Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

The best blade/forged iron on the market

rowjow

Currently got the Adams A7 irons and yes they are good irons. The problem is they aren't very workable and I am thinking of getting blades because I play at a very windy course.

Any reviews comments on forged irons would be great and very useful.

Thanks

Currently got the Adams A7 irons and yes they are good irons. The problem is they aren't very workable and I am thinking of getting blades because I play at a very windy course.

Any reviews comments on forged irons would be great and very useful.

Thanks

Does it matter? There is no "best", only what's best for YOU. Don't stress yourself about what people think of "feel", either- there's no way to truly quanitfy it. Let's say you like Company A's forged offering. The stock option is a PX 6.0 with a Lamkin cord grip. It's going to "feel" a certain way to you. But you take that same head, switch out the shaft to a PX 5.0 (or TTDG S300, KBS Tour, Apollo Standard Stepless... shafts with differing bend profiles or stiffness ratings) it's going to change how it "feels". Then you switch out the grip to, say, a Winn Lite Soft, or a GP Tour Velvet. Again, the "feel" will change. What about a vibration-dampening insert? That will change the "feel" as well. That same process can be done for stainless steel, cast irons, as well.

As for workability, I've seen people slice/hook forged and cast irons alike. While it's not good for the golfer, that's still "working" the ball. Yes, the amount is diminished if you use a thick-soled SGI iron, but it's still there. It's about the club's design, and the golfer's ability to tweak his/her stance, swing path and release, not what metal it's made out of or its manufacturing process.

What I'm getting at is, find something that looks good to YOU. There's so much to choose from- not just heads, but shafts and grips as well- and they can all be manipulated to be perfect for you. Get with a fitter and find a combination that's best for your personal needs. Not mine or anyone else's... yours.

Nice one, just wondered what clubs to look at but thanks

Even that answer brings the problem back to your personal likes and dislikes, or current interest at the very least. It's really a matter of what suits your eye and fits your hand because you are going to be the one looking at them most often and using them. Bottom line is, if it makes you want to fondle them and look forward to the day on the grass, they are the right clubs.

Shambles

• 2 weeks later...

Does it matter? There is no "best", only what's best for YOU. Don't stress yourself about what people think of "feel", either- there's no way to truly quanitfy it. Let's say you like Company A's forged offering. The stock option is a PX 6.0 with a Lamkin cord grip. It's going to "feel" a certain way to you. But you take that same head, switch out the shaft to a PX 5.0 (or TTDG S300, KBS Tour, Apollo Standard Stepless... shafts with differing bend profiles or stiffness ratings) it's going to change how it "feels". Then you switch out the grip to, say, a Winn Lite Soft, or a GP Tour Velvet. Again, the "feel" will change. What about a vibration-dampening insert? That will change the "feel" as well. That same process can be done for stainless steel, cast irons, as well.

As for workability, I've seen people slice/hook forged and cast irons alike. While it's not good for the golfer, that's still "working" the ball. Yes, the amount is diminished if you use a thick-soled SGI iron, but it's still there. It's about the club's design, and the golfer's ability to tweak his/her stance, swing path and release, not what metal it's made out of or its manufacturing process.

What I'm getting at is, find something that looks good to YOU. There's so much to choose from- not just heads, but shafts and grips as well- and they can all be manipulated to be perfect for you. Get with a fitter and find a combination that's best for your personal needs. Not mine or anyone else's... yours.

Well Said my sentiments exactly

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived