TESTERS WANTED! ×

What is a best brand of golf apparel? & Why are golf clothes so expensive?

haimen

I am looking for golf apparel of favorite brand for men, women & kids. There is a great number of Golf Apparel brands like Adidas, Puma, Under Armour and much more.  But I don't know, which one is the best. How one can get all this collection at best prices guaranteed! Guys please help me to give your best answers for my both questions.

1) What is a best brand of golf apparel?

2) Why are golf clothes so expensive?

3) How can I get coupon codes for shoes?

Edited by haimen

4 hours ago, haimen said:

I am looking for golf apparel of favorite brand for men, women & kids. There is a great number of Golf Apparel brands like Adidas, Puma, Under Armour and much more.  But I don't know, which one is the best. How one can get all this collection at best prices guaranteed! Guys please help me to give your best answers for my both questions.

1) What is a best brand of golf apparel?

2) Why are golf clothes so expensive?

3) How can I get coupon codes for shoes?

Like equipment, last year's 'models' are heavily discounted. Before everything shut down like Golf Galaxy, you could find FJ shoes from last yer at a substantial discount - they also had  several racks of name brand shirts like Nike at big discounts as well. As to best brands - that's a personal decision based on quality and fit. I have different brands of shirts and shorts in my closet - none particularly stand out over the other. As to shoes, I stick to FJ only because I don't even have to try them on before I leave the shoe. They fit and wear well for me. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I think any of the name brands are fine, and I agree that the Hogan shirts are just as good quality at a way lower price. Personally I like Adidas and Under Armor the best. I actually like the Haggar golf pants/shorts the best. If there's an outlet store near you they often run 2/$50 sales.

I think there's another point to consider too. Most of what's at golf retail is gonna run you $50-$75 per clothing item, I think. So are the premium brands like Peter Millar or Polo's RLX line that can run over $100 per item actually better? To many its probably suggestive, but I feel like the answer should be a resounding no.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Best is subjective. Some will love a brand and others will hate it. Best is whateve works for you in looks, performance and cost. I personally think some of the best brands are Peter Millar, Galvin Green, J Lindeberg, lulelemon. They also happen to be the expensive ones. Functional brands that have multipurpose appeal at lower prices are the typical athletic brands like Nike, puma, Adidas and even old navy.

Expensive is also subjective. I think the expensive brands I mentioned are expensive for I also don’t mind paying the price so to me they aren’t that expensive. But to answer the question for some it’s the materials, cost to manufacture, ship, etc. But also you are paying for the name. 

Coupons are easy to find. Subscribe to emails from the various brands or retailers and get the coupons from them or check out their sales. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Footjoy and Peter Millar shirts are by FAR my favorites! Yep, they’re expensive, and I do pay full price for a Millar if I’m at a club where I want a shirt to remember the round. Valhalla, Sandpiper in CA, Barton Creek, etc, I go right to the Millar area.
Footjoys can ALWAYS be found at a discount online. Will they be less than $45? Not likely, but for as long as they last, and how well they hold-up wash-after-wash, they’re worth $50-$60 to me. I wear them for work, primarily, so I need to have something that looks professional and wears well.
Yep, I can find cheaper, and sometimes I do buy the $20 shirt for the 100* summer days on the course, but for something I wear day-to-day, it’s got to be high quality.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Unscientific but my favorites are (what I have most of):

• Pants & shorts - Callaway (hon mention Adidas)
  • Polos - Nike (hon mention Under Armour)
  • Foulies - Foot Joy (cheap rain gear is a waste of money if you plan to actually keep playing in the rain, I do within reason).
  • Shoes - Foot Joy, but I need to give something else a try. Planned to buy Adidas 360 Tour Boost last year but they rubbed my ankle bone (medial malleolus) the wrong way. Never Sketchers due to chronic IP theft.

They’re expensive, so I shop sales and Steinmart when I can.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Footjoy is by far my favorite in outwear, polos and shoes.   Puma a close second in all areas.

Shorts,  I've had the best luck in my sizing with UA and Adidas  

Like PMookie, I love Peter Millar for special shirts from nice courses/resorts

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Personally, I'll discount shop at places like Ross and TJ Maxx for polos. I've been able to find deals on Adidas, Puma, and Nike around $21.

I agree with @tony@CIC when it comes to shoes. I'm subscribed to the email list for a lot of the major retailers and finding deals on shoes is pretty easy. It seems like I get a load of notifications a day on sales. My big issue is fit, I want to be able to try the shoe on before buying.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

A different take on the topic: 

Why is it that I can hardly ever find 'athletic fit' for shirts, even at our Pro shop? On a rare occasion I'll find FJ or Nike in that slim fit and being on sale is an added plus. Also why are all of the long pants in a 31 or 32 inseam even on line??? I've got a long waist - meaning shorter legs so 28" inseam is ideal. I have to spend an additional $5.00 to get the pants shortened. First world problem! 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

14 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

A different take on the topic: 

Why is it that I can hardly ever find 'athletic fit' for shirts, even at our Pro shop? On a rare occasion I'll find FJ or Nike in that slim fit and being on sale is an added plus. Also why are all of the long pants in a 31 or 32 inseam even on line??? I've got a long waist - meaning shorter legs so 28" inseam is ideal. I have to spend an additional $5.00 to get the pants shortened. First world problem! 

Hard to find the athletic fit because the large amount of non athletic builds who golf. It’s one of the reasons I’ve gravitated towards j lindeberg and PM tour fit. Rlx is also a good brand with athletic fit tops and bottoms.

like you I have to search for shorter pants. Puma, jl, rlx and bonobos have been brads I’ve seen with best selection for shorter legs

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I have different opinions for different pieces of clothing. IMO every golf clothing option has to have some level of spandex and stretch to it. That could be partially because I've gained a couple lbs but it just feels better haha. Personally I think Adidas makes the best golf pants, I wear those all the time. Nike makes the best polos in terms of style and fit. Nike also makes the best hats in terms of fit and longevity. Shoes I would go with FJ or Adidas, currently rocking some cheaper Ades that fit my wide feet nicely.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

... Why so expensive? Corporate profits for CEO's, board members and stock holders. In 1965 the CEO to worker salary ratio was about 20 times higher, today it is around 370 times higher. Reduce that number back down to something reasonable with equal reductions to board members and the prices could drop quite a bit. Granted that was a different era when the focus was on the middle class and keeping people employed on a salary that was able to support buying a home, while today it is all about profits for those on top. 

... I remember in the mid 60's when the CEO of Sears where my Mom worked, would show up at the company picnic and knew many of the managers by name. Participated in 3 legged races, etc and valued their employees. Sadly this virus is certainly showing us just how much more valuable workers are than CEO's and board members. Without workers there are no CEO's. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Hard to find the athletic fit because the large amount of non athletic builds who golf. It’s one of the reasons I’ve gravitated towards j lindeberg and PM tour fit. Rlx is also a good brand with athletic fit tops and bottoms.
like you I have to search for shorter pants. Puma, jl, rlx and bonobos have been brads I’ve seen with best selection for shorter legs

Forgot to add J Lindeberg! Folks wouldn’t be used to their fit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 hours ago, tchat07 said:

I have different opinions for different pieces of clothing. IMO every golf clothing option has to have some level of spandex and stretch to it. That could be partially because I've gained a couple lbs but it just feels better haha. 

... A pet peeve of mine is:

• Silicone gripper on inner waistband to prevent shirts from coming untucked

... and while that may be a feature appreciated by overweight golfers, those of us in good shape just get shorts that ride up our body on every swing. If golfers actually like this feature, I have no problem with Hagen and others offering it, but at least give us the option of not including it with our shorts. My own fault because I did not go to a store and try them on, but I bought 4 pair on sale when my Dicks Scorecard bonus was about to expire and they are all unwearable. 

20 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Forgot to add J Lindeberg! Folks wouldn’t be used to their fit!

They do have a funny fit in their shorts and pants. The shirts are typical euro cut which I like the shorter length sleeves

They do have a funny fit in their shorts and pants. The shirts are typical euro cut which I like the shorter length sleeves

Same here. I tried the pants, but couldn’t do it. Too tight. Look back at how long guys like Hal Sutton and Tiger were wearing their sleeves, and a Lindeberg looks like a tank top!

IMG_0966.PNGIMG_0967.JPG

6 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Same here. I tried the pants, but couldn’t do it. Too tight. Look back at how long guys like Hal Sutton and Tiger were wearing their sleeves, and a Lindeberg looks like a tank top!

IMG_0966.PNGIMG_0967.JPG

The elbow long sleeves were the jam back in the day. 😀

the pants even with the non athletic fit models are tight. The shorts seem to be hit or miss depending on model. 

Greg Norman golf attire is not only affordable and available, it is also the easiest to wash & wear. They come out of the dryer with no wrinkles.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I’m pretty much all in on FootJoy and Under Armour. I have several FJ that are close to 10 years old that haven’t faded, collars won’t roll and no pilling.

These two fit me the best and are worth the extra $

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

One piece of clothing no one has mentioned are socks. I have yet to find an ideal brand of low cut socks for a size 12 shoe . They're either too small or ride down on my heel. FJ's tech socks work if you don't mind a hole in the toe after a couple of weeks at the other end of the $$ spectrum are Hanes which also fit but look like rags after a few washings.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

1 minute ago, tony@CIC said:

One piece of clothing no one has mentioned are socks. I have yet to find an ideal brand of low cut socks for a size 12 shoe . They're either too small or ride down on my heel. FJ's tech socks work if you don't mind a hole in the toe after a couple of weeks at the other end of the $$ spectrum are Hanes which also fit but look like rags after a few washings.

Kentwool and stance 

I like Three Sixty Six, small brand, polos and pullovers for under $40

2021 WITB

Driver: Cobra F9

3 wood: Callaway Rogue

Hybrid: Cobra Baffler Rail H

Irons: Ping S56

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore

Putter: Ping Sigma G Kushin

Ball: TaylorMade Tour Response

Bombas
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I second RBPR Kentwool, and add a Swiftwick if one likes a thinner, yet absorbent ankle sock

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

... I am a lifelong Thorlo guy but I tried Strideline and they are really nice if you like a little thinner sock that has a little more compression than Thorlo. The Mrs and my 28 yr old wear them.

https://www.strideline.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgLqf6LC56AIVFMDICh0yhQIIEAAYASAAEgL4dfD_BwE

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

I like Bombas Performance socks.... fit nicer than the Kentwools, IMO.  I wear a size 12 shoe.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I'm very much partial to the Nike TW Collection when it comes to shirts. I've tried a fair amount of other polos but I always come back to the TW shirts. For me, the Tiger collection of polos just tend to offer a better range of motion without restriction than any other polo I've tried.

Yeah, they're expensive but apart from an issue with a washing machine tearing a hole in the sleeve on one of my TW shirts, I still have every single one I've ever gotten and they're all in more than good condition, although I'm a bit too large for a few of them at the moment.

Admittedly there's also the added bonus that I share initials with Tiger so it's kind of cool having the TW logo on my clothes. Plus it's Tiger. He's the reason I'm as into golf as I am.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

Just go to Belk and pay about $25 or less for their Pro Tour line of shirts and shorts.  I'd be naked without the clothes I bought at Belk.

And as others have said, there ain't nothing wrong with the Ben Hogan line that you can find at Wal Mart.  I bought a couple pair of golf pants and polo shirts there for about $75 I think.  I mean, if you can tell the difference between that stuff and the $75 shirt in the pro shop, then good for you, but for what you paid for one shirt with a logo on it, I got 2 shirts and 2 pair of shorts (or pants) for the same price.  And the quality is just as good, because I'm still wearing the stuff I bought at Belk and Wal Mart that I bought years ago.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS