TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Official Member Review: PING G710 Irons

1 hour ago, BryanK said:

Another great, thorough review (and entertaining to boot!) I'm really liking all the positives I'm seeing about these clubs. It doesn't seem like the wear to the finish was much of an issue for you. It looks like you got about 8 rounds of play put on them, but did you put any driving range time on them as well? 

Ya know, I did! Not a much as others as I play my game into shape, but I got some mat work and grass in early on, maybe somewhere between 200-300 balls?

The finish held fine for me, although I did get a touch of nicks on the soles in my grass session. Why? Well, the range I have availability to me is basically an empty lot of land with random grasses, not a pristine lawn so there's tiny pebbles in the dirt and the grass isn't cut evenly. When I get some time this week away from work I can add some pictures of the face and sole of the irons to give you an idea, but I don't get bothered by it. After all, they are meant to be used.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Ya know, I did! Not a much as others as I play my game into shape, but I got some mat work and grass in early on, maybe somewhere between 200-300 balls?
The finish held fine for me, although I did get a touch of nicks on the soles in my grass session. Why? Well, the range I have availability to me is basically an empty lot of land with random grasses, not a pristine lawn so there's tiny pebbles in the dirt and the grass isn't cut evenly. When I get some time this week away from work I can add some pictures of the face and sole of the irons to give you an idea, but I don't get bothered by it. After all, they are meant to be used.

For some reason I just love the G710 probably the finish.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

1 hour ago, Berg Ryman said:

Thanks! I'd love to see any pics that you have to compare to other pics here. From what I'm reading with all the reviews, it seems like short or trying to really punish them, they should be fine. I guess I'm just trying to be sure because while I don't mind making the investment at this price point, I would hate to have buyer's remorse over that aspect. Especially when it seems like the functionality (which is really what should be most important anyway) is checking all the boxes for a new player like me. 

Driver - Callaway Speed XR 10.5

Fairway - 3 Wood - Callaway Speed XR

Hybrids - 3H/5H - Callaway Steelhead

Irons - 4-PW - Titliest DCI Oversize (loaners)

Sand Wedge - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth - 54'

Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab

50 minutes ago, BryanK said:

Thanks! I'd love to see any pics that you have to compare to other pics here. From what I'm reading with all the reviews, it seems like short or trying to really punish them, they should be fine. I guess I'm just trying to be sure because while I don't mind making the investment at this price point, I would hate to have buyer's remorse over that aspect. Especially when it seems like the functionality (which is really what should be most important anyway) is checking all the boxes for a new player like me. 

I punished these things. Normal wear is noticeable like any other club but not bad. The finish is really good, I just wanted to make sure that folks understood there will be marks that’s a guarantee but I was thoroughly impressed with durability.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

[mention]Berg Ryman [/mention] nicely done! I loved your on course photos with your personality showing through.

It’s been really nice to see these clubs work pretty well for all of you guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I have a question for all the reviewers regarding the grips. I read someone post somewhere else that they felt like the Arccos grips had a spongy feel at the very end(tip) of the grip because of the actual sensor. I'm not sure that I'll want to use that service over the long haul so I'm contemplating changing the grips from the start. Any thoughts?

20 minutes ago, BryanK said:

I have a question for all the reviewers regarding the grips. I read someone post somewhere else that they felt like the Arccos grips had a spongy feel at the very end(tip) of the grip because of the actual sensor. I'm not sure that I'll want to use that service over the long haul so I'm contemplating changing the grips from the start. Any thoughts?

I did not personally like the smart grips myself. I liked the screw in inserts better. Had nothing to do with the grip itself though, the grip itself was fine.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

2 hours ago, BryanK said:

I already owned the screw-in sensors and then the G710's came with the Arccos grips. Personally, i dont notice either of them on there. I also dont think you should be gripping the very edge of the club anyway. If you can feel the slight flex in the Arccos grips, then you are prolly gripping too hard anyway (and this is coming from someone that death grips my clubs haha). You'll be fine either way.

BUT like all grips, they wear down... so if you ever change your clubs or grips, im not sure how you get or change the sensors. The screw-in sensors can move from club to club.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

1 hour ago, JonMUSC08 said:

I already owned the screw-in sensors and then the G710's came with the Arccos grips. Personally, i dont notice either of them on there. I also dont think you should be gripping the very edge of the club anyway. If you can feel the slight flex in the Arccos grips, then you are prolly gripping too hard anyway (and this is coming from someone that death grips my clubs haha). You'll be fine either way.

BUT like all grips, they wear down... so if you ever change your clubs or grips, im not sure how you get or change the sensors. The screw-in sensors can move from club to club.

Thanks to you and Mark for the input. That's funny about gripping too tight - my buddy tells me to "stop wringing the chicken's neck!" so I'm already trying to be more aware of that. I know it's a cool feature but do y'all really use the app and data from those on a regular basis? Or more just "feel" and results on course as feedback?

44 minutes ago, BryanK said:

Thanks to you and Mark for the input. That's funny about gripping too tight - my buddy tells me to "stop wringing the chicken's neck!" so I'm already trying to be more aware of that. I know it's a cool feature but do y'all really use the app and data from those on a regular basis? Or more just "feel" and results on course as feedback?

I love arccos and as long as I continue playing often I will keep it. You need to be playing often Atleast once a week to justify having it IMO

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

Also quick aside, I know I went for a Greatest Showman theme for the review, feels like I missed an opportunity with as hot as Hamilton is again.

Guess I threw away my shot

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

SIK Golf Flo-C

5 hours ago, BryanK said:

I like seeing the data after each round. Check out how long you ACTUALLY hit the ball off the tee. It becomes more and more valuable th emore you play. The more shots you get per club, the more defined the average distance and ranges for each club accumulate. That data helps when you wanna know quick yardage and if you normally hit it that far. It counts the number of putts and can give you info like where you normally attack a green; hit, short, long, left, right. There is a lot of data that is useful to know.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

10 hours ago, BryanK said:

I'll jump in here. I am uncertain about how Arccos is gonna go for me going forward. What I think will make my decision for me is how available different types of grips with Smart Grip support will be going forward. I know you can primarily get GP from Arccos directly and Lamkin from Cobra if you don't care about cross-contamination, but the cost is gonna get there.

For example, a pack of Smart Grips from Arccos runs you 199-249. If you put them on yourself, you save cost, if not, that's another 40ish bucks. Plus, you pay for Arccos Caddie at 99 bucks a year. Luckily since we're testing we got it free for a year, but that's a yearly cost. So you're lookong at a cost of 300 bucks every couple of years, and 100 in the years you don't regrip.

I'm thinking about Shotscope as well because I like having the data available to me and the GPS, it's just what's going to give me the best bang for the buck.

SIK Golf Flo-C

I will be playing 2 rounds Tuesday/Wednesday next week with my father who will be using these. Will be sure to do a write up with pictures on his thoughts as he has been working with these for a couple weeks at the range and a couple rounds so he should have a good feel. Hoping to see a drop in his scoring.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

OK weird morning. Had a Doctor Telecom w GP and all good. After this went to local Golf Store and finally hit the G710’s. Guys they are awesome! May be the best feeling club I’ve ever hit. Numbers were slightly longer than my current clubs.
These clubs are the real deal

Rick

Left Hand, 

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

OK weird morning. Had a Doctor Telecom w GP and all good. After this went to local Golf Store and finally hit the G710’s. Guys they are awesome! May be the best feeling club I’ve ever hit. Numbers were slightly longer than my current clubs.
These clubs are the real dealemoji106.png

How do you feel about the sound Rick?

SIK Golf Flo-C

2 hours ago, Lacassem said:

I will be playing 2 rounds Tuesday/Wednesday next week with my father who will be using these. Will be sure to do a write up with pictures on his thoughts as he has been working with these for a couple weeks at the range and a couple rounds so he should have a good feel. Hoping to see a drop in his scoring.

Look forward to that update

How do you feel about the sound Rick?

Sound No problem w me, never noticed.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Should be an interesting mini review.

Rick

Left Hand, 

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

These clubs are the real dealemoji106.png

That is a strong endorsement, especially since you were a tester for the G410's. Any comparisons or contrasts of note that stood out to you? 

That is a strong endorsement, especially since you were a tester for the G410's. Any comparisons or contrasts of note that stood out to you? 

Feel, G710 just felt better. Also different shafts. G410 Alta CB, G710 Recoil. G710 head felt slightly heavier in a good way.

Edit: G710 head felt heavier in good way.

Rick

Left Hand, 

42 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Feel, G710 just felt better. Also different shafts. G410 Alta CB, G710 Recoil. G710 head felt slightly heavier in a good way.

Edit: G710 head felt heavier in good way.

so if I'm right (still new to all this) Alta CB is graphite and Recoil is steel.( seems like most of the testers wound up in steel shaft and wasn't sure if that was because of their overall skill level) -  I know that some steel shafts can be get down in weight (grams) comparable to graphite shafts ( which I thought were generally lighter and was the advantage of the graphite initially) so if weights and flex are the same, is it just personal preference? And would you expect much difference in feel with the same flex and weights for a similar graphite vs a steel shaft? I see they are pairing the 710 with a Alta Distenza  graphite shaft which is very light weight and softer tip flex. I realize that this is probably the part that the Fitter sorts out but just curious so I'll have some idea what to expect/ look for/ ask when I go in.

so if I'm right (still new to all this) Alta CB is graphite and Recoil is steel.( seems like most of the testers wound up in steel shaft and wasn't sure if that was because of their overall skill level) -  I know that some steel shafts can be get down in weight (grams) comparable to graphite shafts ( which I thought were generally lighter and was the advantage of the graphite initially) so if weights and flex are the same, is it just personal preference? And would you expect much difference in feel with the same flex and weights for a similar graphite vs a steel shaft? I see they are pairing the 710 with a Alta Distenza  graphite shaft which is very light weight and softer tip flex. I realize that this is probably the part that the Fitter sorts out but just curious so I'll have some idea what to expect/ look for/ ask when I go in.

BK
The Alta CB & Recoils are both graphite. I’ve gotten a bit too old for steel.
I failed to remember the exact shaft # as I was running around a bit this morning and also didn’t want to get caught in the heavy rain in the cart.

Rick

Left Hand, 

ok, thanks. I'm 55y and new so I'm thinking graphite too but I'll be open minded. Stay safe with the rain

ok, thanks. I'm 55y and new so I'm thinking graphite too but I'll be open minded. Stay safe with the rain

I’m 73 and like you got a late start to the game around 50. I started w steel and switched to graphite and for me that’s the way to go.
Welcome and have fun

Rick

Left Hand, 

Daummm, can’t get the G710 I hit yesterday out of my little brain. I don’t think I hit a club that felt that good since.......hate to say it P790

Rick

Left Hand, 

Spoke with my father last night. Loving the irons and he had his lowest round all year on Tuesday 46/49

he also had 5 pars....in a row.

i have never seen him do that before

cant wait to get 2 rounds in next week with some of his thoughts and my analysis on his swing.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

Spoke with my father last night. Loving the irons and he had his lowest round all year on Tuesday 46/49
he also had 5 pars....in a row.
i have never seen him do that before
cant wait to get 2 rounds in next week with some of his thoughts and my analysis on his swing.

I guess he likes them

Rick

Left Hand, 

Played another round with the G710's yesterday. My father-in-law and i decided to challenge ourselves and play from the TIPS (6800yds). We typically play from about 6300yds at that course. Shot an 87! Very happy with that round considering the added distance. Gotta be happy when you hit 10/14 fairways and 5/18 GIR. (3) 3 putts arent so good... The added distance in the iron lofting helped for sure. I think playing smarter and knowing my misses helped as well.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

On 7/24/2020 at 8:59 AM, Rickp said:

Daummm, can’t get the G710 I hit yesterday out of my little brain. I don’t think I hit a club that felt that good since.......hate to say it P790emoji33.png

Sounds like you might want to trade in the G410's on a set of the G710's?  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)