Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

New clubs after 3 day full bag fitting

This fitting was accomplished in Sep 2019 at TXG

Driver:  Ended up with the M5 12* head, 1.5* open/-.75* loft,  Accra TZ6 55 M4 shaft, and 45" long. I tested the G410, TS3, Epic Flash, F9, and ST190 also. M5 gave me the best numbers and helped eliminate my over draw miss. I also like the moveable weights as I am working on 3 areas of improvement with my driver (1: more swing speed, 2 - less in-out path, 3 - hit up on ball more). The spin is a little too high (around 2900-3000), but I should be able to bring that down if I improve my angle of attack.

Wood:  Ended up with TS3 16.5* head, B1 setting, Accra FX 2.0 370 M4 shaft, and 42.5" long. Also tested TS2, G410, Epic Flash, M6, and ST190. The 16.5* head gives me the slightly higher ball flight I need/want and the moveable weight helps protect against my left miss now with the ability to go back to neutral if needed as I work on my swing. I also love the classic look of TS3.

Hybrid: Unchanged after fitting. Sticking with 818H1 21* head, C1 setting, TENSEI White 90 S shaft, and 40" long. Didn't see any improvement from TS2, G410, or M6 tested. This had only been in the bag a year and was fit for me so no suprise it stayed put.

Irons:  Ended up with Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-PW, PX LZ 5.0 110g shafts, 2* flat, 2* weak, and standard length. Also tested P760, Z785, and T100. I previously played a split set of 7-pw blades and 4-6 iron cavity back. It was time to choose more with my head than my heart and get a little more forgiveness. MP-20 MMC and P760 performed the better than T100 and Z785s so I went with the feel of the Mizunos. I went 2* weak to match the ball flight I am used to seeing and to eliminate some off the offset. I play such a "light" flex shaft because I have a very smooth tempo and the 110g weight proved ideal compared to other weight shafts. This shaft choice was the most surprising part of my new set-up. I am also currently testing an MP-20 MMC 4 iron.

Wedges: T20 50.04, PX LZ 5.0 110g shaft. T20 54.14 and 60.06, PX LZ 5.5 115g shafts. All are 2* flat and 35". Also tested RTX4, SM7, and Glide. RTX4 and T20 performed the best. I have played Cleveland's for over a decade and I practice my short game a lot. So, I went with the T20 to have something different and to use that as motivation to practice short game even more. I originally had low bounce in the 54, but replaced it with high bounce to give myself more flexibility in the short game.

Putter:  Unchanged after fitting. Titleist Newport 2, 33". Made 8/8 putts with good launch monitor numbers. Would have been hard to get me to change this one as it has been performing great for years.

Ball:  Pro V1x. Previously was playing the Pro V1. The extra spin is better for all clubs except fairway wood and driver, but I'm only losing maybe 2-3 yards. That's worth giving up for the extra spin with my irons and wedges. Pro V1 or Pro V1x are both just so good.

:taylormade-small: M5 12* - ACCRA TZ6 55 M4 - 1.5* open, weight back & toe

:titelist-small: TS3 16.5* - ACCRA FX 2.0 370 M4 - B1 setting, neutral weight

:titelist-small: 818 H1 21* - TENSEI White 90 S - C1 setting, neutral weight

:mizuno-small: MP-20 MMC 4-PW - PX LZ 5.0 110g - 2* flat & 2* weak

:mizuno-small: T20 50.07*, 54.12*, 60.06* - PX LZ 5.5 115g - 2* flat

:scotty-small:  Newport 2 - 33"

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

This fitting was accomplished in Sep 2019 at TXG
Driver:  Ended up with the M5 12* head, 1.5* open/-.75* loft,  Accra TZ6 55 M4 shaft, and 45" long. I tested the G410, TS3, Epic Flash, F9, and ST190 also. M5 gave me the best numbers and helped eliminate my over draw miss. I also like the moveable weights as I am working on 3 areas of improvement with my driver (1: more swing speed, 2 - less in-out path, 3 - hit up on ball more). The spin is a little too high (around 2900-3000), but I should be able to bring that down if I improve my angle of attack.
Wood:  Ended up with TS3 16.5* head, B1 setting, Accra FX 2.0 370 M4 shaft, and 42.5" long. Also tested TS2, G410, Epic Flash, M6, and ST190. The 16.5* head gives me the slightly higher ball flight I need/want and the moveable weight helps protect against my left miss now with the ability to go back to neutral if needed as I work on my swing. I also love the classic look of TS3.
Hybrid: Unchanged after fitting. Sticking with 818H1 21* head, C1 setting, TENSEI White 90 S shaft, and 40" long. Didn't see any improvement from TS2, G410, or M6 tested. This had only been in the bag a year and was fit for me so no suprise it stayed put.
Irons:  Ended up with Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-PW, PX LZ 5.0 110g shafts, 2* flat, 2* weak, and standard length. Also tested P760, Z785, and T100. I previously played a split set of 7-pw blades and 4-6 iron cavity back. It was time to choose more with my head than my heart and get a little more forgiveness. MP-20 MMC and P760 performed the better than T100 and Z785s so I went with the feel of the Mizunos. I went 2* weak to match the ball flight I am used to seeing and to eliminate some off the offset. I play such a "light" flex shaft because I have a very smooth tempo and the 110g weight proved ideal compared to other weight shafts. This shaft choice was the most surprising part of my new set-up. I am also currently testing an MP-20 MMC 4 iron.
Wedges: T20 50.04, PX LZ 5.0 110g shaft. T20 54.14 and 60.06, PX LZ 5.5 115g shafts. All are 2* flat and 35". Also tested RTX4, SM7, and Glide. RTX4 and T20 performed the best. I have played Cleveland's for over a decade and I practice my short game a lot. So, I went with the T20 to have something different and to use that as motivation to practice short game even more. I originally had low bounce in the 54, but replaced it with high bounce to give myself more flexibility in the short game.
Putter:  Unchanged after fitting. Titleist Newport 2, 33". Made 8/8 putts with good launch monitor numbers. Would have been hard to get me to change this one as it has been performing great for years.
Ball:  Pro V1x. Previously was playing the Pro V1. The extra spin is better for all clubs except fairway wood and driver, but I'm only losing maybe 2-3 yards. That's worth giving up for the extra spin with my irons and wedges. Pro V1 or Pro V1x are both just so good.
Have you been for before? What was the biggest difference?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

image.png.1415d20f5fde9c8e2717e5529344485f.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

9 minutes ago, benkross said:

Have you been for before? What was the biggest difference?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have been fit for individual parts of my bag, but this was actually my first full bag fitting. It was obvious Ian knew what he was talking about and what he was doing. I like to know the why behind everything and Ian was able to answer every detailed physics/equipment question I had. Ian was great at getting me to turn it up a notch (I had been trying to guide some of my previous clubs instead of swinging freely) and take breaks at the right times even if I didn't want to. If you watch the recent TXG live driver bracket fitting for Matt you will see Ian talk about some of those tricks towards the end. It was like deja vu and I had no idea it was happening at the time.

For driver, I was new to the changeable neck idea. I didn't play hardly any golf from 2010-2015 so I missed that revolution. Ian explained the relationship between loft, lie, and face angle which I had been doping wrong in my already misfit driver I had been using. He also explained the ideal launch conditions for my swing speed/ball flight preferences and how to line up my preferred feel in shaft to get those results. I also though I was getting way too much spin with my driver, but Ian was able to explain how I was only a little to high on spin and how that extra spin would actually benefit my game with my irons and wedges.

For fairway wood, I'm not a great fairway wood player. I hit more balls with fairway woods during the first two days than with driver, irons, wedges, and putter combined. I must have tried over 20 heads/shaft combos. I wasn't' satisfied yet tho and this was the end of my scheduled two days with Ian. So, Ian asked if I could come back the next day before heading out of town. I did and he prep'd 2 other fitters to work with me for 20 mins. Then Ian came over when he was available and we finalized the fit (all of us together). This demonstrated again Ian's commitment to get the fit right. His experience also showed here as the other fitters were coming to the same or very similar recommendations as he did. Ian realized that my not so great fairway wood playing ability was causing me to doubt myself and the fit, but getting the reinforcement from other fitters helped me get over that mental barrier. 4 months on and I love my fairway wood. I could see myself keeping it for a long time. If Ian wouldn't have invited me back for that extra session then I wouldn't have bought the fairway wood and I'm sure I'd still have a fairway in the bag that I never hit because I have no confidence in it.

For irons, I knew I needed more forgiveness than blades, but I love the look of blades (minimal offset, small top line, good feel). So, Ian gave me options in that category and explained that he could weaken the loft to take away some offset while simultaneously matching the loft of blades, but in a more forgiving head. He also put me in a 5.0 flex shaft when I'm stiff flex in everything else. He explained how this particular shaft would not flex too much due to my smooth tempo and getting the right weight was more important for my tempo which this shaft ended up being. Earlier I mentioned that he was getting me to turn it up a notch. Well here is where it paid off. He knew I would be swinging more freely and faster with better fit clubs so he encouraged me to do this in the fit. With that swing I preferred the MP-20 MMCs over the P760s when it was the other way around when I was still a little tentative and a few miles an hour slower. Now I'm so glad that happened because I am no longer having to feel like I'm guiding the club anymore. My iron lie fitting ended up being different than what my current clubs were. Ian had one of the other fitters bend my current set to that spec before I left. I was only going to have those clubs a few more weeks, but again Ian's goal was to give me the best tools possible for those few weeks until my new sticks arrived.

For wedges, I tried a larger Ping head first and I wasn't liking it. I was all over the place with strike point and distances were wild. Ian's experience and ability to pick-up on my game/preferences led him to put a smaller head in next and I did much better. Not because the club was better, but because it was similar to what I used in the past and thus performed better for me. A less experienced fitter probably would have given me an even larger "more forgiving" head. We also discussed bounce a lot (my previous set was all mid bounce) and I even hit some shots off the concrete floor to test out the low bounce 60*.

For putter, this is the best part of my game and my favorite club. I hit 8 puts and Ian broke down the details of each stroke via the data from his putting launch monitor. He then told me we should stop and I shouldn't waste time with other putters. His goal wasn't to sell me something, but rather to ensure I had the best tools. I left with even more confidence in my best club.

I could go on and on and I'm probably forgetting things too.

:taylormade-small: M5 12* - ACCRA TZ6 55 M4 - 1.5* open, weight back & toe

:titelist-small: TS3 16.5* - ACCRA FX 2.0 370 M4 - B1 setting, neutral weight

:titelist-small: 818 H1 21* - TENSEI White 90 S - C1 setting, neutral weight

:mizuno-small: MP-20 MMC 4-PW - PX LZ 5.0 110g - 2* flat & 2* weak

:mizuno-small: T20 50.07*, 54.12*, 60.06* - PX LZ 5.5 115g - 2* flat

:scotty-small:  Newport 2 - 33"

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Thanks for detailed report. It was an awesome read.

:ping-small:  G425 MAX, 10,5°, Fujikura Ventus Blue 60S

:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 10,5°, Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS, 60S

:taylormade-small: The Original One Mini Driver, 13,5°,  Fujikura Ventus Red 70S

:ping-small: G425 MAX 5 wood, 7 wood, Tensei AV Orange 75R

:srixon-small: Z U65 4, Z565 5-6, Z765 7-8 , Z965 9-PW, Project X 5.5,

:ping-small: Glide 4.0, 52°, Z-115, 58°, Z-115

:EVNROLL: ER5, 34'', Gravity Grip