me interested in the game as this is about my 10 set of PING's I've owned in over 30 years. I'm so excited as this is my retirement set as I could have went with any other brand but I just couldn't resist the new G710's as they seem to have everything I'm looking for when it comes to Forgiveness, distance, looks. So happy to be back in the family again as I've also tried so many other brands. I'm leaving :taylormade-small:P790's which were extremely nice but my heart has always been with :ping-small:  as I sorta feel like the prodigal son, 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym Ai Smoke Max D w/:Fuji: Speeder NX Blue 50

3W: :callaway-small:  Paradym Ai Smoke Max D w/GD AD CQ5

5/7 W: :callaway-small:  Paradym w/ :projectx:HZRDS 60

all woods have CPX grips

5 thru PW : 😍 :ping-small: BP S w/ i70 SteelFiber black Label PR shafts

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  RTX 6 Full face 48*, 54* w/ i95 SteelFiber shafts

All irons have WINN DRI-TAC LT grips

Puter: :L.A.B.: GREEN DF3 w/Black 34" w/ BGT Stability ONE w/Press II 3 grip

(Back-up):EVNROLL:  E2 34" w/ BGT Stability Fire shaft midsize Black Pure Grip

I'm going to the Dark side as I just ordered a set of PING G710's 4 thru PW red dot  with SteelFiber Aerotech shafts which is due to be here the 1st week of August. When I 1st started out golfing it was PING's that got me interested in the game as this is about my 10 set of PING's I've owned in over 30 years. I'm so excited as this is my retirement set as I could have went with any other brand but I just couldn't resist the new G710's as they seem to have everything I'm looking for when it comes to Forgiveness, distance, looks. So happy to be back in the family again as I've also tried so many other brands. I'm leaving :taylormade-small:P790's which were extremely nice but my heart has always been with :ping-small:  as I sorta feel like the prodigal son, 

Well done. Looking forward to your take on them.

Rick

Left Hand, 

23 hours ago, PingDaddy said:

It is all there. Very forgiving and the feel is top notch. If you're game is a little shorter than it used to be these should really boost you back up a little. Good luck!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

23 hours ago, PingDaddy said:

did this thread have influence on your decision?  Welcome to the forums! 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

On 7/12/2020 at 10:27 AM, JonMUSC08 said:

FINAL REVIEW POSTED!!

Great review ( as all have been that I've seen here so far) - could you expand on what you think about the wear factor on these irons that you experienced? I'm curious as to each of the reviewer's observations on this and I couldn't tell exactly how big of an issue you thought that was. (I see where Lacassem's picture of 8 iron looked pretty rough compared to the 6 iron but it seems like he really specifically tried to put it thru some hard "test miles") I've think I've narrowed it down to the G410 vs G710 as my first new set of irons (been using a buddies old set of Titliest DCI Oversize irons as starters when I started learning to play this past year) and that may be the deciding factor. Thanks again for your review as well as all the other thorough reviews on both the G410 and G710's on this site as they are definitely giving me good insight and direction.

Driver - Callaway Speed XR 10.5

Fairway - 3 Wood - Callaway Speed XR

Hybrids - 3H/5H - Callaway Steelhead

Irons - 4-PW - Titliest DCI Oversize (loaners)

Sand Wedge - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth - 54'

Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab

17 hours ago, BryanK said:

Great review ( as all have been that I've seen here so far) - could you expand on what you think about the wear factor on these irons that you experienced? I'm curious as to each of the reviewer's observations on this and I couldn't tell exactly how big of an issue you thought that was. (I see where Lacassem's picture of 8 iron looked pretty rough compared to the 6 iron but it seems like he really specifically tried to put it thru some hard "test miles") I've think I've narrowed it down to the G410 vs G710 as my first new set of irons (been using a buddies old set of Titliest DCI Oversize irons as starters when I started learning to play this past year) and that may be the deciding factor. Thanks again for your review as well as all the other thorough reviews on both the G410 and G710's on this site as they are definitely giving me good insight and direction.

Appreciate it

@Lacassem did a great job trying to wear down an 8-iron. I played as I normally do to see what 'normal wear and tear' would look like.

So my opinion on G410 & G710 are that the G410 are Game Improvement irons (10-15 hdcp) as the G710s are more Super Game Improvement (15-20+ hdcp). If you struggle to get the ball airborne more times than not then the G710s will definitely help. The G410's will all you to work the ball (shape shots) easier. G710's more foregiving.

Here are pics of all my irons after 4 rounds and a few times on the range. The SW was used more than any other clubs; 41 shots in rounds and then 50+ balls on the range. I think the light in my garage is accentuating the wear; i honestly am very impressed how little wear there is. Scratches will be on any club regardless of finish. In person, the scratches are not nearly as noticeable than in the pics.

IMG_6218.jpg.01f7e646bef636a6a44f3c9b5c4012a4.jpgIMG_6219.jpg.29722cb10e23c66766f11cd437185b91.jpg

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

18 hours ago, BryanK said:

42 minutes ago, JonMUSC08 said:

Appreciate it

@Lacassem did a great job trying to wear down an 8-iron. I played as I normally do to see what 'normal wear and tear' would look like.

So my opinion on G410 & G710 are that the G410 are Game Improvement irons (10-15 hdcp) as the G710s are more Super Game Improvement (15-20+ hdcp). If you struggle to get the ball airborne more times than not then the G710s will definitely help. The G410's will all you to work the ball (shape shots) easier. G710's more foregiving.

Here are pics of all my irons after 4 rounds and a few times on the range. The SW was used more than any other clubs; 41 shots in rounds and then 50+ balls on the range. I think the light in my garage is accentuating the wear; i honestly am very impressed how little wear there is. Scratches will be on any club regardless of finish. In person, the scratches are not nearly as noticeable than in the pics.

IMG_6218.jpg.01f7e646bef636a6a44f3c9b5c4012a4.jpgIMG_6219.jpg.29722cb10e23c66766f11cd437185b91.jpg

Yes so one of my main focuses was to put atleast 1 of the irons through a vigorous test to really see how these things held up. Like i said in my review I had atleast 300 swings between just my normal practice swings day to day  to actual round swings on the 8 iron. It help up better than I was expecting and as long as you are ok with clear wearing than it will not bother you.

As to the club themselves to piggy back off @JonMUSC08 if you struggle to get the ball launched in the air these are for you. I had towering shots with these and if I had any roll out I don't remember it. Also if you are looking for some extra distance these will definitely assist in that department, on average I was 10 yards longer per club than my current gamers (granted the lofts are stronger but either way the distance is there).

My father is actually using them at this current time, My thought was that he is about a 20 handicap and these clubs are really designed for him. If you are looking for anything specific I can review with him. My intention is to have him get some rounds in (he is retired this year and is getting the most golf he has ever played in a summer before in) and pick his brain on how he felt hitting and he is tracking with 18 birdies his rounds to see if there is big improvements and post another smaller review on this thread with his thoughts as well.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

Thanks for that clarification. I really do like the look of those irons new and hoped they would hold up well. Currently I am in that higher hdcp group(20+) as a beginner but expect that will be something I can bring down with work in other areas beside iron play that I am working on as well (3 and 4 putts or more are not helping!). I seem to be getting much better at getting the ball up more regularly and targeting is improving with irons. I really liked the G710 at a demo day before the shut down in the spring(was prior to recent gains I've made at the driving range) Went to fitter last week to try both heads but they only had the G410 available (the other out on loaner), and I seemed to hit that one well too, so I guess I need to make an appt to hit both on the same day. Not sure how much I should expect to be a "shot shaper" starting at this age (55y) - I feel like straight and fairly accurate is more reasonable (hopefully)! Thanks again for the help

Edited by BryanK

Thanks to both of y'all for the feed back. I'm starting to feel better about the G710.

18 minutes ago, BryanK said:

Thanks for that clarification. I really do like the look of those irons new and hoped they would hold up well. Currently I am in that higher hdcp group(20+) as a beginner but expect that will be something I can bring down with work in other areas beside iron play that I am working on as well (3 and 4 putts or more are not helping!). I seem to be getting much better at getting the ball up more regularly and targeting is improving with irons. I really liked the G710 at a demo day before the shut down in the spring(was prior to recent gains I've made at the driving range) Went to fitter last week to try both heads but they only had the G410 available (the other out on loaner), and I seemed to hit that one well too, so I guess I need to make an appt to hit both on the same day. Not sure how much I should expect to be a "shot shaper" starting at this age (55y) - I feel like straight and fairly accurate is more reasonable (hopefully)! Thanks again for the help

If you dont mind me asking what shaft did they put you in at the fitting? Seems like the G710 may be right up your alley.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

Thanks to both of y'all for the feed back. I'm starting to feel better about the G710.

In my opinion there’s no bad choice between G410 or G710.
The black heads sure are nice looking.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I have to say I expected more from the fitting, I'm not even sure what shaft they used, I know it was a graphite and regular flex. Seemed like he just grabbed what ever was available to put on the head. Grabbed a senior flex when I asked about whether that would be something I should consider. Showed I hit it a little farther but I really didn't like the "whippy" feel of it and he said he thought my swing would continue to improve and would probably be regular flex when I did get new clubs. He was nice enough but basically said my current clubs "weren't holding me back" and I should keep playing with what I have since it seemed like " I had a lot of good things going on with my swing" and give it 3-6 more months! I appreciate not being hard sold new clubs but I went in being open to getting new clubs that day and left feeling underwhelmed. Seems like its been hard to get any serious help since I let them know that I am new to the game when I go in. My local club is nice but feels like they have to blow the dust off the fitting kits when I've gone there and they don't really take me seriously, then winds up being more of a lesson than a fitting when it is all said and done (but I'm always open to being taught), and my local Dick's has a fitter only once a week from 11-330p which is an issue for me to take time off on that day he is available. The above fitter was an hour drive, so I guess my next step is go further but certainly not as easy to schedule and hate to do all that and get the same  meh experience. I agree I probably won't go wrong with either but would just like a true head to head evaluation to feel more confident about it. Oh well, I've still got plenty to work on until then and I guess it'll finally happen when it's supposed to. 

I have to say I expected more from the fitting, I'm not even sure what shaft they used, I know it was a graphite and regular flex. Seemed like he just grabbed what ever was available to put on the head. Grabbed a senior flex when I asked about whether that would be something I should consider. Showed I hit it a little farther but I really didn't like the "whippy" feel of it and he said he thought my swing would continue to improve and would probably be regular flex when I did get new clubs. He was nice enough but basically said my current clubs "weren't holding me back" and I should keep playing with what I have since it seemed like " I had a lot of good things going on with my swing" and give it 3-6 more months! I appreciate not being hard sold new clubs but I went in being open to getting new clubs that day and left feeling underwhelmed. Seems like its been hard to get any serious help since I let them know that I am new to the game when I go in. My local club is nice but feels like they have to blow the dust off the fitting kits when I've gone there and they don't really take me seriously, then winds up being more of a lesson than a fitting when it is all said and done (but I'm always open to being taught), and my local Dick's has a fitter only once a week from 11-330p which is an issue for me to take time off on that day he is available. The above fitter was an hour drive, so I guess my next step is go further but certainly not as easy to schedule and hate to do all that and get the same  meh experience. I agree I probably won't go wrong with either but would just like a true head to head evaluation to feel more confident about it. Oh well, I've still got plenty to work on until then and I guess it'll finally happen when it's supposed to. 

I do understand what you’re describing in the fitting. Every time I try clubs it’s a struggle choosing the correct shaft.

Rick

Left Hand, 

On 7/14/2020 at 11:25 AM, B.Boston said:

did this thread have influence on your decision?  Welcome to the forums! 

I have had my eye on these when they 1st came out as it wasn't easy to give up on my P790's. I started golfing with PING's and I just want to end with PING's as they have always been pretty good to me. Of course I do get fitted for every set I've own but my last set of PING's were the s55's, regretted selling them

Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym Ai Smoke Max D w/:Fuji: Speeder NX Blue 50

3W: :callaway-small:  Paradym Ai Smoke Max D w/GD AD CQ5

5/7 W: :callaway-small:  Paradym w/ :projectx:HZRDS 60

all woods have CPX grips

5 thru PW : 😍 :ping-small: BP S w/ i70 SteelFiber black Label PR shafts

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  RTX 6 Full face 48*, 54* w/ i95 SteelFiber shafts

All irons have WINN DRI-TAC LT grips

Puter: :L.A.B.: GREEN DF3 w/Black 34" w/ BGT Stability ONE w/Press II 3 grip

(Back-up):EVNROLL:  E2 34" w/ BGT Stability Fire shaft midsize Black Pure Grip

Ok, it looks like I'm going to be playing a round on Saturday and maybe taking time for pictures and media on Sunday, so I'm hopeful that the final review is gonna meet deadline writing the review after Satruday and attached photos and such on Sunday for the final post. I think you'll be surprised at the final results for me.

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

SIK Golf Flo-C

Well, after a lost review this afternoon, my review is live, and I'll be bumping the thread again in the morning. Check it here!

SIK Golf Flo-C

On 3/20/2020 at 5:27 PM, Berg Ryman said:

G710 Review: Berg Ryman Edition

LADIES AND GENTS...THIS IS THE MOMENT YOU'VE WAITED FOR

giphy.gif

That's right everyone, it's your guy Berg Ryman back with his final review of the Ping G710 iron set. Before we begin I'd like to take this time in the intro to that the MGS Staff, my fellow testers @perseveringgolfer, @Lacassem, @JonMUSC08, and let's not forget the man who gave up this opportunity due to COVID concerns @McaseyM, for their help in this tread and this summer in putting these proper irons through the paces. GIve reads to the other reviews as they have alot of exciting video and opinions that may or may not match my own and may better inform you and hopefully give you a round about idea of how these irons may perform for you. Lastly, a huge shout out to my girlfriend Monica. We able to get out yesterday after my morning 18 for another 9 for some photos to pepper the review with. She is the best. 

6CZ7Uwom.jpg

THIS IS ME...

CJDi5zEm.jpg

As always, my girlfriend catches my best side

I'm currently playing of a 10.1, but have been as low as a 3 in high school and as high as a 18 when I was working my way back. Based in Central New York, my golf season isn't the longest in the world due to harsh winters, but I try to optimize my time by playing my game into shape, although I have gotten in range sessions when needed or just to beat some frustration in life out. The last set of irons before this test I had was the Cobra F7 One Length. I did a self fit for them, having worked in the golf section at Dick's for nearly 3 years. I average around 78 MPH for 7 iron, hitting it on average carry of 155-ish. If I step on it I can carry it to 165. Iron play is a strength of my game, but I've always had issues with ball flight. I'm a low ball hitter. I've been complemented of my stinger like ball flights with 9 iron and Pitching Wedge in the past. I'm hoping this is an iron that helps me launch the ball higher for my irons.

DREAMING WITH OUR EYES WIDE OPEN

q9M9GwZm.jpg

Dreams don’t die… until you’re off the first tee.

Before we begin here, a quick aside. I hate the current way golf clubs are labelled. I understand it’s easy to group similar clubs together based on perceived characteristics, it’s easy jargon to strat the non-informed golfer on the way toward finding a iron that may work for them, but I hate it. So let’s just agree to call these a Super Game Improvement Iron and move past it.

So, let’s talk about what PING is claiming with the G710. Layman terms, you’re looking at irons that fly higher and farther, partially because of lofts, partially because of tech. They should be more forgiving on off-center strikes due to that perimeter weighting improvement and should play better in wet conditions.

The real question, is it all advertising speak? Honestly, it’s tough to say. It’s pretty easy to become disillusioned to these things when you hear it every year, but I see PING as a different case. They always test well in Most Wanted, they don’t rush their product cycles, and they always find their way into the bags of many amateurs. This is my first experience with PING in my bag, so I’m coming into this with the most open of eyes.

WE’RE FREE TO FLY (GRADING)

Km8aqOjm.jpg

Sometimes, you fly and look like a Flamingo

Looks (10 out of 10)

I’m not going to pull any punches here. The black color is sexy. It sits well on the shelf for proper shelf appeal and it just looks cool. The badging is minimal which is really nice and while some may consider these irons large, the black does slim. After all, why do you think my chubby self wore black on a 90+ degree day to take some pictures?

bHUgtQEm.jpg

A craftsman always looks at his tools, and then blames them sometime

Now, I know you’ve seen @Lacassem post on wear. That’s a really extreme example. I’ve seen minor scratching on the sole of the club, like from tees and range areas that aren’t the best grass.  It’s nothing past what I would consider normal wear and tear. Plus, you’re not looking at the sole of the club at address.

Also, I’d give it an 11 if I could because of that line-up line. So simple, so easy.

0PEKZy4m.jpg

Plus, they look sexy in the bag

Sound and Feel (8 out of 10)

Ok, total honesty from me here, I never feel how to rate this category correctly. With certain clubs it’s easier, like my Stroke Lab review from last year, because feel is so important to a putter, but in an iron… I don’t really ever feel a difference if I’m honest among clubs in similar styles. Therefore, it feels like a PING iron. You already probably know how you feel about that. The different thing is the sound. I recommend you check out the video by @JonMUSC08 as I feel like it captures what the sound is. It might not be everyone’s taste, but I personally don’t mind it. The crack gives me the feel of power and is different than a thud. So an 8 seems, right.. i guess?

Also for feel, the Modus shaft is legit. Very happy with it and would recommend it to anyone looking for an easier stable shaft to swing.

ata2fBnm.jpg

Sometimes I feel like this on the course, sometimes in when I'm writing the review

Playing Characteristics (17 out of 20)

Let’s get it out of the way upfront. The lofts on these are not traditional, but they aren’t extreme in my opinion. PING finds a way to strike that balance in a world where people are seemingly going mad. Admittedly, the lofts on these clubs weren’t all that difference than my old Cobra’s maybe only differing my around half a degree. As such, I was slightly longer from 7 iron on down, but it wasn’t by much. We’re talking carrying 7 iron 157 instead of 155. The real difference was from 6 iron on up.

pWW1Qcdm.jpg

Sending the 4 iron of destiny

The 4 iron is now my favorite club in the bag

You read that bold sentence correct. Me, the hybrid guy, the near 7 wood guy, is now a 4 iron guy. That thing was a weapon for me off the tee against @Blackngold_Blood. I can punch shots out under trees and keep it low, I can hit it high if necessary to uphill greens. I love the G710 4 iron, it is my personal swiss army knife. 200 yards and easy money. I’m around 10 yards longer with 4 and 5 iron, and roughly 6-8 yards longer with 6. Part of it is the shaft length coming from One Length, but part of it is forgiveness.

The other thing that is a big plus for these irons is the launch. I wanted to increase the height of my iron shots and it’s happened. Whether it’s the sole or the weighting I don’t know exactly, but these things launch and I love it. Plus, although the soles are wide, they are easy to flight where I need to. The accuracy on these things is near point and shoot. If you’re aimed in the right spot, it’s easy.

Why the knocks? Well, they aren’t workable when I need to, which is not that often, but it’s hard to move them in a meaningful way, but straight works. The other knock, although I’m longer in the long irons, I was hoping for a bit more distance in the short irons.

5rIBAfPm.jpg

Sometimes you need to ask your ball to move, even with easy to hit irons

On Course Performance (25 out of 30)

2 iron only rounds, 6 other rounds, including a tournament qualifier, but no career best from these irons. I wish I had a success story like @JonMUSC08from this season, but I have to be honest, I haven’t. My game has been a bit up and down this summer. A 91 in the my tournament qualifier, and a lot of rounds in the low to mid 80’s. In a perfect season I’d be in the high 70’s, But I have to admit, the issue right now is not my irons. It’s the driver and my fairway woods. I’ve having trouble finding the center of the club face. Luckily my PINGs are doing the heavy lifting. They make me confident in taking on any shot I come across with any of the clubs and makes me feel like any green is on notice.

I’m hopeful as we continue through the season I’ll be able to post some great scores and stories in this thread for you, but for now, it’s just a bit off.

Ka8YvEim.jpg

A feeling of being lost, too common on the golf course

Miscellaneous (8 out of 10)

So, big props to PING for their online fitting and their access to information that they gave us. Top marks and by far gives me a better understanding of why they have such a loyal following in the industry and among amateurs.

But there is an issue, and while I know it’s not an Arccos review, I feel lit would be incomplete if I didn’t discuss Arccos as PING including Smart Grips as an option was a selling point. The Arccos app on Android is a bit finicky for catching stats, which is why I don’t have much in the way of screenshots to share here. I have to spend a bit more time editing the round as I go. It’s not a huge issue, but something I wanted to mention.

Play It or Trade It (20 out of 20)

I was hoping to get a new set of irons this year and was lucky enough to be chosen for this testing opportunity. After the past two months, while I think those were potentially really good irons from other companies, I am ecstatic with the PING G710. They tick every box for me to be in the bag into 2021 and beyond and it’s going to be tough for them to be knocked out. I don’t want to say I’m forever a PING iron man, but they are now at the top of list for testing and fitting in the future.

IT’LL NEVER BE ENOUGH

Greatestshowman Never Enough GIF - Greatestshowman NeverEnough Never GIFs

So, if you didn’t enjoy the previous 1500 plus words, or if you’re just impatient, here’s the brass tacks. These irons are great and I would recommend them to any player, regardless of handicap. If you like long and straight and high, which works for a lot of us, you owe it to yourself to test the PING G710. The may not be the longest or the most workable, but you get a quality iron from a quality company.

Also, keep eyes on this space for updates throughout the summer, and check out my new WITB.

OVERALL: 88 out of 100

iW3DdFGm.jpg

The Pleasure Was Mine

Very nice berg. Love your photos with some quoting had me laughing.

yes definitely went extreme on my end but I think that’s a good big picture of what to expect when you’re ready to trade these things in.

really hope your driver and CO. Start behaving so you can showcase these irons from your score!

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

giphy.gif

That's right everyone, it's your guy Berg Ryman back with his final review of the Ping G710 iron set. Before we begin I'd like to take this time in the intro to that the MGS Staff, my fellow testers @perseveringgolfer, @Lacassem, @JonMUSC08, and let's not forget the man who gave up this opportunity due to COVID concerns @McaseyM, for their help in this tread and this summer in putting these proper irons through the paces. GIve reads to the other reviews as they have alot of exciting video and opinions that may or may not match my own and may better inform you and hopefully give you a round about idea of how these irons may perform for you. Lastly, a huge shout out to my girlfriend Monica. We able to get out yesterday after my morning 18 for another 9 for some photos to pepper the review with. She is the best. 

6CZ7Uwom.jpg

THIS IS ME...

CJDi5zEm.jpg

I'm currently playing of a 10.1, but have been as low as a 3 in high school and as high as a 18 when I was working my way back. Based in Central New York, my golf season isn't the longest in the world due to harsh winters, but I try to optimize my time by playing my game into shape, although I have gotten in range sessions when needed or just to beat some frustration in life out. The last set of irons before this test I had was the Cobra F7 One Length. I did a self fit for them, having worked in the golf section at Dick's for nearly 3 years. I average around 78 MPH for 7 iron, hitting it on average carry of 155-ish. If I step on it I can carry it to 165. Iron play is a strength of my game, but I've always had issues with ball flight. I'm a low ball hitter. I've been complemented of my stinger like ball flights with 9 iron and Pitching Wedge in the past. I'm hoping this is an iron that helps me launch the ball higher for my irons.

q9M9GwZm.jpg

Before we begin here, a quick aside. I hate the current way golf clubs are labelled. I understand it’s easy to group similar clubs together based on perceived characteristics, it’s easy jargon to strat the non-informed golfer on the way toward finding a iron that may work for them, but I hate it. So let’s just agree to call these a Super Game Improvement Iron and move past it.

So, let’s talk about what PING is claiming with the G710. Layman terms, you’re looking at irons that fly higher and farther, partially because of lofts, partially because of tech. They should be more forgiving on off-center strikes due to that perimeter weighting improvement and should play better in wet conditions.

The real question, is it all advertising speak? Honestly, it’s tough to say. It’s pretty easy to become disillusioned to these things when you hear it every year, but I see PING as a different case. They always test well in Most Wanted, they don’t rush their product cycles, and they always find their way into the bags of many amateurs. This is my first experience with PING in my bag, so I’m coming into this with the most open of eyes.

Km8aqOjm.jpg

Looks (10 out of 10)

I’m not going to pull any punches here. The black color is sexy. It sits well on the shelf for proper shelf appeal and it just looks cool. The badging is minimal which is really nice and while some may consider these irons large, the black does slim. After all, why do you think my chubby self wore black on a 90+ degree day to take some pictures?

bHUgtQEm.jpg

Now, I know you’ve seen @Lacassem post on wear. That’s a really extreme example. I’ve seen minor scratching on the sole of the club, like from tees and range areas that aren’t the best grass.  It’s nothing past what I would consider normal wear and tear. Plus, you’re not looking at the sole of the club at address.

Also, I’d give it an 11 if I could because of that line-up line. So simple, so easy.

0PEKZy4m.jpg

Ok, total honesty from me here, I never feel how to rate this category correctly. With certain clubs it’s easier, like my Stroke Lab review from last year, because feel is so important to a putter, but in an iron… I don’t really ever feel a difference if I’m honest among clubs in similar styles. Therefore, it feels like a PING iron. You already probably know how you feel about that. The different thing is the sound. I recommend you check out the video by @JonMUSC08 as I feel like it captures what the sound is. It might not be everyone’s taste, but I personally don’t mind it. The crack gives me the feel of power and is different than a thud. So an 8 seems, right.. i guess?

Also for feel, the Modus shaft is legit. Very happy with it and would recommend it to anyone looking for an easier stable shaft to swing.

ata2fBnm.jpg

Sometimes I feel like this on the course, sometimes in when I'm writing the review

Let’s get it out of the way upfront. The lofts on these are not traditional, but they aren’t extreme in my opinion. PING finds a way to strike that balance in a world where people are seemingly going mad. Admittedly, the lofts on these clubs weren’t all that difference than my old Cobra’s maybe only differing my around half a degree. As such, I was slightly longer from 7 iron on down, but it wasn’t by much. We’re talking carrying 7 iron 157 instead of 155. The real difference was from 6 iron on up.

pWW1Qcdm.jpg

You read that bold sentence correct. Me, the hybrid guy, the near 7 wood guy, is now a 4 iron guy. That thing was a weapon for me off the tee against @Blackngold_Blood. I can punch shots out under trees and keep it low, I can hit it high if necessary to uphill greens. I love the G710 4 iron, it is my personal swiss army knife. 200 yards and easy money. I’m around 10 yards longer with 4 and 5 iron, and roughly 6-8 yards longer with 6. Part of it is the shaft length coming from One Length, but part of it is forgiveness.

The other thing that is a big plus for these irons is the launch. I wanted to increase the height of my iron shots and it’s happened. Whether it’s the sole or the weighting I don’t know exactly, but these things launch and I love it. Plus, although the soles are wide, they are easy to flight where I need to. The accuracy on these things is near point and shoot. If you’re aimed in the right spot, it’s easy.

Why the knocks? Well, they aren’t workable when I need to, which is not that often, but it’s hard to move them in a meaningful way, but straight works. The other knock, although I’m longer in the long irons, I was hoping for a bit more distance in the short irons.

5rIBAfPm.jpg

2 iron only rounds, 6 other rounds, including a tournament qualifier, but no career best from these irons. I wish I had a success story like @JonMUSC08from this season, but I have to be honest, I haven’t. My game has been a bit up and down this summer. A 91 in the my tournament qualifier, and a lot of rounds in the low to mid 80’s. In a perfect season I’d be in the high 70’s, But I have to admit, the issue right now is not my irons. It’s the driver and my fairway woods. I’ve having trouble finding the center of the club face. Luckily my PINGs are doing the heavy lifting. They make me confident in taking on any shot I come across with any of the clubs and makes me feel like any green is on notice.

I’m hopeful as we continue through the season I’ll be able to post some great scores and stories in this thread for you, but for now, it’s just a bit off.

Ka8YvEim.jpg

So, big props to PING for their online fitting and their access to information that they gave us. Top marks and by far gives me a better understanding of why they have such a loyal following in the industry and among amateurs.

But there is an issue, and while I know it’s not an Arccos review, I feel lit would be incomplete if I didn’t discuss Arccos as PING including Smart Grips as an option was a selling point. The Arccos app on Android is a bit finicky for catching stats, which is why I don’t have much in the way of screenshots to share here. I have to spend a bit more time editing the round as I go. It’s not a huge issue, but something I wanted to mention.

I was hoping to get a new set of irons this year and was lucky enough to be chosen for this testing opportunity. After the past two months, while I think those were potentially really good irons from other companies, I am ecstatic with the PING G710. They tick every box for me to be in the bag into 2021 and beyond and it’s going to be tough for them to be knocked out. I don’t want to say I’m forever a PING iron man, but they are now at the top of list for testing and fitting in the future.

IT’LL NEVER BE ENOUGH

So, if you didn’t enjoy the previous 1500 plus words, or if you’re just impatient, here’s the brass tacks. These irons are great and I would recommend them to any player, regardless of handicap. If you like long and straight and high, which works for a lot of us, you owe it to yourself to test the PING G710. The may not be the longest or the most workable, but you get a quality iron from a quality company.

Also, keep eyes on this space for updates throughout the summer, and check out my new WITB.

iW3DdFGm.jpg

The Pleasure Was Mine

Nice job man...to think you were sold on the Cleveland's prior to this testing...look like you found a winner and a winner found you.  

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

2 hours ago, bens197 said:

Nice job man...to think you were sold on the Cleveland's prior to this testing...look like you found a winner and a winner found you.  

Nice tip off on the Modus btw. Really enjoying them. Now to crash your thread in the future.

SIK Golf Flo-C

nice job @Berg Ryman. Do the Modus shafts and the G710's help you from hitting 9-iron stingers? haha had the KBS shafts in mine and hit great launching shots. Might be too high for people that play in a lot of wind but not for me.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

58 minutes ago, JonMUSC08 said:

nice job @Berg Ryman. Do the Modus shafts and the G710's help you from hitting 9-iron stingers? haha had the KBS shafts in mine and hit great launching shots. Might be too high for people that play in a lot of wind but not for me.

Got to look higher for the ball flights now.

SIK Golf Flo-C

giphy.gif

6CZ7Uwom.jpg

THIS IS ME...

CJDi5zEm.jpg

q9M9GwZm.jpg

Km8aqOjm.jpg

Looks (10 out of 10)

bHUgtQEm.jpg

0PEKZy4m.jpg

ata2fBnm.jpg

pWW1Qcdm.jpg

5rIBAfPm.jpg

Ka8YvEim.jpg

IT’LL NEVER BE ENOUGH

iW3DdFGm.jpg

The Pleasure Was Mine

This is how you do a review recap right here. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Just now, russtopherb said:

This is how you do a review recap right here. 

Appreciate it @russtopherb

SIK Golf Flo-C

15 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

Well, after a lost review this afternoon, my review is live, and I'll be bumping the thread again in the morning. Check it here!

Another great, thorough review (and entertaining to boot!) I'm really liking all the positives I'm seeing about these clubs. It doesn't seem like the wear to the finish was much of an issue for you. It looks like you got about 8 rounds of play put on them, but did you put any driving range time on them as well? 

giphy.gif

That's right everyone, it's your guy Berg Ryman back with his final review of the Ping G710 iron set. Before we begin I'd like to take this time in the intro to that the MGS Staff, my fellow testers [mention=76917]perseveringgolfer[/mention], [mention=85612]Lacassem[/mention], [mention=72959]JonMUSC08[/mention], and let's not forget the man who gave up this opportunity due to COVID concerns [mention=53756]McaseyM[/mention], for their help in this tread and this summer in putting these proper irons through the paces. GIve reads to the other reviews as they have alot of exciting video and opinions that may or may not match my own and may better inform you and hopefully give you a round about idea of how these irons may perform for you. Lastly, a huge shout out to my girlfriend Monica. We able to get out yesterday after my morning 18 for another 9 for some photos to pepper the review with. She is the best. 

6CZ7Uwom.jpg

THIS IS ME...

CJDi5zEm.jpg

q9M9GwZm.jpg

Km8aqOjm.jpg

Looks (10 out of 10)

bHUgtQEm.jpg

Now, I know you’ve seen [mention=85612]Lacassem[/mention] post on wear. That’s a really extreme example. I’ve seen minor scratching on the sole of the club, like from tees and range areas that aren’t the best grass.  It’s nothing past what I would consider normal wear and tear. Plus, you’re not looking at the sole of the club at address.

0PEKZy4m.jpg

Ok, total honesty from me here, I never feel how to rate this category correctly. With certain clubs it’s easier, like my Stroke Lab review from last year, because feel is so important to a putter, but in an iron… I don’t really ever feel a difference if I’m honest among clubs in similar styles. Therefore, it feels like a PING iron. You already probably know how you feel about that. The different thing is the sound. I recommend you check out the video by [mention=72959]JonMUSC08[/mention] as I feel like it captures what the sound is. It might not be everyone’s taste, but I personally don’t mind it. The crack gives me the feel of power and is different than a thud. So an 8 seems, right.. i guess?

ata2fBnm.jpg

pWW1Qcdm.jpg

You read that bold sentence correct. Me, the hybrid guy, the near 7 wood guy, is now a 4 iron guy. That thing was a weapon for me off the tee against@Blackngold_Blood. I can punch shots out under trees and keep it low, I can hit it high if necessary to uphill greens. I love the G710 4 iron, it is my personal swiss army knife. 200 yards and easy money. I’m around 10 yards longer with 4 and 5 iron, and roughly 6-8 yards longer with 6. Part of it is the shaft length coming from One Length, but part of it is forgiveness.

5rIBAfPm.jpg

2 iron only rounds, 6 other rounds, including a tournament qualifier, but no career best from these irons. I wish I had a success story like [mention=72959]JonMUSC08[/mention]from this season, but I have to be honest, I haven’t. My game has been a bit up and down this summer. A 91 in the my tournament qualifier, and a lot of rounds in the low to mid 80’s. In a perfect season I’d be in the high 70’s, But I have to admit, the issue right now is not my irons. It’s the driver and my fairway woods. I’ve having trouble finding the center of the club face. Luckily my PINGs are doing the heavy lifting. They make me confident in taking on any shot I come across with any of the clubs and makes me feel like any green is on notice.

Ka8YvEim.jpg

IT’LL NEVER BE ENOUGH

tenor.gif?itemid=12964715

[/url]  

iW3DdFGm.jpg

The Pleasure Was Mine

Nice job!!
Looking forward to see how the finish holds up.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Since this place holder was originally put here for me, I thought I'd put a little something in it. A huge thank you to Ping for supporting the mission of MGS and providing the opportunity for the test and MyGolfSpy for picking me to participate, but unfortunately I had to withdraw due to time restrictions and family needs once our area schools closed. 
I've been able to be on the inside of the messages back and forth between the testers and mods and it's been fun to follow along and I'm looking forward and everyone's final reviews. 
Thanks again and you'll see my name back in the application pools when life allows.  

Well done

Rick

Left Hand,