GolfSpy MPR

2020 Official Member Review: PING G710 Irons

Our Sponsors

Just now, Landy said:

Congrats to all the winners!  Cant wait to hear some feedback.

Please let us know if you went with Power lofts, Standard or Retro when writing your review.

Stay safe!

Well, I can tell you I won't be going with Retro lofts, because according to Ping's website they aren't available on the g710. 😉

• Like 3

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:cobra-small: F9 Speedback, 18.5, Hzrdus Yellow 70-S

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

:nickent-small: Pipe

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2019)

:CaddyTek: Caddylite 15.3 V1

Go Orange!

Man, just had an realization, weird time to try to go from one length to conventional, especially with potential practice opportunity removed due to Coronavirus. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Go Orange!

On 3/22/2020 at 7:14 AM, JonMUSC08 said:

Im super. excited to get this opportunity. I'm in need of new irons so this came at a perfect time! My wife might be even more excited knowing I will stop talking about getting new ones haha

But I appreciate the love/support from everyone. Looking forward to getting my hands on these. If there is anything specific you are interested in learning about, let us know and we'll provide feedback. ...when we can

Congrats! These were JUST out of my price range - ended up with the TM Sim Max, which are my first new (and fitted) irons ever.  But the 710s were VERY lusted after in my head 🙂 Curious to see how you feel they compare to your Rocketbladez, and if the stronger loft is a help/hindrance?  I'm finding it both rewarding and VERY confusing to suddenly find myself hitting a 7 iron 25 yards further than I'm used to (coming from VERY old Ping Eye 2's that are almost 8 degrees weaker lofted).  

Also, obviously we're in a strange time here, so no rush on any of this - I'm trying to figure out how to build some sort of hitting station in my backyard that doesn't ruin everyone's life 😉

-Swanson

• Like 2

Driver - :cleveland-small: HiBore, ProForce V2 shaft (stiff, 67g)
3/5 Wood - 
Hybrid - 
Irons (4-PW) - :taylormade-small:- SIM Max, Nippon Modus Tour 105 Stiff
Wedges (52, 56, 60) - Texan Classics (very cheap, don't suck)
Putter - :cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #1
Ball - Cut Grey

On 3/26/2020 at 9:04 AM, Berg Ryman said:

So, I'll jump in here with a look at my past iron history, of which I've never been through a full fitting for. 

The first set of irons I ever had past the box set level was a set of Nike CPR irons, and this was a set before Nike included the CPR hybrid in these iron sets so it was a typical 3-PW set, with nice wide soles. I played these irons through high school and college. They were not very techie, just a red badge cavity back iron with wide soles. I loved those clubs and still have them. Admittedly, and you'll notice this trend, I didn't strike the long irons well on a consistent basis. However, that 3 and 4 iron were good for stingers, punches, and recovery, but maybe not my best weapon off the fairway.

The next set was a controversial selection. You see, I had found a great deal on a brand new set of Adams A7 irons on eBay. I bought them for around 300 bucks, but they were never delivered. Turned out, the guy was a sham artist and I had been had in my early 20's. I called up eBay and threatened to sue the guy unless my money was returned. They helped me get my cash back so I went to Dick's and picked up a similar set, and the set that would take me through the middle part of the 2010's, the Nickent 6DX combo set. This set was Hybrids in 3-5, then 6-PW. Again, I enjoyed playing these clubs for what they were. There was a much up near the top of my bag because I was carrying a 5 wood at 19 and a 19 degree hybrid. The one problem with this set was that the hybrids had a bit of offset and turned them into hook machines if you weren't careful, plus the shafts were regular flex in the graphite, something that I knew wasn't an ideal fit.

Then, we got to my current set, the OG Cobra One Length's in the f7. I kinda self fit these knowing what I knew about shaft performance, my tendencies, and what I was looking for. The set ran 5-SW, but with some interesting modifications. The 5 iron was custom with a graphite Recoil Stiff shaft and I took a degree of loft off it, making it 22 degrees. The rest were stock loft, 1 degree up, with KBS Tour R+ shafts, which did a good job of hitting the windows. I'll be honest in my assessment of these, they did exactly what I wanted them to do as far as consistency, to a point. Yes, you know that some people have issues with long irons in these sets, and that's why I set my 5 iron the way I did, but it still was lacking. I got the flights I wanted out of the higher lofted irons, but on the lower lofts 5 and 6, I just never got the ball flight and launches I was looking for.

So now, the opportunity comes to try a new way. I cannot wait to go through a full iron fitting for the first time. I too, like @JonMUSC08 wonder how my hatred of long irons may exist when it comes to the potential of a 4 iron. I'm keeping a totally open mind as to shafts, both in material and flex. The one thing that does make me sad is that I will not be able to give you guys a full one to one as it relates to my old Cobra set. I have traded that set before I was selected for this testing opportunity for the new fairway woods that make up my bag. Now, I do have old measurements and notes from my practice logs as to distances for carry and total to help in the comparison, so I can give you that information as we ratchet this up. 

As @Golfspy_CG2 mentioned, we are all in a bit of a holding pattern due to what's happening, but you can all rest assured that we are just as willing and ready as you are to get through this. Hopefully this breaks in a safe way soon so that we can all move on safely and without threat. I'll leave you with this potential tease. I have a week vacation I need to take from work before April 30, and it's not like flights are that expensive, plus Phoenix is nice this time of year compared to the Syracuse area. 😉

Super appreciate you taking the time to walk us through this - feels like you're coming from a very similar place as myself prior to getting fitted to my current set (which I managed to do one week before all of Cali was shut down - well done, me).  The gains in distance are REAL, but also...not? I mean, my current 7 iron (playing TM Sim Max) is 28.5 degrees - my previous 7 iron (Ping Eye 2 that I got used ages ago) was 36 degrees - that's literally two clubs + difference (Usually hit my previous 5 iron about 175, and easily hitting this new 7-iron 180, minimum).  So it's a lot of getting used to new lofts when choosing a club - but with the benefit of them being easier to hit.  Curious if you have the same experience - the 710s were slightly out of my price bracket, sadly, as I LOVED the look of them.

Good luck, and as a former-East Coaster, be safe and travel someplace warm as soon as you can - no place better to practice your social distancing than on a golf course in Arizona, I'd have to imagine.

-Swanson

• Like 1

Driver - :cleveland-small: HiBore, ProForce V2 shaft (stiff, 67g)
3/5 Wood - 
Hybrid - 
Irons (4-PW) - :taylormade-small:- SIM Max, Nippon Modus Tour 105 Stiff
Wedges (52, 56, 60) - Texan Classics (very cheap, don't suck)
Putter - :cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #1
Ball - Cut Grey

6 hours ago, Jondough said:

Super appreciate you taking the time to walk us through this - feels like you're coming from a very similar place as myself prior to getting fitted to my current set (which I managed to do one week before all of Cali was shut down - well done, me).  The gains in distance are REAL, but also...not? I mean, my current 7 iron (playing TM Sim Max) is 28.5 degrees - my previous 7 iron (Ping Eye 2 that I got used ages ago) was 36 degrees - that's literally two clubs + difference (Usually hit my previous 5 iron about 175, and easily hitting this new 7-iron 180, minimum).  So it's a lot of getting used to new lofts when choosing a club - but with the benefit of them being easier to hit.  Curious if you have the same experience - the 710s were slightly out of my price bracket, sadly, as I LOVED the look of them.

Good luck, and as a former-East Coaster, be safe and travel someplace warm as soon as you can - no place better to practice your social distancing than on a golf course in Arizona, I'd have to imagine.

-Swanson

Yes always take a look at lofts! thats how they get ya. The G710's are the same lofts as my currents set. Same with the P790s i just ordered. Very important to monitor that because its not true distance gained if they are not the same lofts (unless the newer set is a weaker loft of course).

• Like 4

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60g 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W (15*) Project X HZRDUS Green 70g

:adams-small: 2H VST Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW Project X 6.5 LZ 

:cleveland-small: 50, 54, 58 CBX2  Nippon Modus 125 VS :titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

7 hours ago, Jondough said:

Congrats! These were JUST out of my price range - ended up with the TM Sim Max, which are my first new (and fitted) irons ever.  But the 710s were VERY lusted after in my head 🙂 Curious to see how you feel they compare to your Rocketbladez, and if the stronger loft is a help/hindrance?  I'm finding it both rewarding and VERY confusing to suddenly find myself hitting a 7 iron 25 yards further than I'm used to (coming from VERY old Ping Eye 2's that are almost 8 degrees weaker lofted).  

Also, obviously we're in a strange time here, so no rush on any of this - I'm trying to figure out how to build some sort of hitting station in my backyard that doesn't ruin everyone's life 😉

-Swanson

Ha i hear ya, irons are getting very expensive these days.

It will definitely take some time to figure out my new distances. My 7-iron is typically 150 and i expect these to be like 165-170. Hopefully i can do a gapping session too!

Coming from those Eye2's, the Sim Max had to be WAY different. But in a good way too! The Eye2's are classic and great but those lofts are tough to play these days.

Fortunately my golf course is still open so i'll be able to get out as soon as we get fitted and get the clubs in hand.

• Like 5

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :taylormade-small:  M4 with 60g Atmos red stiff shaft
  • 4-pw irons: :ping-small:  G710 with stiff KBS shafts (MGS Tester '20)
  • Wedges: 52, 56, 60 :titelist-small: SM5 & SM6
  • Putter: 34" :odyssey-small: 2-ball original with superstroke grip
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder (MGS Tester '19)
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

15 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

Well, I guess now I've drawn us into battle with the Titleist thread. More intrigue for sure!

@GolfSpy MPR & @Berg Ryman we need to set up a spreadsheet or "contest" to see who improves the most from the Titleist/Ping irons. We would need to incorporate handicap into it but could be great for some content.

• Like 6

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :taylormade-small:  M4 with 60g Atmos red stiff shaft
  • 4-pw irons: :ping-small:  G710 with stiff KBS shafts (MGS Tester '20)
  • Wedges: 52, 56, 60 :titelist-small: SM5 & SM6
  • Putter: 34" :odyssey-small: 2-ball original with superstroke grip
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder (MGS Tester '19)
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

So guys, friendly update. Ping has closed production through April. We thank you for your continuing questions, thoughts, and opinions in the thread and can't wait to provide you with some hopefully killer content once this passes. I know we're itching to get out there, but together we can stay in and beat this thing together. Can't wait to see you all on the other side!

• Like 9

Go Orange!

6 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Update 

Due to some recent circumstances MCasey felt he would not be able to give 100% attention to this testing.  And being the 1st class guy and member that he is, he offered to step aside so someone who can give such a great test the full effort. 

As such I'd like to congratulate Lacassem who was our next man you on the list.  See alternates to get in from time to time. 

So Welcome to Lacassem, I know he's 💯 committed to this review.  

Thank you @Golfspy_CG2 and again @McaseyM sorry that this didn’t work out it is strange times that are putting strain on so many people.

as many of you have been doing I have been following this forum and anticipating the reviews. Cannot wait to get started as soon as it is safe to do so.

cannot wait to compare the players distance irons currently in my set vs the game improvement irons that are the G710s as well as what distances/forgiveness there is. 

As always stay safe out there everyone and hopefully the season can start soon!

• Like 8

Check out my reviews

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cleveland-small: 50, 54, 58 CBX2  Nippon Modus 125 VS :titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 Nippon Modus 125

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

Thank you [mention=65448]Golfspy_CG2[/mention] and again [mention=53756]McaseyM[/mention] sorry that this didn’t work out it is strange times that are putting strain on so many people.
as many of you have been doing I have been following this forum and anticipating the reviews. Cannot wait to get started as soon as it is safe to do so.
cannot wait to compare the players distance irons currently in my set vs the game improvement irons that are the G710s as well as what distances/forgiveness there is. 

As always stay safe out there everyone and hopefully the season can start soon!

Sounds good. I’m sure McaseyM will be taken care of in the future for his class move.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 6

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

10 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Update 

Due to some recent circumstances MCasey felt he would not be able to give 100% attention to this testing.  And being the 1st class guy and member that he is, he offered to step aside so someone who can give such a great test the full effort. 

As such I'd like to congratulate Lacassem who was our next man you on the list.  See alternates to get in from time to time. 

So Welcome to Lacassem, I know he's 💯 committed to this review.  

Good on you @McaseyM. Honestly don't know if I could've done the same thing if I were put into that situation!

• Like 5

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

3w/5w: :callaway-small: XR16 Fujikura Speeder Evo 565 S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 4 50.10 | 54.10 | 60.09 Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Posted (edited)

Congrats @Lacassem.  Will be interested to see what your opinion of the clubs is as well. Probably going to be quite the difference from your current TM irons

Edited by ChitownM2
  • Like 2

Class act McaseyM! Always love hearing people doing the right thing

• Like 3

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Mizuno JPX EZ 3W, 14U

Cobra Fly-Z Hybrid 18.5

Titleist 816 H1 23

Tommy Armour Atomic 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

56 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

Congrats @Lacassem.  Will be interested to see what your opinion of the clubs is as well. Probably going to be quite the difference from your current TM irons

Yes I am interested to compare just based on the totally different styles. I was fitted for the project x Lz 6.5 shafts for the TMs I am interested to see how the fitting goes in that aspect as well! Will keep everyone updated as it happens when we are able! 

• Like 4

Check out my reviews

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

@McaseyM you're a good man, Charlie Brown.  @Lacassem, congrats and no pressure. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:cobra-small: F9 TL, Atmos TS Blue
:nike-small: Vapor Fly 3, Diamana Blue, Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:bridgestone-small: BXS

Romans 10:9

On 4/9/2020 at 3:19 PM, Rickp said:

Sounds good. I’m sure McaseyM will be taken care of in the future for his class move.

+1 👍

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

Ugh, just had a bad thought if/when this test gets going. If we get additional sensors from Arccos for stat tracking, I don't think it'll fit a Flat Cat grip since the grip hole is on the side of the grip.

• Like 1

Go Orange!