Our Sponsors

How many here play either occasionally or predominantly woods made of persimmon or maple (laminated)?  While I game modern equipment I occasionally bring out one of my classic persimmon drivers from the 50s (MacGregor) out for a play date.  How many here do this?  I know BigStu does (from interaction on another site).  Here's a few of mine.  These are my 1950-1952 693, 1952-1953 M09 LFF, 1954-1955 M85W and Wood Brothers Texan made for Gene Sauers.

693 face.jpg

LFF face.jpg

M85W.jpg

Wood Bros Sauers.jpg

• Like 4

I have a few woods to choose from.  There is also a tremendous MacGregor 1950-1952 M43T driver in the MacGregor bag and I have a terrific former gamer MacGregor 1954-1955 945W.  My old Cleveland Classic driver from the late 80s/early 90s with X100 shaft is on the PowerBilt bag.  Included is also my 1954 TP Special driver that I have not taken out.

Office Staff bags.jpg

Cleveland DG43 face.JPG

TP Special face.JPG

TP Special sole.JPG

• Like 5

I do.  My persimmons dont look as good as the OP's do though.  Ive got an old Wilson persimmon driver and a Spalding.  I love the look of them, although I dont hit the ball very high with them.

• Like 1

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 18*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Tommy Armour VCG 56*

Putter: Wilson Augusta

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Wow!  What a beautiful collection of persimmon woods.  I didn't keep any of mine and I now regret that.  I hope to start collecting some older equipment.  

• Like 1

Cobra F9 Driver (10.5) with a Tour AD IZ-7 XStiff 

Titleist 917 F2 3 wood (13.5) Diamana White 80 stiff shaft

Titleist 917 F2 5 wood (18) Diamana Blue 70 stiff shaft

Titleist T100 Irons with AMT White Stiff Shafts

Vokey SM8 50.08, 54.14, 58,10

Scotty Cameron Squareback (2020)

Pro V1 or V1x 

I go on Ebay from time to time and look at persimmon woods.  All of them are so beautiful that I want to buy them all.  In a perfect world, I would have a bag full of persimmon woods, blade irons, hickory shafts and a persimmon putter; but then I remind myself at how underpowered they would be on modern golf courses.

My first set of clubs(1959) were hickory shafts....I only have one left, a putter that is mounted on the wall if my home office.

As for persimmon woods, I gamed PowerBilt Citations with Citation blades. They were sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

1 hour ago, Retrogolfer36 said:

I go on Ebay from time to time and look at persimmon woods.  All of them are so beautiful that I want to buy them all.  In a perfect world, I would have a bag full of persimmon woods, blade irons, hickory shafts and a persimmon putter; but then I remind myself at how underpowered they would be on modern golf courses.

The temptation is huge for sure.  For me there are certain models I am not looking for.  Classic MacGregor woods of the early/mid 1950s.  Pretty basic stuff -  693, M43, 945, M85 and any LFF I can find.  I have pretty solid sets/individual drivers of these and am looking for the perfect specimens if I can find them without paying a kidney for them.  I just picked up this M85W driver for a rather low Buy It Now.  I was kind stunned with the price so I purchased it.  I removed the sole plate and found that this is solid block persimmon.  The driver is 43 inches and comes in at a bit more than D7.  A 43 1/2" shaft would probably make this a D5 driver.  I contacted Dave Wood and he proclaimed this as a deep face M85W and "Rarest of the rare".  This driver is making its way to Texas for a Dave Wood spa treatment this coming week!!!

M85W face natural light.jpg

M85W crown.JPG

M85W skirt.JPG

M85W sole.JPG

• Like 3
7 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

The temptation is huge for sure.  For me there are certain models I am not looking for.  Classic MacGregor woods of the early/mid 1950s.  Pretty basic stuff -  693, M43, 945, M85 and any LFF I can find.  I have pretty solid sets/individual drivers of these and am looking for the perfect specimens if I can find them without paying a kidney for them.  I just picked up this M85W driver for a rather low Buy It Now.  I was kind stunned with the price so I purchased it.  I removed the sole plate and found that this is solid block persimmon.  The driver is 43 inches and comes in at a bit more than D7.  A 43 1/2" shaft would probably make this a D5 driver.  I contacted Dave Wood and he proclaimed this as a deep face M85W and "Rarest of the rare".  This driver is making its way to Texas for a Dave Wood spa treatment this coming week!!!

M85W face natural light.jpg

M85W crown.JPG

M85W skirt.JPG

M85W sole.JPG

Those are some beautiful woods.  I just scored a set of Mizuno MS-5 persimmons.  Drive and 5-wood.  I'll had to post up some pics when they get here.  I also scored an old Mizuno mallet putter with a brass insert.  I believe that the persimmons and the putter are from the late '80s.

Since our course opened in 1906, it's completely playable with hickory shafts, never mind real wooden club heads.

I had no trouble adjusting to the first metalwoods like the original TaylorMade series, the Hogan Series 56 model, and the venerable Titlest PTs.

Veteran players will remember that these were essentially copies of the persimmon / laminated maple woods except that they were made of hollow stainless steel.

When metalwoods began to take on their own personalities, they changed in more ways than just adding a lot of tech.  They became longer, more upright, had larger heads, and the higher lofts tended to have closed faces.   That's when I started to struggle with them.

Louisville Golf no longer works in laminated maple, but they still offer a nice selection of persimmon woods.  They come with graphite shafts, hickory shafts, and while they last, steel shafts. Steel shafts for woods were discontinued by True Temper in 2017, but some remain in Louisville's stock.

If you play at 7000+ yards, persimmon probably won't cut it.  Otherwise it does have things to offer.

The clubs are shorter with flatter lie angles and more open faces if that suits you.  The available lofts are wider spaced.  You might not want a 16.5º metal four wood and an 18º metal five wood.  However, an 18º persimmon 4-wood and a 21º persimmon 5-wood could very well be found in the same bag.

Another thing is that wooden clubheads are more easily customizable for fit metrics.  For fifty extra bucks, you get any loft, lie angle, and face angle that you want.  They're merely lathing wood.  Choices in finishes and inserts are available too.

If I could still play, I'd be very tempted to go with a Louisville 2, 4, 5 set.  It would be perfectly functional at our old club.  I'm more than old enough for it not to be something radically new to which I'd have to adapt. 

PS: My first set of woods were MacGregor 945s handed down to me by my uncle.  They're not in playable condition, but I still have them.

Edited by NiftyNiblick
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, NiftyNiblick said:

Since our course opened in 1906, it's completely playable with hickory shafts, never mind real wooden club heads.

I had no trouble adjusting to the first metalwoods like the original TaylorMade series, the Hogan Series 56 model, and the venerable Titlest PTs.

Veteran players will remember that these were essentially copies of the persimmon / laminated maple woods except that they were made of hollow stainless steel.

When metalwoods began to take on their own personalities, they changed in more ways than just adding a lot of tech.  They became longer, more upright, had larger heads, and the higher lofts tended to have closed faces.   That's when I started to struggle with them.

Louisville Golf no longer works in laminated maple, but they still offer a nice selection of persimmon woods.  They come with graphite shafts, hickory shafts, and while they last, steel shafts. Steel shafts for woods were discontinued by True Temper in 2017, but some remain in Louisville's stock.

If you play at 7000+ yards, persimmon probably won't cut it.  Otherwise it does have things to offer.

The clubs are shorter with flatter lie angles and more open faces if that suits you.  The available lofts are wider spaced.  You might not want a 16.5º metal four wood and an 18º metal five wood.  However, an 18º persimmon 4-wood and a 21º persimmon 5-wood could very well be found in the same bag.

Another thing is that wooden clubheads are more easily customizable for fit metrics.  For fifty extra bucks, you get any loft, lie angle, and face angle that you want.  They're merely lathing wood.  Choices in finishes and inserts are available too.

If I could still play, I'd be very tempted to go with a Louisville 2, 4, 5 set.  It would be perfectly functional at our old club.  I'm more than old enough for it not to be something radically new to which I'd have to adapt. 

PS: My first set of woods were MacGregor 945s handed down to me by my uncle.  They're not in playable condition, but I still have them.

Would love to see pictures of the 945s!

My Mizzy persimmons arrived today. I must admit, they're better than I expected.20200401_155944.jpg20200401_155931.jpg20200401_155922.jpg20200401_155914.jpg20200401_160006.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Retrogolfer36 said:

My Mizzy persimmons arrived today. I must admit, they're better than I expected.20200401_155944.jpg20200401_155931.jpg20200401_155922.jpg20200401_155914.jpg20200401_160006.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Nice looking Mizunos!

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP-20 SEL Project X 5.5 shafts 5-PW

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB Project X 5.5 shaft 4 Iron

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

My plan for 2020 season is to play classic/retro golf exclusively, at least to start.  I have a fair number of Ram persimmons, befitting my Ram Ho status.  Over the off-season, decided to pick up a 1/3/4 set of Orlimar persimmons, plan is to start with the driver and 3w from this set, mix in the 4w where I'd care to.

Have a Ram TW800, TW801, TW802, and TW805, and a couple other Golden Rams in there.  Also have a Louisville Smart Driver and a Personal Model, a MacGregor M09T Jumbo (80s reissue), and John Deere 150th anniversary commemorative driver, and driver/3w in both Eye2 and Zing Blonde.

I only started playing golf in the late 90s, I didn't have any experience with actual wood clubs until I bought a Louisville Smart Driver in the early 2000s.  Became intrigued when I took it on the course and found I was hitting it as far as my Ti driver at the time.  And here we are.

I'll have to scrounge up some pics....

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, DGS300; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; Golden Ram TW276, DGS; Golden Ram TW282, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 56*, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60*, 1.05 sole, DGS; Maltby Design 60* 1.05 sole, NV105
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, or TM TP5

Some pics of a few of mine

From top to bottom, Louisville Smart Driver, Ram TW805, Ram TW801, Ram TW802

image.png.19dba2fc59f1110462f46ad3d8fd3321.png

My set of Orlimar 1/3/4
image.png.63cc4df50885dc725df8eb0edc7c4da6.png

And a sole/face shot of the four in the first pic, with my John Deere Commemorative added

image.png.b165ad9f3d09d3675fee1f6a3461ffab.png

Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, DGS300; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; Golden Ram TW276, DGS; Golden Ram TW282, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 56*, DGS

Posted (edited)

Here are the woods in my MacGregor staff bag.  Most are MacGregors but also in there are other makes. A Wood Brothers driver made for Gene Sauers, a custom Mike Coppola (my former club restoration person in Delaware), my Cleveland Classic DG43 gamer from 1990-1992.  I am missing my new M85W driver and 693 fairway woods (2-4) which are in the hands of Dave Wood going through their restoration process presently.  I am also missing my 945W fairway woods that will be restored next year along with my 945W driver.  I will have the M85W fairway woods (2-3) restored as well at some point and the gloss of my M85W taken down to satin.  The graphite shaft is a prototype Graphite Design that is 3X and made for Greg Norman.  It was given to me by a Class A PGA pro who is well connected with a former PGA Tour caddy.

Mac Staff Bag.jpg

Edited by RobotDoctor
  • Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I've got three rounds in now.  All three rounds have been played with the Orlimar driver and 3w shown in the pics above.  It's been interesting, I've had contact consistency problems with the driver, but have been consistent making contact with the 3w.  Even have hit the 3w off the deck a few times with no trouble.  

I'll either keep these in the bag, or pull out a couple Ram persimmons; I've been hitting the Orlimar surprisingly higher than I was expecting, might try my Ram TW802, which is a little lower loft.

Yesterday after hitting my tee shot on #17, had a guy peek around the corner of the pine trees that separated 17th tee from 12th tee.  He'd heard the sound, wanted to know how old my driver was, and how I liked playing it.  Found that interesting, can't remember that happening before.  🙂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

I've got three rounds in now.  All three rounds have been played with the Orlimar driver and 3w shown in the pics above.  It's been interesting, I've had contact consistency problems with the driver, but have been consistent making contact with the 3w.  Even have hit the 3w off the deck a few times with no trouble.  

I'll either keep these in the bag, or pull out a couple Ram persimmons; I've been hitting the Orlimar surprisingly higher than I was expecting, might try my Ram TW802, which is a little lower loft.

Yesterday after hitting my tee shot on #17, had a guy peek around the corner of the pine trees that separated 17th tee from 12th tee.  He'd heard the sound, wanted to know how old my driver was, and how I liked playing it.  Found that interesting, can't remember that happening before.  🙂

There is a different sound with the ball striking a wooden club.  Instead of the metallic "ting" sound it is more like a "thwock".  I have a few dozen new old stock Titleist Balata golf balls that have lost much compression so the sound is a bit more muted but the feel ...... oh baby!  I love the reaction of my young playing partners when they see one of my classic MacGregors coming out of the bag.  They want to hit it and I always say sure as long as any deformation that happens they pay to refinish my wood.  They ask how much and I say between $150 and $200 just to clean up any scratches or pit marks.   Every time the young kids say thanks but no thanks.  I then tell them to look on eBay and search for persimmon driver and they can get one for little to nothing.  I hope some have and find the love of persimmon like we do.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, RobotDoctor said:

There is a different sound with the ball striking a wooden club.  Instead of the metallic "ting" sound it is more like a "thwock".  I have a few dozen new old stock Titleist Balata golf balls that have lost much compression so the sound is a bit more muted but the feel ...... oh baby!  I love the reaction of my young playing partners when they see one of my classic MacGregors coming out of the bag.  They want to hit it and I always say sure as long as any deformation that happens they pay to refinish my wood.  They ask how much and I say between $150 and $200 just to clean up any scratches or pit marks.   Every time the young kids say thanks but no thanks.  I then tell them to look on eBay and search for persimmon driver and they can get one for little to nothing.  I hope some have and find the love of persimmon like we do.

I've got a sleeve of HT-100s and a dozen Elite 90s that I plan on using sooner rather than later.  Waiting for my game to show some signs of life before I take out the good stuff.  😉

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I've got a sleeve of HT-100s and a dozen Elite 90s that I plan on using sooner rather than later.  Waiting for my game to show some signs of life before I take out the good stuff.  😉

No kidding!!!  My home course (across the street) has been closed due to Covid-19 lock down.  The course might open next week as Colorado is relaxing some of the restriction.  Then I can hit some balls to break off the rust off my old bones and play a few rounds.  Then the Macs and balatas will come out.  Weather forecast next week is mid 70s to low 80s next week with one day reaching 87.  Since I am not working I want to be playing golf!!!

• Like 1

What a great topic!

In the early 80's I was in college and got assigned a roommate that was a golf nut. He convinced me to try and get a set of clubs, as the university 

had its own course and students could buy a pass, for the entire year, as many holes as you could play, for $20!!!!

I mentioned to the parental units, who hooked me up with my recently passed grandfathers clubs. He was good, and normally played 18-36 holes a day when he could, right up until he passed. 

Powerbilt Citation irons, Wilson 1200LT woods, a simple blade putter, don't remember the wedges.

After I graduated, I gave the set to my uncle in a weak moment after hearing him talk about wanting his daddy's clubs. 

I loved that set, and have even priced the irons on ebay. Are 80's vintage Powerbilt irons competitive today?

Man I'm stoopid sometimes.

ksted

• driver: Ping G400
  • 3 wood: Ping G400
  • 5 wood: Ping G400
  • hybrid: Cobra F8
  • irons: Ping G400 4-gw
  • wedges: Cleveland CBX 50, 54, 58
  • putter: Taylormade Patina Del Monte
  • balls:  Srixon Q Star Tour