TESTERS WANTED! ×

Stingers

jaeger256

Is there a way to limit the vibration from thin hits via club head or maybe a shaft? Just started playing again after 5 years off due to car wreck. My left wrist is trash at the moment, working on strengthening etc etc. My first round this past Sunday (89) put me waiting on my wrist to stop throbbing after miss hits (thin) stingers. My current clubs are old XPC 2000 from Goldsmith with Aldila Low Torque Light flex shafts. I'm working on getting things together for a proper fitting and new clubs, but was wondering on which club heads or shafts  might help limit the stinger feel on miss hits.Thanks in advance.

Well, I would try tightening my grip on shots like that, but it could be a number of things.  My first guess would be the wrong flex in the shaft.  Perhaps the shaft is too stiff, but again, without seeing what you are doing, it's really like trying to find a piece of chicken in the kitchen in the dark.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

If you want less vibration graphite shafts or sensicore shaft inserts are the way to reduce them.  Club heads aren’t necessarily going to reduce them. Proper compression of the golf ball on contact will and anything that’s not perfect contact will have some level of feedback up thru the shaft. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

If I remember correctly, that setup is from the mid to late 90’s. Just like anything else, technology in grips, shafts and heads are light years ahead of what is now 30+ years old.

Those graphite shafts you’re using now have been improved upon several times and during that fitting, you’ll see that many grip / shaft combos will feel far smoother.

Keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

6 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

If you want less vibration graphite shafts or sensicore shaft inserts are the way to reduce them.  Club heads aren’t necessarily going to reduce them. Proper compression of the golf ball on contact will and anything that’s not perfect contact will have some level of feedback up thru the shaft. 

Exactly what I was going to say. This would probably be your best bet.

Edited by GB13

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the link to the prosoft foam inserts sold by The Golfworks. 
https://www.golfworks.com/prosoft-shaft-dampening-inserts/p/ps5000/?

Graphite would likely be your best bet in the long term if you are looking to reduce vibration. Like the above posts said, there are tons of good graphite options these days. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

I've certainly hit my fair (or unfair) share of thins and other crappy shots. I have not once felt a "stinger". I have all my irons shafted with AeroTech SF i80-R shafts. I'd guess any quality graphite type shaft might be something you should consider. You might also like some of those spongie Winn grips. I don't but they might help you and be worth trying perhaps.

Good luck with your wrist.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 4:37 PM, PlaidJacket said:

You might also like some of those spongie Winn grips

I agree with the Winn grips, have a set on my bladed cobra irons and they help with the mishit stinging sensation you mentioned.

:cobra-small: F7 Driver

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ 3 and 5 wood

:cobra-small: F9 irons 5 thru GW

:cobra-small: King Black Wedges 52/56/60

On 3/24/2020 at 11:28 AM, jaeger256 said:

Is there a way to limit the vibration from thin hits via club head or maybe a shaft? Just started playing again after 5 years off due to car wreck. My left wrist is trash at the moment, working on strengthening etc etc. My first round this past Sunday (89) put me waiting on my wrist to stop throbbing after miss hits (thin) stingers. My current clubs are old XPC 2000 from Goldsmith with Aldila Low Torque Light flex shafts. I'm working on getting things together for a proper fitting and new clubs, but was wondering on which club heads or shafts  might help limit the stinger feel on miss hits.Thanks in advance.

As stated later definitely give the inserts a try if you are looking to hold onto steel shafts. if not get the graphite shafts and the inserts. With that  you should be good to go. It will cost more though for graphite shafts.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions on grips. Just ordered a few Winn Dri Tac's to test out. New shaft's probably would hurt either lol. My wrist being trash is the biggest issue. Found a sport wrap hat's helping alot.

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 3/24/2020 at 9:28 AM, jaeger256 said:

It looks like you already have graphite shafts which is the best thing to mitigate stingers. But, a soft ball and soft grip are two others. 

Of course the smart ass knows the best was to avoid stingers is to hit the ball pure. I more forgiving head might be a way to hit more solid shots. An example is the Ping G clubs.