Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Does Your Putter Have to Look Good?

TShaffer

100% Absolutely. If you have an ugly putter , but performs, in the back of your mind you will always have that  thought  of "damn it wasn't so damn ugly". Eventually you will make that putter perform bad so  you can get rid of it. 
Its like you dating that not as hot girl or guy (for those equal opportunity daters) , nice personality , funny. BUT... you rather go with the hot one. We are all very shallow about putting. 🤣🤣

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50 (Terra Forza White Shaft Testing)
3 -Wood:  Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag

I wouldn't say a putter needs to be good looking to everyone, but it should probably look to good to the individual using it. If you don't like the look of your putter in some way then it becomes far too easy IMO to fall out of love with the way it performs. You could simply lose your touch for a period and give up on the putter quickly because you have zero reason to hold onto it, but if you like the way it looks then finding a replacement becomes just that little bit more difficult. 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

On 7/12/2020 at 9:51 AM, silver & black said:

Very nice! I'm curious about the wood used for the far right one... Bubinga... Padauk? I'm a Cabinetmaker and I've used a lot of exotics over the years.

Left to right - Macassar Ebony, Bolivian Rosewood and Afzelia Burl (from Laos). I have one in Bubinga (African Rosewood) and a ton of blanks resting in storage. I used blanks 1"x2"x4" to make the heads. I got a great deal on a piece of Bubinga that was a full 2'x8'x48' back in '99 (still wasn't cheap, but very popular). I ended up making a Media PC Case out of some of it as well as some putters. Great wood to work with.

BT

On 7/14/2020 at 2:31 PM, MrBandit said:

100% Absolutely. If you have an ugly putter , but performs, in the back of your mind you will always have that  thought  of "damn it wasn't so damn ugly". Eventually you will make that putter perform bad so  you can get rid of it. 
Its like you dating that not as hot girl or guy (for those equal opportunity daters) , nice personality , funny. BUT... you rather go with the hot one. We are all very shallow about putting. 🤣🤣

Not all of us. I started using a TM Spider Tour S last fall. I have never liked the look of them but whenever I tried a friends, boy did it roll well. So I invested $56 in a Ghost version off ebay to give one a try, sanded it down and painted it black. (it was white and badly chipped up) Still don't like the look of it but it doesn't bother me a bit because it works GREAT for me.

Driver:    Titliest TSi3 - Tensei white stiff
Wood:   PING  G425 LST 14.5* - Tensei orange stiff
Hybrid:   PING  G425 19* - Tensei orange stiff
Irons:    PING i525 - Project X I/O 5.5 - 4-W
Wedges:     Taylormade MG3 52* and HiToe 56* Project X I/O 6.0
Putter:  TM Spider X HYDROBLAST (33", 3* upright)

I just bought a new putter. One I laughed at when I walked in. Odyssey Triple Track. I hate gimmicks and thought very little of the latest one from Callaway (Triple Track balls and putters). I still refuse to use the balls as I don’t use a lineup line. The putter is in my bag for the foreseeable future. 

I hate the red and blue stripes.  I hate the micro hinges in the insert. The bottom looks dumb. And STILL, with all that hate, the putter works. Freakishly well. I bought the Triple Track double wide flow with the midsized grip. The looks still have not grown on me, but the putter flat out works well. Great feel, very consistent distance control. I am now much more confident over a put than I ever have been. 

34 minutes ago, shadow0861 said:

I just bought a new putter. One I laughed at when I walked in. Odyssey Triple Track. I hate gimmicks and thought very little of the latest one from Callaway (Triple Track balls and putters). I still refuse to use the balls as I don’t use a lineup line. The putter is in my bag for the foreseeable future. 

I hate the red and blue stripes.  I hate the micro hinges in the insert. The bottom looks dumb. And STILL, with all that hate, the putter works. Freakishly well. I bought the Triple Track double wide flow with the midsized grip. The looks still have not grown on me, but the putter flat out works well. Great feel, very consistent distance control. I am now much more confident over a put than I ever have been. 

It’s funny that it doesn’t fit your eye but works. I had a similar issue....bettinardi BB39 hate mallets just doesn’t look good to me standing over the ball. I lined up probabky 20’putts during a fitting with it....drained them all.

the fitter said it’s funny several people have said similar things and it just worked for some reason. I got over the ball and it was just money every time. Granted straight putts but 10’ straight putts are not “good” by any means

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I've been putting with a Ping G2i Craz-e since 2005.  It looks like a vacuum cleaner attachment.  It's also kept its place in the bag for 15 years now.  It makes putts and upsets other people.  What could be better?  It also has not seen the inside of a putter cover since I got it home.

My older daughter plays a Ghost Monza (the one with the hole).  She touches it up with white refrigerator paint from time to time.  They are smooth looking putters, but they ding up way too easily.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2020 at 10:39 AM, Josh Ross said:

I used to say I would never game the L.A.B. Directed Force because it looked so awkward. I didn't even know anything about it, just saw them and laughed. The other day I decided to test one out and the technology in that thing is absolutely undeniable for me. So, I have one on the way. I hit every single intended mark and as long as I read the green correctly I shouldn't be missing many putts.

I can now confirm that this thing feels like cheating to me. Every single putt starts on the intended line and I'm holing more mid to long range putts. Anything short is automatic.

In my Vessel-removebg-preview.png.afd31301c874ee24a33a6c5f06f4ab98.png Lux XV Cart Bag:
Driver: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5° Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 VII Stiff
Utility: callaway-golf-vector-logo-removebg-preview.png.1467fda9195e29c96aa5066f048e91b9.png Apex UW 17° and 19° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 6.0
4 Hybrid: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png KING LTDx 21° KBS PGI 85 Stiff
Irons: image.png.66179558e8e55b8b35b741c037395846.png ZX5/ZX7 Project X LZ 6.0
Wedges: image.png.620c54f7108fefbf49a94ba169f19081.png 2.0 49°, 53°, 57° Project X LZ 6.0
Putter: L.A.B. DF3 34"/67°
Ball: MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour (Thanks MGS for allowing me to test these!)

Check out my Official MGS Reviews Below!
:skycaddie: LX5 Watch - Link Here!

MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour and TourX Golf Balls - Link Here!

image.png.28a3be9c497202cfc8176faecf8777ad.png Approach S70 Watch - Link Here!

I've had Scottys, Odysseys and recently bought a TM Spider X (Bronze one). I desperately want the Spider to work for me but I have kept reverting back to an old TM Rossa Monza, I just feel that I get so much better pace with it and with the metal face the sound is better for me. IMG_4244.thumb.JPG.43b6fb9e18e3e90815a99727c0ea1eb5.JPG 

Last couple of weeks was looking at the TM Truss TM2 which I tried but it is an ugly looking thing so I was looking to try the TM1 when I stumbled across a McGregor MACTEC X 002, it is heel weighted and at the moment is working beautifully, my putting stats are looking great, bridie count has gone from zero to 3 to 4 a round. All for 20% of the price of the Truss

MACPUT111-MACTEC-X-PUTTER-MODEL-2-1100X1000-800x800.jpg

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

• 1 month later...

I prefer putters that have simple looks in regards to the number of bends at the neck  and with less aiming lines painted on top of the head. (Less busy).  One thing I notice is that how the putter looks sitting on the display floor can be very different when I set to putt behind  the putter   I really don’t know if the putter fits my eye unless I  roll a few.   I spotted few putters I though was “ugly” at first glance that was surprising accurate rolling on the putting green.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2020 at 1:19 AM, chisag said:

... Last summer my son borrowed my 33" 8802 style putter without telling me and I was forced to get one from the clubhouse. All they had was this beat up 35" Tour Edge radically designed mallet in white paint, chipped all to he!!. I had no choice so I made the best of it and shot a 2 under 70 holing every makable putt. Balance was off, grip was wrong and it was way too long but I just focused on every putt and it obviously worked out well. But I have no illusions that that would last because the first time I missed a few makable putts the ugly TE would be getting the blame. And of course it should because it did not fit my gate stroke or my eye.

... And that is probably true for most golfers. As long as you are hitting something well that does not look good to your eye, you can live with it. But as soon as you start hitting poor shots, it is only natural to blame something that doesn't look like it can accomplish the task at hand. It doesn't have to be beautiful but it can't be ugly. 

Couldn`t agree more. Putter should be like your second hand primary, and then look well. Nevertheless everything need to be in balance...Especially your level of game and relevant putter

Just attach it here. Enjoy the wonderfull landscape of my motherlad - Bavaria🙂

Yours sincerely,

David

61f442bc8e8216e711f2c055e3b5d69f.jpg

On 3/24/2020 at 7:43 PM, dlow206 said:

Somehow I only buy putters that cost $300 and up (at least MSRP)

😞

OMG. I’m not the only one. We should start a therapy group. 

A good Golfer is someone who loves the game and all that comes with it.  A good Player is someone who can score.

Not all players are good golfers.  Be a good Golfer.

• Driver - Taylormade TSi 3
  • 3W - Titlest 917 F
  • 3H - Taylormade Sim2 19.5
  • 4H - Taylormade Sim2 22.5
  • 5-P - In Transition
  • 50/54/58 - Titlest SM 8
  • Putter(s) - Ping Vault Voss / Ping Milled Anser / Odyssey Tour Black series #8 / Ping Vault 2 B60 / Scotty Cameraon Newport 2 Button Back  (I HAVE ISSUES WITH PUTTERS!!!!!)

• 3 years later...

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder, I just ordered the ugliest putter I can remember ever having. Its a L.A.B. Green DF3 with Black Accra 34" as I thought no way would I try the DF2 as being ugly is one thing but I don't want something huge as that is why I went for the DF3, much smaller. I did own a Machine putter that was pretty ugly but more different than anything. If this DF3 putts as good as they hype it up I see this being a putter that will stay in my bag for 2024. I have 6 weeks to it arrives so time will tell

Edited by RangerGrey

Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym Ai Smoke Max D w/:Fuji: Speeder NX Blue 50

3W: :callaway-small:  Paradym Ai Smoke Max D w/GD AD CQ5

5/7 W: :callaway-small:  Paradym w/ :projectx:HZRDS 60

all woods have CPX grips

5 thru PW : 😍 :ping-small: BP S w/ i70 SteelFiber black Label PR shafts

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  RTX 6 Full face 48*, 54* w/ i95 SteelFiber shafts

All irons have WINN DRI-TAC LT grips

Puter: :L.A.B.: GREEN DF3 w/Black 34" w/ BGT Stability ONE w/Press II 3 grip

(Back-up):EVNROLL:  E2 34" w/ BGT Stability Fire shaft midsize Black Pure Grip

I mean I use a L.A.B. MEZZ MAX so yeah! It looks amazing!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I have yet to label a putter as ugly.  I ha e used other adjectives though to describe how they look. Monstrosity,  deformed, ridiculous,  Charlie brown, ghetto, slick, stylish, wow!  You get the idea.

The notion to some is that if it works well for them, and can disrupt other people, than it's doing its job.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I got to agree with @GolfSpy_APH because my gamer is the L.A.B. DF2.1!  If I cared about looks, it might not have been on the radar screen.  

The big issue with putter looks (and in too many of life's interactions) beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I think it may have more of an impact on the negative side.  If you think it's ugly and you'll likely assume that it doesn't function well either.  If you think you're going to miss a putt, there's a great chance that you will.  Therefore, the ugly putter not working is a self-fulfilling prophecy.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

I don't care what it looks like if it works well for me. I loved my Ping Doc 17 putter that was huge and now have the LAB DF2.1 and it isn't going anywhere. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

The looks of my putter don’t mean much to me if it performs. I had a blade putter then switched to a mid mallet putter and now a mallet putter. The Cobra Supernova has a lot going on, is it aesthetically pleasing? Absolutely not for everyone. To me, it rolls putts well. So I don’t care what it looks like. If I find an even uglier putter that rolls better and helps my putting, you best bet your bottom dollar is get it to replace my Cobra

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

Yes, and no. Maybe not so much look good, but suit my eye. 

My cobra blade is kinda fugly, but I like how it looks behind the ball.

• Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (44.5", Draw setting)
  • 3-Wood: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
  • 3-Utility: :Sub70: 699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 5.5 flex
  • Irons: :titleist-small: T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.25”, 1° upright)
  • Wedges:  Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
  • Putter:cobra-small: King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen: Quad Tour Taper grip
  • Bag: :cobra-small: Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
  • Push Cart: :BagBoy: Nitron, Black/Red
  • Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift

2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)

-TJ

2 hours ago, barney_bogey said:

My putter doesn't have to look good but it HAS to be able to pick up a ball. Only criteria besides fitting the eye.

B

Yeah, I missed that feature on my previous putters

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Putter is one of those things that I feel you have to like how it looks as you stare at it behind the ball more than any other club. I need to be able to get confidence from that but hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder so who cares what playing partners think as long as you like it. My Odyssey Tank isn't winning any beauty awards but the solidity is has for me is the best thing about it. Whatever works for you!  

D - Callaway X 416

3 Hybrid - Mizuno JPX850

Irons - Mizuno MPH4 5-PW

54deg Vokey SM7

50deg & 58 deg Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full-Face

P - Odyssey Tank 2 ball