Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Club Suggestions 20 handicap

Guest FL_Mullet

• Guests
Guest FL_Mullet

Hello everyone I hope this is in the correct sub-forum.

Little about myself I'm a former high school player, like many, who used to be a 6 handicap.  I'm 34 now and have started playing off and on again with glimpses of my former self but really a 20 or so handicap and I doubt I'll be improving much with only playing once a month or so.  With that sad I've come to the realization my old clubs just aren't as forgiving as I need.

I'm 6'2" with about a 110mph swing.  I hit the ball long and high, but tend to be left or right of the green by about 10 feet.  Looking to minimize the mishits, however most of the "game improvement clubs" I read about on mygolfspy all talk about helping you get the ball in the air which is not a concern, if anything my ball flight can be a bit too high at times.  Just looking for something that will help those shots that are slightly off target be a little less off target.  I was thinking of a used set of Taylormade RSI 1s.  

Any opinions or suggestions?

Your best bet is to find a good club fitter. Try everything that the fitter suggests. Look at the launch monitor numbers and see what you like the looks of. Pick the ones that you hit the best and look good to you at address.

:titelist-small: TSi2 9.0 GD DI-6X

:titelist-small: TSi3 15 / 18.0 GD DI-6X

:titelist-small: TSi3H 20° (set for 22)

:titelist-small: CNCPT 5i-48°

:vokey-small: SM8 52° / 58°

:cameron-small: Fastback 1.0 Circle T

A couple of things to keep in mind. Most game improvement clubs these days have some jacked up lofts on them so the only way they stop on greens is by high launch. In your searches, look for more traditionally lofted clubs if you can, somewhere around 33-35 for 7 iron.

Another big factor in launch will be the type of shafts you have on the club. If you go to a fitter and they don't have you try out some different shaft options ask them to. The same club with different shafts can have huge differences in ball flight.

Definitely fitter. There were things I had no idea about for me or would have even considered.....it’s worth every penny for long term purchase.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Handicap means nothing. We all get to our handicaps differently. 

Find a fitter with good reviews who has good word of mouth reputation and whatever fits you and your game is the best choice 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Definitely fitter. There were things I had no idea about for me or would have even considered.....it’s worth every penny for long term purchase.

And a fitting is a lot cheaper then buying clubs that don't work for you.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Seeing a fitter as everyone recommended is obviously the best thing to do if your budget allows. Even if you're buying used clubs that you can't customize, you will at least know what length and lie angle you should be shopping for. Most of the big box golf specialty stores will probably get you some measurements for length and lie angle if you go in and tell them you're looking for new clubs. That way you can at least be shopping for something that fits as you may have a much more limited selection if you can't use standard length/lie clubs or you can figure in the cost of getting what you buy adjusted properly.

What is your budget and what are you currently playing?

Edited by ChitownM2

I am 6’3” and 100mph driver swing speed.

I was continuosly missing my approach right. Went for a fitting and i was fitted +1/2’ ans 2up.

it changed my life...

so as everyone advice... go for a good fitting! And after that use those specs and shop for a great deal 🙂

:ping-small: G400 9.0 Alta CB 55g stiff

:ping-small: G400 3W Alta CB 65g stiff

:Sub70: Fairway Pro 5W Ust Mamiya V2 black stiff

:Sub70: 839X 4h Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: 639cb 5-PW Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: Forged Wedge  50.7 Kbs TGI80

:callaway-small: MD4 56.8, 60.12

PXG Bat Attack

:Snell: MTB-X