TESTERS WANTED! ×

Maltby TS1 Irons

bens197

On 3/22/2020 at 9:57 AM, Triplebogey said:

Nice! 👍🏽. Just picked up a new set of TS2’s and a TS1 gap wedge. Cannot wait to try them out. Waiting on the new Maltby wedges and am tempted to pick up a driver 🙂 . They have me hook, line and sinker. 

Triplebogey let us know how those wedges perform for you. Been curious on those wedges.

Driver :taylormade-small: Superfast Burner

3-wood :mizuno-small: ST180

5-wood :titelist-small: 910F

Hybrid :1332069271_TommyArmour: TA1 

Irons Maltby TE Forged 4 - GW

Wedge :titelist-small: SM6 58/06

Putter :taylormade-small: Monte Carlo Rossa AGSI

On 3/23/2020 at 9:40 AM, Popeye64 said:

If Maltby products were in the most wanted they would be hurting a lot of OEM feelings. Across the board they are even ir equal to any offerings.
Plus the New KE4 TC driver is just outstanding. I have not been this consistent AND long in decades.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have to agree with you on the OEMs feelings,  popeye. I had the Maltby TE forged irons for the past 5 years and its been the best set of irons I've ever had. They're a very forgiving iron with lofts that are not jack up. 

Driver :taylormade-small: Superfast Burner

3-wood :mizuno-small: ST180

5-wood :titelist-small: 910F

Hybrid :1332069271_TommyArmour: TA1 

Irons Maltby TE Forged 4 - GW

Wedge :titelist-small: SM6 58/06

Putter :taylormade-small: Monte Carlo Rossa AGSI

On 4/20/2020 at 8:55 AM, bens197 said:

Yesterday I had the chance to play several holes into a 20mph headwind (according to accuweather) for 9 holes. I want to say that I’m beyond the honeymoon period and frankly, this style of iron is brilliantly engineered.

I played the ball down and was hitting 6 irons out of the rough with solid contact. Slight misses maintain their trajectory and path far better than any other style or design I’ve ever played. Far better than a perimeter weighted cast or a forged cavity. They’re small enough to minimize friction through rough and large enough to offer forgiveness on poor contact.

I am not saying these specific irons are the sword in the stone. I am saying if you haven’t tried a player’s distance iron, give them a shot. This is like nothing I’ve ever experienced.

If you had to make a comparison to a major OEM, is there a model you think the TS-1's are most similar to?

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

If you had to make a comparison to a major OEM, is there a model you think the TS-1's are most similar to?

Full disclosure, I haven’t hit any other player’s distance irons...ever. My decision to play these was based on a lot of feedback from MGS members, notably [mention]chisag [/mention] who plays P790’s. I am not saying these are the same but the mindset in pursuing these irons was based on his experience. As a low single digit, I’m looking for ways to play better and get some extra help. He has said countless times that while he could play a true blade, the player’s distance category is a great choice for both forgiveness and playability.

So if I want to compare to a major OEM? I would rather send you into the player’s distance category as a whole (including the injected foam heads) rather than one specific brand. The cosmetic differences among certain mfg’s may dissuade you but I am not exaggerating my statement when I say that these are ridiculously forgiving. I’ve grown to believe that they’re “point and shoot” technology. If I have my yardages I can swing and the ball goes in the general vicinity of where I’m aimed.

I hope that helps you.
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I would have no problem building and playing Maltby or WIshon clubs. I have historically played the lesser known or extinct manufacturer such as Ben Hogan or MacGregor. 

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

Hey question for any of you Maltby players..

Actually 2 questions

1. Anybody get their hands on the TSW wedges yet?

2. Is anybody familiar with the "stock" TT Score shaft offering?

I'm debating if I should order a built club with the Score shaft OR if I should order the head and ferrule and pair it with either a TT DG spinner or S300 that I've got lying around.

The reviews on the shaft seem promising. Just trying to avoid the work of pulling the shaft if I end up not liking it.

Thx!

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

8 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Actually 2 questions

I'm debating if I should order a built club with the Score shaft OR if I should order the head and ferrule and pair it with either a TT DG spinner or S300 that I've got lying around.

The reviews on the shaft seem promising. Just trying to avoid the work of pulling the shaft if I end up not liking it.

Thx!

There was a build by a member on WRX who took some good photos.  If you go to The Google, search for "TSW Wedge" and you'll see them.  At setup they look really nice...I love the sole, the price and I would like to get a 58 going sooner than later.

As far as shafts go...The low cost of the head means you can spend a little extra on a better shaft and your total cost is far lower than any OEM product.  The score shaft is $6...I can't imagine its anywhere in the realm of quality of what you're used to if you have DG's and Spinners lying around...And, you're getting a forged head.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

2 hours ago, bens197 said:

There was a build by a member on WRX who took some good photos.  If you go to The Google, search for "TSW Wedge" and you'll see them.  At setup they look really nice...I love the sole, the price and I would like to get a 58 going sooner than later.

As far as shafts go...The low cost of the head means you can spend a little extra on a better shaft and your total cost is far lower than any OEM product.  The score shaft is $6...I can't imagine its anywhere in the realm of quality of what you're used to if you have DG's and Spinners lying around...And, you're getting a forged head.

Thanks for the input @bens197. Yeah the cost isn't so much the concern as the work or extra work I'd have to put in to remove the SCORE shaft to re-install the DG Spinner in the even the score doesn't work out. I could use a project anyhow so I'm thinking I'll just order the head and ferrule and do the install. Not to mention I have a brand new grip on the spinner shaft and it's already cut to my playing preference.. AND I like and know how it performs. 

Cheers!

MAXFLI  Tour CG

10 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Actually 2 questions

Thx!

The Score has been compared to the TT Dynalite 109 - which Nike used as their uniflex shaft.  I have it in both my irons and wedges and like it quite a bit - it's really a middle of the road shaft in terms of feel, spin and flex.  

On 3/21/2020 at 1:29 PM, bens197 said:

I’ve written on several posts that I’ve been interested in building a new set of irons this season. As it’s progressed, I pulled the trigger last week and went with a 4-GW setup with Nippon Modus 3 120 shafts in a stiff flex. The trial period was with the 7 iron and it’s been consistently positive. I’ve tried hitting a variety of shots in several different conditions. Wind, no wind, rain, cold and sun. The trial period was very successful and as a result, these are my new irons. 

I am well aware that Maltby irons are not wetting the whistle of every golfer. I’ll be blunt and say, you’re not my audience.  

This was a very fun project and the heads are complemented by ferrules from BB&F Co.  The ferrules arrived in a drawstring pouch which was cool. Above all, quality of the product is fantastic. At approximately $3-$4/each, it doesn’t break the bank to add a nice touch.

Here are some photos of the set and as the season progresses, I’ll be able to add to this thread. If you’re interested in a players distance club that you can build yourself, I am here to answer whatever questions you have. 

23A64D05-DAD6-46A9-903E-54BF9ADCDB51.thumb.jpeg.e4cdd47fe970c3bfffe15a3aa6dc88c6.jpeg

B0E88774-AC1E-49FD-A297-DC11E37B3092.thumb.jpeg.875703cbf1d4fe1c561e2dc50f32bfa3.jpeg

37AC1410-480F-4DF5-9DDE-EC2F13B7D158.thumb.jpeg.4b8529088151a8da9628db8d00c00d8a.jpeg

4A403299-01CE-45AD-AF46-9FD1EC48B50B.thumb.jpeg.6a3c378c171f9d450bfbdbebdc502868.jpeg

366217B4-197A-4FC9-B0E8-6A576C5EE46F.thumb.jpeg.099d0e4e11cadd4507772280f10a5fdc.jpeg

Those look great. I am a big fan of  BB&F Co ferrules. I just don't as of yet have the skills to do this kind of work. How long did the build take? I have been watching a club builder on YouTube, Jim Mcleery of McGolf Custom clubs. He does a great job of showing the process. I am curious as to what level of detail went into your build. He weighs the components and does frequency checks for flex, spine and flow. That's what he does for a living but I wonder of that level of detail is needed for the average golfer. Thanks for sharing this build.

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:ping-small: G400 Max 10.5° w/Ping Alta CB

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

20 minutes ago, MattWillGolf said:

Those look great. I am a big fan of  BB&F Co ferrules. I just don't as of yet have the skills to do this kind of work. How long did the build take? I have been watching a club builder on YouTube, Jim Mcleery of McGolf Custom clubs. He does a great job of showing the process. I am curious as to what level of detail went into your build. He weighs the components and does frequency checks for flex, spine and flow. That's what he does for a living but I wonder of that level of detail is needed for the average golfer. Thanks for sharing this build.

Thanks man...I am not a professional by any means.  I learned most of the craft from my grandpa who built me my first set and was a believer in Golfworks / Dynacraft / Golfsmith Products. He was an engineer by trade...He held several patents on the world's first Haloid 914 (Xerox) copier and took pride in showing me how to properly build a club.

As far as the specificity of weights and tolerances I will say that I was able to get my swing weights between D2/D3 for the entire set.  I did not overanalyze the set and prefer feel over data.  I think that makes sense without explaining further.  If it feels good, it works good!  

BBF&Co had my eye for a while and I wanted to put my own touch on the set.  They were easy to install on a .355 Taper Shaft and turned out well.  As far as the shafts, that sell was based upon a LOT of quality feedback from MGS members.  As I said before, I was always swinging boardy and stiff shafts.  Amid a COVID tempered golf season, I have been able to put in enough swings to realize that the feel of these shafts gave me a TON of confidence to make better swings.  The flight was consistent and they just perform.

Technically speaking, I am not a believer in spining shafts.  It's just my opinion but I really do not see value in that unless you're consistently breaking par and putting the ball exactly where you want it every time you swing the club.  If anyone wants to discuss further, we can do that another time.  The average golfer could paralyze their brain by over thinking this process.

So as far as building the set I will say this.  TAKE YOUR TIME.  That was the greatest lesson in learning club building.  Don't be afraid to make a mistake, you will.  I hope that helps, if you need any more please let me know, I would be glad to help!

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

44 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Thanks man...I am not a professional by any means.  I learned most of the craft from my grandpa who built me my first set and was a believer in Golfworks / Dynacraft / Golfsmith Products. He was an engineer by trade...He held several patents on the world's first Haloid 914 (Xerox) copier and took pride in showing me how to properly build a club.

As far as the specificity of weights and tolerances I will say that I was able to get my swing weights between D2/D3 for the entire set.  I did not overanalyze the set and prefer feel over data.  I think that makes sense without explaining further.  If it feels good, it works good!  

BBF&Co had my eye for a while and I wanted to put my own touch on the set.  They were easy to install on a .355 Taper Shaft and turned out well.  As far as the shafts, that sell was based upon a LOT of quality feedback from MGS members.  As I said before, I was always swinging boardy and stiff shafts.  Amid a COVID tempered golf season, I have been able to put in enough swings to realize that the feel of these shafts gave me a TON of confidence to make better swings.  The flight was consistent and they just perform.

Technically speaking, I am not a believer in spining shafts.  It's just my opinion but I really do not see value in that unless you're consistently breaking par and putting the ball exactly where you want it every time you swing the club.  If anyone wants to discuss further, we can do that another time.  The average golfer could paralyze their brain by over thinking this process.

So as far as building the set I will say this.  TAKE YOUR TIME.  That was the greatest lesson in learning club building.  Don't be afraid to make a mistake, you will.  I hope that helps, if you need any more please let me know, I would be glad to help!

Thanks for the detailed reply. I love that you learned club building from your grandpa. That sounds like a wonderful memory to have.

Other than the basic tools, do you have any club building tools?

In my younger years I repaired medical equipment in the Army and worked on some xerography equipment for X-Ray. I may have dip my toe in the water of "club building". I'm thinking of ordering some components from Golfworks for a new driver shaft and I have seen some reasonable shaft prices on eBay. That is the cool thing about adjustable drivers.

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

36 minutes ago, MattWillGolf said:

Thanks for the detailed reply. I love that you learned club building from your grandpa. That sounds like a wonderful memory to have.

Other than the basic tools, do you have any club building tools?

In my younger years I repaired medical equipment in the Army and worked on some xerography equipment for X-Ray. I may have dip my toe in the water of "club building". I'm thinking of ordering some components from Golfworks for a new driver shaft and I have seen some reasonable shaft prices on eBay. That is the cool thing about adjustable drivers.

I have a jig for ferrule installs, 120 grit for shaft prep and a vise with a shaft grip so I can do grips. Beyond that it’s not super high-tech, I’d say more along the lines of utilitarian than anything you’d see in a shop. Essentially I found what works for me and I know my limits. 

Above all, it’s become a hobby. I stopped playing bagpipes a few years ago and needed another hobby just to help keep my mind fresh and occupied. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

4 hours ago, bens197 said:

I have a jig for ferrule installs, 120 grit for shaft prep and a vise with a shaft grip so I can do grips. Beyond that it’s not super high-tech, I’d say more along the lines of utilitarian than anything you’d see in a shop. Essentially I found what works for me and I know my limits. 

Above all, it’s become a hobby. I stopped playing bagpipes a few years ago and needed another hobby just to help keep my mind fresh and occupied. 

Those tools sound really manageable.

Bagpipes?! You don't hear that everyday! My high school was the fighting Irish. We would have the occasional bagpiper. Can you pipe in the haggis? 🙂

1 hour ago, MattWillGolf said:

Those tools sound really manageable.

Bagpipes?! You don't hear that everyday! My high school was the fighting Irish. We would have the occasional bagpiper. Can you pipe in the haggis? 🙂

Yeah 8 years of playing with the fire service was enough.  I had to stop for a few reasons namely the fatigue of playing funerals and watching a young deceased dad's kid saluting the casket.  I needed a break.

I did play with a scottish band and we'd play Burns nights for the haggis...an acquired taste even with endless supply of hot sauce!

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

• 2 weeks later...

Actually 2 questions

Thx!

I had not hit the TSW yet but the wedge really has all of rhe modern tech that is making wedges a lot friendlier. Should have great feel as well.

As for the Score LT shafts. They are a legit offering but just happen to be very inexpensive. The have good feel, a higher flight and spin well. I believe they weight in the 115 g area. They were an OEM shaft overrun that Golfworks bought up. They have been so good that they kept the production run going for many many years.
The Score LTs are a great budget option. There is a real reason they have been in production so long.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I had not hit the TSW yet but the wedge really has all of rhe modern tech that is making wedges a lot friendlier. Should have great feel as well.

As for the Score LT shafts. They are a legit offering but just happen to be very inexpensive. The have good feel, a higher flight and spin well. I believe they weight in the 115 g area. They were an OEM shaft overrun that Golfworks bought up. They have been so good that they kept the production run going for many many years.
The Score LTs are a great budget option. There is a real reason they have been in production so long.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

@popeye64 in case you had any interest in the wedges, myself and a couple others have gotten our hands on the TSW's and have started a review thread :)

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/38309-maltby-tsw-wedge-5612/

MAXFLI  Tour CG

• 1 month later...

An update to this project.

I am one of the Hogan PTx Combo testers that is scheduled for the summer.  While they're not an exact type match, the PTx Pro irons will closely resembler the TS1 iron.  I am looking forward to sharing this progress and offer a fair comparison to a players' distance iron and a forged combo set.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, Bchev said:

Any update on the PTX pro vs TS-1?  Both are on my radar. Thanks. 

@bens197

Right Handed

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

WITB thread here

10 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

Thanks @tommc23 

I wrecked my back in August and slipped a disc.  I haven’t played since 8/9 so here is what I can say...

They are point and shoot irons. I can’t put into words how good they feel but I have zero buyers remorse. High quality, soft feel and consistent trajectories. I didn’t ever hit a shot and think what the heck just happened there. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

I've had the TS-1s out for 3 rounds so far. I want to do a comparison and/or review as well. Would definitely be cool to have 2 reviews out around the same time.

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Thanks [mention=72773]tommc23[/mention] 

I wrecked my back in August and slipped a disc.  I haven’t played since 8/9 so here is what I can say...
They are point and shoot irons. I can’t put into words how good they feel but I have zero buyers remorse. High quality, soft feel and consistent trajectories. I didn’t ever hit a shot and think what the heck just happened there. 
Would you agree that both sound and feel are weirdly addictive? As in, when you finish a round, you feel like you wanna go straight to the range or back to #1 to keep hitting more shots? And then when you go home, you daydream about how nice they feel and sound?

MAXFLI  Tour CG

13 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Thanks @tommc23 

Yeesh, man sorry to hear that. Hope you have a full recovery soon!

Right Handed

WITB thread here

58 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

Would you agree that both sound and feel are weirdly addictive? As in, when you finish a round, you feel like you wanna go straight to the range or back to #1 to keep hitting more shots? And then when you go home, you daydream about how nice they feel and sound?

I originally built a 7 iron in the spring as a demo. I played one round with it and instantly ordered the balance of the set. While that sounds reactionary, and surely it does, I can say with confidence that I have never felt or played a club like these. 

Now wait, Steve you sound like a homer because you just praised the Hogan’s. Let me clarify. 

The Hogan’s in their own right are amazing. When I’m playing good golf, they will be in the bag. When I need irons that allow me to be me and give me that extra oomph, it’ll be the TS1s. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

56 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

Yeesh, man sorry to hear that. Hope you have a full recovery soon!

Thank you 😊

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

• 1 month later...

I recently built Maltby TS1 irons, 5-GW. At first I have a Steelfiber 95 Stiff shaft in a 6 iron to demo.  Did not like at all and thought it was the head. Found that the Steelfiber 95s are very tip stiff. Put in an MCA C6 Black Stiff shaft and loved it! Built the remainder of the set. There is no reason to buy OEM stuff and waste a lot of money paying for their advertising and player sponsorships.  This (and other Maltby designs) are as good as any OEM and don't look like they were designed by a committee!  OEMs change their design every 1 to 2 years.  Nearly every change is cosmetic while they tout performance improvements which are not true.

I recently built Maltby TS1 irons, 5-GW. At first I have a Steelfiber 95 Stiff shaft in a 6 iron to demo.  Did not like at all and thought it was the head. Found that the Steelfiber 95s are very tip stiff. Put in an MCA C6 Black Stiff shaft and loved it! Built the remainder of the set. There is no reason to buy OEM stuff and waste a lot of money paying for their advertising and player sponsorships.  This (and other Maltby designs) are as good as any OEM and don't look like they were designed by a committee!  OEMs change their design every 1 to 2 years.  Nearly every change is cosmetic while they tout performance improvements which are not true.
I'm still claiming my TS-1'S as the best clubs I've EVER hit! I wish I had the kind of influence to get MGS to test or compare these to ANY OEM out there. The MGS community would $#!T itself knowing what a set of these cost and how well they perform on all levels.

MAXFLI  Tour CG

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 11:56 PM, azstu324 said:

I'm still claiming my TS-1'S as the best clubs I've EVER hit! I wish I had the kind of influence to get MGS to test or compare these to ANY OEM out there. The MGS community would $#!T itself knowing what a set of these cost and how well they perform on all levels.

SHHHHHHHH! If MGS tested them and they did well, Golfworks would be perpetually sold out of everything and prices would probably go up.

I do wish MGS added them to the testing. I suppose it could be Maltby not wanting to send clubs in for testing but I don't know. However, if MGS is willing to test Sub70, Ben Hogan, and all the other DTC companies, I don't know why Maltby couldn't be included. Especially since they offer assembly and pre-built sets with stock configurations.