Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Grip4orce Grip Trainer - REVIEW

Grip4orceReview

DSCN0128.JPG

Introduction

I am very impatient. I'm always looking for ways to be faster, more efficient, and more effective in almost everything that I do, particularly in my workouts. When I first saw a picture of Grip4orce, I knew this was a product that was designed for someone who wanted to get more done in less time. Grip4orce is simply a rubber grip that you put over your barbells, dumbbells, cables, etc that will help you improve your grip strength while you're doing other lifts. The question, as always, is: does it work? Read on for the answer, spies…

DSCN0129.JPG

Ease of Use/Set Up – 20 Points

Set up really couldn't be easier: take the rubber grips and push them over the grip on your lifting apparatus. When you're done, pop them off. There are no tools involved, just push on and pull off. Easy.

The Grip4orcecan also be used by itself as a grip trainer. Again, there is no set up at all, you simply squeeze the Grip4orce.

Score: 20/20

DSCN0132.JPG

Effectiveness – 20 points

Let's start with the quick summary: Grip4orce is VERY EFFECTIVE.

Jim, the owner of Grip4orce, sent both the stiff and regular versions of Grip4orce for this test. He included a note saying, “Most golfers use the stiff for independent grip training and the regular for use with weights.” I rolled my eyes a bit at what seemed to be an underestimation of my strength, but I went ahead with his recommendation. Long story short: the regular Grip4orce was plenty of resistance for this golfer, and I lift three to four times per week. The added burn and intensity is truly remarkable. I used the Grip4orce for all different types of exercises: rows, curls, presses, squats, and it made me focus more on every rep.

It should be noted that the added burn/pump is not limited to the forearm, but actually seems to extend all the way up to the shoulder. I noticed that after a workout with the Grip4orce my biceps and triceps were much more fatigued than normal, despite the fact that I had not changed my workout.

As I mentioned earlier, Grip4orce can also be used as a standalone grip trainer. I keep the stiff pair in my car for use during my commute, and I have found them to be much more effective than the spring-loaded grip trainers that I have been using for a long time. In addition to being more effective, the Grip4orce is more comfortable to use and is easier to use at different angles.

In conclusion, after only two weeks of using the Grip4orce I have seen marked improvements in my grip strength. My forearms are thicker, my grip is stronger, and I feel less prone to the minor wrist injuries I used to have regularly. As a golfer, this will translate into fewer injuries and hitting the ball farther, both of which I like.

DSCN0133.JPG

Longevity – 20 points

The brilliance of Grip4orce is that it does not ask you do anything other than your normal workout routine, you simply do your normal workout with the Grip4orce grips on your weights. I can see no reason why I would ever not use Grip4orce, unless one day I go to my basement saying, “Hmmm, how can I make today's workout less effective?” If you own Grip4orce and you work out, you will use it because you will love the burn and the results, simple as that.

DSCN0159.JPG

Value – 20 points

Grip4orce costs $35. It is worth every penny and then some. There are many products that I've reviewed that I have liked, but probably wouldn't pay for. This is NOT one of them. If I ever lose my Grip4orce, or if my dog decides to chew them to bits, I will be buying another set immediately.

DSCN0160.JPG

The Peanut Gallery – 20 points

To make sure that I wasn't just imagining the added burn that Grip4orce provides, I lent Grip4orce to some coworkers and had some people try a couple lifts with them in my home. The reaction was the same every time: “How can this little piece of rubber make my forearms burn so much?” Everyone in the Peanut Gallery was impressed with the simplicity and effectiveness of this product, and they were even more impressed with the price. While I didn't ask them, I do expect that those with regular lifting routines have a high likelihood of purchasing Grip4orce for themselves.

DSCN0163.JPG

Final Thoughts

The true essence of a brilliant product is simplicity. Anyone can make a Rube Goldberg device that will give you a great workout, but to make something that is simple to use, inexpensive, and very effective is true genius. That is exactly what Jim Hartman has done withGrip4orce, and I am pleased to give it my first ever perfect score.

Score: 100/100

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

so it's basically squeeze as hard as you can while you do the normal workout?

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

so it's basically squeeze as hard as you can while you do the normal workout?

Not necessarily squeeze as hard as you can, but squeeze hard enough to keep the grip on the lifting apparatus.

From talking to Jim, I learned that the idea of "thick bar" (I think that's the term he used) training has been around for a long time and has been shown to be effective. The problem is the added cost of either having two sets of weights, or switching from standard to thick grips. This offers the advantages for very little cost.

I will be adding a video review when my schedule syncs up with my camerawoman's, hopefully this weekend.

• 1 month later...

One note about the video review:

At one point I mention that if you lose your grip the weight will fall out of your hand. This was meant more as a joking comment, not a statement of fact. I've never had a weight fall out of my hand with the Grip4orce. It just occurred to me while watching it that this comment might discourage someone from using it, and I would hate for someone to feel that way based on a silly off-hand comment.

Archived