TESTERS WANTED! ×

How do you judge a range session as successful?

I am only a 6 hour drive or so from there but that is the week of the school play for my kids with the cast party on Friday night. I would like to see the racks in person too.

Getting the putter before then would be some consolation, but it would be kind of fun to have it finished and there so the putterheads can see it before it comes to me.

Next year I am going to really try and lock down the dates for the trip. I have to see if my head is bigger than TJ's.

Your head vs. TJ's for all time PutterHEAD bragging rights. I'll need to be there for the official measurements. Are we measuring volume or circumference? FWIW, neither of you could possibly compare to Pete Gillen.

For me, I don't take too much stock during the winter because hitting off matts is nothing like grass and therefore my goal there is just keep my swing on life support until the start of the season.

I like going to the dome because it gives me confidence heading into the season and I don't have to waste valuable in-season time shaking the rust off. I totally agree that there is a limit to what you can do in a dome, and I certainly don't love mats, but it's 100% better than nothing.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could have a new definition...

Any time I don't leave limping, or hurt.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

How many balls do you guys usually hit in a session?

More balls with bad technique is bad, but how many will satisfy you as having actually practiced?

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

More balls with bad technique is bad, but how many will satisfy you as having actually practiced?

I usually opt for the small bucket. I don't want to hit too many or I will get too loose and sloppy. Sloppiness is the enemy of the golfer.

Probably not more than about 50. I'm satisfied by the amount of really good shots I hit, not the quantity of them, so I don't like to beat away. I find that if I have a big big bucket, I hit without focus and inevitably hit until I'm disinterested and hitting bad shots.

• SPY VIP

So I just finished off a large bucket primarily with the 7i. 90 balls with the 7 at least. Trying to groove the slow and powerful feeling from earlier in the week.

Little sore now after 4 hours in the car today too.

Got a bit loose at the end, so I just hit the 58*/14* at the close green. Yes that is a non burner wedge. Used in ok shape. Does seem like too much bounce to become the under 50 yard magic wand...

Volvo Intorqueo

So I just finished off a large bucket primarily with the 7i. 90 balls with the 7 at least. Trying to groove the slow and powerful feeling from earlier in the week.

Little sore now after 4 hours in the car today too.

Got a bit loose at the end, so I just hit the 58*/14* at the close green. Yes that is a non burner wedge. Used in ok shape. Does seem like too much bounce to become the under 50 yard magic wand...

Hitting balls at short targets is what I usually end up doing if I have more balls than I really want to hit.

Did you feel like your session was successful in terms of grooving the 7i? Would it have been better with more or less 7i's or was it perfect?

• SPY VIP

Hitting balls at short targets is what I usually end up doing if I have more balls than I really want to hit.

Did you feel like your session was successful in terms of grooving the 7i? Would it have been better with more or less 7i's or was it perfect?

I felt like I worked through some issues and that I could make more consistent strikes. Some with crazy power.

I also realized that my left hand grip pressure is way too light. Adding a touch more pressure made a huge difference.

Misses were the same, hooks or pulls. Can't wait to play Sunday though.

Volvo Intorqueo

I felt like I worked through some issues and that I could make more consistent strikes. Some with crazy power.

I also realized that my left hand grip pressure is way too light. Adding a touch more pressure made a huge difference.

Misses were the same, hooks or pulls. Can't wait to play Sunday though.

If you feel like you figured something out, that's definitely a positive range session.

Where are you playing on Sunday?

• SPY VIP

If you feel like you figured something out, that's definitely a positive range session.

Where are you playing on Sunday?

Just here at Haggin. No Friday round because of a funeral so I have yet to see if the range thoughts transfer to the course.

I feel like I do have three solid sessions in going into play though.

if not then vitamin beer will help the swing pain on a 70* sunny afternoon walk in nature

Volvo Intorqueo

Just here at Haggin. No Friday round because of a funeral so I have yet to see if the range thoughts transfer to the course.

I feel like I do have three solid sessions in going into play though.

if not then vitamin beer will help the swing pain on a 70* sunny afternoon walk in nature

There are no bad days on the golf course, that's for sure.

Just remember that you are an excellent golfer who hits lots of great shots. Positive thinking is helping me crush the ball all over Myrtle Beach right now.

Solid practice + a strong mind = unstoppable golf.

• SPY VIP

There are no bad days on the golf course, that's for sure.

Just remember that you are an excellent golfer who hits lots of great shots. Positive thinking is helping me crush the ball all over Myrtle Beach right now.

Solid practice + a strong mind = unstoppable golf.

Going to the funeral today sort of had the perspective effect too.

I can't get pissed if I am playing.

Volvo Intorqueo

I judge my success a little differently depending on what I am trying to accomplish. My typical range sessions are twice a week and I hit about 800-1000 balls per session. If I am working on something specific, I will spend a majority of time on that and if I feel comfortable with the change by the end of the session it has been a good one. If I am not working on a change, I will play a round while on the course, hitting shots as I would on the course (driver, approach or driver, lay-up, approach, etc) I will work some chipping/pitches in and give myself 28 putts for the "18 holes" and keep a score and see how it totals.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

I judge my success a little differently depending on what I am trying to accomplish. My typical range sessions are twice a week and I hit about 800-1000 balls per session. If I am working on something specific, I will spend a majority of time on that and if I feel comfortable with the change by the end of the session it has been a good one. If I am not working on a change, I will play a round while on the course, hitting shots as I would on the course (driver, approach or driver, lay-up, approach, etc) I will work some chipping/pitches in and give myself 28 putts for the "18 holes" and keep a score and see how it totals.

Holy $*&%! 1000 balls? Are you Vijay Singh? In all seriousness, how long does it take you to hit 1000 balls? Do you go through a full pre-shot routine before each shot?

• SPY VIP

The thought of 800 balls just made my back cramp. ;)

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

The most I've ever hit was around 500, but a lot of those were pretty short pitches. It was an all you can hit deal at the range and I wanted to get my money's worth.

That's like all you can eat pizza. Seems good until that 18th slice...

Volvo Intorqueo

The thought of 800 balls just made my back cramp. ;)

Yeah, that doesn't sound like fun to me.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

Exactly. But will I be back there this summer? You betcha. Because one day, hitting 1000 balls is going to sound like a good idea.

I will do the same thing at the big golf expo here at the end of April. Swing til the hands are numb

Volvo Intorqueo

1000 balls... how many large buckets would that be? I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one..

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

7 or so large baskets...

:mellow: First off, only a course pro could do that because you'd go poor hitting that many buckets per session if you were paying for them. Second, I don't have that kind of time. It would have to be my job to do that (again, back to the pro thing).

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Why would some want to hit 800 balls, get a cart and go and play 36 holes. You'll learn more playing than you do on the range. The game is about getting the ball in the hole, not having a perfect swing.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

Why would some want to hit 800 balls, get a cart and go and play 36 holes. You'll learn more playing than you do on the range. The game is about getting the ball in the hole, not having a perfect swing.

I'm a PGA Pro, trust me, I play plenty of golf. There are some things that need to be worked out on a range.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

I'm a PGA Pro, trust me, I play plenty of golf. There are some things that need to be worked out on a range.

That's a lot of balls. I'm a 3 handicap, and I play golf a lot, but not that much. I can feel the pain in my right hip just reading this, and I'm only 17.

That's a lot of balls. I'm a 3 handicap, and I play golf a lot, but not that much. I can feel the pain in my right hip just reading this, and I'm only 17.

Speaking of pain in the right hip/lower back area I pulled something working out last Saturday that keeps me awake at night. When I played Wednesday I could only take the club half way back and halfway through and I still felt the pain in both directions. I was a club short but it was surprising how solid I was hitting my irons with such a short swing.

As for regular range sessions, I've pretty much stopped practicing on off days. I'll hit the ball great in the afternoon on the range and be stiff as a board the next morning. The only practice I do now is after I play 18 if I feel I need to work on something.

Most PGA pros I know that work at golf courses hardly ever get to play.

Bob

Semper Fi

My Club

Archived