Jump to content

2020 MGS Most Wanted Driver Results


Recommended Posts

I agree that the percentages are a good change as it stops people from getting caught up in exact numbers and moves it to a relative conversation which is really what the test is all about, the comparisons between the drivers.

  • Like 4

:SuperSpeed: Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

:cobra-small: Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:Hogan: Equalizer 52° (at 54°)/ 56° (at 58°) KBS Tour V 110 Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small:  Cleveland SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

:ping-small: Hoofer Bag

Right Handed

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

...  OK, if you hit a 3 iron 235 then 98% of us don't care about your problems. In fact we hope your wedges cause a gapping issue!  🤣

I'm surprised the announcement of the results didn't crash the site. I also didn't expect Ping to take home the crown considering all the buzz over the SIM and Mavrik. Guess that goes to show that you

Donated $9 to MGS just for giggles.   Not sure another 18 yards is possible with a stock shaft, and for the Mizuno to show “stiff shaft” with a 115 mph swing speed seems unlikely, but would be fun to

Posted Images

... And I imagine we will see yardages when the drivers are broken down to 3 different swing speeds where the numbers will make more sense for any individual. 

  • Like 3

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max ... Diamana Limited 60R
Fairway:  Cobra SZ 14.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 7S
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
                 Mizuno T20 58* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

You may believe this or not.  But history has shown traffic on the MGS site is much higher on weekdays vs weekends, and dips during the week when it's  Government Holiday. See the trend here?   In short, most people are more active on MGS---and other SM sites---when at work than when home.   

So I'm sure with the large number of people who are not in offices but working or quarantined at home had something to do with it.   Along with I'm sure the HQ staff has upgraded or taken steps to prevent overloads like we've seen in the past.    

I'm not surprised at all based on my personal  experience.  I had the SIM MAX and it just flat out didn't work for me.  Switched to the SIM MAX-D and went up a whole degree in loft and it was much better.  

It truly is  a driver I would recommned getting fit for versus going off specs from a previous fitting, that simply won't work in this case, IMO. 

Thanks for the response, and I'm actually surprised by that, too. I think it comes from my background working in an automotive factory that I don't get to spend much time on my phone and have been hopping golf content like crazy since I've been at home.

 

I can't wait to dive deeper into the testing results, as I just read the article without really getting into the table. I just saw a post on Facebook with the shot pattern from testing and all I can say is, wow. It just goes to show the dedication of the MGS staff and testers in giving us the most data driven tests out there.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, chisag said:

... And I imagine we will see yardages when the drivers are broken down to 3 different swing speeds where the numbers will make more sense for any individual. 

I agree that would be a much better place for yardages, with the testing pool being more homogeneous than the larger test.

  • Like 1

:SuperSpeed: Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

:cobra-small: Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:Hogan: Equalizer 52° (at 54°)/ 56° (at 58°) KBS Tour V 110 Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small:  Cleveland SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

:ping-small: Hoofer Bag

Right Handed

Link to post
Share on other sites

Donated $9 to MGS just for giggles.

IMG_0868.thumb.JPG.5ebd7612b73852782c22164637f0c24c.JPGIMG_0869.thumb.JPG.3996f1e54813289f37cbc68482e94c6c.JPG

 

Not sure another 18 yards is possible with a stock shaft, and for the Mizuno to show “stiff shaft” with a 115 mph swing speed seems unlikely, but would be fun to see!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

 

 

  • Like 8

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy: 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Link to post
Share on other sites

Military computers and internet connections are so bad that I can't tell if the blurry picture is on purpose or if its just another photo not loading

ikujjyhtgre.PNG.da345afbc7b3816a640f24a5a2efe993.PNG

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

:taylormade-small: M5 12* - ACCRA TZ6 55 M4 - 1.5* open, weight back & toe

:titelist-small: TS3 16.5* - ACCRA FX 2.0 370 M4 - B1 setting, neutral weight

:titelist-small: 818 H1 21* - TENSEI White 90 S - C1 setting, neutral weight

:mizuno-small: MP-20 MMC 4-PW - PX LZ 5.0 110g - 2* flat & 2* weak

:mizuno-small: T20 50.07*, 54.12*, 60.06* - PX LZ 5.5 115g - 2* flat

:scotty-small:  Newport 2 - 33"

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

I agree that the percentages are a good change as it stops people from getting caught up in exact numbers and moves it to a relative conversation which is really what the test is all about, the comparisons between the drivers.

I would prefer to see a comparison of static loft to launch angle instead. A couple of the drivers are 14% and 17% for launch which brings the average up and makes many other drivers seem very low launching when they might not be. Or at least a column of the average launch to compare the percentages against.

:taylormade-small: M5 12* - ACCRA TZ6 55 M4 - 1.5* open, weight back & toe

:titelist-small: TS3 16.5* - ACCRA FX 2.0 370 M4 - B1 setting, neutral weight

:titelist-small: 818 H1 21* - TENSEI White 90 S - C1 setting, neutral weight

:mizuno-small: MP-20 MMC 4-PW - PX LZ 5.0 110g - 2* flat & 2* weak

:mizuno-small: T20 50.07*, 54.12*, 60.06* - PX LZ 5.5 115g - 2* flat

:scotty-small:  Newport 2 - 33"

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

What were your issues with the SIM Max, just curious? Was it a right miss?

Mostly too low of launch.  It might have missed a bit more right than left, generally it was pretty straight, just not near high enough.  

  • Like 2

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Donated $9 to MGS just for giggles.

IMG_0868.thumb.JPG.5ebd7612b73852782c22164637f0c24c.JPGIMG_0869.thumb.JPG.3996f1e54813289f37cbc68482e94c6c.JPG

 

Not sure another 18 yards is possible with a stock shaft, and for the Mizuno to show “stiff shaft” with a 115 mph swing speed seems unlikely, but would be fun to see!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

 

 

Seems like Mizuino should be #1 for you based off these numbers. I would be interested to know how the app comes up with the "best" fits.

  • Like 1

:taylormade-small: M5 12* - ACCRA TZ6 55 M4 - 1.5* open, weight back & toe

:titelist-small: TS3 16.5* - ACCRA FX 2.0 370 M4 - B1 setting, neutral weight

:titelist-small: 818 H1 21* - TENSEI White 90 S - C1 setting, neutral weight

:mizuno-small: MP-20 MMC 4-PW - PX LZ 5.0 110g - 2* flat & 2* weak

:mizuno-small: T20 50.07*, 54.12*, 60.06* - PX LZ 5.5 115g - 2* flat

:scotty-small:  Newport 2 - 33"

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, lamb said:

I would prefer to see a comparison of static loft to launch angle instead. A couple of the drivers are 14% and 17% for launch which brings the average up and makes many other drivers seem very low launching when they might not be. Or at least a column of the average launch to compare the percentages against.

Though it sounds like based on the article there was a "fit from stock" approach which means different testers were using different lofts and shafts so that might not work. Maybe a metric around the ratio between static loft and launch angle might provide some useful information.

Edited by ejgaudette
  • Like 1

:SuperSpeed: Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

:cobra-small: Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:Hogan: Equalizer 52° (at 54°)/ 56° (at 58°) KBS Tour V 110 Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small:  Cleveland SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

:ping-small: Hoofer Bag

Right Handed

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, lamb said:

Military computers and internet connections are so bad that I can't tell if the blurry picture is on purpose or if its just another photo not loading

ikujjyhtgre.PNG.da345afbc7b3816a640f24a5a2efe993.PNG

Just a little tease, that the results were in.  

  • Like 2

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

Though it sounds like based on the article there was a "fit from stock" approach which means different testers were using different lofts and shafts so that might not work. Maybe a metric around the ration between static loft and launch angle might provide some useful information.

That would work. Maybe just average all the lofts used and average all the launch angles to give the final ratio.

:taylormade-small: M5 12* - ACCRA TZ6 55 M4 - 1.5* open, weight back & toe

:titelist-small: TS3 16.5* - ACCRA FX 2.0 370 M4 - B1 setting, neutral weight

:titelist-small: 818 H1 21* - TENSEI White 90 S - C1 setting, neutral weight

:mizuno-small: MP-20 MMC 4-PW - PX LZ 5.0 110g - 2* flat & 2* weak

:mizuno-small: T20 50.07*, 54.12*, 60.06* - PX LZ 5.5 115g - 2* flat

:scotty-small:  Newport 2 - 33"

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, lamb said:

That would work. Maybe just average all the lofts used and average all the launch angles to give the final ratio.

Though if we want to get really into the weeds here. Likely should normalize this against the players average launch angle to account for standard shot shape of each tester.

:SuperSpeed: Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

:cobra-small: Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:Hogan: Equalizer 52° (at 54°)/ 56° (at 58°) KBS Tour V 110 Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small:  Cleveland SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

:ping-small: Hoofer Bag

Right Handed

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

You may believe this or not.  But history has shown traffic on the MGS site is much higher on weekdays vs weekends, and dips during the week when it's  Government Holiday. See the trend here?   In short, most people are more active on MGS---and other SM sites---when at work than when home.   

So I'm sure with the large number of people who are not in offices but working or quarantined at home had something to do with it.   Along with I'm sure the HQ staff has upgraded or taken steps to prevent overloads like we've seen in the past.    

I'm not surprised at all based on my personal  experience.  I had the SIM MAX and it just flat out didn't work for me.  Switched to the SIM MAX-D and went up a whole degree in loft and it was much better.  

It truly is  a driver I would recommned getting fit for versus going off specs from a previous fitting, that simply won't work in this case, IMO. 

I like the distraction at work from the mundane. Glad I can be the opposite of the trend!

  • Like 2

Check out my reviews

 :ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

WITB:

 :taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

 :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 SM8 - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125 S :odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate all the time and work put into this. But.... I'm a Titleist guy, so I will probably always play a Titleist driver. I just seem to get along with them. I just bought a new TS3 that I will probably never get to play this year...lol. I did get to play 18 holes with it a few weeks ago.............. Loved it!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ejgaudette said:

Though it sounds like based on the article there was a "fit from stock" approach which means different testers were using different lofts and shafts so that might not work. Maybe a metric around the ration between static loft and launch angle might provide some useful information.

You are correct,  the lofts and shafts were set for based on what worked best for us.  

  • Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Anyone have any plans to make a purchase based on the results released today?


Not this year. What it does however, is reaffirms why I am playing my G400 LST. A product of consistency.
  • Like 3
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

 

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Link to post
Share on other sites

Any word on when the test results with the previous year's winners will be released?  I'm excited to see how the past winners stack up with the latest. 

My bag is a revolving door!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...