GolfSpy MPR

2020 Official Member Review: PING G710 Irons

Our Sponsors

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

PING G710 Irons – Official MGS Forum Review by Mark Lacasse

IMG_4582.jpg.034c8061f9a52faa7fe0925fcea58da6.jpg 350828329_Final3.jpg.7712b9e5eb062116e93ca37c0e0d7cde.jpg 46392574_final2.jpg.fbf1471fffd531d8823575f6d404e41c.jpg

Me, Myself and I:

Hey everyone! First off thank you to MGS for this great opportunity to review these Irons! I enjoyed my 1st review!

For all of those interested my name is Mark Lacasse and I had the good fortune of being able to test these PING G710’s! I play in the North East where the golf season is beautiful…but short…I have been playing since I was very young but since 2014 after I got out of the military have been playing avidly (and in every sense of the word AVIDLY). Proud husband and father of 2 children (boy and girl) and at this time my son LOVES golf and hopefully my daughter will as well!

(The wife and I)

IMG_4610.JPG.80595d5ddbbad977f7b21234ce7392ab.JPG

I am a decent golfer (at least in my own mind) and have been able to tailor my game and use my competitive nature to drop my scoring over the past two years. I have gone from a 20 handicap to as of 2020 a 7.8 and really hope to drop below 6 this year as one of my short-term goals.

I have a high swing speed and am typically consistent with good contact on the face. My swing is a medium tempo as well as out to in which causes a slight fade, which I have learned to play with. With this my misses are typically BIG fades especially when I get “lazy”.

I would have to say my strength is my short game. I am comfortable with any iron in my hand and enjoy pin seeking. I do not roll much so am able to really target and go at the flag. On the other end my weakness is off the tee.

But enough about me let’s get into the nitty gritty of why you’re reading my essay, the PING black beauty’s.

Package Received:

Just for some background this review was done during the COVID-19 Pandemic (if you must google that you are not old enough to be playing golf). With those hurdles PING & MGS did a fantastic job at being flexible with these clubs. Normally would not have this in here as I went over it previously, but PING strictly based on how they handled everything was leaps and bounds ahead of any other OEM I have dealt with over the pandemic and for that down the road I will probably buy from PING over others if given a choice in equipment.

Grading

Don’t judge a book by its cover (8/10)

These clubs are BIG. The black finish minimizes that the best it can but there is no hiding how large and in charge they are. Overall it does not take away from the club or make you feel like you are swinging a paddle. I personally do not like black finish clubs, these though are a little different. The finish has a smoother look to me than all the other black finishes I have seen. The black paired with the slate grey face complement each other.

IMG_4475.jpg.ec32814691211d12ed48844c11cbe228.jpg Final.jpg.77b27c8eeb9137d3a093bc14d94d9081.jpg

The club numbers are little big for my liking, but I do like the engraved edge around the numbers but with that there is a downside (more on this in miscellaneous section). The back of the club is also well done and the placement of the G710 emblem is appeasing to the eye. At address the longer irons you can see a little bit of the sole on the back side but is not distracting.

1429853354_4ironcleanupafterround.jpg.8dd7b4aba0145b42bb93193d99af3562.jpg

Sound/Feel (10/10)

These clubs are probably the best sounding clubs I have ever hit. As soon as I hit them, I compared it to the “crack” of a well struck wooden bat and I am sticking to that thought. Every time I hit these the sound makes me smile still. I was weary at first just because of other PING clubs I have heard in the past but was beyond surprised with these and wish I could have this sound in all my clubs. PING used an epoxy behind the face on these and it worked.

The feel is also one of the best feeling clubs I have swung. The compression is second to none. When you pure a ball with these you know instantly. On the opposite end mishits do not hurt your hands but you still know when you hit a bad one. The face also provides great feedback on where you made contact without needing to use foot spray and other visual aids.

The selling points (16/20)

These clubs have a few nice characteristics to them that the OEM uses as big selling point’s, those being:

• Hydro pearl finish
  • Maraging steel face
  • Higher MOI (layman’s term forgiveness)

The hydro pearl finish is everything it is hyped up to be. Was great with moisture control in the grooves and wicked away/beaded up like wax on the club itself. I had at least one round a week during the review and the finish held up ok. The finish broke down with debris hitting especially range mats, backyard swings and sand traps. It made scrapes on the finish which it would normally do on other clubs anyway but with the black shows the club itself on the sole, the rest of the club held up extremely well. The 8-iron was my test dummy and go to club on the course, so this easily had over 300 swings on it compared to the 6 iron which maybe was 30-40 swings. The face held up really well. Next to the 6 iron (top) the 8 iron shows more wear on the face but is not too noticeable overall.

8357928_8Ironwear.jpg.2313359ca0d144a40907deb0b8c3b35f.jpg 932280274_8ironwear2.jpg.c4984afd413e9095ef22c3c3ecb0b677.jpg

The steel face claims to launch the ball higher and longer. I think the length came more from the lower lofts on the club than the actual face but the ball for sure launched higher with impressive ball flight. Downside I found on this face was that it was getting a lot of black marks on all the clubs. Not sure if it was the steel face or the black finish but all the clubs had the same thing happen (does wipe off with a wash/wet towel).

Lastly on this the forgiveness. These clubs gave me a lot of 2nd chances and are the most forgiving clubs I have ever hit. Did not keep the ball perfectly straight on a toe, BUT I was not offline by as much as I would expect on that same strike with another club.

Good shot of the ball flight here. Little windy so both did not travel normal distance, G710 was a little longer (Loft comparison is G710 1 Degree stronger)

(PING G710 1st, Taylormade P790 2nd)

980465622_8IronVS2.jpg.429c7867fb072f6de75eae52c0a1fd2d.jpg

Only thing that matters…On course performance (28/30)

These clubs PERFORM! I am an iron enthusiast and could play rounds with a few irons and a putter. Every aspect of these 4-UW played. I especially enjoyed the wedges and found myself utilizing them as much as my current Cleveland CBX2’s because the distance control is one of the best for a set wedge I have ever played. My scores were roughly the same round to round, but I was able to prevent myself from getting in bad situations and having to make miracles happen.

The clubs for a larger size also cut through the rough, not as well of a smaller club but just for their size I was impressed.

I can stop the ball well on greens with any iron, but the higher flight controlled the ball on the green as well as any other club for me. My average roll out with the 4 iron was 4-5’, all the way down to the wedges that typically stopped <1’. This may not be the case for everyone that doesn’t have the necessary spin, but the higher ball flight will assist you.

(Gap Wedge Divot spin back)

627348690_GWcapture.PNG.fd2a254d292cf844b5750e3896dc224a.PNG

The little things…(miscellaneous) (7/10)

I am one for a clean club. I wipe down after each shot, usually do a wet towel at the end of a round with a few baths throughout the year. I had a little bit of an OCD issue with the large sole numbers collecting dirt around the edging. That dirt does not come out with a cloth or club brush well. I needed to use a toothpick (I am sure there are other tools) to really clean it to my liking. It also came out with a good wash and my handy dandy toothbrush, but I am not washing these clubs down after every round. Minor issue so if you have a little OCD like me…it will bother you.

Play it or trade it (17/20)

This was a tough one for me. I am currently in a good place playing and like I said am a good ball striker. The forgiveness of these clubs and the added distance I do not need. The gapping messed with my bag a little and made both my hybrids obsolete. If I was a little older and needed the forgiveness and distance, I would keep them in the bag, but I think a player’s iron like my current gamers for me at this time is a better fit. Other than this, these clubs WOULD FOR SURE have a spot in my bag.

Wrap it up already!

If you jumped to the end…tisk tisk...but I will let it slide. Let’s put this review into a few simple paragraphs:

These clubs check all the boxes as to what they say they do, no gimmicks:

• Forgiving✅
  • Better finish✅
  • Longer distance✅

The club profile is very big, by itself the black finish does a good job concealing but no hiding it next to a smaller profile club.

No club will keep you out of the hazards if you’re aiming that way. It also will not keep you on the green if you skull the ball or make it go farther when you dig to China, but these clubs are AS forgiving as you can get, mishits did not put me in awful positions and allowed me to scramble back.

The finish lasts better than expected and from what I have read leaps and bounds ahead of the predecessor G700’s. Any club will wear down over time and this black will show especially on the sole, but PING is on the right track with this finish, on top of that it’s SLEEK as hell.

Distance? I attribute it more to the lofts, but the club face helps and with the added height I was surprised that they flew as long as they did. If you are looking for those attributes, I highly recommend these clubs (also make sure you’re good with standout wear marks).

Total Score (86/100)

image.jpeg

Nice review Mark! With the few swings I took I have to agree with a lot of what you said.  I could totally play the long irons from this set and maybe even the wedges if they had less offset. Even the black finish couldn’t hide that for me. Haha

I really liked your photos on this one and enjoyed your write up. Great first review!

• Like 1

#MGSCOBRA2020 #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 is live!  Follow Along here!

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Tensei Pro White 6TX

:cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - PX LZ 6.5

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

:Arccos:

#cuetheduckboats

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

IMG_4582.jpg.034c8061f9a52faa7fe0925fcea58da6.jpg 350828329_Final3.jpg.7712b9e5eb062116e93ca37c0e0d7cde.jpg 46392574_final2.jpg.fbf1471fffd531d8823575f6d404e41c.jpg

Me, Myself and I:

Hey everyone! First off thank you to MGS for this great opportunity to review these Irons! I enjoyed my 1st review!

For all of those interested my name is Mark Lacasse and I had the good fortune of being able to test these PING G710’s! I play in the North East where the golf season is beautiful…but short…I have been playing since I was very young but since 2014 after I got out of the military have been playing avidly (and in every sense of the word AVIDLY). Proud husband and father of 2 children (boy and girl) and at this time my son LOVES golf and hopefully my daughter will as well!

(The wife and I)

I am a decent golfer (at least in my own mind) and have been able to tailor my game and use my competitive nature to drop my scoring over the past two years. I have gone from a 20 handicap to as of 2020 a 7.8 and really hope to drop below 6 this year as one of my short-term goals.

I have a high swing speed and am typically consistent with good contact on the face. My swing is a medium tempo as well as out to in which causes a slight fade, which I have learned to play with. With this my misses are typically BIG fades especially when I get “lazy”.

I would have to say my strength is my short game. I am comfortable with any iron in my hand and enjoy pin seeking. I do not roll much so am able to really target and go at the flag. On the other end my weakness is off the tee.

But enough about me let’s get into the nitty gritty of why you’re reading my essay, the PING black beauty’s.

Package Received:

Just for some background this review was done during the COVID-19 Pandemic (if you must google that you are not old enough to be playing golf). With those hurdles PING & MGS did a fantastic job at being flexible with these clubs. Normally would not have this in here as I went over it previously, but PING strictly based on how they handled everything was leaps and bounds ahead of any other OEM I have dealt with over the pandemic and for that down the road I will probably buy from PING over others if given a choice in equipment.

Grading

These clubs are BIG. The black finish minimizes that the best it can but there is no hiding how large and in charge they are. Overall it does not take away from the club or make you feel like you are swinging a paddle. I personally do not like black finish clubs, these though are a little different. The finish has a smoother look to me than all the other black finishes I have seen. The black paired with the slate grey face complement each other.

IMG_4475.jpg.ec32814691211d12ed48844c11cbe228.jpg Final.jpg.77b27c8eeb9137d3a093bc14d94d9081.jpg

The club numbers are little big for my liking, but I do like the engraved edge around the numbers but with that there is a downside (more on this in miscellaneous section). The back of the club is also well done and the placement of the G710 emblem is appeasing to the eye. At address the longer irons you can see a little bit of the sole on the back side but is not distracting.

Sound/Feel (10/10)

These clubs are probably the best sounding clubs I have ever hit. As soon as I hit them, I compared it to the “crack” of a well struck wooden bat and I am sticking to that thought. Every time I hit these the sound makes me smile still. I was weary at first just because of other PING clubs I have heard in the past but was beyond surprised with these and wish I could have this sound in all my clubs. PING used an epoxy behind the face on these and it worked.

The feel is also one of the best feeling clubs I have swung. The compression is second to none. When you pure a ball with these you know instantly. On the opposite end mishits do not hurt your hands but you still know when you hit a bad one. The face also provides great feedback on where you made contact without needing to use foot spray and other visual aids.

These clubs have a few nice characteristics to them that the OEM uses as big selling point’s, those being:

• Hydro pearl finish
  • Maraging steel face

The hydro pearl finish is everything it is hyped up to be. Was great with moisture control in the grooves and wicked away/beaded up like wax on the club itself. I had at least one round a week during the review and the finish held up ok. The finish broke down with debris hitting especially range mats, backyard swings and sand traps. It made scrapes on the finish which it would normally do on other clubs anyway but with the black shows the club itself on the sole, the rest of the club held up extremely well. The 8-iron was my test dummy and go to club on the course, so this easily had over 300 swings on it compared to the 6 iron which maybe was 30-40 swings. The face held up really well. Next to the 6 iron (top) the 8 iron shows more wear on the face but is not too noticeable overall.

8357928_8Ironwear.jpg.2313359ca0d144a40907deb0b8c3b35f.jpg 932280274_8ironwear2.jpg.c4984afd413e9095ef22c3c3ecb0b677.jpg

The steel face claims to launch the ball higher and longer. I think the length came more from the lower lofts on the club than the actual face but the ball for sure launched higher with impressive ball flight. Downside I found on this face was that it was getting a lot of black marks on all the clubs. Not sure if it was the steel face or the black finish but all the clubs had the same thing happen (does wipe off with a wash/wet towel).

Lastly on this the forgiveness. These clubs gave me a lot of 2nd chances and are the most forgiving clubs I have ever hit. Did not keep the ball perfectly straight on a toe, BUT I was not offline by as much as I would expect on that same strike with another club.

Good shot of the ball flight here. Little windy so both did not travel normal distance, G710 was a little longer (Loft comparison is G710 1 Degree stronger)

These clubs PERFORM! I am an iron enthusiast and could play rounds with a few irons and a putter. Every aspect of these 4-UW played. I especially enjoyed the wedges and found myself utilizing them as much as my current Cleveland CBX2’s because the distance control is one of the best for a set wedge I have ever played. My scores were roughly the same round to round, but I was able to prevent myself from getting in bad situations and having to make miracles happen.

The clubs for a larger size also cut through the rough, not as well of a smaller club but just for their size I was impressed.

I can stop the ball well on greens with any iron, but the higher flight controlled the ball on the green as well as any other club for me. My average roll out with the 4 iron was 4-5’, all the way down to the wedges that typically stopped <1’. This may not be the case for everyone that doesn’t have the necessary spin, but the higher ball flight will assist you.

I am one for a clean club. I wipe down after each shot, usually do a wet towel at the end of a round with a few baths throughout the year. I had a little bit of an OCD issue with the large sole numbers collecting dirt around the edging. That dirt does not come out with a cloth or club brush well. I needed to use a toothpick (I am sure there are other tools) to really clean it to my liking. It also came out with a good wash and my handy dandy toothbrush, but I am not washing these clubs down after every round. Minor issue so if you have a little OCD like me…it will bother you.

This was a tough one for me. I am currently in a good place playing and like I said am a good ball striker. The forgiveness of these clubs and the added distance I do not need. The gapping messed with my bag a little and made both my hybrids obsolete. If I was a little older and needed the forgiveness and distance, I would keep them in the bag, but I think a player’s iron like my current gamers for me at this time is a better fit. Other than this, these clubs WOULD FOR SURE have a spot in my bag.

Wrap it up already!

If you jumped to the end…tisk tisk...but I will let it slide. Let’s put this review into a few simple paragraphs:

• Forgiving✅
  • Better finish✅
  • Longer distance✅

The club profile is very big, by itself the black finish does a good job concealing but no hiding it next to a smaller profile club.

No club will keep you out of the hazards if you’re aiming that way. It also will not keep you on the green if you skull the ball or make it go farther when you dig to China, but these clubs are AS forgiving as you can get, mishits did not put me in awful positions and allowed me to scramble back.

The finish lasts better than expected and from what I have read leaps and bounds ahead of the predecessor G700’s. Any club will wear down over time and this black will show especially on the sole, but PING is on the right track with this finish, on top of that it’s SLEEK as hell.

Distance? I attribute it more to the lofts, but the club face helps and with the added height I was surprised that they flew as long as they did. If you are looking for those attributes, I highly recommend these clubs (also make sure you’re good with standout wear marks).

Total Score (86/100)

image.jpeg

You nailed your first review! I'm not talking me trying to drive a nail and bending it 90 degrees or hitting my thumb. I'm talking pneumatic nail gun here. Your comment about googling Covid was hilarious! I thought it was interesting to see the finish test with the 8 iron, not too many people would abuse a beautiful iron like that. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

You nailed your first review! I'm not talking me trying to drive a nail and bending it 90 degrees or hitting my thumb. I'm talking pneumatic nail gun here. Your comment about googling Covid was hilarious! I thought it was interesting to see the finish test with the 8 iron, not too many people would abuse a beautiful iron like that. 

LOL thank you! I felt like I needed to give PING a shoutout here. This whole things as most of you know was just odd ESPECIALLY for golf and I have dealt with 3 other OEM's during this...PING was the standout and by a landslide so I felt like it was right.

That 8 iron was put through the ringer, trust me. It held up well. If you get in close on that picture its clear as day it was beat up but for this type of finish, fantastic and durable.

• Like 4

Check out my review for the :ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60g 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W (15*) Project X HZRDUS Green 70g

:adams-small: 2H VST Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW Project X 6.5 LZ 

:cleveland-small: 50, 54, 58 CBX2  Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

1 minute ago, Lacassem said:

LOL thank you! I felt like I needed to give PING a shoutout here. This whole things as most of you know was just odd ESPECIALLY for golf and I have dealt with 3 other OEM's during this...PING was the standout and by a landslide so I felt like it was right.

That 8 iron was put through the ringer, trust me. It held up well. If you get in close on that picture its clear as day it was beat up but for this type of finish, fantastic and durable.

Customer service goes a long way and I'm glad to hear they were the best of OEM's you've been in contact with lately. Ping doesn't come across as flashy as some of the other brands and it just seems that they perform. With the pandemic, I think this has showcased their online fitting service. I hate you all couldn't go get fit in person, but it's good to know it works. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Me, Myself and I:

(The wife and I)

Package Received:

Grading

Sound/Feel (10/10)

• Hydro pearl finish
  • Maraging steel face

Wrap it up already!

• Forgiving✅
  • Better finish✅
  • Longer distance✅

Total Score (86/100)

image.jpeg

Excellent review sir!! I liked the honesty at the end, admitting that they just aren't the clubs for you yet and I loved the photos and videos.

Did strike any that were way too long or surprisingly short compared to your gamers?

• Like 3

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3 Hybrid - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 4-PW - True Temper XP95 Reg
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° -True Temper XP95 Reg
Putter:     :odyssey-small: - LH - Stroke Lab Seven
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 for the #cobraconnectchallenge3

36 minutes ago, Nunfa0 said:

Excellent review sir!! I liked the honesty at the end, admitting that they just aren't the clubs for you yet and I loved the photos and videos.

Did strike any that were way too long or surprisingly short compared to your gamers?

Thanks bud. I think it’s key that I think these clubs really can fit anyone just depends on what you’re looking for and it’s not what I need at this time.

nothing was surprisingly long. 4 iron was where I expected around 220 which is right where they were which is a tad longer than my current which sit around 210 consistently.

short came into play with wind. I launched these so high any type of wind just knocked them down. That 8 iron video was indication of that. Probabky 10-15 mph winds and I lost almost 40 yards on that shot. Compared to the other 8 I lost 20.

thanks for reading!

• Like 3

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

Great and thorough review Mark! Excellent writeup, along with the pics and videos. Well done all around.

• Like 2

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

15 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Me, Myself and I:

(The wife and I)

Package Received:

Grading

Sound/Feel (10/10)

• Hydro pearl finish
  • Maraging steel face

Wrap it up already!

• Forgiving✅
  • Better finish✅
  • Longer distance✅

Total Score (86/100)

image.jpeg

Great review and write up! I enjoyed reading it. Glad you had a good chance to put them through their paces and to sort out whether they are right for you and I know the review will be helpful to see whether they want to buy them or not!

• Like 3

⛳🛄 as of May 14, 2020

SWING SPEED- 100

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 360 (Caddie)

9 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Great and thorough review Mark! Excellent writeup, along with the pics and videos. Well done all around.

5 minutes ago, Apolloshowl said:

Great review and write up! I enjoyed reading it. Glad you had a good chance to put them through their paces and to sort out whether they are right for you and I know the review will be helpful to see whether they want to buy them or not!

Thank you glad you both enjoyed it!

• Like 2

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

Me, Myself and I:
(The wife and I)
Package Received:

Grading

Sound/Feel (10/10)
[/url] The selling points (16/20)
  • Hydro pearl finish
  • Maraging steel face
I can stop the ball well on greens with any iron, but the higher flight controlled the ball on the green as well as any other club for me. My average roll out with the 4 iron was 4-5’, all the way down to the wedges that typically stopped (Gap Wedge Divot spin back)
Wrap it up already!

Total Score (86/100)
image.jpeg.5c73c8039cfcee1d91a41eedd73c18f4.jpeg

Nice job
Happy the finish performed better than the early Pings.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Alright, second iron only round has been played at Hickory Hill Golf Club. I'll cut to the chase, it wasn't as good as Iron only round #1. However, if you didn't know from the Titleist thread, I have defeated @blackngold_blood with round 1, a net 74 to his best, a net 75.

The problem with attempting to play Hickory Hill wasn't in the putting, it was in the scrambling again. It's primarily a par 3 course, we're talking 4115 from the blues, par 62 but I figured since I had already won I was going to try to really stake a number that was going to be super low if I got it going, and I almost did. I shot a pretty meh disinterested  71 with 2 birdies, one on each side. Normalizing my 10.1 to this course gave me a course handicap of 3 due it's 57 rating and 86 slope. Then net score was +6, which normalized over a standard par 72 would have been a 78.

What went wrong? Well, strategy went wrong if I'm honest. I shouldn't have played a near par 3 course to try and go lower than I had before. While the course did have short par 4's, the issue was in the pay I attempted to play them. If you recall from my first iron only round I had an issue scrambling without more lofted wedges so what do I do? Go to a course that is going to make me have to scramble with those lower lofted wedges and I worked on that skill at the range, hitting little 40-60 yard pitches in prep of this round. Well, sometime you can't take from the range what you want. The scrambling was awful all round, I couldn't get shots to stop with any regularity, partially due to the greens and fairways being cooked a bit due to lack of rain in this area. Ironically, the only birdies I made were on what you would call regular length holes at 320 and 300 yards where I had close to full swing wedge distance in and was able to hit it close. Admittedly I did try to lay it back a bit with hitting short irons of tees to get fuller yardages, but that wasn't working from a strokes gained perspective.

The other thing about this is that I shouldn't have picked a course with so many par 3's. But Berg, I hear you say, it's iron only surely that's not bad. Well, when you're not having the best day accuracy wise and you don't have a specialty wedge to assist you're typical strategy of around the green play, it can be rough. Also, maybe pick a par 3 course where the majority aren't long iron par 3's (3x at 185, 190, and 200) so that way you get a better shot with stopping power. Sure, pars were made when I hit the greens, but some of that was due to good lag putting and not the performance of the iron, and definitely not the performance of the player. 

So, with roughly 10 days left until this review is due I think I'm hoping to get at least one more round, hopefully two including one at my home course if people ever let me know about the times for Skins games on Saturday morning. I have a bar to clear and really have my work cut out for me without my usual photographer in tow due to Covid-19, but we'll soldier on for you, the reader.

• Like 3

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:cobra-small: F9 Speedback, 18.5, Hzrdus Yellow 70-S

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

:nickent-small: Pipe

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2019)

:CaddyTek: Caddylite 15.3 V1

Go Orange!

FINAL REVIEW POSTED!!

• Like 2

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :taylormade-small:  M4 with 60g Atmos red stiff shaft
  • 4-pw irons: :ping-small:  G710 with stiff KBS shafts (MGS Tester '20)
  • Wedges: 52, 56, 60 :titelist-small: SM5 & SM6
  • Putter: 34" :odyssey-small: 2-ball original with superstroke grip
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder (MGS Tester '19)
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

I'm going to the Dark side as I just ordered a set of PING G710's 4 thru PW red dot  with SteelFiber Aerotech shafts which is due to be here the 1st week of August. When I 1st started out golfing it was PING's that got me interested in the game as this is about my 10 set of PING's I've owned in over 30 years. I'm so excited as this is my retirement set as I could have went with any other brand but I just couldn't resist the new G710's as they seem to have everything I'm looking for when it comes to Forgiveness, distance, looks. So happy to be back in the family again as I've also tried so many other brands. I'm leaving :taylormade-small:P790's which were extremely nice but my heart has always been with :ping-small:  as I sorta feel like the prodigal son, 

• Like 5

I'm going to the Dark side as I just ordered a set of PING G710's 4 thru PW red dot  with SteelFiber Aerotech shafts which is due to be here the 1st week of August. When I 1st started out golfing it was PING's that got me interested in the game as this is about my 10 set of PING's I've owned in over 30 years. I'm so excited as this is my retirement set as I could have went with any other brand but I just couldn't resist the new G710's as they seem to have everything I'm looking for when it comes to Forgiveness, distance, looks. So happy to be back in the family again as I've also tried so many other brands. I'm leaving :taylormade-small:P790's which were extremely nice but my heart has always been with :ping-small:  as I sorta feel like the prodigal son, 

Well done. Looking forward to your take on them.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

23 hours ago, PingDaddy said:

It is all there. Very forgiving and the feel is top notch. If you're game is a little shorter than it used to be these should really boost you back up a little. Good luck!

• Like 1

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

23 hours ago, PingDaddy said:

did this thread have influence on your decision?  Welcome to the forums! 

• Like 1

#MGSCOBRA2020 #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 is live!  Follow Along here!

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Tensei Pro White 6TX

:cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - PX LZ 6.5

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

:Arccos:

#cuetheduckboats

On 7/12/2020 at 10:27 AM, JonMUSC08 said:

FINAL REVIEW POSTED!!

Great review ( as all have been that I've seen here so far) - could you expand on what you think about the wear factor on these irons that you experienced? I'm curious as to each of the reviewer's observations on this and I couldn't tell exactly how big of an issue you thought that was. (I see where Lacassem's picture of 8 iron looked pretty rough compared to the 6 iron but it seems like he really specifically tried to put it thru some hard "test miles") I've think I've narrowed it down to the G410 vs G710 as my first new set of irons (been using a buddies old set of Titliest DCI Oversize irons as starters when I started learning to play this past year) and that may be the deciding factor. Thanks again for your review as well as all the other thorough reviews on both the G410 and G710's on this site as they are definitely giving me good insight and direction.

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Speed XR 10.5

Fairway - 3 Wood - Callaway Speed XR

Hybrids - 3H/5H - Callaway Steelhead

Irons - 4-PW - Titliest DCI Oversize (loaners)

Sand Wedge - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth - 54'

Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab

17 hours ago, BryanK said:

Great review ( as all have been that I've seen here so far) - could you expand on what you think about the wear factor on these irons that you experienced? I'm curious as to each of the reviewer's observations on this and I couldn't tell exactly how big of an issue you thought that was. (I see where Lacassem's picture of 8 iron looked pretty rough compared to the 6 iron but it seems like he really specifically tried to put it thru some hard "test miles") I've think I've narrowed it down to the G410 vs G710 as my first new set of irons (been using a buddies old set of Titliest DCI Oversize irons as starters when I started learning to play this past year) and that may be the deciding factor. Thanks again for your review as well as all the other thorough reviews on both the G410 and G710's on this site as they are definitely giving me good insight and direction.

Appreciate it

@Lacassem did a great job trying to wear down an 8-iron. I played as I normally do to see what 'normal wear and tear' would look like.

So my opinion on G410 & G710 are that the G410 are Game Improvement irons (10-15 hdcp) as the G710s are more Super Game Improvement (15-20+ hdcp). If you struggle to get the ball airborne more times than not then the G710s will definitely help. The G410's will all you to work the ball (shape shots) easier. G710's more foregiving.

Here are pics of all my irons after 4 rounds and a few times on the range. The SW was used more than any other clubs; 41 shots in rounds and then 50+ balls on the range. I think the light in my garage is accentuating the wear; i honestly am very impressed how little wear there is. Scratches will be on any club regardless of finish. In person, the scratches are not nearly as noticeable than in the pics.

IMG_6218.jpg.01f7e646bef636a6a44f3c9b5c4012a4.jpgIMG_6219.jpg.29722cb10e23c66766f11cd437185b91.jpg

• Like 4

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :taylormade-small:  M4 with 60g Atmos red stiff shaft
  • 4-pw irons: :ping-small:  G710 with stiff KBS shafts (MGS Tester '20)
  • Wedges: 52, 56, 60 :titelist-small: SM5 & SM6
  • Putter: 34" :odyssey-small: 2-ball original with superstroke grip
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder (MGS Tester '19)
  • Tracked By: :Arccos: