TESTERS WANTED! ×

Maltby TS1 Irons

bens197

1 hour ago, Kansas King said:

SHHHHHHHH! If MGS tested them and they did well, Golfworks would be perpetually sold out of everything and prices would probably go up.

I do wish MGS added them to the testing. I suppose it could be Maltby not wanting to send clubs in for testing but I don't know. However, if MGS is willing to test Sub70, Ben Hogan, and all the other DTC companies, I don't know why Maltby couldn't be included. Especially since they offer assembly and pre-built sets with stock configurations. 

I would presume that an arrangement like that would have to be a 2-way street right? I would also gander that there might be some sort of contractual agreement that both parties would have to decide on due to reputations and monetary value of equipment being tested, etc.

In the year of the conspiracy.. My vote is that Maltby doesn't GAS. I only say this because I'd think that Maltby represents everything that MGS is all about right? Informing the consumer of all the unknown goodness in golf, as well as educating folks not to always buy into all of the OEM hype and pay high prices for stuff you can get at fractions that performs equally, if not better? 

So here's another one to add to the growing Maltby/MGS conspiracy bucket.. in the 2020 most wanted Player's Iron section on the home page, I left a comment.. something along the lines of "man it's too bad the Maltby TS1 wasn't considered because it would have knocked this test on it's rear". Well it went up.. stayed up for about 3 hrs.. and then disappeared. 

As a matter of fact, I'm saving a screen shot of this right now in the event that it goes missing in the next few hours.. (kidding).. or am I? 🤔🤫🤨

Edited by azstu324

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

30 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

I would presume that an arrangement like that would have to be a 2-way street right? I would also gander that there might be some sort of contractual agreement that both parties would have to decide on due to reputations and monetary value of equipment being tested, etc.

In the year of the conspiracy.. My vote is that Maltby doesn't GAS. I only say this because I'd think that 

I've always had suspicions (or conspiracy) that the mainstream golf companies don't want anything to do with Maltby's golf equipment. I've always wondered if the mainstream OEMs have leaned on MGS to not include Maltby in testing. However, my counter-point to that is Maltby doesn't want to be included because if their equipment doesn't test well, it could impact their group of cult-like fans that believe Maltby's equipment is better than anything else out there. My other theory is that Golfworks/Maltby supplies mainstream OEMs with designs/parts/etc. and has agreed to not supply their clubs for testing against other OEMs. 

I would suggest persons interested in learning/identifying the GolfWorks to OEM realationships should read Ralph Maltby book, My Life in Golf. Lots of OEM Golfworks collaboration over the years. Its a pretty good read with examples that I think several post in this thread inquire about/suggest.

Regarding MGS testing Maltby/GolfWorks, its not like you go into a retail golf store and see Maltby TS1, TS2, etc lines (I would be in favor of this though). MGS tests clubs that are commonly available in retail golf outlets. Probably could test other brands/variants.

IMO those models (Gofworks/Wishon) are meant to be fitted/built to spec of the golfer interested. Note, I love Golfworks/Maltby and Wishon club heads. I just don't put them in the mainstream OEM category. I fit and build those fine brands more individually.

6 minutes ago, aerospace_ray said:

I would suggest persons interested in learning/identifying the GolfWorks to OEM realationships should read Ralph Maltby book, My Life in Golf. Lots of OEM Golfworks collaboration over the years. Its a pretty good read with examples that I think several post in this thread inquire about/suggest.

Regarding MGS testing Maltby/GolfWorks, its not like you go into a retail golf store and see Maltby TS1, TS2, etc lines (I would be in favor of this though). MGS tests clubs that are commonly available in retail golf outlets. Probably could test other brands/variants.

IMO those models (Gofworks/Wishon) are meant to be fitted/built to spec of the golfer interested. Note, I love Golfworks/Maltby and Wishon club heads. I just don't put them in the mainstream OEM category. I fit and build those fine brands more individually.

42 minutes ago, Kansas King said:

I've always had suspicions (or conspiracy) that the mainstream golf companies don't want anything to do with Maltby's golf equipment. I've always wondered if the mainstream OEMs have leaned on MGS to not include Maltby in testing. However, my counter-point to that is Maltby doesn't want to be included because if their equipment doesn't test well, it could impact their group of cult-like fans that believe Maltby's equipment is better than anything else out there. My other theory is that Golfworks/Maltby supplies mainstream OEMs with designs/parts/etc. and has agreed to not supply their clubs for testing against other OEMs. 

Both excellent points.

@aerospace_ray wouldn't you agree though that DTC, non-big box, has been a major talking point for MGS in the past year or so? Brands like Sub70, New Level, Hogan (kind of), Vice, Snell, and quite a few others have been showcased here and with excellent reception. Is Golfworks/Maltby so much of a sub-category of DTC that they wouldn't be a homerun story to publish? Without having any hard proof at all, I'd still venture to say that Maltby has a bigger cult following than half of those aforementioned brands. I also think that's a big reason why a lot of those brands opt to be reviewed on sites like MGS.. because they know the audience here is more than just the casual golfer who only care to know about the top 5. Our minds are open, we are enthusiastic. Proud but still at ease to be humbled and educated. To me that is the perfect customer for these brands and Maltby should be no exception. Right?  

I'll definitely have to pick up that book. I know that both Ralph and Tom (Wishon) designed and built for some major players back in the 70's and 80's and may still have designs floating around the market today (another conspiracy). Any time I see praises for Wishon, I won't hesitate to let people know that he was an apprentice of Maltby before he moved onto Dynacraft and then on to successfully do his own thing. 

@Kansas King I think you could be onto something there with the idea that maybe because of Maltby/GW's ties and pretty much DNA imprinted in many OEM's designs and equipment supply, and not wanting to disturb any relationships, etc. 

Of course this is all conspiracy right? 🙂 If only we could construct some sort of bat signal-like contraption and Ralph Maltby himself could swoop in and answer all of our burning questions.. until then we're left to our own imaginations and conspiracies to distort what actual truths there might be. 😆

MAXFLI  Tour CG

20 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Both excellent points.

"@aerospace_ray wouldn't you agree though that DTC, non-big box, has been a major talking point for MGS in the past year or so? "

Absolutely and they should be. These companies provide us/the consumer with options that most likely can be much more expensive from major OEM's. Appreciate MGS giving visibility and testing these companies products.

"Brands like Sub70, New Level, Hogan (kind of), Vice, Snell, and quite a few others have been showcased here and with excellent reception. Is Golfworks/Maltby so much of a sub-category of DTC that they wouldn't be a homerun story to publish?"

Concur. Quality brands you reference, many with industry veterans and quality offerings. My only concern for some would be you may not be able to walk in a PGASS/DICKSG/etc and touch-feel-test --- maybe but not often (to date). Yes many have demo shipment options but even that may not influence consumers like going to visit a local big box golf store. But I have used demo test programs and been pleasantly surprised. 

"Without having any hard proof at all, I'd still venture to say that Maltby has a bigger cult following than half of those aforementioned brands. I also think that's a big reason why a lot of those brands opt to be reviewed on sites like MGS.. because they know the audience here is more than just the casual golfer who only care to know about the top 5. Our minds are open, we are enthusiastic. Proud but still at ease to be humbled and educated. To me that is the perfect customer for these brands and Maltby should be no exception. Right?  "

Agree Maltby has great following as does Tom Wishon (I am a Wishon disciple if you will 🙂 ). But I do my own fitting, learned through trial/error over 40 years of club making / fitting. I know my specs and that is why I guess I look at Maltby/Wishon/few others in different category. IMO both would be capable of producing quality off the rack clubs that are built to tight specs if their business models chose to do so. 

"I'll definitely have to pick up that book. I know that both Ralph and Tom (Wishon) designed and built for some major players back in the 70's and 80's and may still have designs floating around the market today (another conspiracy). Any time I see praises for Wishon, I won't hesitate to let people know that he was an apprentice of Maltby before he moved onto Dynacraft and then on to successfully do his own thing. "

Great questions/perspectives. Appreciate the comments. 

Maybe a test comprising only DTC companies?  New Level, Sub 70, Haywood, Maltby, etc. Those companies might be happy to provide test clubs made to the testers’ specs. Worth a shot. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Maybe a test comprising only DTC companies?  New Level, Sub 70, Haywood, Maltby, etc. Those companies might be happy to provide test clubs made to the testers’ specs. Worth a shot. 

I am up for that. Who is going to fit us and do I get to keep the clubs???? Though it Probably is not practical to make 20 sets of clubs for the testers

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Was watching the TXG live from last week and Ian was asked if he would review Maltby. He said its just not popular enough to review, it is only benefit to a select group of club fitters. He also mentioned he is not a fan of designs and feels they they aren't "finished".

Sad to see since they do have an influence in the community especially with golf gear heads. Would be nice to give the Maltby a chance.

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

44 minutes ago, pozzit said:

Was watching the TXG live from last week and Ian was asked if he would review Maltby. He said its just not popular enough to review, it is only benefit to a select group of club fitters. He also mentioned he is not a fan of designs and feels they they aren't "finished".

Sad to see since they do have an influence in the community especially with golf gear heads. Would be nice to give the Maltby a chance.

I was watching that as well. I get where they are coming from, but yes, it would be interesting to see them throw the TS1 and TS2 into their testing. But ultimately that is probably reliant on Golfworks/Maltby sending them heads to review, and so far I haven't seen much of an effort from them to get out into the "influencer" space.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

1 hour ago, pozzit said:

39 minutes ago, edingc said:

I was watching that as well. I get where they are coming from, but yes, it would be interesting to see them throw the TS1 and TS2 into their testing. But ultimately that is probably reliant on Golfworks/Maltby sending them heads to review, and so far I haven't seen much of an effort from them to get out into the "influencer" space.

Haha I was watching that too...😂

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

16 hours ago, pozzit said:

He also mentioned he is not a fan of designs and feels they they aren't "finished".

So we are obviously all familiar with various Maltby Offerings right? I'm familiar with the TS-1 and DBM's. I know they're not all visual successes but no OEM has a 100% aesthetic success rate. Take the clubs that visually look the part and also are just home runs as far as playability go, i.e. PTM, DBM, TS-1, TS-2, TSW, KE4 woods, etc. are fit and finish really a problem when comparing each of these to OEM's? 

I did a comparison of the TS-1 in the "show us your Maltby" thread to the TM P770. IMO, I'm not seeing any missed steps in product quality. I actually like the look and profile of the TS-1 better and the P770 is a really nice looking club. Samesies with the TSW wedges. 

I'm guessing that with some of these guys it boils down to viewer ratings. If they're gonna put together a video, they're probably thinking more about maximizing their audience. Additionally, Maltby would need to have a need for the connection as I'm sure other OEM's are sending free gear to these guys to get some camera time. If Maltby isn't willing to form a partnership and provide clubs, and these Youtube guys aren't willing to fork up a few bucks to do a review that might get less action than an OEM review, it's a lose/lose. Definitely sucks

MAXFLI  Tour CG

1 hour ago, azstu324 said:

I'm guessing that with some of these guys it boils down to viewer ratings. If they're gonna put together a video, they're probably thinking more about maximizing their audience. Additionally, Maltby would need to have a need for the connection as I'm sure other OEM's are sending free gear to these guys to get some camera time. If Maltby isn't willing to form a partnership and provide clubs, and these Youtube guys aren't willing to fork up a few bucks to do a review that might get less action than an OEM review, it's a lose/lose. Definitely sucks

That’s it. To these guys, it doesn’t matter how great the clubs named Maltby are.

It’s just not their market. Currently, their business is all about “like & subscribe.”

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

He couldn't be more wrong about that statement. I'm not sure if he has had any of the designs of the last two years in his hands.
I'm willing to bet he gets sponsored by the OEMs. With the Maltby heads he wouldn't have those wide profit margins either.
But to call them unfinished designs is just crazy.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Here are a set of TS-1s with the Xcaliber RTi shafts. The 5 and 6 are the 75g S flex. The 7-PW are the 95g softstepped. The GW has the awesome Spinwedge shaft to cap off the set. The Spinwedge is 100g. Over all the set is just about perfect and easy to play, yet give superior control.q
To call these unfinished is Ludacris! These are beautiful in looks and such a well rounded club. The sole design is subtle but has turf interaction to rival a Srixon.
I have been having these go head to head with a Hogan Players combo set, same shaft setup, and these wipe the Hogans up in almost every category. I have a sentimental place in my heart for the Hogans but in all honesty it's not much of a contest between the two clubs.
The TS-1s are easier to hit at every spot in the bag. They feel better and are far more forgiving. Looks is a toss up as I'm a DBM finish kind of guy. That nod has to go to the Hogans though.
The TS-1s are stronger lofted in places and the distance certainly shows. Spin and flight control, the Hogans spin more but not a ton. I can flight the TS-1s a bit easier. Both have great control but you can't beat the touch of the TS-1s.
So I'm calling the TXG comments as BS. JPEG_20201116_114142_7329890944470258128.jpgJPEG_20201116_114207_5356713684242898720.jpgJPEG_20201116_114457_1468045973517205627.jpg

21 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

He couldn't be more wrong about that statement. I'm not sure if he has had any of the designs of the last two years in his hands.
I'm willing to bet he gets sponsored by the OEMs. With the Maltby heads he wouldn't have those wide profit margins either.
But to call them unfinished designs is just crazy.

I totally agree that pretty much all the new offerings look really good. I will say some of the older stuff I've seen does look a little wonky, maybe he just hasn't seen Maltby stuff in a while.

Right Handed

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

WITB thread here

I totally agree that pretty much all the new offerings look really good. I will say some of the older stuff I've seen does look a little wonky, maybe he just hasn't seen Maltby stuff in a while.
Yes, some of the old stuff was sketchy in looks but the clubs always performed. The forged high end offerings have always been more than solid. Look at how long the TE was offered. The MMB was another that was in the catalog forever and they were spot on. The biggest difference now is even the low cost heads have great looks as well.

10 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

Here are a set of TS-1s with the Xcaliber RTi shafts. The 5 and 6 are the 75g S flex. The 7-PW are the 95g softstepped. The GW has the awesome Spinwedge shaft to cap off the set. The Spinwedge is 100g. Over all the set is just about perfect and easy to play, yet give superior control.q
To call these unfinished is Ludacris! These are beautiful in looks and such a well rounded club. The sole design is subtle but has turf interaction to rival a Srixon.
I have been having these go head to head with a Hogan Players combo set, same shaft setup, and these wipe the Hogans up in almost every category. I have a sentimental place in my heart for the Hogans but in all honesty it's not much of a contest between the two clubs.
The TS-1s are easier to hit at every spot in the bag. They feel better and are far more forgiving. Looks is a toss up as I'm a DBM finish kind of guy. That nod has to go to the Hogans though.
The TS-1s are stronger lofted in places and the distance certainly shows. Spin and flight control, the Hogans spin more but not a ton. I can flight the TS-1s a bit easier. Both have great control but you can't beat the touch of the TS-1s.
So I'm calling the TXG comments as BS. JPEG_20201116_114142_7329890944470258128.jpgJPEG_20201116_114207_5356713684242898720.jpgJPEG_20201116_114457_1468045973517205627.jpg

Man I'll fight to the death on this one.. Don't care how blasphemous it may sound.. but a flushed TS-1 feels and sounds better than ANY club on the market.

Imagine if I started a thread that read something like "Mizuno has nothing on these clubs" what kind of hell I would unleash 🤣

MAXFLI  Tour CG

@Popeye64

Those TS1s look nice. It's too bad Maltby gets some poor comments around the interwebz because I think they do make a good product. With that said, they have had more than a few bad aesthetic designs in the past. They need to take that red color they use and return it to the depths of hell it came from. However, I do like the design of the TS1s and the TS2s are decent but not great. I've seen the KE4's in person and they look good at address but the sole design still looks on the cheap side but it's not a high cost club either. This generation of KE4's is miles better than the last design though. I think their best bet is going to be clean designs that aren't too busy like they have been in the past. I could see them upping the marketing budget in the future as club manufacturing costs go up. It won't be long till they can justify the cost of marketing as club manufacturing costs go up. I think pre-built paks will probably start at $500 within a few years as it just won't be possible to offer cheap Chinese stuff anymore but I hope I'm wrong.

I just think the idea of spending $20 - $30/set (IDK what they currently spend) on marketing when clubs are $500 will be more palatable for a company like Maltby that isn't big into advertising. I'll be curious to see if Maltby pivots towards more direct marketing like sending demos out to testers for them to review and compare. I could understand them not wanting to send out their KE4 S irons because they look ugly as sin but it does look like they've changed their designs for the better. 

[mention=75887]Popeye64[/mention]
Those TS1s look nice. It's too bad Maltby gets some poor comments around the interwebz because I think they do make a good product. With that said, they have had more than a few bad aesthetic designs in the past. They need to take that red color they use and return it to the depths of hell it came from. However, I do like the design of the TS1s and the TS2s are decent but not great. I've seen the KE4's in person and they look good at address but the sole design still looks on the cheap side but it's not a high cost club either. This generation of KE4's is miles better than the last design though. I think their best bet is going to be clean designs that aren't too busy like they have been in the past. I could see them upping the marketing budget in the future as club manufacturing costs go up. It won't be long till they can justify the cost of marketing as club manufacturing costs go up. I think pre-built paks will probably start at $500 within a few years as it just won't be possible to offer cheap Chinese stuff anymore but I hope I'm wrong.
I just think the idea of spending $20 - $30/set (IDK what they currently spend) on marketing when clubs are $500 will be more palatable for a company like Maltby that isn't big into advertising. I'll be curious to see if Maltby pivots towards more direct marketing like sending demos out to testers for them to review and compare. I could understand them not wanting to send out their KE4 S irons because they look ugly as sin but it does look like they've changed their designs for the better. 
When I go the range I hand out a lot of demo clubs. The looks on peoples faces when they first hit a Maltby or even better find out what they cost more than speaks for value and performance.
To your point about marketing and moving up in market share.. im not sure howuch they want to grow.
They are already the world leader in golf supplies. Being owned by such a big parent company im not sure what they are allowed for a budget or if they are possibly just run on their own dime.
If you haven't hit a Maltby lately you are destined to spend three times the cost of a full set of Maltbys. Hit these clubs and you will buy them. In this day and age I certainly know I would never ever pay 1200 + for a new set of OEM irons. Ill gladly have three sets of irons in the rack as opposed to one.

15 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

When I go the range I hand out a lot of demo clubs. The looks on peoples faces when they first hit a Maltby or even better find out what they cost more than speaks for value and performance.
To your point about marketing and moving up in market share.. im not sure howuch they want to grow.
They are already the world leader in golf supplies. Being owned by such a big parent company im not sure what they are allowed for a budget or if they are possibly just run on their own dime.
If you haven't hit a Maltby lately you are destined to spend three times the cost of a full set of Maltbys. Hit these clubs and you will buy them. In this day and age I certainly know I would never ever pay 1200 + for a new set of OEM irons. Ill gladly have three sets of irons in the rack as opposed to one.

this is kind of how I see things.. and I might be wrong but to me it makes sense as to why we're not seeing Maltby attempting to make a run similar to Hogan or Sub70. 

TGW like @Popeye64 mentioned is world renowned for golf shop supplies from A-Z. Maltby golf clubs might just be a life-long passion project of Ralph Maltby that TGW is able to supplement and help keep running while the real money for the company is made on TGW side of the business. Additionally, he may not be calling any of the shots at TGW anymore due to business acquisitions, mergers, etc. Just a thought

Ralph Maltby might just be doing business at a pace that keeps him excited, allows him to call it his, but not too crazy where it starts to feel like running a major business as he probably knows first-hand from TGW. I can totally respect that if that's his thing.  

MAXFLI  Tour CG

@Popeye64

I agree with your viewpoint and I do own some Maltby products. I'm waiting to see what they replace the PTM and TE with next year as they are rolling out some new products. Britt Lindsley talked a little about what they have upcoming next year over in the Maltby club building blog and the new forgings have me excited.

I would genuinely be curious how many clubs Maltby moves because I really don't see them that often. I will see quite a few of them if there is a club builder at a course that likes Maltby but beyond that I don't see many out in the wild. I will probably get a new set of Maltby's built next year depending on what they are offering. 

Well, seeing as TXG is going to review the Inesis irons, I'm guessing there isn't much merit to Ian feeling Maltbys are unfinished but rather that Golfworks hasn't sent a demo set to review. Or rather, I should say I bet TXG would do a review if sent a set regardless of any preconceived notions.

Still seems like Golfworks is missing a golden opportunity here, but obviously I have no insight into the inner workings of the company.

That being said, I keep looking at the TS-1s and then am quickly reminding myself that I already have a set of built PTMs and another set of prestine PTM heads sitting in my basement...

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up

Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

4 hours ago, edingc said:

Well, seeing as TXG is going to review the Inesis irons, I'm guessing there isn't much merit to Ian feeling Maltbys are unfinished but rather that Golfworks hasn't sent a demo set to review. Or rather, I should say I bet TXG would do a review if sent a set regardless of any preconceived notions.

Still seems like Golfworks is missing a golden opportunity here, but obviously I have no insight into the inner workings of the company.

That being said, I keep looking at the TS-1s and then am quickly reminding myself that I already have a set of built PTMs and another set of prestine PTM heads sitting in my basement...

Yeah, that's for sure. I like what Inesis is doing for sure, but their irons are definitely not pleasing to the eye

Right Handed

WITB thread here

@edingc

How are you getting along with the PTMs? I was browsing the Matby forum yesterday and Britt had said they only have 8 sets left of the PTM with the DBM finish. I figure I'll wait to see what Matlby comes out with next year to replace the TE and PTM with but I kind of like what I'm seeing with the PTM. I always figure I can find a slightly used or NOS set if I don't like what replaces it next year. 

52 minutes ago, Kansas King said:

@edingc

How are you getting along with the PTMs? I was browsing the Matby forum yesterday and Britt had said they only have 8 sets left of the PTM with the DBM finish. I figure I'll wait to see what Matlby comes out with next year to replace the TE and PTM with but I kind of like what I'm seeing with the PTM. I always figure I can find a slightly used or NOS set if I don't like what replaces it next year. 

Both my assembled set and the spare set of heads I have are the pearl chrome - can't speak to the DBM finish, but...

I like the PTMs a lot. They got relegated to my backup set in early July by the #CobraConnect Challenge SpeedZone irons, which I stuck with throughout the rest of the year. This winter at the range I'm going to do a thorough comparison between the SpeedZones and PTMs to see what I want to play next year. I took the PTMs out for a practice round a few weeks ago and hit them really well. Obviously they give up distance to the SpeedZones (which are really, really loft-jacked), but they feel fantastic and the shape is much more compact, but still larger than a true blade.

Oddly enough, to my eye the PTMs have a slight bit more offset than the Cobras do (at least in the shorter irons) and they seem to get along better with my swing. That and the rocker-style/v-style sole is fantastic and forgiving.

And, just going by score, I shot all but one of my best rounds of the season with the PTMs in the bag. 

3 Wood: 
4 Utility: 
5-PW:
50°, 54°, 58°:
Putter:
Grips: 

Riding On: 

49 minutes ago, edingc said:

Both my assembled set and the spare set of heads I have are the pearl chrome - can't speak to the DBM finish, but...

I like the PTMs a lot. They got relegated to my backup set in early July by the #CobraConnect Challenge SpeedZone irons, which I stuck with throughout the rest of the year. This winter at the range I'm going to do a thorough comparison between the SpeedZones and PTMs to see what I want to play next year. I took the PTMs out for a practice round a few weeks ago and hit them really well. Obviously they give up distance to the SpeedZones (which are really, really loft-jacked), but they feel fantastic and the shape is much more compact, but still larger than a true blade.

Oddly enough, to my eye the PTMs have a slight bit more offset than the Cobras do (at least in the shorter irons) and they seem to get along better with my swing. That and the rocker-style/v-style sole is fantastic and forgiving.

And, just going by score, I shot all but one of my best rounds of the season with the PTMs in the bag. 

Thanks for the insight! I switched to the Ping i15s at the end of last season just to try a more forgiving and higher offset iron. I have gotten along well with the i15s and surprisingly, I really liked the extra offset in the longer irons. I used to despise offset but have found out that the benefits outweigh the aesthetic effects. I was originally looking at the TEs but I didn't love the toe shape and I kind of wanted a little higher MOI since my miss is hitting out towards the toe. My biggest issue with the i15s is distance control and that is something I've not had issues in the past with when I was playing my Callaway X-Forged and Bridgestone J-38 DPCs. I enjoy tinkering but I really don't switch irons that often. My best ever rounds were with the J38s but I just never felt like I made consistent solid contact with them. Not trying to get too windy, but I am partial towards Maltby designs because I am more of a sweeper with a rather relaxed swing. So low COG heads that are easy to get the ball in the air really help me out and make it easier for me to relax on the course. I'm not a huge fan of the "players distance" category because when I hit them on launch monitors my spin is almost always too low for my mid irons. So when I do all my mental gymnastics, it would seem the PTM kind of fits my sweet spot of a more forgiving forged iron with a little offset.

As much as I want to order a set of the PTM heads, I think I'm going to wait till next season. I won't be golfing much over the next four months and I want to wait to see what they replace the TE and PTM with. I'll probably make a change next summer after I build a few test irons and see which one I like best. 

Can anyone comment on the size of the TS1 head in relation to the Honma 737v  as well as the soles ?

I am unable to see/hit any of these clubs and other than GolfWorks, no one else publishes blade length, toe/heel heights and sole widths.

• Tour Edge C722 Driver
  • Adams Redline Titanium 5w
  • Tour Edge C721 irons 4 - PW
  • Cleveland CBX2 48 degree wedge
  • Maltby M-Series 52 & 56 wedges
  • Cleveland HB Soft Premier 11s putter

2 hours ago, liermann.mark said:

Can anyone comment on the size of the TS1 head in relation to the Honma 737v  as well as the soles ?

I am unable to see/hit any of these clubs and other than GolfWorks, no one else publishes blade length, toe/heel heights and sole widths.

You might actually try calling GolfWorks customer service and asking them if they know the Honma specs. They get a lot of that information from manufacturers but I don't know if you have it on Honma. You could also just call Honma's customer service line. These specs shouldn't be a secret. 

Edited by Kansas King

On 11/19/2020 at 10:14 AM, liermann.mark said:

So I tried my best to find the specs of the 737v and couldn't come up with anything at all. 

Here are the specs for the TS-1's if this helps in any way. I will say this that the profile sits right in between the TM P760 and 770 if that gives you any better reference. I'll keep looking around

image.png.6740602863ce5e296bcac1d409447a27.png

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Thanks for trying. The TS1 looks nice, but that filled face. Is it clickey?

I had Cleveland 588 TT's that were clickey when you hit it pure. Never liked the sound.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

• Tour Edge C722 Driver
  • Adams Redline Titanium 5w
  • Tour Edge C721 irons 4 - PW
  • Cleveland CBX2 48 degree wedge
  • Maltby M-Series 52 & 56 wedges
  • Cleveland HB Soft Premier 11s putter