2020 Official Member Review: PING G710 Irons

Our Sponsors

18 hours ago, BryanK said:

Great review ( as all have been that I've seen here so far) - could you expand on what you think about the wear factor on these irons that you experienced? I'm curious as to each of the reviewer's observations on this and I couldn't tell exactly how big of an issue you thought that was. (I see where Lacassem's picture of 8 iron looked pretty rough compared to the 6 iron but it seems like he really specifically tried to put it thru some hard "test miles") I've think I've narrowed it down to the G410 vs G710 as my first new set of irons (been using a buddies old set of Titliest DCI Oversize irons as starters when I started learning to play this past year) and that may be the deciding factor. Thanks again for your review as well as all the other thorough reviews on both the G410 and G710's on this site as they are definitely giving me good insight and direction.

42 minutes ago, JonMUSC08 said:

Appreciate it

@Lacassem did a great job trying to wear down an 8-iron. I played as I normally do to see what 'normal wear and tear' would look like.

So my opinion on G410 & G710 are that the G410 are Game Improvement irons (10-15 hdcp) as the G710s are more Super Game Improvement (15-20+ hdcp). If you struggle to get the ball airborne more times than not then the G710s will definitely help. The G410's will all you to work the ball (shape shots) easier. G710's more foregiving.

Here are pics of all my irons after 4 rounds and a few times on the range. The SW was used more than any other clubs; 41 shots in rounds and then 50+ balls on the range. I think the light in my garage is accentuating the wear; i honestly am very impressed how little wear there is. Scratches will be on any club regardless of finish. In person, the scratches are not nearly as noticeable than in the pics.

IMG_6218.jpg.01f7e646bef636a6a44f3c9b5c4012a4.jpgIMG_6219.jpg.29722cb10e23c66766f11cd437185b91.jpg

Yes so one of my main focuses was to put atleast 1 of the irons through a vigorous test to really see how these things held up. Like i said in my review I had atleast 300 swings between just my normal practice swings day to day  to actual round swings on the 8 iron. It help up better than I was expecting and as long as you are ok with clear wearing than it will not bother you.

As to the club themselves to piggy back off @JonMUSC08 if you struggle to get the ball launched in the air these are for you. I had towering shots with these and if I had any roll out I don't remember it. Also if you are looking for some extra distance these will definitely assist in that department, on average I was 10 yards longer per club than my current gamers (granted the lofts are stronger but either way the distance is there).

My father is actually using them at this current time, My thought was that he is about a 20 handicap and these clubs are really designed for him. If you are looking for anything specific I can review with him. My intention is to have him get some rounds in (he is retired this year and is getting the most golf he has ever played in a summer before in) and pick his brain on how he felt hitting and he is tracking with 18 birdies his rounds to see if there is big improvements and post another smaller review on this thread with his thoughts as well.

• Like 3

Follow my overall Vegan transition here

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke VS Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Official Review Thread: PING G710 Irons It's a special joy for me to announce the reviewers of the PING G710 irons. PING iron tests are always among our most-applied-for, (dare I say) most

Hey all, here are my initial impression on these clubs hope you enjoy! Pre-Arrival/Arrival: After my virtual fitting with PING, the communication was honestly top notch. Bill, who is a Head-

Well well well, after a day of listening to our PM say he is closing every bar, restaurant, cinema, gym, leisure centre etc etc and will review it on a monthly basis, it sparked off hours of talk abou

Posted Images

Thanks for that clarification. I really do like the look of those irons new and hoped they would hold up well. Currently I am in that higher hdcp group(20+) as a beginner but expect that will be something I can bring down with work in other areas beside iron play that I am working on as well (3 and 4 putts or more are not helping!). I seem to be getting much better at getting the ball up more regularly and targeting is improving with irons. I really liked the G710 at a demo day before the shut down in the spring(was prior to recent gains I've made at the driving range) Went to fitter last week to try both heads but they only had the G410 available (the other out on loaner), and I seemed to hit that one well too, so I guess I need to make an appt to hit both on the same day. Not sure how much I should expect to be a "shot shaper" starting at this age (55y) - I feel like straight and fairly accurate is more reasonable (hopefully)! Thanks again for the help

Edited by BryanK
  • Like 3

Driver - Callaway Speed XR 10.5

Fairway - 3 Wood - Callaway Speed XR

Hybrids - 3H/5H - Callaway Steelhead

Irons - 4-PW - Titliest DCI Oversize (loaners)

Sand Wedge - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth - 54'

Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab

Thanks to both of y'all for the feed back. I'm starting to feel better about the G710.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, BryanK said:

Thanks for that clarification. I really do like the look of those irons new and hoped they would hold up well. Currently I am in that higher hdcp group(20+) as a beginner but expect that will be something I can bring down with work in other areas beside iron play that I am working on as well (3 and 4 putts or more are not helping!). I seem to be getting much better at getting the ball up more regularly and targeting is improving with irons. I really liked the G710 at a demo day before the shut down in the spring(was prior to recent gains I've made at the driving range) Went to fitter last week to try both heads but they only had the G410 available (the other out on loaner), and I seemed to hit that one well too, so I guess I need to make an appt to hit both on the same day. Not sure how much I should expect to be a "shot shaper" starting at this age (55y) - I feel like straight and fairly accurate is more reasonable (hopefully)! Thanks again for the help

If you dont mind me asking what shaft did they put you in at the fitting? Seems like the G710 may be right up your alley.

Check out my reviews

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

Thanks to both of y'all for the feed back. I'm starting to feel better about the G710.

In my opinion there’s no bad choice between G410 or G710.
The black heads sure are nice looking.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I have to say I expected more from the fitting, I'm not even sure what shaft they used, I know it was a graphite and regular flex. Seemed like he just grabbed what ever was available to put on the head. Grabbed a senior flex when I asked about whether that would be something I should consider. Showed I hit it a little farther but I really didn't like the "whippy" feel of it and he said he thought my swing would continue to improve and would probably be regular flex when I did get new clubs. He was nice enough but basically said my current clubs "weren't holding me back" and I should keep playing with what I have since it seemed like " I had a lot of good things going on with my swing" and give it 3-6 more months! I appreciate not being hard sold new clubs but I went in being open to getting new clubs that day and left feeling underwhelmed. Seems like its been hard to get any serious help since I let them know that I am new to the game when I go in. My local club is nice but feels like they have to blow the dust off the fitting kits when I've gone there and they don't really take me seriously, then winds up being more of a lesson than a fitting when it is all said and done (but I'm always open to being taught), and my local Dick's has a fitter only once a week from 11-330p which is an issue for me to take time off on that day he is available. The above fitter was an hour drive, so I guess my next step is go further but certainly not as easy to schedule and hate to do all that and get the same  meh experience. I agree I probably won't go wrong with either but would just like a true head to head evaluation to feel more confident about it. Oh well, I've still got plenty to work on until then and I guess it'll finally happen when it's supposed to. 

• Like 2

I have to say I expected more from the fitting, I'm not even sure what shaft they used, I know it was a graphite and regular flex. Seemed like he just grabbed what ever was available to put on the head. Grabbed a senior flex when I asked about whether that would be something I should consider. Showed I hit it a little farther but I really didn't like the "whippy" feel of it and he said he thought my swing would continue to improve and would probably be regular flex when I did get new clubs. He was nice enough but basically said my current clubs "weren't holding me back" and I should keep playing with what I have since it seemed like " I had a lot of good things going on with my swing" and give it 3-6 more months! I appreciate not being hard sold new clubs but I went in being open to getting new clubs that day and left feeling underwhelmed. Seems like its been hard to get any serious help since I let them know that I am new to the game when I go in. My local club is nice but feels like they have to blow the dust off the fitting kits when I've gone there and they don't really take me seriously, then winds up being more of a lesson than a fitting when it is all said and done (but I'm always open to being taught), and my local Dick's has a fitter only once a week from 11-330p which is an issue for me to take time off on that day he is available. The above fitter was an hour drive, so I guess my next step is go further but certainly not as easy to schedule and hate to do all that and get the same  meh experience. I agree I probably won't go wrong with either but would just like a true head to head evaluation to feel more confident about it. Oh well, I've still got plenty to work on until then and I guess it'll finally happen when it's supposed to. 

I do understand what you’re describing in the fitting. Every time I try clubs it’s a struggle choosing the correct shaft.

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

On 7/14/2020 at 11:25 AM, B.Boston said:

did this thread have influence on your decision?  Welcome to the forums! 

I have had my eye on these when they 1st came out as it wasn't easy to give up on my P790's. I started golfing with PING's and I just want to end with PING's as they have always been pretty good to me. Of course I do get fitted for every set I've own but my last set of PING's were the s55's, regretted selling them

• Like 4

Ok, it looks like I'm going to be playing a round on Saturday and maybe taking time for pictures and media on Sunday, so I'm hopeful that the final review is gonna meet deadline writing the review after Satruday and attached photos and such on Sunday for the final post. I think you'll be surprised at the final results for me.

• Like 4

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:cobra-small: F9 Speedback, 18.5, Hzrdus Yellow 70-S

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

:nickent-small: Pipe

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2019)

Well, after a lost review this afternoon, my review is live, and I'll be bumping the thread again in the morning. Check it here!

• Like 4

On 3/20/2020 at 5:27 PM, Berg Ryman said:

G710 Review: Berg Ryman Edition

LADIES AND GENTS...THIS IS THE MOMENT YOU'VE WAITED FOR

giphy.gif

That's right everyone, it's your guy Berg Ryman back with his final review of the Ping G710 iron set. Before we begin I'd like to take this time in the intro to that the MGS Staff, my fellow testers @perseveringgolfer, @Lacassem, @JonMUSC08, and let's not forget the man who gave up this opportunity due to COVID concerns @McaseyM, for their help in this tread and this summer in putting these proper irons through the paces. GIve reads to the other reviews as they have alot of exciting video and opinions that may or may not match my own and may better inform you and hopefully give you a round about idea of how these irons may perform for you. Lastly, a huge shout out to my girlfriend Monica. We able to get out yesterday after my morning 18 for another 9 for some photos to pepper the review with. She is the best. 

6CZ7Uwom.jpg

THIS IS ME...

CJDi5zEm.jpg

As always, my girlfriend catches my best side

I'm currently playing of a 10.1, but have been as low as a 3 in high school and as high as a 18 when I was working my way back. Based in Central New York, my golf season isn't the longest in the world due to harsh winters, but I try to optimize my time by playing my game into shape, although I have gotten in range sessions when needed or just to beat some frustration in life out. The last set of irons before this test I had was the Cobra F7 One Length. I did a self fit for them, having worked in the golf section at Dick's for nearly 3 years. I average around 78 MPH for 7 iron, hitting it on average carry of 155-ish. If I step on it I can carry it to 165. Iron play is a strength of my game, but I've always had issues with ball flight. I'm a low ball hitter. I've been complemented of my stinger like ball flights with 9 iron and Pitching Wedge in the past. I'm hoping this is an iron that helps me launch the ball higher for my irons.

DREAMING WITH OUR EYES WIDE OPEN

q9M9GwZm.jpg

Dreams don’t die… until you’re off the first tee.

Before we begin here, a quick aside. I hate the current way golf clubs are labelled. I understand it’s easy to group similar clubs together based on perceived characteristics, it’s easy jargon to strat the non-informed golfer on the way toward finding a iron that may work for them, but I hate it. So let’s just agree to call these a Super Game Improvement Iron and move past it.

So, let’s talk about what PING is claiming with the G710. Layman terms, you’re looking at irons that fly higher and farther, partially because of lofts, partially because of tech. They should be more forgiving on off-center strikes due to that perimeter weighting improvement and should play better in wet conditions.

The real question, is it all advertising speak? Honestly, it’s tough to say. It’s pretty easy to become disillusioned to these things when you hear it every year, but I see PING as a different case. They always test well in Most Wanted, they don’t rush their product cycles, and they always find their way into the bags of many amateurs. This is my first experience with PING in my bag, so I’m coming into this with the most open of eyes.

WE’RE FREE TO FLY (GRADING)

Km8aqOjm.jpg

Sometimes, you fly and look like a Flamingo

Looks (10 out of 10)

I’m not going to pull any punches here. The black color is sexy. It sits well on the shelf for proper shelf appeal and it just looks cool. The badging is minimal which is really nice and while some may consider these irons large, the black does slim. After all, why do you think my chubby self wore black on a 90+ degree day to take some pictures?

bHUgtQEm.jpg

A craftsman always looks at his tools, and then blames them sometime

Now, I know you’ve seen @Lacassem post on wear. That’s a really extreme example. I’ve seen minor scratching on the sole of the club, like from tees and range areas that aren’t the best grass.  It’s nothing past what I would consider normal wear and tear. Plus, you’re not looking at the sole of the club at address.

Also, I’d give it an 11 if I could because of that line-up line. So simple, so easy.

0PEKZy4m.jpg

Plus, they look sexy in the bag

Sound and Feel (8 out of 10)

Ok, total honesty from me here, I never feel how to rate this category correctly. With certain clubs it’s easier, like my Stroke Lab review from last year, because feel is so important to a putter, but in an iron… I don’t really ever feel a difference if I’m honest among clubs in similar styles. Therefore, it feels like a PING iron. You already probably know how you feel about that. The different thing is the sound. I recommend you check out the video by @JonMUSC08 as I feel like it captures what the sound is. It might not be everyone’s taste, but I personally don’t mind it. The crack gives me the feel of power and is different than a thud. So an 8 seems, right.. i guess?

Also for feel, the Modus shaft is legit. Very happy with it and would recommend it to anyone looking for an easier stable shaft to swing.

ata2fBnm.jpg

Sometimes I feel like this on the course, sometimes in when I'm writing the review

Playing Characteristics (17 out of 20)

Let’s get it out of the way upfront. The lofts on these are not traditional, but they aren’t extreme in my opinion. PING finds a way to strike that balance in a world where people are seemingly going mad. Admittedly, the lofts on these clubs weren’t all that difference than my old Cobra’s maybe only differing my around half a degree. As such, I was slightly longer from 7 iron on down, but it wasn’t by much. We’re talking carrying 7 iron 157 instead of 155. The real difference was from 6 iron on up.

pWW1Qcdm.jpg

Sending the 4 iron of destiny

The 4 iron is now my favorite club in the bag

You read that bold sentence correct. Me, the hybrid guy, the near 7 wood guy, is now a 4 iron guy. That thing was a weapon for me off the tee against @Blackngold_Blood. I can punch shots out under trees and keep it low, I can hit it high if necessary to uphill greens. I love the G710 4 iron, it is my personal swiss army knife. 200 yards and easy money. I’m around 10 yards longer with 4 and 5 iron, and roughly 6-8 yards longer with 6. Part of it is the shaft length coming from One Length, but part of it is forgiveness.

The other thing that is a big plus for these irons is the launch. I wanted to increase the height of my iron shots and it’s happened. Whether it’s the sole or the weighting I don’t know exactly, but these things launch and I love it. Plus, although the soles are wide, they are easy to flight where I need to. The accuracy on these things is near point and shoot. If you’re aimed in the right spot, it’s easy.

Why the knocks? Well, they aren’t workable when I need to, which is not that often, but it’s hard to move them in a meaningful way, but straight works. The other knock, although I’m longer in the long irons, I was hoping for a bit more distance in the short irons.

5rIBAfPm.jpg

Sometimes you need to ask your ball to move, even with easy to hit irons

On Course Performance (25 out of 30)

2 iron only rounds, 6 other rounds, including a tournament qualifier, but no career best from these irons. I wish I had a success story like @JonMUSC08from this season, but I have to be honest, I haven’t. My game has been a bit up and down this summer. A 91 in the my tournament qualifier, and a lot of rounds in the low to mid 80’s. In a perfect season I’d be in the high 70’s, But I have to admit, the issue right now is not my irons. It’s the driver and my fairway woods. I’ve having trouble finding the center of the club face. Luckily my PINGs are doing the heavy lifting. They make me confident in taking on any shot I come across with any of the clubs and makes me feel like any green is on notice.

I’m hopeful as we continue through the season I’ll be able to post some great scores and stories in this thread for you, but for now, it’s just a bit off.

Ka8YvEim.jpg

A feeling of being lost, too common on the golf course

Miscellaneous (8 out of 10)

So, big props to PING for their online fitting and their access to information that they gave us. Top marks and by far gives me a better understanding of why they have such a loyal following in the industry and among amateurs.

But there is an issue, and while I know it’s not an Arccos review, I feel lit would be incomplete if I didn’t discuss Arccos as PING including Smart Grips as an option was a selling point. The Arccos app on Android is a bit finicky for catching stats, which is why I don’t have much in the way of screenshots to share here. I have to spend a bit more time editing the round as I go. It’s not a huge issue, but something I wanted to mention.

Play It or Trade It (20 out of 20)

I was hoping to get a new set of irons this year and was lucky enough to be chosen for this testing opportunity. After the past two months, while I think those were potentially really good irons from other companies, I am ecstatic with the PING G710. They tick every box for me to be in the bag into 2021 and beyond and it’s going to be tough for them to be knocked out. I don’t want to say I’m forever a PING iron man, but they are now at the top of list for testing and fitting in the future.

IT’LL NEVER BE ENOUGH

Greatestshowman Never Enough GIF - Greatestshowman NeverEnough Never GIFs

So, if you didn’t enjoy the previous 1500 plus words, or if you’re just impatient, here’s the brass tacks. These irons are great and I would recommend them to any player, regardless of handicap. If you like long and straight and high, which works for a lot of us, you owe it to yourself to test the PING G710. The may not be the longest or the most workable, but you get a quality iron from a quality company.

Also, keep eyes on this space for updates throughout the summer, and check out my new WITB.

OVERALL: 88 out of 100

iW3DdFGm.jpg

The Pleasure Was Mine

Very nice berg. Love your photos with some quoting had me laughing.

yes definitely went extreme on my end but I think that’s a good big picture of what to expect when you’re ready to trade these things in.

really hope your driver and CO. Start behaving so you can showcase these irons from your score!

• Like 1

Check out my reviews

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

giphy.gif

That's right everyone, it's your guy Berg Ryman back with his final review of the Ping G710 iron set. Before we begin I'd like to take this time in the intro to that the MGS Staff, my fellow testers @perseveringgolfer, @Lacassem, @JonMUSC08, and let's not forget the man who gave up this opportunity due to COVID concerns @McaseyM, for their help in this tread and this summer in putting these proper irons through the paces. GIve reads to the other reviews as they have alot of exciting video and opinions that may or may not match my own and may better inform you and hopefully give you a round about idea of how these irons may perform for you. Lastly, a huge shout out to my girlfriend Monica. We able to get out yesterday after my morning 18 for another 9 for some photos to pepper the review with. She is the best. 

6CZ7Uwom.jpg

THIS IS ME...

CJDi5zEm.jpg

I'm currently playing of a 10.1, but have been as low as a 3 in high school and as high as a 18 when I was working my way back. Based in Central New York, my golf season isn't the longest in the world due to harsh winters, but I try to optimize my time by playing my game into shape, although I have gotten in range sessions when needed or just to beat some frustration in life out. The last set of irons before this test I had was the Cobra F7 One Length. I did a self fit for them, having worked in the golf section at Dick's for nearly 3 years. I average around 78 MPH for 7 iron, hitting it on average carry of 155-ish. If I step on it I can carry it to 165. Iron play is a strength of my game, but I've always had issues with ball flight. I'm a low ball hitter. I've been complemented of my stinger like ball flights with 9 iron and Pitching Wedge in the past. I'm hoping this is an iron that helps me launch the ball higher for my irons.

q9M9GwZm.jpg

Before we begin here, a quick aside. I hate the current way golf clubs are labelled. I understand it’s easy to group similar clubs together based on perceived characteristics, it’s easy jargon to strat the non-informed golfer on the way toward finding a iron that may work for them, but I hate it. So let’s just agree to call these a Super Game Improvement Iron and move past it.

So, let’s talk about what PING is claiming with the G710. Layman terms, you’re looking at irons that fly higher and farther, partially because of lofts, partially because of tech. They should be more forgiving on off-center strikes due to that perimeter weighting improvement and should play better in wet conditions.

The real question, is it all advertising speak? Honestly, it’s tough to say. It’s pretty easy to become disillusioned to these things when you hear it every year, but I see PING as a different case. They always test well in Most Wanted, they don’t rush their product cycles, and they always find their way into the bags of many amateurs. This is my first experience with PING in my bag, so I’m coming into this with the most open of eyes.

Km8aqOjm.jpg

Looks (10 out of 10)

I’m not going to pull any punches here. The black color is sexy. It sits well on the shelf for proper shelf appeal and it just looks cool. The badging is minimal which is really nice and while some may consider these irons large, the black does slim. After all, why do you think my chubby self wore black on a 90+ degree day to take some pictures?

bHUgtQEm.jpg

Now, I know you’ve seen @Lacassem post on wear. That’s a really extreme example. I’ve seen minor scratching on the sole of the club, like from tees and range areas that aren’t the best grass.  It’s nothing past what I would consider normal wear and tear. Plus, you’re not looking at the sole of the club at address.

Also, I’d give it an 11 if I could because of that line-up line. So simple, so easy.

0PEKZy4m.jpg

Ok, total honesty from me here, I never feel how to rate this category correctly. With certain clubs it’s easier, like my Stroke Lab review from last year, because feel is so important to a putter, but in an iron… I don’t really ever feel a difference if I’m honest among clubs in similar styles. Therefore, it feels like a PING iron. You already probably know how you feel about that. The different thing is the sound. I recommend you check out the video by @JonMUSC08 as I feel like it captures what the sound is. It might not be everyone’s taste, but I personally don’t mind it. The crack gives me the feel of power and is different than a thud. So an 8 seems, right.. i guess?

Also for feel, the Modus shaft is legit. Very happy with it and would recommend it to anyone looking for an easier stable shaft to swing.

ata2fBnm.jpg

Sometimes I feel like this on the course, sometimes in when I'm writing the review

Let’s get it out of the way upfront. The lofts on these are not traditional, but they aren’t extreme in my opinion. PING finds a way to strike that balance in a world where people are seemingly going mad. Admittedly, the lofts on these clubs weren’t all that difference than my old Cobra’s maybe only differing my around half a degree. As such, I was slightly longer from 7 iron on down, but it wasn’t by much. We’re talking carrying 7 iron 157 instead of 155. The real difference was from 6 iron on up.

pWW1Qcdm.jpg

You read that bold sentence correct. Me, the hybrid guy, the near 7 wood guy, is now a 4 iron guy. That thing was a weapon for me off the tee against @Blackngold_Blood. I can punch shots out under trees and keep it low, I can hit it high if necessary to uphill greens. I love the G710 4 iron, it is my personal swiss army knife. 200 yards and easy money. I’m around 10 yards longer with 4 and 5 iron, and roughly 6-8 yards longer with 6. Part of it is the shaft length coming from One Length, but part of it is forgiveness.

The other thing that is a big plus for these irons is the launch. I wanted to increase the height of my iron shots and it’s happened. Whether it’s the sole or the weighting I don’t know exactly, but these things launch and I love it. Plus, although the soles are wide, they are easy to flight where I need to. The accuracy on these things is near point and shoot. If you’re aimed in the right spot, it’s easy.

Why the knocks? Well, they aren’t workable when I need to, which is not that often, but it’s hard to move them in a meaningful way, but straight works. The other knock, although I’m longer in the long irons, I was hoping for a bit more distance in the short irons.

5rIBAfPm.jpg

2 iron only rounds, 6 other rounds, including a tournament qualifier, but no career best from these irons. I wish I had a success story like @JonMUSC08from this season, but I have to be honest, I haven’t. My game has been a bit up and down this summer. A 91 in the my tournament qualifier, and a lot of rounds in the low to mid 80’s. In a perfect season I’d be in the high 70’s, But I have to admit, the issue right now is not my irons. It’s the driver and my fairway woods. I’ve having trouble finding the center of the club face. Luckily my PINGs are doing the heavy lifting. They make me confident in taking on any shot I come across with any of the clubs and makes me feel like any green is on notice.

I’m hopeful as we continue through the season I’ll be able to post some great scores and stories in this thread for you, but for now, it’s just a bit off.

Ka8YvEim.jpg

So, big props to PING for their online fitting and their access to information that they gave us. Top marks and by far gives me a better understanding of why they have such a loyal following in the industry and among amateurs.

But there is an issue, and while I know it’s not an Arccos review, I feel lit would be incomplete if I didn’t discuss Arccos as PING including Smart Grips as an option was a selling point. The Arccos app on Android is a bit finicky for catching stats, which is why I don’t have much in the way of screenshots to share here. I have to spend a bit more time editing the round as I go. It’s not a huge issue, but something I wanted to mention.

I was hoping to get a new set of irons this year and was lucky enough to be chosen for this testing opportunity. After the past two months, while I think those were potentially really good irons from other companies, I am ecstatic with the PING G710. They tick every box for me to be in the bag into 2021 and beyond and it’s going to be tough for them to be knocked out. I don’t want to say I’m forever a PING iron man, but they are now at the top of list for testing and fitting in the future.

IT’LL NEVER BE ENOUGH

So, if you didn’t enjoy the previous 1500 plus words, or if you’re just impatient, here’s the brass tacks. These irons are great and I would recommend them to any player, regardless of handicap. If you like long and straight and high, which works for a lot of us, you owe it to yourself to test the PING G710. The may not be the longest or the most workable, but you get a quality iron from a quality company.

Also, keep eyes on this space for updates throughout the summer, and check out my new WITB.

iW3DdFGm.jpg

The Pleasure Was Mine

Nice job man...to think you were sold on the Cleveland's prior to this testing...look like you found a winner and a winner found you.  

• Like 1
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52, 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index

2 hours ago, bens197 said:

Nice job man...to think you were sold on the Cleveland's prior to this testing...look like you found a winner and a winner found you.  

Nice tip off on the Modus btw. Really enjoying them. Now to crash your thread in the future.

• Like 4

nice job @Berg Ryman. Do the Modus shafts and the G710's help you from hitting 9-iron stingers? haha had the KBS shafts in mine and hit great launching shots. Might be too high for people that play in a lot of wind but not for me.

• Like 1

Charleston, SC

HDCP 12.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :taylormade-small:  M4 with 60g Atmos red stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: 52, 56, 60 :titelist-small: SM5 & SM6
  • Putter: 34" :odyssey-small: 2-ball original with superstroke grip
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

58 minutes ago, JonMUSC08 said:

nice job @Berg Ryman. Do the Modus shafts and the G710's help you from hitting 9-iron stingers? haha had the KBS shafts in mine and hit great launching shots. Might be too high for people that play in a lot of wind but not for me.

Got to look higher for the ball flights now.

• Like 1

giphy.gif

6CZ7Uwom.jpg

THIS IS ME...

CJDi5zEm.jpg

q9M9GwZm.jpg

Km8aqOjm.jpg

Looks (10 out of 10)

bHUgtQEm.jpg

0PEKZy4m.jpg

ata2fBnm.jpg

pWW1Qcdm.jpg

5rIBAfPm.jpg

Ka8YvEim.jpg

IT’LL NEVER BE ENOUGH

iW3DdFGm.jpg

The Pleasure Was Mine

This is how you do a review recap right here. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

Just now, russtopherb said:

This is how you do a review recap right here. 

Appreciate it @russtopherb

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

Well, after a lost review this afternoon, my review is live, and I'll be bumping the thread again in the morning. Check it here!

Another great, thorough review (and entertaining to boot!) I'm really liking all the positives I'm seeing about these clubs. It doesn't seem like the wear to the finish was much of an issue for you. It looks like you got about 8 rounds of play put on them, but did you put any driving range time on them as well? 

• Like 2

giphy.gif

That's right everyone, it's your guy Berg Ryman back with his final review of the Ping G710 iron set. Before we begin I'd like to take this time in the intro to that the MGS Staff, my fellow testers [mention=76917]perseveringgolfer[/mention], [mention=85612]Lacassem[/mention], [mention=72959]JonMUSC08[/mention], and let's not forget the man who gave up this opportunity due to COVID concerns [mention=53756]McaseyM[/mention], for their help in this tread and this summer in putting these proper irons through the paces. GIve reads to the other reviews as they have alot of exciting video and opinions that may or may not match my own and may better inform you and hopefully give you a round about idea of how these irons may perform for you. Lastly, a huge shout out to my girlfriend Monica. We able to get out yesterday after my morning 18 for another 9 for some photos to pepper the review with. She is the best. 

6CZ7Uwom.jpg

THIS IS ME...

CJDi5zEm.jpg

q9M9GwZm.jpg

Km8aqOjm.jpg

Looks (10 out of 10)

bHUgtQEm.jpg

Now, I know you’ve seen [mention=85612]Lacassem[/mention] post on wear. That’s a really extreme example. I’ve seen minor scratching on the sole of the club, like from tees and range areas that aren’t the best grass.  It’s nothing past what I would consider normal wear and tear. Plus, you’re not looking at the sole of the club at address.

0PEKZy4m.jpg

Ok, total honesty from me here, I never feel how to rate this category correctly. With certain clubs it’s easier, like my Stroke Lab review from last year, because feel is so important to a putter, but in an iron… I don’t really ever feel a difference if I’m honest among clubs in similar styles. Therefore, it feels like a PING iron. You already probably know how you feel about that. The different thing is the sound. I recommend you check out the video by [mention=72959]JonMUSC08[/mention] as I feel like it captures what the sound is. It might not be everyone’s taste, but I personally don’t mind it. The crack gives me the feel of power and is different than a thud. So an 8 seems, right.. i guess?

ata2fBnm.jpg

pWW1Qcdm.jpg

You read that bold sentence correct. Me, the hybrid guy, the near 7 wood guy, is now a 4 iron guy. That thing was a weapon for me off the tee against@Blackngold_Blood. I can punch shots out under trees and keep it low, I can hit it high if necessary to uphill greens. I love the G710 4 iron, it is my personal swiss army knife. 200 yards and easy money. I’m around 10 yards longer with 4 and 5 iron, and roughly 6-8 yards longer with 6. Part of it is the shaft length coming from One Length, but part of it is forgiveness.

5rIBAfPm.jpg

2 iron only rounds, 6 other rounds, including a tournament qualifier, but no career best from these irons. I wish I had a success story like [mention=72959]JonMUSC08[/mention]from this season, but I have to be honest, I haven’t. My game has been a bit up and down this summer. A 91 in the my tournament qualifier, and a lot of rounds in the low to mid 80’s. In a perfect season I’d be in the high 70’s, But I have to admit, the issue right now is not my irons. It’s the driver and my fairway woods. I’ve having trouble finding the center of the club face. Luckily my PINGs are doing the heavy lifting. They make me confident in taking on any shot I come across with any of the clubs and makes me feel like any green is on notice.

Ka8YvEim.jpg

IT’LL NEVER BE ENOUGH

tenor.gif?itemid=12964715

[/url]  

iW3DdFGm.jpg

The Pleasure Was Mine

Nice job!!
Looking forward to see how the finish holds up.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

Since this place holder was originally put here for me, I thought I'd put a little something in it. A huge thank you to Ping for supporting the mission of MGS and providing the opportunity for the test and MyGolfSpy for picking me to participate, but unfortunately I had to withdraw due to time restrictions and family needs once our area schools closed. 
I've been able to be on the inside of the messages back and forth between the testers and mods and it's been fun to follow along and I'm looking forward and everyone's final reviews. 
Thanks again and you'll see my name back in the application pools when life allows.  

Well done

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead