Jump to content

2020 Official Member Review: PING G710 Irons


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, JonMUSC08 said:

After all of the anticipation... I have content!!

This afternoon I was able to meet with Bill Iseri from Ping for a Zoom web-fitting. Bill is the Head Master Fitter for Professional Athletes and Celebrities. Little did he know, I am neither... Regardless of my status, Bill was a great guy to talk and interact with. Very personal and informative. We spent a full hour talking Ping, golf, and life. I was able to learn a bit more about Ping and the pride they have being a tight-knit family company.

Pre-fitting:

Before getting on the call with Bill, I wanted to provide him with the most information I could in order for him to be knowledgeable about my swing and golf game. I sent videos of my swing down-the-line and face-on. I also sent screenshots of my current Arccos data, floor-to-wrist measurements, hand size, driver swing speed, and current iron setup.

The Fitting:

As previously mentioned, meeting Bill was a treat; class-act guy. A good bit of our discussion was based on my current iron setup. For me, I currently play Taylormade Rocketbaladz Tour irons from ?2013?. Being that I am 5'10" I fit very well into the A-typical profile for height. Very little to no lie adjustment needed. I believe that placed me into the Blue dot.

As for swing weight, my RB Tour irons are a D2.0 weight. The G710's come standard as a D0. In order to maintain a similar feel, we decided to bump up the G710's to a D1 swing weight

Shaft selection. I thought this was going to be an opportunity to change. After talking with Bill, he recommended I use the same KBS Tour stiff shaft that are in my RB Tour irons. This will maintain a similar feel as well. We debated if a lower trajectory shaft was needed but its tough to tell without launch monitor data or knowing current launch data from my irons. Ping utilizes a software database to help narrow down and optimize recommended shafts.

Club selection. Not much to talk about as we wanted to see 4-SW in the bag to try them all out. I currently use 3 and 4 iron hybrids so I was very interested in trying out this G710 4-iron. The SW and UW will help prevent gaping issues with my other wedges too.

Grips: I don't even remember which grips are being put on haha oops. I current game the Winn Grip Excel Wrap grip. I like the tacki-ness of them. I mentioned the Arccos sensors for the grips and will be getting those too. He mentioned that we add 2 wraps of tape since i tend to grip the club harder than normal.

Conclusion:

Very cool experience talking with a very intelligent professional. Web fittings seem to be kinda tough... In my honest opinion, web fittings might be best if you have experience, data, and are particular about certain aspects. If it is your first time ever being fit for clubs, you NEED a launch monitor. The data that is available to fitters is exceptional. The added aspect of interchangeable shafts for clubs at a fitter helps out too. I would have liked to TRY different shafts but I do not have any complaints about my current shaft (KBS tour stiff) so we stuck with it; it was also recommended by the software. The launch monitor at a fitter would also help me learn my new gaping as these G710's are expected to be approximately 13yds longer.

All in all, very cool experience meeting a great guy. Always fun talking golf and tech with another golf nut.

Great post I definitely  agree with your conclusion there

Check out my reviews

 :ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

WITB:

 :taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

 :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 SM8 - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125 S :odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Official Review Thread: PING G710 Irons It's a special joy for me to announce the reviewers of the PING G710 irons. PING iron tests are always among our most-applied-for, (dare I say) most

Hey all, here are my initial impression on these clubs hope you enjoy! Pre-Arrival/Arrival: After my virtual fitting with PING, the communication was honestly top notch. Bill, who is a Head-

Update  Due to some recent circumstances MCasey felt he would not be able to give 100% attention to this testing.  And being the 1st class guy and member that he is, he offered to step aside so s

Posted Images

Wow 13 yards is a big jump @JonMUSC08, are you worried about loss of spin from these clubs? The other testers can feel free to answer that too 😁😎

  • Like 2

 

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3 Hybrid - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
Irons:      :cobra-small: King Forged Tec (2016) - LH - 4-PW - KBS C-Taper light Reg
Wedges: :cleveland-small:     RTX Zipcore - LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: Barbados Island
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to Berg for letting me sit in during his tele fit.   Patrick his fitter was great, and very knowledble, I guess they all have to be in order to be doing this at PING HQ.  We had a couple technical issues, first on my end with the video, then Patrick's internet connection dropped.  But despite those two, they got it all in.   I was just a quiet observer for the most part and let them do the work.   

I know Berg is going to share some of his specs and technical info later, I think he's quite pleased with the set make up.

@JonMUSC08 You cracked me up with your comment about being neither...ha    I have emaled back and forth with Bill a lot in setting these up, he is an awesome guy and really been a huge help in getting these set up.  

I agree nothing will be an in person fitting and wish that could have happened for you guys. But I'm afraid it would have been quite a bit longer before that would have been even possible.   Sounds like Bill and Patrick for Berg, both did an incredible job of taking the info and videos you all provided and coming up with fits that will suit you all well.

Really looking forward to you guys getting these. 

 

  • Like 7

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Nunfa0 said:

Wow 13 yards is a big jump @JonMUSC08, are you worried about loss of spin from these clubs? The other testers can feel free to answer that too 😁😎

I already have somewhat higher spin so a little less would probably be good but not to worried no

  • Like 2

Check out my reviews

 :ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

WITB:

 :taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

 :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 SM8 - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125 S :odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Nunfa0 said:

Wow 13 yards is a big jump @JonMUSC08, are you worried about loss of spin from these clubs? The other testers can feel free to answer that too 😁😎

Yea im not worried about spin loss on these. Ping and other companies seem to have done a great job maintaining the proper launch and decent angles that should be seen in each iron BUT increasing distance. My swing tends to generate great spin already (not by design, just happens to be that way) so holding greens has always been easy. The KBS shaft i've used and will be using again is a higher launch shaft as well. If we had gone with a lower launch shaft then I might lose some holding power.

  • Like 3

Charleston, SC

HDCP 12.0

  • Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :taylormade-small:  M4 with 60g Atmos red stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: 52, 56, 60 :titelist-small: SM5 & SM6
  • Putter: 34" :odyssey-small: 2-ball original with superstroke grip
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Ping went above and beyond to help you guys get fitted as properly as possible in these strange times. So far so good guys [emoji106]


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 4

Rick

 

 

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2020 at 12:03 PM, Lacassem said:

Just had my fitting. Was with James Lee III from Ping. Extremely personable and knowledgeable. We got off on the right foot right away, he was Air Force and me Navy, so we had some good banter back and forth to start off.

The fitting itself was very basic and was just filling out information which is very different obviously because we are not swinging clubs, so number data and swing videos are very important. Below was the information they were looking for:

1)     Floor to Wrist-34”

2)     TaylorMade P790’s. Project X LZ 6.5 shaft

3)     Out to in with negative attack angle. Low to mid launch and high spin (6 Iron Below)

a.      Ball Speed-135

b.      Head Speed-100

c.      Launch Angle-18.5

d.      Spin Rate-5623

e.      Angle of attack- -3.7

4)     Videos:

a.     

b.     

c.     

James at first didn’t realize it was an MGS review and put me into the G210’s, our back and forth in the beginning must have gotten him off track. I explained to him what was going on and he said “You’re going to be very long with these 710’s” ...I guess we will see!

I was able to get a few screen shots and the information was great. They have percentages of what shaft will fit you best. The highest for me was the NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 130. I explained to him though that I am all feel when I am playing and the Project X LZ 6.5 felt great when I had my previous fitting (I like the Modus shafts as well but not was much as these) and I think the comparison to my current set will get me better data. He agreed.

So, I am getting 4-GW with Project X LZ 6.5 Arccos inserted grips. Can’t wait to see them!

1.PNG

2.PNG

Jeesh, man. 135 ball speed on a six iron? That's some punch!

Sounds like your fitting went as well as it could given the circumstances. Looking forward to all of you getting your clubs!

 

  • Like 4

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 8.0 (Last Updated June 20, 2021)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Mavrik (9°), 45.75", Dumina AutoFlex SF505X | Unofficial AutoFlex Review
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
18.5° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2016 Model), 39.5", Mitsubishi MMT Utility 105 TX
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 (4-6)/699 Pro (7-AW) Combo Set, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Mitsubishi MMT Taper 105 TX | Build Thread
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 1° Flat, 35.5", 35.25", Mitsubishi MMT Wedge 105 TX | #CobraConnect Review
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
lamkin.png.5081890e009ae78e16066ee0fd18b7c0.png Lamkin Sonar Tour
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos | #CobraConnect Review
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

WITB? | 2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, edingc said:

Jeesh, man. 135 ball speed on a six iron? That's some punch!

Sounds like your fitting went as well as it could given the circumstances. Looking forward to all of you getting your clubs!

 

Yea was pretty interesting because I was fitted in November, same lofted club, same swing speed and jumped from 126 to 135 ball speed with 15 yards gained.

These pings should be a lot of fun! Can not wait to do some comparison days and playing a bunch of balls

  • Like 6

Check out my reviews

 :ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

WITB:

 :taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

 :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 SM8 - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125 S :odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Link to post
Share on other sites

great stuff gents! cant wait to see the rest of the fittings and then hopefully some course action for you. 

  • Like 3
What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Oban Kiyoshi Black 75 05 (X)

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

haha @Berg Ryman we are set in nearly the same specs. Blue dot 4-UW but i am in the KBS Tour Stiff and you went Nippon S.

  • Like 5

Charleston, SC

HDCP 12.0

  • Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :taylormade-small:  M4 with 60g Atmos red stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: 52, 56, 60 :titelist-small: SM5 & SM6
  • Putter: 34" :odyssey-small: 2-ball original with superstroke grip
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Berg Ryman said:

Alright, the time has come. Let's talk the PING TELEFITTING EXPERIENCE

I was paired up with Pat Abshire, one of Ping's master fitters. I also invited our own @Golfspy_CG2 along and even performed some long distance IT support for him on his webcam 😆

Admittedly, I've never had an in-person iron fitting so I don't have much to compare to on that front, but I felt like I learned alot and really expanded my own knowledge of equipment in a very informative and casual way

The Intro

So, like the other folks that went in so far I sent along some videos of me hitting an iron, both down the line and face on. What I may have done that was slightly different than the other guys so far is that I had sent videos with me swinging a steel shafted iron and a graphite shafted iron. I was able to do this because of my weird Cobra self-fit that I did back in the day, I had similar performance from the 5 and 6 irons in one length, so I threw a Recoil stiff in the 5 iron to get a touch more speed to make them both viable in the bag, making the 5 iron more of a driving iron type thing, but lacking versatility off the turf.

This lead to my tease and where mine and Pat's conversation started. A discussion of my game and why I had a graphite shaft in an iron. When I explained my reasoning to them he wondered my age and my past playing because he could tell from my swing that I was probably a better player than my handicap and he said as a lower cap guy I was the player he feared most, the 10 who could play like a 3 or 13 depending on the day. So, flattery is always nice to help get that relationship going.

Pat pretty much laid out the reasons why one would consider graphite shafts at my age and asked if they were things I had. Namely, arthritis, removal of shock up the shaft, and needing to really elevate launch and spin. While I did mention I was a mid ball hitter, we decided that the design of the G710 would do more of the work than going to grpahite.

We then talked a bit more in depth on graphite shafts and he laid out something I never really thought about before, and that was torque difference in steel and graphite. He said because the torque value of shafts in graphite were higher, you were dealing with a wider circle of dispersion than steel, and with some many lighter weight options in steel and my age and swing, he said steel should be the real consideration.

The Make-up

We then went into discussing what I was thinking as far make up and with that loft and lie. Here was where there was something that I was expecting knowing how good a company Ping is, but just brought to the forefront. @Golfspy_CG2 and I were told that Pat wanted me to know that he wanted me to play about five rounds with the clubs and if necessary if things felt wrong either loft or lie wise or anything else to let Ping know and they would try to hook us up with the local rep if possible or some other fitter Ping trusted to get it right. Really awesome to hear that they were that willing to get in with me, and are committed to us for this testing.

So, we were in with standard lofts and Blue dot based on measurement and we didn't deviate from that plan. My Cobra's were 1 degree upright, so they matched Blue Dot and the lie angles were pretty much the same. Pat did mention potentially going weaker in loft again because of my power and speed if necessary to try and get that descent angle in the 40's if we have to, but was willing for us to start standard and change as we go. Also interesting in this communication was how the design was helping the launch angles stay consistent and not the potential "power iron" designation we may tailor to these types of irons. Also, another interesting thing I learned, The Ping Color System is right around 85% of the time, the other 15% you're usually one color off in either direction, so I could be Green or Black, but I think we're spot on with Blue.

Now, make-up of the set. I know we've had a lot of discussion the the thread as to taking on the SW from the set and whether or not he'd go to 4 iron and what. So, I told Pat I was going to start at 4 iron and was wondering about going to back end of the set. Pat asked me how I felt about specialty wedges and if I felt confident in using them and I said I had in the past, but had the set sand wedge in the Cobra because, well One Length. He said he'd recommend I go a specialty wedge instead of the set wedge, so I'm rolling with the 4-UW, and now the search for 2 wedges to fill out the bag is on!

The Shafts and Grips

Now comes the big part. Pat asked what kind of shafts I had in my irons and I told him that I was rolling with the KBS Tour, Regular Plus flex shafts. Weight is 115 grams according to KBS' website. First interesting note that Pat let us in on, and maybe this is an open secret, the stock AWT 2.0 shaft from Ping, is made by Nippon for Ping. I know that sometimes people thing who is making these things, but that was cool to know.

So, based on the KBS R+ shafts we discussed two potential shafts based on launch conditions, looking for that mid to mid high launch, one a touch lighter and one a similar weight. We had basically decided on the Project X LZ 5.5 or the NIppon Modus 105 in Stiff. Now, the choice was finally up to me as to which if of the two to try. Admittedly, it was a tough choice. The LZ would be coming a bit closer to where I was currently at, and interestingly enough, knowing my upcoming iron only challenge with fellow iron tester @blackngold_blood, we'd have the same shafts, just the different heads. But, and this is something I never mentioned until know, I've always wanted Nippon shafts in irons. Discussing the profile of them with @bens197 and how he thought they helped with the TS1 build, plus my want of them dating back to the NS950 days, meant if they were offered, I was going for them. Plus, my swing has always slightly agreed with a lighter, firmer shaft. Modus 105 S it was, and I'm super excited!

The grips were always going to be the Arccos Smart Grip, but the question was grip size. I measured in the White size, but figured perhaps that the Gold would be a good inbetween since I prefer the slightly larger grip. Pat said that the swingweight could potentially be effected, so instead we're splitting the difference, going with the white grip, but adding an extra wrap underneath, building up to 1/64th of an inch.

We then had an interesting discussion of swingweight, something I was considering earlier in the thread. Pat told me that they could build the irons anywhere from C8 to D1. We decided on building them to D0 because that was close to where I felt comfortable, and it would help directionally with misses. Sadly I didn't write down or remember the exact breakdown as how swingweight can affect direction, maybe @Golfspy_CG2remembers.

What I do remember is a great question @Golfspy_CG2 asked as we were closing up the discussion. He wondering about adding a larger grip to a golf club after the fact and the affect it has on swingweight and Pat said that it makes the swingweight lower, which was interesting to me.

In Conclusion

If you've read this far, I salute you. I know I'm usually pretty wordy in this review threads, but I feel like it's my duty to walk you through the experience, plus this is something that's so different from the usual I'd be remiss if I didn't go in depth. I thank Pat and @Golfspy_CG2 for the company yesterday, and Pat especially who wants updates from me besides what I'm posting in the thread for you so he can know and if I had any other questions he was open. Spoiler alert, I may have already asked about what kind of wedge shaft I may be looking at to marry well with the iron shafts. It really raises Ping so much more in my eyes, more than they already were. 

Final build: 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105 S, Arccos Smart Grip, white size, +1 wrap.

Hell of a write up, that is one thing that is awesome about these fittings online or in person is that the INFORMATION these guys have is just another level. They love golf and talking clubs. Really hope these work out for you and you enjoy those Modus shafts! Cant wait for some tracking numbers for shipment!

  • Like 2

Check out my reviews

 :ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

WITB:

 :taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

 :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 SM8 - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125 S :odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

Alright, the time has come. Let's talk the PING TELEFITTING EXPERIENCE

I was paired up with Pat Abshire, one of Ping's master fitters. I also invited our own @Golfspy_CG2 along and even performed some long distance IT support for him on his webcam 😆

Admittedly, I've never had an in-person iron fitting so I don't have much to compare to on that front, but I felt like I learned alot and really expanded my own knowledge of equipment in a very informative and casual way

The Intro

So, like the other folks that went in so far I sent along some videos of me hitting an iron, both down the line and face on. What I may have done that was slightly different than the other guys so far is that I had sent videos with me swinging a steel shafted iron and a graphite shafted iron. I was able to do this because of my weird Cobra self-fit that I did back in the day, I had similar performance from the 5 and 6 irons in one length, so I threw a Recoil stiff in the 5 iron to get a touch more speed to make them both viable in the bag, making the 5 iron more of a driving iron type thing, but lacking versatility off the turf.

This lead to my tease and where mine and Pat's conversation started. A discussion of my game and why I had a graphite shaft in an iron. When I explained my reasoning to them he wondered my age and my past playing because he could tell from my swing that I was probably a better player than my handicap and he said as a lower cap guy I was the player he feared most, the 10 who could play like a 3 or 13 depending on the day. So, flattery is always nice to help get that relationship going.

Pat pretty much laid out the reasons why one would consider graphite shafts at my age and asked if they were things I had. Namely, arthritis, removal of shock up the shaft, and needing to really elevate launch and spin. While I did mention I was a mid ball hitter, we decided that the design of the G710 would do more of the work than going to grpahite.

We then talked a bit more in depth on graphite shafts and he laid out something I never really thought about before, and that was torque difference in steel and graphite. He said because the torque value of shafts in graphite were higher, you were dealing with a wider circle of dispersion than steel, and with some many lighter weight options in steel and my age and swing, he said steel should be the real consideration.

The Make-up

We then went into discussing what I was thinking as far make up and with that loft and lie. Here was where there was something that I was expecting knowing how good a company Ping is, but just brought to the forefront. @Golfspy_CG2 and I were told that Pat wanted me to know that he wanted me to play about five rounds with the clubs and if necessary if things felt wrong either loft or lie wise or anything else to let Ping know and they would try to hook us up with the local rep if possible or some other fitter Ping trusted to get it right. Really awesome to hear that they were that willing to get in with me, and are committed to us for this testing.

So, we were in with standard lofts and Blue dot based on measurement and we didn't deviate from that plan. My Cobra's were 1 degree upright, so they matched Blue Dot and the lie angles were pretty much the same. Pat did mention potentially going weaker in loft again because of my power and speed if necessary to try and get that descent angle in the 40's if we have to, but was willing for us to start standard and change as we go. Also interesting in this communication was how the design was helping the launch angles stay consistent and not the potential "power iron" designation we may tailor to these types of irons. Also, another interesting thing I learned, The Ping Color System is right around 85% of the time, the other 15% you're usually one color off in either direction, so I could be Green or Black, but I think we're spot on with Blue.

Now, make-up of the set. I know we've had a lot of discussion the the thread as to taking on the SW from the set and whether or not he'd go to 4 iron and what. So, I told Pat I was going to start at 4 iron and was wondering about going to back end of the set. Pat asked me how I felt about specialty wedges and if I felt confident in using them and I said I had in the past, but had the set sand wedge in the Cobra because, well One Length. He said he'd recommend I go a specialty wedge instead of the set wedge, so I'm rolling with the 4-UW, and now the search for 2 wedges to fill out the bag is on!

The Shafts and Grips

Now comes the big part. Pat asked what kind of shafts I had in my irons and I told him that I was rolling with the KBS Tour, Regular Plus flex shafts. Weight is 115 grams according to KBS' website. First interesting note that Pat let us in on, and maybe this is an open secret, the stock AWT 2.0 shaft from Ping, is made by Nippon for Ping. I know that sometimes people thing who is making these things, but that was cool to know.

So, based on the KBS R+ shafts we discussed two potential shafts based on launch conditions, looking for that mid to mid high launch, one a touch lighter and one a similar weight. We had basically decided on the Project X LZ 5.5 or the NIppon Modus 105 in Stiff. Now, the choice was finally up to me as to which if of the two to try. Admittedly, it was a tough choice. The LZ would be coming a bit closer to where I was currently at, and interestingly enough, knowing my upcoming iron only challenge with fellow iron tester @blackngold_blood, we'd have the same shafts, just the different heads. But, and this is something I never mentioned until know, I've always wanted Nippon shafts in irons. Discussing the profile of them with @bens197 and how he thought they helped with the TS1 build, plus my want of them dating back to the NS950 days, meant if they were offered, I was going for them. Plus, my swing has always slightly agreed with a lighter, firmer shaft. Modus 105 S it was, and I'm super excited!

The grips were always going to be the Arccos Smart Grip, but the question was grip size. I measured in the White size, but figured perhaps that the Gold would be a good inbetween since I prefer the slightly larger grip. Pat said that the swingweight could potentially be effected, so instead we're splitting the difference, going with the white grip, but adding an extra wrap underneath, building up to 1/64th of an inch.

We then had an interesting discussion of swingweight, something I was considering earlier in the thread. Pat told me that they could build the irons anywhere from C8 to D1. We decided on building them to D0 because that was close to where I felt comfortable, and it would help directionally with misses. Sadly I didn't write down or remember the exact breakdown as how swingweight can affect direction, maybe @Golfspy_CG2remembers.

What I do remember is a great question @Golfspy_CG2 asked as we were closing up the discussion. He wondering about adding a larger grip to a golf club after the fact and the affect it has on swingweight and Pat said that it makes the swingweight lower, which was interesting to me.

In Conclusion

If you've read this far, I salute you. I know I'm usually pretty wordy in this review threads, but I feel like it's my duty to walk you through the experience, plus this is something that's so different from the usual I'd be remiss if I didn't go in depth. I thank Pat and @Golfspy_CG2 for the company yesterday, and Pat especially who wants updates from me besides what I'm posting in the thread for you so he can know and if I had any other questions he was open. Spoiler alert, I may have already asked about what kind of wedge shaft I may be looking at to marry well with the iron shafts. It really raises Ping so much more in my eyes, more than they already were. 

Final build: 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105 S, Arccos Smart Grip, white size, +1 wrap.

Great recap Berg, you nailed it all, thanks for letting me sit in, and oh yeah, thanks for the "uh duh" help on the video cam...ha   For those that want the inside joke,  While my camera was showing on,  I wasn't visible on the call.   I went so deep to check all the privacy settings and such.  Then during a short break when Pat lost his connection Berg and I were talking he asked if it had a cover on it--I was using the one built into laptop, not an external camera.   I said, nope, then I looked even closer and noticed a little toggle switch, an viola!  There was my ugly mug on the call.   I had not used the camera function before, and didn't notice that very smalls switch. 

In any case, the discussion about swing-weight and directional misses, was a prefaced by Patrick saying, "in most cases, not 100% of the time" that if your swing-weight is too low--meaning you may not feel the club-head throughout the swing, you may tend to pull the shaft from out to in and result in misses to the left-for right-handed golfers.   So he suggested going with swing-weights in the D0 to D2 range for most average players to avoid that. 

  • Like 8

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 @Berg Ryman I’m thrilled that you are happy with your setup.  You’re going to be really pleased with those Nippon shafts. It was cool to hear that they make the AWT as well. I’ve become a big fan of these and love seeing others make the move; the feel is like nothing I’ve ever played. 
 

One thing for you newer folks or non-testers. Pay attention to his progress. There are plenty of good reviewers but I’d put Berg in the top 10% of having fun and quality of review. 

  • Like 8
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

 

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2020 at 9:08 PM, tony@CIC said:

Any of you guys have your hands on 410's before this? If you have I'd love to hear your thoughts on the differences. When I went through a fitting last year the 410's just didn't work for me, even though I've got a 410 driver and hybrids.


Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I have not played a PING club ever before this, so can’t wait for this (other than @B.Boston Previous driver)

  • Like 4

Check out my reviews

 :ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

WITB:

 :taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

 :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 SM8 - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125 S :odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great stuff so far guys! 👍 You are all really knocking it out of the park!

 

@Berg Ryman that is a nice set of weapons for our challenge. Looks like we both go 4-Gap so that should make it easier to figure out our setups when the time comes.  

  • Like 5

 

 

 

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, blackngold_blood said:

Great stuff so far guys! 👍 You are all really knocking it out of the park!

 

@Berg Ryman that is a nice set of weapons for our challenge. Looks like we both go 4-Gap so that should make it easier to figure out our setups when the time comes.  

I'm really jealous of these guys. I really wanted to test these irons as well.  But when knows.  The season is young, it just began last week 😎

  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

Alright, the time has come. Let's talk the PING TELEFITTING EXPERIENCE

I was paired up with Pat Abshire, one of Ping's master fitters. I also invited our own @Golfspy_CG2 along and even performed some long distance IT support for him on his webcam 😆

Admittedly, I've never had an in-person iron fitting so I don't have much to compare to on that front, but I felt like I learned alot and really expanded my own knowledge of equipment in a very informative and casual way

The Intro

So, like the other folks that went in so far I sent along some videos of me hitting an iron, both down the line and face on. What I may have done that was slightly different than the other guys so far is that I had sent videos with me swinging a steel shafted iron and a graphite shafted iron. I was able to do this because of my weird Cobra self-fit that I did back in the day, I had similar performance from the 5 and 6 irons in one length, so I threw a Recoil stiff in the 5 iron to get a touch more speed to make them both viable in the bag, making the 5 iron more of a driving iron type thing, but lacking versatility off the turf.

This lead to my tease and where mine and Pat's conversation started. A discussion of my game and why I had a graphite shaft in an iron. When I explained my reasoning to them he wondered my age and my past playing because he could tell from my swing that I was probably a better player than my handicap and he said as a lower cap guy I was the player he feared most, the 10 who could play like a 3 or 13 depending on the day. So, flattery is always nice to help get that relationship going.

Pat pretty much laid out the reasons why one would consider graphite shafts at my age and asked if they were things I had. Namely, arthritis, removal of shock up the shaft, and needing to really elevate launch and spin. While I did mention I was a mid ball hitter, we decided that the design of the G710 would do more of the work than going to grpahite.

We then talked a bit more in depth on graphite shafts and he laid out something I never really thought about before, and that was torque difference in steel and graphite. He said because the torque value of shafts in graphite were higher, you were dealing with a wider circle of dispersion than steel, and with some many lighter weight options in steel and my age and swing, he said steel should be the real consideration.

The Make-up

We then went into discussing what I was thinking as far make up and with that loft and lie. Here was where there was something that I was expecting knowing how good a company Ping is, but just brought to the forefront. @Golfspy_CG2 and I were told that Pat wanted me to know that he wanted me to play about five rounds with the clubs and if necessary if things felt wrong either loft or lie wise or anything else to let Ping know and they would try to hook us up with the local rep if possible or some other fitter Ping trusted to get it right. Really awesome to hear that they were that willing to get in with me, and are committed to us for this testing.

So, we were in with standard lofts and Blue dot based on measurement and we didn't deviate from that plan. My Cobra's were 1 degree upright, so they matched Blue Dot and the lie angles were pretty much the same. Pat did mention potentially going weaker in loft again because of my power and speed if necessary to try and get that descent angle in the 40's if we have to, but was willing for us to start standard and change as we go. Also interesting in this communication was how the design was helping the launch angles stay consistent and not the potential "power iron" designation we may tailor to these types of irons. Also, another interesting thing I learned, The Ping Color System is right around 85% of the time, the other 15% you're usually one color off in either direction, so I could be Green or Black, but I think we're spot on with Blue.

Now, make-up of the set. I know we've had a lot of discussion the the thread as to taking on the SW from the set and whether or not he'd go to 4 iron and what. So, I told Pat I was going to start at 4 iron and was wondering about going to back end of the set. Pat asked me how I felt about specialty wedges and if I felt confident in using them and I said I had in the past, but had the set sand wedge in the Cobra because, well One Length. He said he'd recommend I go a specialty wedge instead of the set wedge, so I'm rolling with the 4-UW, and now the search for 2 wedges to fill out the bag is on!

The Shafts and Grips

Now comes the big part. Pat asked what kind of shafts I had in my irons and I told him that I was rolling with the KBS Tour, Regular Plus flex shafts. Weight is 115 grams according to KBS' website. First interesting note that Pat let us in on, and maybe this is an open secret, the stock AWT 2.0 shaft from Ping, is made by Nippon for Ping. I know that sometimes people thing who is making these things, but that was cool to know.

So, based on the KBS R+ shafts we discussed two potential shafts based on launch conditions, looking for that mid to mid high launch, one a touch lighter and one a similar weight. We had basically decided on the Project X LZ 5.5 or the NIppon Modus 105 in Stiff. Now, the choice was finally up to me as to which if of the two to try. Admittedly, it was a tough choice. The LZ would be coming a bit closer to where I was currently at, and interestingly enough, knowing my upcoming iron only challenge with fellow iron tester @blackngold_blood, we'd have the same shafts, just the different heads. But, and this is something I never mentioned until know, I've always wanted Nippon shafts in irons. Discussing the profile of them with @bens197 and how he thought they helped with the TS1 build, plus my want of them dating back to the NS950 days, meant if they were offered, I was going for them. Plus, my swing has always slightly agreed with a lighter, firmer shaft. Modus 105 S it was, and I'm super excited!

The grips were always going to be the Arccos Smart Grip, but the question was grip size. I measured in the White size, but figured perhaps that the Gold would be a good inbetween since I prefer the slightly larger grip. Pat said that the swingweight could potentially be effected, so instead we're splitting the difference, going with the white grip, but adding an extra wrap underneath, building up to 1/64th of an inch.

We then had an interesting discussion of swingweight, something I was considering earlier in the thread. Pat told me that they could build the irons anywhere from C8 to D1. We decided on building them to D0 because that was close to where I felt comfortable, and it would help directionally with misses. Sadly I didn't write down or remember the exact breakdown as how swingweight can affect direction, maybe @Golfspy_CG2remembers.

What I do remember is a great question @Golfspy_CG2 asked as we were closing up the discussion. He wondering about adding a larger grip to a golf club after the fact and the affect it has on swingweight and Pat said that it makes the swingweight lower, which was interesting to me.

In Conclusion

If you've read this far, I salute you. I know I'm usually pretty wordy in this review threads, but I feel like it's my duty to walk you through the experience, plus this is something that's so different from the usual I'd be remiss if I didn't go in depth. I thank Pat and @Golfspy_CG2 for the company yesterday, and Pat especially who wants updates from me besides what I'm posting in the thread for you so he can know and if I had any other questions he was open. Spoiler alert, I may have already asked about what kind of wedge shaft I may be looking at to marry well with the iron shafts. It really raises Ping so much more in my eyes, more than they already were. 

Final build: 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105 S, Arccos Smart Grip, white size, +1 wrap.

Brilliant @Berg Ryman, not too wordy and fantastic information. You have set the bar high my friend.

  • Like 3

 

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3 Hybrid - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
Irons:      :cobra-small: King Forged Tec (2016) - LH - 4-PW - KBS C-Taper light Reg
Wedges: :cleveland-small:     RTX Zipcore - LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: Barbados Island
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, @perseveringgolfer, getting excited for this week?

  • Like 2

 :mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX119 18* Hybrid, Projext X Evenflow Blue, 6.0

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

🤮⛳   Flo-C

:titelist-small: Pro V1X, 2021 Model, #33

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

So, @perseveringgolfer, getting excited for this week?

Kind of, havent heard from Ping about the videos they mentioned, plus it will be a very unusual fitting sitting in my front room, but who knows, maybe it will turn out to be the best one ever!

I'll update of course once its done.

  • Like 4

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • STUDque unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...