Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2020 Official Member Review: PING G710 Irons

24 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Alright everyone, let's talk about Iron Only Round #1.

First, the location, a nice warm Juneteenth Friday in Central Sqaure, NY at Caughdenoy Links. A former farm pasture turned into a golf course in 1995. It's been through a few owners over the past few years but it has found residence under the RJ Graham golf umbrella in NY, owners of 3 other courses. I've played there in the past but have had struggles, elevation changes and small and tricky greens makes the course play a bit harder than its rating and slope would indicate. From the white tees, it's 6194 yards, rated at 68.9 and sloped at 114, likely because it's wide open if you're hitting driver well. Snaking throughout the court are water hazards, including Caughdenoy Creek, which was the course's old name.

But enough about the course, you're wondering how I played right? Well, I think I played pretty well if I say so myself. I shot at nice little 81 (+9), going 41-40. When adjusting my handicap to the course handicap I was playing off a 7 around there, so a net 74 (+2). 

Real talk, everyone should try one of these rounds. I had an absolute blast and it helped me understand my game even more and why I do the things I do. First thing first, I hit 4 iron off every tee accept for par 3's and man, when I swing it and nail it it flat out preforms. I'm going to say this right now, I'm going to be a long iron player from here on out. Maybe not GI or Blade Long Irons, but utility irons and wide soled long irons are for some reason really performing with me. I averaged around 195 off the tee with it, which is long for me in the space which the longest getting out there to 214. 

Now that I've been working through these irons for a wild I can say that the distance issue was more me than the clubs. They may be a touch longer, maybe not a crazy distance increase, but the launch and ability to get good landing angles is awesome with these. The one downside and where I think @blackngold_blood may have the advantage is in scrambling. It is hard for me to hit the types of shots I like to around the green with these wider soled wedges. I'm sure that @JonMUSC08 may be having a different time with his SW and I can't wait to hear about in his review, but it's just not for me. 

So, let's talk Arccos. Being honest, I really enjoy being able to stat track and get approximate measurements to greens in a way to help me. There were a few bugs with Caughdenoy's mapping which meant I couldn't fully rely on the numbers, but the numbers I did trust were pretty damn spot on. Namely they had the wrong greens mapped for the 9th and 18th holes since the basically almost use the same tee. It was also spotty on tracking the chips and short putts which let to editing on almost every tee. I'm hoping it gets better and it's not anything that's disqualifying, just a note. Also, no surprise here, the thing I'm best at is putting (+.9) and I'm not taking driving serious in this round as I was using 4 iron for the most part, handicapped at 19.8. Approach handicap was 7.6, chipping was 8.9.

Oh, also I continue to see a lot of talk about the finish on these. Well, I'm going to be putting that finish to the test because coming up for me in July is another fun competition on these forums and one I strongly suggest, put on by one of my favorite members @JohnSmalls, the 2020 Hard Rock Challenge. If these can hold up to some of the rocks that'll be hitting these faces, you know that iron is built to last. You can learn more about the HRC right here.

So, one more iron only round to go and I know it's going to be at my home course because I think I can really make it happen if what I was able to do at a course I haven't had the best of success at. I wish you all the luck in the world @blackngold_blood, looks like you might be needing it.

Love iron only rounds. Good stuff

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

First, the location, a nice warm Juneteenth Friday in Central Sqaure, NY at Caughdenoy Links. A former farm pasture turned into a golf course in 1995. It's been through a few owners over the past few years but it has found residence under the RJ Graham golf umbrella in NY, owners of 3 other courses. I've played there in the past but have had struggles, elevation changes and small and tricky greens makes the course play a bit harder than its rating and slope would indicate. From the white tees, it's 6194 yards, rated at 68.9 and sloped at 114, likely because it's wide open if you're hitting driver well. Snaking throughout the court are water hazards, including Caughdenoy Creek, which was the course's old name.
But enough about the course, you're wondering how I played right? Well, I think I played pretty well if I say so myself. I shot at nice little 81 (+9), going 41-40. When adjusting my handicap to the course handicap I was playing off a 7 around there, so a net 74 (+2). 
Real talk, everyone should try one of these rounds. I had an absolute blast and it helped me understand my game even more and why I do the things I do. First thing first, I hit 4 iron off every tee accept for par 3's and man, when I swing it and nail it it flat out preforms. I'm going to say this right now, I'm going to be a long iron player from here on out. Maybe not GI or Blade Long Irons, but utility irons and wide soled long irons are for some reason really performing with me. I averaged around 195 off the tee with it, which is long for me in the space which the longest getting out there to 214. 
Now that I've been working through these irons for a wild I can say that the distance issue was more me than the clubs. They may be a touch longer, maybe not a crazy distance increase, but the launch and ability to get good landing angles is awesome with these. The one downside and where I think [mention=55774]blackngold_blood[/mention] may have the advantage is in scrambling. It is hard for me to hit the types of shots I like to around the green with these wider soled wedges. I'm sure that [mention=72959]JonMUSC08[/mention] may be having a different time with his SW and I can't wait to hear about in his review, but it's just not for me. 
So, let's talk Arccos. Being honest, I really enjoy being able to stat track and get approximate measurements to greens in a way to help me. There were a few bugs with Caughdenoy's mapping which meant I couldn't fully rely on the numbers, but the numbers I did trust were pretty damn spot on. Namely they had the wrong greens mapped for the 9th and 18th holes since the basically almost use the same tee. It was also spotty on tracking the chips and short putts which let to editing on almost every tee. I'm hoping it gets better and it's not anything that's disqualifying, just a note. Also, no surprise here, the thing I'm best at is putting (+.9) and I'm not taking driving serious in this round as I was using 4 iron for the most part, handicapped at 19.8. Approach handicap was 7.6, chipping was 8.9.
Oh, also I continue to see a lot of talk about the finish on these. Well, I'm going to be putting that finish to the test because coming up for me in July is another fun competition on these forums and one I strongly suggest, put on by one of my favorite members [mention=70071]JohnSmalls[/mention], the 2020 Hard Rock Challenge. If these can hold up to some of the rocks that'll be hitting these faces, you know that iron is built to last. You can learn more about the HRC right here.
So, one more iron only round to go and I know it's going to be at my home course because I think I can really make it happen if what I was able to do at a course I haven't had the best of success at. I wish you all the luck in the world [mention=55774]blackngold_blood[/mention], looks like you might be needing it.
Coming out firing Berg! I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you may have this in the bag already but I'm not gonna just gonna lay down just yet. If the 4 iron can behave like my last 2 rounds I have an outside shot. If not no amount of scrambling will help! First round for me will be next weekend as I have a much more important engagement tomorrow that has required my whole weekend(Daughters High School Graduation).

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

25 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

Coming out firing Berg! I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you may have this in the bag already but I'm not gonna just gonna lay down just yet. If the 4 iron can behave like my last 2 rounds I have an outside shot. If not no amount of scrambling will help! First round for me will be next weekend as I have a much more important engagement tomorrow that has required my whole weekend(Daughters High School Graduation).

I xaw that, I hope it went well. Yeah the 4 can be a fickle beast, i kinda lost it a bit near the turn start of the second nine, but once I slowed down on the takeaway it got back on plane. Really it was the putter that did it, putted like a mad man and had some big saves. It's doable and I believe in you.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Now that I've been working through these irons for a wild I can say that the distance issue was more me than the clubs. They may be a touch longer, maybe not a crazy distance increase, but the launch and ability to get good landing angles is awesome with these. The one downside and where I think [mention=55774]blackngold_blood[/mention] may have the advantage is in scrambling. It is hard for me to hit the types of shots I like to around the green with these wider soled wedges. I'm sure that [mention=72959]JonMUSC08[/mention] may be having a different time with his SW and I can't wait to hear about in his review, but it's just not for me. 
Oh, also I continue to see a lot of talk about the finish on these. Well, I'm going to be putting that finish to the test because coming up for me in July is another fun competition on these forums and one I strongly suggest, put on by one of my favorite members [mention=70071]JohnSmalls[/mention], the 2020 Hard Rock Challenge. If these can hold up to some of the rocks that'll be hitting these faces, you know that iron is built to last. You can learn more about the HRC right here.
So, one more iron only round to go and I know it's going to be at my home course because I think I can really make it happen if what I was able to do at a course I haven't had the best of success at. I wish you all the luck in the world [mention=55774]blackngold_blood[/mention], looks like you might be needing it.

Nice write up! Good job

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Enjoy family day tomorrow

Rick

Left Hand, 

Enjoy family day tomorrow

Rick

Left Hand, 

You guys have been nailing this review, keep it up!   Iron only reviews can be a lot of fun and test your shot making.  Can't wait to see what conclusions you guys draw from the irons.  @Berg Ryman thanks for the kind words and pushing through with the test in the HRC!   Considering higher handicap guys will be playing these irons, one can safely assume they will hit a Top Flite at some point.  Leaving no rock unturned 😜

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

16 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

You guys have been nailing this review, keep it up!   Iron only reviews can be a lot of fun and test your shot making.  Can't wait to see what conclusions you guys draw from the irons.  @Berg Ryman thanks for the kind words and pushing through with the test in the HRC!   Considering higher handicap guys will be playing these irons, one can safely assume they will hit a Top Flite at some point.  Leaving no rock unturned 😜

Go Tigers!

C863FD6F-A6FF-4575-AE0B-D47F55C55EE2.jpeg

Alright...I'm pretty much caught up and love the depth of content which raises the bar for those of us testing the Hogan PTx Combo's.  I have just one question for the testers...

Knowing what you know now, how accurate was your remote fitting and are you satisfied with your shaft choice?  Ok, maybe two questions but you get my drift 🙂

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

28 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Alright...I'm pretty much caught up and love the depth of content which raises the bar for those of us testing the Hogan PTx Combo's.  I have just one question for the testers...

Knowing what you know now, how accurate was your remote fitting and are you satisfied with your shaft choice?  Ok, maybe two questions but you get my drift 🙂

I was lucky I had alot of my numbers from a fitting that took place about 5 months prior....I would have preferred to go in and see numbers for these clubs because the LZ is a medium launch/medium spin and I am honestly towering on ball flight with these clubs. I might have been able to get away with a low launch/spin shaft and been ok...I know the intent of these clubs is to get the ball higher....but I do that already, these balls are high which youll see in a video on my final.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

39 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

I was lucky I had alot of my numbers from a fitting that took place about 5 months prior....I would have preferred to go in and see numbers for these clubs because the LZ is a medium launch/medium spin and I am honestly towering on ball flight with these clubs. I might have been able to get away with a low launch/spin shaft and been ok...I know the intent of these clubs is to get the ball higher....but I do that already, these balls are high which youll see in a video on my final.

I always thought that was the tricky part. Finding the correct shaft for a head designed to get the ball up while working for the golfer doesn’t sound easy. What would work for an ordinary GI iron may not work at all for SGI’s. 

Looking forward to your final 👍🏼

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

3 hours ago, bens197 said:

Simply put, yes. More in-depth answer... wait until the 19th 😉

Seriously though, I'll address this point tonight when I have some more time to expand my thoughts.

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

SIK Golf Flo-C

29 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Simply put, yes. More in-depth answer... wait until the 19th 😉

Seriously though, I'll address this point tonight when I have some more time to expand my thoughts.

Wait?  What do you mean wait?  You think we’re the patient type!? 🤣

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

Wait?  What do you mean wait?  You think we’re the patient type!? 🤣

Good things, waiting, something... I forget the quote 😉

SIK Golf Flo-C

2 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Good things, waiting, something... I forget the quote 😉

patience is a something or another?

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

14 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

patience is a something or another?

sounds like something someone might have said... hard to say.

SIK Golf Flo-C

7 hours ago, bens197 said:

The remote fitting was fine. Ping put me in the same shafts that I currently use. The fitters are certainly very good at their job but technology helps out tremendously (launch monitors). But being able to see your swing and ball flight in-person is needed. I wanted to try different shafts and see how it affects flight but also dispersion.  I would not do an online fitting if i had to buy in clubs myself. It was fun meeting and talking to their Master Fitter but, as good as i know my swing, I couldnt provide the level of detail that would ideally custom fit me.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

10 hours ago, bens197 said:

Never one to leave them wanting, I'm back this evening to answer your questions @bens197

When I was going through the online fitting, and I mentioned this in my post about the fitting process, I was scoping out the Nippon Shafts. The fact that Pat came back with one of those as an option or the LZ I was ecstatic to say the least. Now, was the fitting accurate on the shaft choice? Admittedly it's difficult to say considering I didn't get to swing the iron through every shaft, so I don't know if one would outperform what I have.

To answer the second question Steve, I'm beyond satisfied with my shaft choice. Am I sure they're the absolute best ones for me? I can't answer that question but I know that I don't care what the answer is, I'm loving these Nippons right now.

SIK Golf Flo-C

7 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

Never one to leave them wanting, I'm back this evening to answer your questions @bens197

When I was going through the online fitting, and I mentioned this in my post about the fitting process, I was scoping out the Nippon Shafts. The fact that Pat came back with one of those as an option or the LZ I was ecstatic to say the least. Now, was the fitting accurate on the shaft choice? Admittedly it's difficult to say considering I didn't get to swing the iron through every shaft, so I don't know if one would outperform what I have.

To answer the second question Steve, I'm beyond satisfied with my shaft choice. Am I sure they're the absolute best ones for me? I can't answer that question but I know that I don't care what the answer is, I'm loving these Nippons right now.

That’s great to hear. I was hoping to hear you were liking those Nippons.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

Its tough bc i an engineer by trade so I like data. I THINK or this SHOULD be a good fit work pretty well based off experience but I wanna see #'s. By NO means is this a knock on Ping or their fitters. But I would guess they would much rather give you a full fitting experience too in order to ensure their clubs were tuned in for your game.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

PING G710 Irons – Official MGS Forum Review by Mark Lacasse

IMG_4582.jpg.034c8061f9a52faa7fe0925fcea58da6.jpg 350828329_Final3.jpg.7712b9e5eb062116e93ca37c0e0d7cde.jpg 46392574_final2.jpg.fbf1471fffd531d8823575f6d404e41c.jpg

Me, Myself and I:

Hey everyone! First off thank you to MGS for this great opportunity to review these Irons! I enjoyed my 1st review!

For all of those interested my name is Mark Lacasse and I had the good fortune of being able to test these PING G710’s! I play in the North East where the golf season is beautiful…but short…I have been playing since I was very young but since 2014 after I got out of the military have been playing avidly (and in every sense of the word AVIDLY). Proud husband and father of 2 children (boy and girl) and at this time my son LOVES golf and hopefully my daughter will as well!

(The wife and I)

IMG_4610.JPG.80595d5ddbbad977f7b21234ce7392ab.JPG

I am a decent golfer (at least in my own mind) and have been able to tailor my game and use my competitive nature to drop my scoring over the past two years. I have gone from a 20 handicap to as of 2020 a 7.8 and really hope to drop below 6 this year as one of my short-term goals.

I have a high swing speed and am typically consistent with good contact on the face. My swing is a medium tempo as well as out to in which causes a slight fade, which I have learned to play with. With this my misses are typically BIG fades especially when I get “lazy”.

I would have to say my strength is my short game. I am comfortable with any iron in my hand and enjoy pin seeking. I do not roll much so am able to really target and go at the flag. On the other end my weakness is off the tee.

But enough about me let’s get into the nitty gritty of why you’re reading my essay, the PING black beauty’s.

Package Received:

Just for some background this review was done during the COVID-19 Pandemic (if you must google that you are not old enough to be playing golf). With those hurdles PING & MGS did a fantastic job at being flexible with these clubs. Normally would not have this in here as I went over it previously, but PING strictly based on how they handled everything was leaps and bounds ahead of any other OEM I have dealt with over the pandemic and for that down the road I will probably buy from PING over others if given a choice in equipment.

Grading

Don’t judge a book by its cover (8/10)

These clubs are BIG. The black finish minimizes that the best it can but there is no hiding how large and in charge they are. Overall it does not take away from the club or make you feel like you are swinging a paddle. I personally do not like black finish clubs, these though are a little different. The finish has a smoother look to me than all the other black finishes I have seen. The black paired with the slate grey face complement each other.

IMG_4475.jpg.ec32814691211d12ed48844c11cbe228.jpg Final.jpg.77b27c8eeb9137d3a093bc14d94d9081.jpg

The club numbers are little big for my liking, but I do like the engraved edge around the numbers but with that there is a downside (more on this in miscellaneous section). The back of the club is also well done and the placement of the G710 emblem is appeasing to the eye. At address the longer irons you can see a little bit of the sole on the back side but is not distracting.

1429853354_4ironcleanupafterround.jpg.8dd7b4aba0145b42bb93193d99af3562.jpg

Sound/Feel (10/10)

These clubs are probably the best sounding clubs I have ever hit. As soon as I hit them, I compared it to the “crack” of a well struck wooden bat and I am sticking to that thought. Every time I hit these the sound makes me smile still. I was weary at first just because of other PING clubs I have heard in the past but was beyond surprised with these and wish I could have this sound in all my clubs. PING used an epoxy behind the face on these and it worked.

The feel is also one of the best feeling clubs I have swung. The compression is second to none. When you pure a ball with these you know instantly. On the opposite end mishits do not hurt your hands but you still know when you hit a bad one. The face also provides great feedback on where you made contact without needing to use foot spray and other visual aids.

The selling points (16/20)

These clubs have a few nice characteristics to them that the OEM uses as big selling point’s, those being:

• Hydro pearl finish
  • Maraging steel face
  • Higher MOI (layman’s term forgiveness)

The hydro pearl finish is everything it is hyped up to be. Was great with moisture control in the grooves and wicked away/beaded up like wax on the club itself. I had at least one round a week during the review and the finish held up ok. The finish broke down with debris hitting especially range mats, backyard swings and sand traps. It made scrapes on the finish which it would normally do on other clubs anyway but with the black shows the club itself on the sole, the rest of the club held up extremely well. The 8-iron was my test dummy and go to club on the course, so this easily had over 300 swings on it compared to the 6 iron which maybe was 30-40 swings. The face held up really well. Next to the 6 iron (top) the 8 iron shows more wear on the face but is not too noticeable overall.

8357928_8Ironwear.jpg.2313359ca0d144a40907deb0b8c3b35f.jpg 932280274_8ironwear2.jpg.c4984afd413e9095ef22c3c3ecb0b677.jpg

The steel face claims to launch the ball higher and longer. I think the length came more from the lower lofts on the club than the actual face but the ball for sure launched higher with impressive ball flight. Downside I found on this face was that it was getting a lot of black marks on all the clubs. Not sure if it was the steel face or the black finish but all the clubs had the same thing happen (does wipe off with a wash/wet towel).

Lastly on this the forgiveness. These clubs gave me a lot of 2nd chances and are the most forgiving clubs I have ever hit. Did not keep the ball perfectly straight on a toe, BUT I was not offline by as much as I would expect on that same strike with another club.

Good shot of the ball flight here. Little windy so both did not travel normal distance, G710 was a little longer (Loft comparison is G710 1 Degree stronger)

(PING G710 1st, Taylormade P790 2nd)

980465622_8IronVS2.jpg.429c7867fb072f6de75eae52c0a1fd2d.jpg

Only thing that matters…On course performance (28/30)

These clubs PERFORM! I am an iron enthusiast and could play rounds with a few irons and a putter. Every aspect of these 4-UW played. I especially enjoyed the wedges and found myself utilizing them as much as my current Cleveland CBX2’s because the distance control is one of the best for a set wedge I have ever played. My scores were roughly the same round to round, but I was able to prevent myself from getting in bad situations and having to make miracles happen.

The clubs for a larger size also cut through the rough, not as well of a smaller club but just for their size I was impressed.

I can stop the ball well on greens with any iron, but the higher flight controlled the ball on the green as well as any other club for me. My average roll out with the 4 iron was 4-5’, all the way down to the wedges that typically stopped <1’. This may not be the case for everyone that doesn’t have the necessary spin, but the higher ball flight will assist you.

(Gap Wedge Divot spin back)

627348690_GWcapture.PNG.fd2a254d292cf844b5750e3896dc224a.PNG

The little things…(miscellaneous) (7/10)

I am one for a clean club. I wipe down after each shot, usually do a wet towel at the end of a round with a few baths throughout the year. I had a little bit of an OCD issue with the large sole numbers collecting dirt around the edging. That dirt does not come out with a cloth or club brush well. I needed to use a toothpick (I am sure there are other tools) to really clean it to my liking. It also came out with a good wash and my handy dandy toothbrush, but I am not washing these clubs down after every round. Minor issue so if you have a little OCD like me…it will bother you.

Play it or trade it (17/20)

This was a tough one for me. I am currently in a good place playing and like I said am a good ball striker. The forgiveness of these clubs and the added distance I do not need. The gapping messed with my bag a little and made both my hybrids obsolete. If I was a little older and needed the forgiveness and distance, I would keep them in the bag, but I think a player’s iron like my current gamers for me at this time is a better fit. Other than this, these clubs WOULD FOR SURE have a spot in my bag.

Wrap it up already!

If you jumped to the end…tisk tisk...but I will let it slide. Let’s put this review into a few simple paragraphs:

These clubs check all the boxes as to what they say they do, no gimmicks:

• Forgiving✅
  • Better finish✅
  • Longer distance✅

The club profile is very big, by itself the black finish does a good job concealing but no hiding it next to a smaller profile club.

No club will keep you out of the hazards if you’re aiming that way. It also will not keep you on the green if you skull the ball or make it go farther when you dig to China, but these clubs are AS forgiving as you can get, mishits did not put me in awful positions and allowed me to scramble back.

The finish lasts better than expected and from what I have read leaps and bounds ahead of the predecessor G700’s. Any club will wear down over time and this black will show especially on the sole, but PING is on the right track with this finish, on top of that it’s SLEEK as hell.

Distance? I attribute it more to the lofts, but the club face helps and with the added height I was surprised that they flew as long as they did. If you are looking for those attributes, I highly recommend these clubs (also make sure you’re good with standout wear marks).

Total Score (86/100)

image.jpeg

Nice review Mark! With the few swings I took I have to agree with a lot of what you said.  I could totally play the long irons from this set and maybe even the wedges if they had less offset. Even the black finish couldn’t hide that for me. Haha

I really liked your photos on this one and enjoyed your write up. Great first review!

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

IMG_4582.jpg.034c8061f9a52faa7fe0925fcea58da6.jpg 350828329_Final3.jpg.7712b9e5eb062116e93ca37c0e0d7cde.jpg 46392574_final2.jpg.fbf1471fffd531d8823575f6d404e41c.jpg

Me, Myself and I:

Hey everyone! First off thank you to MGS for this great opportunity to review these Irons! I enjoyed my 1st review!

For all of those interested my name is Mark Lacasse and I had the good fortune of being able to test these PING G710’s! I play in the North East where the golf season is beautiful…but short…I have been playing since I was very young but since 2014 after I got out of the military have been playing avidly (and in every sense of the word AVIDLY). Proud husband and father of 2 children (boy and girl) and at this time my son LOVES golf and hopefully my daughter will as well!

(The wife and I)

I am a decent golfer (at least in my own mind) and have been able to tailor my game and use my competitive nature to drop my scoring over the past two years. I have gone from a 20 handicap to as of 2020 a 7.8 and really hope to drop below 6 this year as one of my short-term goals.

I have a high swing speed and am typically consistent with good contact on the face. My swing is a medium tempo as well as out to in which causes a slight fade, which I have learned to play with. With this my misses are typically BIG fades especially when I get “lazy”.

I would have to say my strength is my short game. I am comfortable with any iron in my hand and enjoy pin seeking. I do not roll much so am able to really target and go at the flag. On the other end my weakness is off the tee.

But enough about me let’s get into the nitty gritty of why you’re reading my essay, the PING black beauty’s.

Package Received:

Just for some background this review was done during the COVID-19 Pandemic (if you must google that you are not old enough to be playing golf). With those hurdles PING & MGS did a fantastic job at being flexible with these clubs. Normally would not have this in here as I went over it previously, but PING strictly based on how they handled everything was leaps and bounds ahead of any other OEM I have dealt with over the pandemic and for that down the road I will probably buy from PING over others if given a choice in equipment.

Grading

These clubs are BIG. The black finish minimizes that the best it can but there is no hiding how large and in charge they are. Overall it does not take away from the club or make you feel like you are swinging a paddle. I personally do not like black finish clubs, these though are a little different. The finish has a smoother look to me than all the other black finishes I have seen. The black paired with the slate grey face complement each other.

IMG_4475.jpg.ec32814691211d12ed48844c11cbe228.jpg Final.jpg.77b27c8eeb9137d3a093bc14d94d9081.jpg

The club numbers are little big for my liking, but I do like the engraved edge around the numbers but with that there is a downside (more on this in miscellaneous section). The back of the club is also well done and the placement of the G710 emblem is appeasing to the eye. At address the longer irons you can see a little bit of the sole on the back side but is not distracting.

Sound/Feel (10/10)

These clubs are probably the best sounding clubs I have ever hit. As soon as I hit them, I compared it to the “crack” of a well struck wooden bat and I am sticking to that thought. Every time I hit these the sound makes me smile still. I was weary at first just because of other PING clubs I have heard in the past but was beyond surprised with these and wish I could have this sound in all my clubs. PING used an epoxy behind the face on these and it worked.

The feel is also one of the best feeling clubs I have swung. The compression is second to none. When you pure a ball with these you know instantly. On the opposite end mishits do not hurt your hands but you still know when you hit a bad one. The face also provides great feedback on where you made contact without needing to use foot spray and other visual aids.

These clubs have a few nice characteristics to them that the OEM uses as big selling point’s, those being:

• Hydro pearl finish
  • Maraging steel face

The hydro pearl finish is everything it is hyped up to be. Was great with moisture control in the grooves and wicked away/beaded up like wax on the club itself. I had at least one round a week during the review and the finish held up ok. The finish broke down with debris hitting especially range mats, backyard swings and sand traps. It made scrapes on the finish which it would normally do on other clubs anyway but with the black shows the club itself on the sole, the rest of the club held up extremely well. The 8-iron was my test dummy and go to club on the course, so this easily had over 300 swings on it compared to the 6 iron which maybe was 30-40 swings. The face held up really well. Next to the 6 iron (top) the 8 iron shows more wear on the face but is not too noticeable overall.

8357928_8Ironwear.jpg.2313359ca0d144a40907deb0b8c3b35f.jpg 932280274_8ironwear2.jpg.c4984afd413e9095ef22c3c3ecb0b677.jpg

The steel face claims to launch the ball higher and longer. I think the length came more from the lower lofts on the club than the actual face but the ball for sure launched higher with impressive ball flight. Downside I found on this face was that it was getting a lot of black marks on all the clubs. Not sure if it was the steel face or the black finish but all the clubs had the same thing happen (does wipe off with a wash/wet towel).

Lastly on this the forgiveness. These clubs gave me a lot of 2nd chances and are the most forgiving clubs I have ever hit. Did not keep the ball perfectly straight on a toe, BUT I was not offline by as much as I would expect on that same strike with another club.

Good shot of the ball flight here. Little windy so both did not travel normal distance, G710 was a little longer (Loft comparison is G710 1 Degree stronger)

These clubs PERFORM! I am an iron enthusiast and could play rounds with a few irons and a putter. Every aspect of these 4-UW played. I especially enjoyed the wedges and found myself utilizing them as much as my current Cleveland CBX2’s because the distance control is one of the best for a set wedge I have ever played. My scores were roughly the same round to round, but I was able to prevent myself from getting in bad situations and having to make miracles happen.

The clubs for a larger size also cut through the rough, not as well of a smaller club but just for their size I was impressed.

I can stop the ball well on greens with any iron, but the higher flight controlled the ball on the green as well as any other club for me. My average roll out with the 4 iron was 4-5’, all the way down to the wedges that typically stopped <1’. This may not be the case for everyone that doesn’t have the necessary spin, but the higher ball flight will assist you.

I am one for a clean club. I wipe down after each shot, usually do a wet towel at the end of a round with a few baths throughout the year. I had a little bit of an OCD issue with the large sole numbers collecting dirt around the edging. That dirt does not come out with a cloth or club brush well. I needed to use a toothpick (I am sure there are other tools) to really clean it to my liking. It also came out with a good wash and my handy dandy toothbrush, but I am not washing these clubs down after every round. Minor issue so if you have a little OCD like me…it will bother you.

This was a tough one for me. I am currently in a good place playing and like I said am a good ball striker. The forgiveness of these clubs and the added distance I do not need. The gapping messed with my bag a little and made both my hybrids obsolete. If I was a little older and needed the forgiveness and distance, I would keep them in the bag, but I think a player’s iron like my current gamers for me at this time is a better fit. Other than this, these clubs WOULD FOR SURE have a spot in my bag.

Wrap it up already!

If you jumped to the end…tisk tisk...but I will let it slide. Let’s put this review into a few simple paragraphs:

• Forgiving✅
  • Better finish✅
  • Longer distance✅

The club profile is very big, by itself the black finish does a good job concealing but no hiding it next to a smaller profile club.

No club will keep you out of the hazards if you’re aiming that way. It also will not keep you on the green if you skull the ball or make it go farther when you dig to China, but these clubs are AS forgiving as you can get, mishits did not put me in awful positions and allowed me to scramble back.

The finish lasts better than expected and from what I have read leaps and bounds ahead of the predecessor G700’s. Any club will wear down over time and this black will show especially on the sole, but PING is on the right track with this finish, on top of that it’s SLEEK as hell.

Distance? I attribute it more to the lofts, but the club face helps and with the added height I was surprised that they flew as long as they did. If you are looking for those attributes, I highly recommend these clubs (also make sure you’re good with standout wear marks).

Total Score (86/100)

image.jpeg

You nailed your first review! I'm not talking me trying to drive a nail and bending it 90 degrees or hitting my thumb. I'm talking pneumatic nail gun here. Your comment about googling Covid was hilarious! I thought it was interesting to see the finish test with the 8 iron, not too many people would abuse a beautiful iron like that. 

2 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

You nailed your first review! I'm not talking me trying to drive a nail and bending it 90 degrees or hitting my thumb. I'm talking pneumatic nail gun here. Your comment about googling Covid was hilarious! I thought it was interesting to see the finish test with the 8 iron, not too many people would abuse a beautiful iron like that. 

LOL thank you! I felt like I needed to give PING a shoutout here. This whole things as most of you know was just odd ESPECIALLY for golf and I have dealt with 3 other OEM's during this...PING was the standout and by a landslide so I felt like it was right.

That 8 iron was put through the ringer, trust me. It held up well. If you get in close on that picture its clear as day it was beat up but for this type of finish, fantastic and durable.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

1 minute ago, Lacassem said:

LOL thank you! I felt like I needed to give PING a shoutout here. This whole things as most of you know was just odd ESPECIALLY for golf and I have dealt with 3 other OEM's during this...PING was the standout and by a landslide so I felt like it was right.

That 8 iron was put through the ringer, trust me. It held up well. If you get in close on that picture its clear as day it was beat up but for this type of finish, fantastic and durable.

Customer service goes a long way and I'm glad to hear they were the best of OEM's you've been in contact with lately. Ping doesn't come across as flashy as some of the other brands and it just seems that they perform. With the pandemic, I think this has showcased their online fitting service. I hate you all couldn't go get fit in person, but it's good to know it works. 

14 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Me, Myself and I:

(The wife and I)

Package Received:

Grading

Sound/Feel (10/10)

• Hydro pearl finish
  • Maraging steel face

Wrap it up already!

• Forgiving✅
  • Better finish✅
  • Longer distance✅

Total Score (86/100)

image.jpeg

Excellent review sir!! I liked the honesty at the end, admitting that they just aren't the clubs for you yet and I loved the photos and videos.

Did strike any that were way too long or surprisingly short compared to your gamers?

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

36 minutes ago, Nunfa0 said:

Excellent review sir!! I liked the honesty at the end, admitting that they just aren't the clubs for you yet and I loved the photos and videos.

Did strike any that were way too long or surprisingly short compared to your gamers?

Thanks bud. I think it’s key that I think these clubs really can fit anyone just depends on what you’re looking for and it’s not what I need at this time.

nothing was surprisingly long. 4 iron was where I expected around 220 which is right where they were which is a tad longer than my current which sit around 210 consistently.

short came into play with wind. I launched these so high any type of wind just knocked them down. That 8 iron video was indication of that. Probabky 10-15 mph winds and I lost almost 40 yards on that shot. Compared to the other 8 I lost 20.

thanks for reading!

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

Great and thorough review Mark! Excellent writeup, along with the pics and videos. Well done all around.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

15 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Me, Myself and I:

(The wife and I)

Package Received:

Grading

Sound/Feel (10/10)

• Hydro pearl finish
  • Maraging steel face

Wrap it up already!

• Forgiving✅
  • Better finish✅
  • Longer distance✅

Total Score (86/100)

image.jpeg

Great review and write up! I enjoyed reading it. Glad you had a good chance to put them through their paces and to sort out whether they are right for you and I know the review will be helpful to see whether they want to buy them or not!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)