haimen

What is a best brand of golf apparel? & Why are golf clothes so expensive?

Our Sponsors

I’m pretty much all in on FootJoy and Under Armour. I have several FJ that are close to 10 years old that haven’t faded, collars won’t roll and no pilling.

These two fit me the best and are worth the extra $

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

One piece of clothing no one has mentioned are socks. I have yet to find an ideal brand of low cut socks for a size 12 shoe . They're either too small or ride down on my heel. FJ's tech socks work if you don't mind a hole in the toe after a couple of weeks at the other end of the $$ spectrum are Hanes which also fit but look like rags after a few washings.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tony@CIC said:

One piece of clothing no one has mentioned are socks. I have yet to find an ideal brand of low cut socks for a size 12 shoe . They're either too small or ride down on my heel. FJ's tech socks work if you don't mind a hole in the toe after a couple of weeks at the other end of the $$ spectrum are Hanes which also fit but look like rags after a few washings.

Kentwool and stance 

• Like 2

I like Three Sixty Six, small brand, polos and pullovers for under $40

Bombas

I second RBPR Kentwool, and add a Swiftwick if one likes a thinner, yet absorbent ankle sock

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

... I am a lifelong Thorlo guy but I tried Strideline and they are really nice if you like a little thinner sock that has a little more compression than Thorlo. The Mrs and my 28 yr old wear them.

https://www.strideline.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgLqf6LC56AIVFMDICh0yhQIIEAAYASAAEgL4dfD_BwE

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

I like Bombas Performance socks.... fit nicer than the Kentwools, IMO.  I wear a size 12 shoe.

I'm very much partial to the Nike TW Collection when it comes to shirts. I've tried a fair amount of other polos but I always come back to the TW shirts. For me, the Tiger collection of polos just tend to offer a better range of motion without restriction than any other polo I've tried.

Yeah, they're expensive but apart from an issue with a washing machine tearing a hole in the sleeve on one of my TW shirts, I still have every single one I've ever gotten and they're all in more than good condition, although I'm a bit too large for a few of them at the moment.

Admittedly there's also the added bonus that I share initials with Tiger so it's kind of cool having the TW logo on my clothes. Plus it's Tiger. He's the reason I'm as into golf as I am.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Just go to Belk and pay about $25 or less for their Pro Tour line of shirts and shorts.  I'd be naked without the clothes I bought at Belk.

And as others have said, there ain't nothing wrong with the Ben Hogan line that you can find at Wal Mart.  I bought a couple pair of golf pants and polo shirts there for about $75 I think.  I mean, if you can tell the difference between that stuff and the $75 shirt in the pro shop, then good for you, but for what you paid for one shirt with a logo on it, I got 2 shirts and 2 pair of shorts (or pants) for the same price.  And the quality is just as good, because I'm still wearing the stuff I bought at Belk and Wal Mart that I bought years ago.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Retrogolfer36 said:

Best is really a subjective thing.  I really like Underarmour polos but theyre expensive.  I really like the Hogan branded polos that Wal-Mart sells.  Theyre good quality and are dirt cheap.  I buy a lot of my golf clothes at Kohls because the prices are cheap and the clothes are decent quality.

Hi Retrogolfer,

Underarmour Polos are too expensive. I have not any experience with Hogan brand. Let me try its Polos. Yes WalMart and Kohls are biggest departmental stores. They take stock in Bulk and then sell at discount prices. I have a very good experience with Kohls. It is one of the great marketplace, where you will get all clothing items at one place with a quality. I always get regular and seasonal discounts at Kohls through exclusive coupon codes. I always keep visiting this coupon website CouponGot.com to get amazing discounts at Kohls store. I hope that you will now get maximum discount on this store, while purchasing clothes for your favorite ones.

Under Armour socks I've developed wear holes in them before they lose their elasticity.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I actually like Adidas and Under Armour shirts.  I do have a few Under Armour shirts tha,t after a few wears, seem to have developed snags.  I also like Nike shirts but they seem a bit more tight for my rotund figure 😄

MDGolfHacker

Shoes - Adidas Tour Boost - I have four pairs I rotate, fit well and I like the stability.

Socks - Darn Tough - I look for the highest wool content, my feet might sweat but I don’t know until I take my shoes off.  Wear these for golf as well as casual wear.  Lifetime warranty against wear, put Smartwool to shame.  Available in different sizes.

Shirts - I have tried to stay with cotton but availability of quality cotton shirts with a slim fit has become almost impossible to find.  I don’t want to pay $300+ for a golf shirt.  I tried some performance fabrics from Travis Mathew, Puma (sized down and still baggy),  Galvin Green and J Lindeberg.  All other brands fit like a tent.  Tried the new shirts over the winter when practicing and combination of best fit and most comfortable when sweating was J Lindeberg.  Ordered some some through their website when they were blowing out 2019 models and average price shipped to my door was around $70 Canadian.  We’ll see how they are on the course this summer.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 8:03 AM, Mr. 82 said:

Just go to Belk and pay about $25 or less for their Pro Tour line of shirts and shorts.  I'd be naked without the clothes I bought at Belk.

And as others have said, there ain't nothing wrong with the Ben Hogan line that you can find at Wal Mart.  I bought a couple pair of golf pants and polo shirts there for about $75 I think.  I mean, if you can tell the difference between that stuff and the $75 shirt in the pro shop, then good for you, but for what you paid for one shirt with a logo on it, I got 2 shirts and 2 pair of shorts (or pants) for the same price.  And the quality is just as good, because I'm still wearing the stuff I bought at Belk and Wal Mart that I bought years ago.

Yep. 95% of all my golf clothes are Hogan brand. You can't beat the price and the quality is pretty darn good.

I like to look decent when I leave the house for business or pleasure - golf for example here. I'm not a fashion guy meaning;  I don't seek out the most trendy brands or labels etc. Men's clothing doesn't really change all that much IMO. (think about having to keep women in clothes for example 🤑) I'll purchase more expensive clothing such as a suit or dress shoes because in my case they are worn less often and the styles I choose are timeless pretty much. For everyday golf clothing/casual wear I shop frequently at SteinMart. At my local store they carry a ton of golf clothing. And no... I have yet to find a shirt or pair of pants where the sleeve or leg is shorter than the other. LOL This store carries many brands you'd know that at one time sold for $65-$85 each. Nicklaus, Norman, Callaway, Polo, RLS, Nike*, Bole, Hogan, Byron Nelson, and many others. Some findings are "boutique" brands. I'm quite sure most of this stuff are last years or older designs. Who cares!? I just can't shell-out for an Under Armor or other popular and current names for $65, $75, $85+ a shirt. Like many of you I can afford those prices... but why? I guess I just don't care to spend money that way and on those types of products. To me it just doesn't make sense. So, instead of paying top retail dollars at $65+ a pop I buy nice looking shirts and shorts etc for $29-$39 or less. Who'd know? And what do I care if they do know.

*I have vowed to never purchase or use anything made by Nike or with their logo on it. Ever!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The markup on these items are crazy, but they get away with it.  I usually purchase older season gear unless there it a something that comes along that I really enjoy.  Also, I find many  of the items on eBay that are new and incredibly discounted.  It's rare that I spend over $40 for any clothing item and may times $30 or less.

Some of my favorite brands include:

Peter Millar (the featherweight polos are exceptional)

Greyson/RLX (some nice understated prints or patterns to be found) ie Bay Hill polo and an Indian Creek polo

Under Armour 1/4 Zips (Best fit and functionality for me)

Adidas Ultimate pants and shorts

Under Amour shorts (mix nicely for casual and golf)

Travis Mathew (more for work as the fit is really flattering for me). There trifecta pants for casual wear are wonderful as well.

Much of what others have said, I could certainly wear as well.  FootJoy, Under Armour, Adidas, Nike all make high quality golf gear.  For the shirts, I want to ensure that it's got some stretch to it and more of a poly blend shirt that I feel comfortable and that I look good in. 

Some have said, they do not like the pants/shorts with silicone gripper, but I will ensure that my pants/shorts have it.  I'm in fairly good shape and wear a 34/35 in pants with a muscular build and it keeps the shirts tucked in so much better than just a belt.  

Edited by juspoole

... I am a 34 waist too, and the silicone gripper certainly keeps my shirt tucked in, but I look like this after every swing:

Ed+Grimley.jpg

• Like 4

Socks - Darn Tough - I look for the highest wool content, my feet might sweat but I don’t know until I take my shoes off.  Wear these for golf as well as casual wear.  Lifetime warranty against wear, put Smartwool to shame.  Available in different sizes.

Another vote for Darn Tough socks. I discovered them 5yrs ago, bought a half dozen on sale. None have worn out.

Bought my son and son-in-law some as well. They are converts also.