TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 MGS Most Wanted Driver Results

null

The return of the king to the throne it appears. 

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Interesting way they displayed the information and results now. All based on a % related to the median. Probably best so people don't argue on the numbers and possibly removes outliers.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

After hitting last years Cobra driver, I'm very surprised to see the 2020 model listed as most Forgiving as everything I've read, doesn't seem like they made any major adjustments.  Maybe it's just my swing characteristics, but I found myself hitting a lot of pulls and hooks with it compared to other drivers on market.  Maybe they've adjusted this year's model as I can't say I have hit it.  

Certainly not surprised by the Ping getting top honors with Callaway trailing.  This quarantine has me considering picking up a used Ping LST as I've wanted one since the G model but just have not pulled the trigger.  I was fit at a demo day early last year for fun, but had just picked up a TS3 a month or two prior.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Well some early results I've seen with TM MAX-D seem to correlate with the results. 

Hopefully we get a swing speed breakdown in a few weeks like we did last year. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

4 hours ago, juspoole said:

After hitting last years Cobra driver, I'm very surprised to see the 2020 model listed as most Forgiving as everything I've read, doesn't seem like they made any major adjustments.  Maybe it's just my swing characteristics, but I found myself hitting a lot of pulls and hooks with it compared to other drivers on market.  Maybe they've adjusted this year's model as I can't say I have hit it.  

... Of course the Cobra Xtreme (rated Most Forgiving) is a different driver than the Speed Zone which is very similar to last years F9. I am playing the Xtreme this season after playing the F9 last year. I would not have upgraded to the SZ because as you stated not any major adjustments, although early reviews from some say it is a little more forgiving. Since my one complaint about the F9 was I wish it were more forgiving, it appears the Xtreme has done just that.

... I have always felt driver testing with the stock shaft makes the testing difficult to make any conclusions since a faster hitting high launch player will have drastically different results than a slower swinging lower launching player, even if they are hitting different flexes. But I was very impressed to read players are actually fit for stock offerings making the tests much more conclusive for a wider range of players. Testing the Ping G410 plus with the Tour 65/75, Alta CB 55, EvenFlow Black 75, Tensei CK Orange and Alta 44 Distanza covers every conceivable style of swing. 👍👍👍 

"We use a fitting process that we call fit from stock.  Drivers are fit to each tester using available stock, no up-charge options from each manufacturer. We test with stamped lofts between 9° and 10.5° and fully utilize the fitting capability within each manufacturer’s lineup. This includes leveraging, loft, lie, and face angle adjustability (hosel), movable weights, and available shafts." 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I'm surprised the announcement of the results didn't crash the site. I also didn't expect Ping to take home the crown considering all the buzz over the SIM and Mavrik. Guess that goes to show that you gotta watch out for the quiet ones. Congrats to Ping, and thank you to all of those that contributed to the testing.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'm surprised the announcement of the results didn't crash the site. I also didn't expect Ping to take home the crown considering all the buzz over the SIM and Mavrik. Guess that goes to show that you gotta watch out for the quiet ones. Congrats to Ping, and thank you to all of those that contributed to the testing.

Not surprising considering the total driving. In pretty much every video for every level G410/LST were exceptional performers regardless of seeing speed and level. Sound and Look are subjective and frankly the only metrics that one could know l knock it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

image.png.1415d20f5fde9c8e2717e5529344485f.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

I liked reading about how the testing process has been improved for this year.

Keeping what works and evolving to provide the best possible data for us.

Nice job and thanks for the hard work

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Surprised to see that the Mavrik SZ was one of the least forgiving drivers. I feel like I have hit many balls VERY off center that maintain ball speed (to the best it should) and go much straighter than any driver I've had previously. It is light years ahead of the Cobra F9 that I had last year in terms of forgiveness.

Driver:     image.png.4b2e2de291c6e3e8a5ad94e9f2919ba6.png Mavrik SZ - GD XC-7X

3 Wood:   image.png.fa4b3f2cf297aab0430b504772faa7d2.png Taylormade SIM - GD AD-DI 7X

Hybrids:  image.png.4b2e2de291c6e3e8a5ad94e9f2919ba6.png Apex 20* - GD AD-DI 95X

Irons:      image.png.4b2e2de291c6e3e8a5ad94e9f2919ba6.png  Apex Pro '19 - DG X100 4-PW

Wedges: image.png.4554f4063a75fadd669e2b2fd26101d8.png SM7

Putter:     Spider X Chalk

Ball:         ProV1

26 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Of course the Cobra Xtreme (rated Most Forgiving) is a different driver than the Speed Zone which is very similar to last years F9.

Ahh....Thank you for that clarification!  And you are correct, at the time of my club champion fitting, the cobra had not released so my trial was not specifically fitted.  It was a shaft that had similar characteristics to my normal game shafts and was not the stock option, but still not the same thing. 

Glad you are finding what you need out of the Extreme.  Hope that continues for you!

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Really surprised the TM SIM was not in there, that was one I had the most interest in. Not in the market as I have the TS2 but still.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

48 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Agreed very surprised that the PING topped it.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Well some early results I've seen with TM MAX-D seem to correlate with the results. 
Hopefully we get a swing speed breakdown in a few weeks like we did last year. 

Looks like someone commented that and the reply is that breakdown by swing speed will be out in the next few weeks.

It was surprising last year to see the differences between overall and and each speed category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Wanted to make sure I am reading this correctly, even after reading the glossary of metrics. This says that the SIM Max (not the Max D) launched 3.23% higher than median and spun 3.15% more than median?

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I have to be blunt and say I dont like the format of this report,  why not just provide the distance in yardages,  i wont even bother reading that chart with just %s,  its of no use to me and I know it will be the same for most.   My 2 cents there.

:taylormade-small: SIM Driver 9* | Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero 3 Wood | Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-20s SEL | Project X LZ 6.0

:callaway-small: Jaws MD5 - 50 Degrees | Dynamic Gold S200

:cleveland-small: RTX 4  56.10 | 60.9 | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

:cameron-small:    Special Select 2020 - Newport 2

:bridgestone-small: Tour Bx 2020

2 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

You may believe this or not.  But history has shown traffic on the MGS site is much higher on weekdays vs weekends, and dips during the week when it's  Government Holiday. See the trend here?   In short, most people are more active on MGS---and other SM sites---when at work than when home.   

So I'm sure with the large number of people who are not in offices but working or quarantined at home had something to do with it.   Along with I'm sure the HQ staff has upgraded or taken steps to prevent overloads like we've seen in the past.    

2 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Really surprised the TM SIM was not in there, that was one I had the most interest in. Not in the market as I have the TS2 but still.

I'm not surprised at all based on my personal  experience.  I had the SIM MAX and it just flat out didn't work for me.  Switched to the SIM MAX-D and went up a whole degree in loft and it was much better.  

It truly is  a driver I would recommned getting fit for versus going off specs from a previous fitting, that simply won't work in this case, IMO. 

12 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

You may believe this or not.  But history has shown traffic on the MGS site is much higher on weekdays vs weekends, and dips during the week when it's  Government Holiday. See the trend here?   In short, most people are more active on MGS---and other SM sites---when at work than when home.   

So I'm sure with the large number of people who are not in offices but working or quarantined at home had something to do with it.   Along with I'm sure the HQ staff has upgraded or taken steps to prevent overloads like we've seen in the past.    

I'm not surprised at all based on my personal  experience.  I had the SIM MAX and it just flat out didn't work for me.  Switched to the SIM MAX-D and went up a whole degree in loft and it was much better.  

It truly is  a driver I would recommned getting fit for versus going off specs from a previous fitting, that simply won't work in this case, IMO. 

What were your issues with the SIM Max, just curious? Was it a right miss?

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I agree that the percentages are a good change as it stops people from getting caught up in exact numbers and moves it to a relative conversation which is really what the test is all about, the comparisons between the drivers.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

... And I imagine we will see yardages when the drivers are broken down to 3 different swing speeds where the numbers will make more sense for any individual. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

14 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Thanks for the response, and I'm actually surprised by that, too. I think it comes from my background working in an automotive factory that I don't get to spend much time on my phone and have been hopping golf content like crazy since I've been at home.

I can't wait to dive deeper into the testing results, as I just read the article without really getting into the table. I just saw a post on Facebook with the shot pattern from testing and all I can say is, wow. It just goes to show the dedication of the MGS staff and testers in giving us the most data driven tests out there.

3 minutes ago, chisag said:

... And I imagine we will see yardages when the drivers are broken down to 3 different swing speeds where the numbers will make more sense for any individual. 

I agree that would be a much better place for yardages, with the testing pool being more homogeneous than the larger test.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Donated $9 to MGS just for giggles.

IMG_0868.thumb.JPG.5ebd7612b73852782c22164637f0c24c.JPGIMG_0869.thumb.JPG.3996f1e54813289f37cbc68482e94c6c.JPG

Not sure another 18 yards is possible with a stock shaft, and for the Mizuno to show “stiff shaft” with a 115 mph swing speed seems unlikely, but would be fun to see!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Military computers and internet connections are so bad that I can't tell if the blurry picture is on purpose or if its just another photo not loading

ikujjyhtgre.PNG.da345afbc7b3816a640f24a5a2efe993.PNG

:taylormade-small: M5 12* - ACCRA TZ6 55 M4 - 1.5* open, weight back & toe

:titelist-small: TS3 16.5* - ACCRA FX 2.0 370 M4 - B1 setting, neutral weight

:titelist-small: 818 H1 21* - TENSEI White 90 S - C1 setting, neutral weight

:mizuno-small: MP-20 MMC 4-PW - PX LZ 5.0 110g - 2* flat & 2* weak

:mizuno-small: T20 50.07*, 54.12*, 60.06* - PX LZ 5.5 115g - 2* flat

:scotty-small:  Newport 2 - 33"

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

26 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

I agree that the percentages are a good change as it stops people from getting caught up in exact numbers and moves it to a relative conversation which is really what the test is all about, the comparisons between the drivers.

I would prefer to see a comparison of static loft to launch angle instead. A couple of the drivers are 14% and 17% for launch which brings the average up and makes many other drivers seem very low launching when they might not be. Or at least a column of the average launch to compare the percentages against.

38 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

What were your issues with the SIM Max, just curious? Was it a right miss?

Mostly too low of launch.  It might have missed a bit more right than left, generally it was pretty straight, just not near high enough.  

21 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Donated $9 to MGS just for giggles.

IMG_0868.thumb.JPG.5ebd7612b73852782c22164637f0c24c.JPGIMG_0869.thumb.JPG.3996f1e54813289f37cbc68482e94c6c.JPG

Not sure another 18 yards is possible with a stock shaft, and for the Mizuno to show “stiff shaft” with a 115 mph swing speed seems unlikely, but would be fun to see!

Seems like Mizuino should be #1 for you based off these numbers. I would be interested to know how the app comes up with the "best" fits.

19 hours ago, lamb said:

I would prefer to see a comparison of static loft to launch angle instead. A couple of the drivers are 14% and 17% for launch which brings the average up and makes many other drivers seem very low launching when they might not be. Or at least a column of the average launch to compare the percentages against.

Though it sounds like based on the article there was a "fit from stock" approach which means different testers were using different lofts and shafts so that might not work. Maybe a metric around the ratio between static loft and launch angle might provide some useful information.

Edited by ejgaudette