TESTERS WANTED! ×

Are You "Downsizing" Your Bag?

Hoganman1

Many of us are fortunate enough to be able to continue to play golf during this virus outbreak. Our club currently allows rounds as long as you walk and carry your bag. As a 70 year old senior with arthritis, walking and carrying isn't as easy as it once was. Therefore I have temporarily removed several clubs from my bag to make it lighter. I now carry a driver, a four wood and  a seven wood. My irons are a five iron to pitching wedge, a sand wedge and a putter. Also, I have only six balls and a few tees in the pockets. I've found basically removing three clubs helps a lot with the weight so I can go 18 holes.   Are you making changes to your bag?

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

Many of us are fortunate enough to be able to continue to play golf during this virus outbreak. Our club currently allows rounds as long as you walk and carry your bag. As a 70 year old senior with arthritis, walking and carrying isn't as easy as it once was. Therefore I have temporarily removed several clubs from my bag to make it lighter. I now carry a driver, a four wood and  a seven wood. My irons are a five iron to pitching wedge, a sand wedge and a putter. Also, I have only six balls and a few tees in the pockets. I've found basically removing three clubs helps a lot with the weight so I can go 18 holes.   Are you making changes to your bag?

No private push carts allowed?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Not really.  I go minimalist anyways.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

When I walk I go minimalist myself  which can be anything from 7 to 10 clubs.  I also have a really light nylon carry bag ( non stand) . LOL funny thing the OP is Hogan Man. I just switched my walking set from Macgregor FC-400s to my 1954 Hogan Precisions this morning.The Precisions have lighter shafts flex wise

Edited by BIG STU

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

5 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

No private push carts allowed?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Nope. The club rents pull carts, but private carts of any kind are not allowed at any time.  I guess they worry that since carts are re-used during the day they cannot be sterilized during this outbreak.

... I don't think anyone should ever carry a golf bag unless they are getting paid as a caddie. Just my opinion of course but I would never join a club that would not let me use an electric push cart as that is the way I play golf 95% of the time considering it the best of all worlds. Resort or mountain courses are the exception. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

49 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I don't think anyone should ever carry a golf bag unless they are getting paid as a caddie. Just my opinion of course but I would never join a club that would not let me use an electric push cart as that is the way I play golf 95% of the time considering it the best of all worlds. Resort or mountain courses are the exception. 

This rule is in affect due to the Coronavirus outbreak. However, I used to walk and carry all the time. There were many years where I only had maybe ten rounds out of 100 where i took a cart. Now I usually walk nine and ride nine if it's really hot. Once we get through this pandemic I'll probably continue to walk and carry whenever my body let's me.

I have always preferred walking. I did switch to a lighterweight bag (Sun Mountain 2.5), but still carry a full bag of clubs.

My club is very hilly. I think I am the only person who I've seen carry.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

5 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

This rule is in affect due to the Coronavirus outbreak. However, I used to walk and carry all the time. There were many years where I only had maybe ten rounds out of 100 where i took a cart. Now I usually walk nine and ride nine if it's really hot. Once we get through this pandemic I'll probably continue to walk and carry whenever my body let's me.

... Again, just my opinion and I am not making judgements about others. But with the virus it seems like a perfect time to allow members to use their own push carts, including electric and remote controlled push carts. Members take care of their own carts and only they touch them so perfect for the virus concerns. 

... I have posted this many times but talking to my Orthopedic surgeon before my first back surgery in the early '90s and I asked about the double strap the had just come out and he said "I love the double strap because it is gonna put all 3 of my kids thru college".  He went on to say the human back is not designed to carry the kind of uneven load and weight of a golf bag while putting it on and taking not off over and over again. He said for most it will cause back problems, some serious back problems and while a few may get by doing it with no obvious damage, it is really bad for any back. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

There are courses I walk and carry light bag with only number of clubs I know I need based on course knowledge and how my swing is at the time. Should I play a resort course and/or a new track that I am not familiar with I most likely will use a cart (ride) with larger bag and possibly full compliment (14) of clubs.

I've made a few changes since I first posted. I now carry a driver, three wood, five wood, 4 through PW irons, sand wedge and a putter. Still just twelve clubs. Our club is allowing carts now, but I still walk unless it's really hot. It looks like summer is here in NC so I'll probably ride more often. However, I'm playing pretty well right now so I doubt if I make any equipment changes any time soon.

I haven't downsized, still younger and I used to caddy. I am thinking of doing some old school 6 club challenges this year. The 6 would be 3W, 4i, 7i, PW, 54*, and putter. Try to match the old old school mashie/niblick era for lofts.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

• 2 weeks later...
  • Guests
Guest Delete

I haven't downsized because I use a push cart. 

But, I do play a 4 club bag at a local nine hole from time to time. It has a driver, 9 iron, chipper and a Putter. It's a tiny 4" Sunday stand bag. I have also played a 4h, 7i, gap and putter. 

Edited by Delete
Correction

• 6 months later...