Does Your Putter Have to Look Good?

Our Sponsors

On 3/25/2020 at 8:16 AM, Mr. 82 said:

I probably made a thread out of this some time ago, but frankly, I post too much here, so I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for it, but I have a 20+ year old Tour Edge mallet putter that I paid like $25 for back in the day that I put back in the back last year for awhile and was putting really good with it.  I had a new Winn Grip put on it, and gamed it for awhile and I went around telling everyone what I paid for it, especially when they were all buying $400+ putters and putting worse than I was.

Disclosure, I went out and bought a $200 brand new PING Sigma2 Tyne putter that I currently game, and I absolutely love it.  But it looks as nice as anything, and I putt really well with it.

What am I trying to say to you?  Looks will play a part in the equation, but it ain't everything to me, that is for sure.  It's the feel the putter gives you that inspires confidence that will make you feel like a better putter.  For me the results always speak for themselves.  if I putt good with a 20 year old putter that has chipped paint and scratches and dents all over the place, well, I will wear that sucker out.  But a new putter had a better feel and look to it, and I love the fact that I can adjust the shaft up and down between 32 and 36 inches.  I seem to putt a lot better with my new one, so it is what it is.

Ultimately, if you are asking these questions, you will probably end up getting something else.  But will you putt better with it?  Test them out a lot and go with what helps you hole the most putts.  Because at the end of the day, the scorecard does not have any pictures.

What are the main performance-based factors you would consider when looking for a putter, then?  Specifically, on the high end of the price spectrum?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've always said that if I could make more putts with a brick tied to a broom stick that is what I would use.  If I'm making them the putter always looks good to me.    Personally I like the white Gho

Late to the party, but thought I would throw my $.02 in. Obviously, a putter doesn't have to look good to perform. But then it doesn't perform by itself! It works along with the golfer and the th

... Last summer my son borrowed my 33" 8802 style putter without telling me and I was forced to get one from the clubhouse. All they had was this beat up 35" Tour Edge radically designed mallet in whi

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

Late to the party, but thought I would throw my $.02 in.

Obviously, a putter doesn't have to look good to perform. But then it doesn't perform by itself! It works along with the golfer and the things important to the golfer make a difference in the performance of the equipment. Some of us want something that looks good when we look down at it. I am one of those people. These are my putters. Milled face, face balanced and properly weighted for my stroke. I designed them, built them and have used them since '99. All will need refinishing in the next year or two, but they still turn heads. They are heel/toe weighted mid-mallets with the main body made from various exotic woods. The wood part was actually hollowed out and filled with basswood which is extremely light, but rigid enough to play the part of the core of a putter. I built these back when Carbite was coming out with their high MOI putters. I never had these heads tested, but would like to.

BTW, just in case anyone is wondering, I submitted one to the USGA and have paperwork stating that they conform to the rules of golf.

BT

The Putters 50%.jpg

Edited by RI_Redneck
  • Like 7
16 minutes ago, RI_Redneck said:

Obviously, a putter doesn't have to look good to perform. But then it doesn't perform by itself! It works along with the golfer and the things important to the golfer make a difference in the performance of the equipment. Some of us want something that looks good when we look down at it. I am one of those people. These are my putters. Milled face, face balanced and properly weighted for my stroke. I designed them, built them and have used them since '99.

BT

The Putters 50%.jpg

Now that is crafty right there. Those things are pretty smooth I will say, I would putt with those bad larrys

Follow my overall Vegan transition here

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke VS Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Obviously, a putter doesn't have to look good to perform. But then it doesn't perform by itself! It works along with the golfer and the things important to the golfer make a difference in the performance of the equipment. Some of us want something that looks good when we look down at it. I am one of those people. These are my putters. Milled face, face balanced and properly weighted for my stroke. I designed them, built them and have used them since '99. All will need refinishing in the next year or two, but they still turn heads. They are heel/toe weighted mid-mallets with the main body made from various exotic woods. The wood part was actually hollowed out and filled with basswood which is extremely light, but rigid enough to play the part of the core of a putter. I built these back when Carbite was coming out with their high MOI putters. I never had these heads tested, but would like to.
BTW, just in case anyone is wondering, I submitted one to the USGA and have paperwork stating that they conform to the rules of golf.
BT

527586771_ThePutters50.jpg.eab208693db7e719fd1a82b274e089ed.jpg

And I thought I was one of the few that appreciated a putter carved from wood.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIMG_1270.jpg
  • Like 2

In the Bag for 2020

PXG 0811XF Gen 2 10.5* (set at 9*) AD VR 6x

PXG 0341X Gen 2 15* AD TP 7x

PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* KBS Proto 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 4-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:rife-putters-1: Two Bar Blade Long 47"

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2020 at 8:43 PM, dlow206 said:

Somehow I only buy putters that cost $300 and up (at least MSRP)

😞

Curious - have you felt that all of those have been worth the investment?  Any specific models that you have been really happy with?

8 minutes ago, wesmith4 said:

Curious - have you felt that all of those have been worth the investment?  Any specific models that you have been really happy with?

I would say its more about the type of putter that fits me best (at least I think fits me best). I prefer wide blades that are close to face balanced (some Squareback models, Queen B6, etc.). 

Within that category, there are a number of different putters available at various price ranges. If there are two putters, one that is $99 and one that is $500, and they have very similar specs, I am guessing they will both perform about the same for me, maybe some slight advantage to the $500 if it has some specific tech. But the $500 putter is more likely to be fully milled, made in the USA, etc., and I am willing to pay the premium for that in the putter.

I think of it like handbags. You can buy a no name purse, a Coach, a Louis Vuitton, etc., all of the same style, mainly just a difference in branding on the outside. They all serve the same purpose and equally function as well. Its ok to buy the more expensive one if you can afford it, but you shouldn't expect it to perform better because its more expensive.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

On 7/1/2020 at 9:09 AM, RI_Redneck said:

BT

The Putters 50%.jpg

Very nice! I'm curious about the wood used for the far right one... Bubinga... Padauk? I'm a Cabinetmaker and I've used a lot of exotics over the years.

Edited by silver & black
BT

527586771_ThePutters50.jpg.eab208693db7e719fd1a82b274e089ed.jpg

I’d roll one of those. Beautiful work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

WITB:

Louisville Smart Persimmon Driver

Louisville Niblick Persimmon 3 & 5 woods

Hogan UIHI 4-iron*

Hogan PTx Pro 5-7*

Hogan Icon 8-PW*

KZG 51 gap wedge

KZG 56 sand wedge

Rife Legend Z Putter

*denotes clubs being tested

I used to say I would never game the L.A.B. Directed Force because it looked so awkward. I didn't even know anything about it, just saw them and laughed. The other day I decided to test one out and the technology in that thing is absolutely undeniable for me. So, I have one on the way. I hit every single intended mark and as long as I read the green correctly I shouldn't be missing many putts.

• Like 2

Driver: :755178188_TourEdge: EXS 220 9.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60 6.0
3 Wood: :cobra-small: SpeedZone 14.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 6.0
3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2017 CLK 19° Fujikura Speeder Evolution HB Stiff
4 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 22° Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Stiff
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Forged 5-9, JPX 921 Tour PW Project X LZ 6.0 Blackout Edition
Wedges: Edison Forged 49°, 53°, 57°
Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 34"
Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

Currently Testing: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

1 hour ago, Josh Ross said:

I used to say I would never game the L.A.B. Directed Force because it looked so awkward. I didn't even know anything about it, just saw them and laughed. The other day I decided to test one out and the technology in that thing is absolutely undeniable for me. So, I have one on the way. I hit every single intended mark and as long as I read the green correctly I shouldn't be missing many putts.

That is exactly how I felt regarding the Odyssey TT #10 I game now. A year ago I would have bet a lot that I would never game that putter. Funny what making a lot putts will do to one . 😃

• Like 2

100% Absolutely. If you have an ugly putter , but performs, in the back of your mind you will always have that  thought  of "damn it wasn't so damn ugly". Eventually you will make that putter perform bad so  you can get rid of it. 
Its like you dating that not as hot girl or guy (for those equal opportunity daters) , nice personality , funny. BUT... you rather go with the hot one. We are all very shallow about putting. 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Driver:  PING G410 LST 9.0 with Tensei CK Orange 60 Stiff default_ping-small.jpg.62d91fcab0128559ee9cd64c6d3475c7.jpg
3 -Wood: Cobra King SZ with Tensei AV Blue Stiffdefault_cobra-small.jpg.fe55fcb2de7dcedd8bb9bda0d7fa56d0.jpg
4-Hybrid: Cobra King F9 Hybriddefault_cobra-small.jpg.fe55fcb2de7dcedd8bb9bda0d7fa56d0.jpg
Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC - 6-PW , w/SteelFiber i125default_mizuno-small.jpg.b7e121701aadd867e399bdb2331c9f9f.jpg
WedgesCleveland RTX 4 RAW - , 56, 60, Mizuno S18 Black - 50default_cleveland-small.jpg.2c2c62516a68ba0ca825f7d94c148b86.jpgdefault_mizuno-small.jpg.b7e121701aadd867e399bdb2331c9f9f.jpg
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven S, 34indefault_odyssey-small.jpg.f16592ebb9519a37e13eebf6fc6df625.jpg
BallsTaylorMade TPx  & Snell MTB-X-default_taylormade-small.jpg.261501bbee0fcd6ea098dc3e15da16eb.jpgSnell.png.18a1bb82d2d821ebf109e429f025552d.png

Currently Testing:skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I wouldn't say a putter needs to be good looking to everyone, but it should probably look to good to the individual using it. If you don't like the look of your putter in some way then it becomes far too easy IMO to fall out of love with the way it performs. You could simply lose your touch for a period and give up on the putter quickly because you have zero reason to hold onto it, but if you like the way it looks then finding a replacement becomes just that little bit more difficult. 

• Like 1

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

On 7/12/2020 at 9:51 AM, silver & black said:

Very nice! I'm curious about the wood used for the far right one... Bubinga... Padauk? I'm a Cabinetmaker and I've used a lot of exotics over the years.

Left to right - Macassar Ebony, Bolivian Rosewood and Afzelia Burl (from Laos). I have one in Bubinga (African Rosewood) and a ton of blanks resting in storage. I used blanks 1"x2"x4" to make the heads. I got a great deal on a piece of Bubinga that was a full 2'x8'x48' back in '99 (still wasn't cheap, but very popular). I ended up making a Media PC Case out of some of it as well as some putters. Great wood to work with.

BT

• Like 1
On 7/14/2020 at 2:31 PM, MrBandit said:

100% Absolutely. If you have an ugly putter , but performs, in the back of your mind you will always have that  thought  of "damn it wasn't so damn ugly". Eventually you will make that putter perform bad so  you can get rid of it. 
Its like you dating that not as hot girl or guy (for those equal opportunity daters) , nice personality , funny. BUT... you rather go with the hot one. We are all very shallow about putting. 🤣🤣

Not all of us. I started using a TM Spider Tour S last fall. I have never liked the look of them but whenever I tried a friends, boy did it roll well. So I invested $56 in a Ghost version off ebay to give one a try, sanded it down and painted it black. (it was white and badly chipped up) Still don't like the look of it but it doesn't bother me a bit because it works GREAT for me.

• Like 1

Driver:    PING  G400 LST 8.5* - Fubuki ZT

Wood:   PING  G Stretch 13* - PING Tour 65

Hybrids:   PING  G 17* + 22* - PING Alta

Irons:    :callaway-small: Apex CF16 - Project X S - 5-P

Wedges:     :cleveland-small:  RTX-3 50* MG, 56* LG, 60* LG

Putter:  SeeMore Mini Giant Tour LTD #038

I just bought a new putter. One I laughed at when I walked in. Odyssey Triple Track. I hate gimmicks and thought very little of the latest one from Callaway (Triple Track balls and putters). I still refuse to use the balls as I don’t use a lineup line. The putter is in my bag for the foreseeable future. 

I hate the red and blue stripes.  I hate the micro hinges in the insert. The bottom looks dumb. And STILL, with all that hate, the putter works. Freakishly well. I bought the Triple Track double wide flow with the midsized grip. The looks still have not grown on me, but the putter flat out works well. Great feel, very consistent distance control. I am now much more confident over a put than I ever have been. 

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, shadow0861 said:

I just bought a new putter. One I laughed at when I walked in. Odyssey Triple Track. I hate gimmicks and thought very little of the latest one from Callaway (Triple Track balls and putters). I still refuse to use the balls as I don’t use a lineup line. The putter is in my bag for the foreseeable future. 

I hate the red and blue stripes.  I hate the micro hinges in the insert. The bottom looks dumb. And STILL, with all that hate, the putter works. Freakishly well. I bought the Triple Track double wide flow with the midsized grip. The looks still have not grown on me, but the putter flat out works well. Great feel, very consistent distance control. I am now much more confident over a put than I ever have been. 

It’s funny that it doesn’t fit your eye but works. I had a similar issue....bettinardi BB39 hate mallets just doesn’t look good to me standing over the ball. I lined up probabky 20’putts during a fitting with it....drained them all.

the fitter said it’s funny several people have said similar things and it just worked for some reason. I got over the ball and it was just money every time. Granted straight putts but 10’ straight putts are not “good” by any means

• Like 1

Follow my overall Vegan transition here

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke VS Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

I've been putting with a Ping G2i Craz-e since 2005.  It looks like a vacuum cleaner attachment.  It's also kept its place in the bag for 15 years now.  It makes putts and upsets other people.  What could be better?  It also has not seen the inside of a putter cover since I got it home.

My older daughter plays a Ghost Monza (the one with the hole).  She touches it up with white refrigerator paint from time to time.  They are smooth looking putters, but they ding up way too easily.

• Like 1

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Iron - :mizuno-small: FliHi (18*) - Recoil 760 ( S )
4i - GW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
SW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2020 at 10:39 AM, Josh Ross said:

I can now confirm that this thing feels like cheating to me. Every single putt starts on the intended line and I'm holing more mid to long range putts. Anything short is automatic.

• Like 1

Driver: :755178188_TourEdge: EXS 220 9.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60 6.0
3 Wood: :cobra-small: SpeedZone 14.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 6.0
3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2017 CLK 19° Fujikura Speeder Evolution HB Stiff
4 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 22° Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Stiff
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Forged 5-9, JPX 921 Tour PW Project X LZ 6.0 Blackout Edition
Wedges: Edison Forged 49°, 53°, 57°
Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 34"
Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

Currently Testing: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I've had Scottys, Odysseys and recently bought a TM Spider X (Bronze one). I desperately want the Spider to work for me but I have kept reverting back to an old TM Rossa Monza, I just feel that I get so much better pace with it and with the metal face the sound is better for me. IMG_4244.thumb.JPG.43b6fb9e18e3e90815a99727c0ea1eb5.JPG 

Last couple of weeks was looking at the TM Truss TM2 which I tried but it is an ugly looking thing so I was looking to try the TM1 when I stumbled across a McGregor MACTEC X 002, it is heel weighted and at the moment is working beautifully, my putting stats are looking great, bridie count has gone from zero to 3 to 4 a round. All for 20% of the price of the Truss

MACPUT111-MACTEC-X-PUTTER-MODEL-2-1100X1000-800x800.jpg

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag