Our Sponsors

I just started using the MTBx and love it so far!  

Driver: Titleist Titanium 983K, 10.5, Aldial Green 85-X

FW: Nike Covert VRS 2.0, 15, Kuro Kage 70G

Hybrid: Adams A4 3H, 18,  Rayon Javlnfx h80

Iron: JPX 900 Forged 4-5 JPX 900 Tour 6-PW, Project X 5.5

Wedges:SM7 50 F Grind, 54 S Grind, 60 D Grind

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot 9, Superstroke Flatso 1.0 grip

Ball: Titleist Prov1x

interesting test. I usually alternate balls in between rounds. with the ocassional 2 balls of the tee if there is nobody behind me. Also found the Snell to beat or at worst hold up to the brands I was playing - TP5 and ZStar.

• Driver: :ping-small: G410 Plus 9*, Tensei Orange 60X
  • Hybrids::adams-small:  Super XTD 17* Hybrid Fubuki AX:callaway-small:,  Apex 20* Hybrid, AD-DI 85S
  • Irons: :srixon-small: U85 4I AD DI 95S, Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120s
  • Wedges: :ping-small:: Glide 3.0 52, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter: :EVNROLL:  ER3 @ 33"
  • RH in Phoenix, AZ

I love Snell... they hold up really well compared to the other high end balls.  Vice has been hit or miss for me, and I had a pretty rough time with their customer service the last time I ordered from them.  The next time I make a bulk ball purchase it will be Snell

WITB

Driver: Titleist TS2 10.5º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17º w/ Even Flow

Titleist 816 H1 21º & 25º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Irons (6-PW): Srixon 765 w/ Project X LZ

Wedges: 50º Ping Glide, 54º & 60º PXG 0311

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

I jumped on the Snells this year after playing the ProV1 since it first came out during my high school and college competitive days. The Snells are nice, but I don’t know if the the Black or X is the one for me yet. Still tweaking early season swings and don’t want to throw all of my new Snells into the woods. 

• Like 1

M5 Taylormade w/Hazrds Yellow (small batch)

Ping G410 Hybrid w/Evenflow protoype

Taylormade 4-PW P-750 w/C-Taper Lite 

Taylormade HiToe 50, 54, 60 w/project-x 

Scotty Squareback or Spyder X 

On 3/24/2020 at 8:10 AM, Pingistheanser said:

Id be curious to hear which Vice ball you were using.  Ive played both Snell and Vice and they performed virtually identically for me.  I know that a lot of people buy into the claims from Snell that he designs the balls and has people are Foremost who are constantly checking quality but to be fair, this ball technology is nothing new, which is why all of these DTC companies are able to make 3 and 4-piece balls now.

Definitely agree, I think most of the DTC balls are extremely similar, and for most of nothing discernable 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 1:29 PM, Maccaroni_tiime said:

Definitely agree, I think most of the DTC balls are extremely similar, and for most of nothing discernable 

Amen.  As Ive said several times in the past, I think that much of the hype surrounding Snell is the resume of Dean Snell.  His pedigree is unquestionable but I still question just how much of a hand he actually has in the design and QC of his golf balls.

Whats in my Top-Flite Gamer 2019 cart bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 18*

Hybrid: Top-Flite Gamer 2020 22*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

Putter: Pinemeadow PGX SL

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Amen.  As Ive said several times in the past, I think that much of the hype surrounding Snell is the resume of Dean Snell.  His pedigree is unquestionable but I still question just how much of a hand he actually has in the design and QC of his golf balls.

So you think he is just buying a stock ball and slapping his logo on it???

Mulling this over your statement is fairly ridiculous. He holds more golf ball patents than anyone else. You don't do that by not being the core designer. The person who is theist involved in the balls design. Im not a snell fan boy or even a repeat snell customer. But what you said is ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So you think he is just buying a stock ball and slapping his logo on it???Mulling this over your statement is fairly ridiculous. He holds more golf ball patents than anyone else. You don't do that by not being the core designer. The person who is theist involved in the balls design. Im not a snell fan boy or even a repeat snell customer. But what you said is ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Is it though? Everyone talks about his ball patents but that was a long time ago. FWIW, Quantix could say the same thing but they dont seem to get anywhere near the hype or respect that Snell does.

What more ridiculous, me speculating the Snell may be a catalog ball with a hyped up image or the blind faith that we all seem to give Snell because of Dean Snell's history and resume? Have we seen any new designs from Snell? Have we seen any pictures or video of Snell's qc people at the ball plant in Asia? All we have what Snell tells us and how do we know it's not all just marketing?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Whats in my Top-Flite Gamer 2019 cart bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 18*

Hybrid: Top-Flite Gamer 2020 22*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

Putter: Pinemeadow PGX SL

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

On 5/21/2020 at 6:30 PM, Pingistheanser said:

Is it though? Everyone talks about his ball patents but that was a long time ago. FWIW, Quantix could say the same thing but they dont seem to get anywhere near the hype or respect that Snell does.

What more ridiculous, me speculating the Snell may be a catalog ball with a hyped up image or the blind faith that we all seem to give Snell because of Dean Snell's history and resume? Have we seen any new designs from Snell? Have we seen any pictures or video of Snell's qc people at the ball plant in Asia? All we have what Snell tells us and how do we know it's not all just marketing?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

There is no comparison of resumes here. The person in the Quantix marketing is Lauro (Larry) Cadorniga who has not been employed by a major golf OEM since 1995 according to his LinkedIn resume and whose only ball patents are related to RF tracking of a golf ball (there are also 6 other names on those patents). Also the CEO of Quantix is fresh out of college and apparently has just rebranded the remnants of one of his Dad’s former companies (Larry and his dad apparently worked together in the past). 

Dean Snell on the other hand was leading TaylorMade ball R&D as recently as 2015 (won’t even mention his time at Acushnet since that was over 20 years ago). During his time there he helped establish the Nassau factory in South Korea where the MTB models are produced which TaylorMade also uses for core/mantle assemblies to this day. Dean’s name is on over 70 granted or pending patents related to golf balls and the majority are still active (1-2 other names on each patent).

His reputation absolutely helps sell balls, but much of the hype for the MTB balls minus the MTB Red is legit (MTB X is the only X type ball that I have been able to tolerate the feel of). Are these likely a generic white label model? Quite possible that the MTB Red was given that it was a different factory and TPU cover but the Nassau MTBs don’t follow suit especially considering that Nassau has stopped that practice for USDM DTCs due to legal threat (Costco really caused that but Dean is able to continue given that his names are on the patents in question not to mention his past relationship with TaylorMade). I have no idea if Dean actually has employees in South Korea but I’ll take him at his word (if you think pics/video somehow legitimizes this in someway keep in mind that Vice put together a video of Vice balls coming off the line at the Foremost factory even though they do not directly employ any of those people, have any stake in the factory beyond customer, not have much/if any involvement in the actual design).

• Like 4

:titelist-small:  915D3

:titelist-small:  909F2

:titelist-small:  690.CB

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5

:ping-small:  iWi D66

My issue with Vice balls has always been durability, lots of scuffs and dings

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft