TESTERS WANTED! ×

How do you judge a range session as successful?

I'm a PGA Pro, trust me, I play plenty of golf. There are some things that need to be worked out on a range.

It's nice to hear that some PGA Pros still get to play the game. Seems the only ones I know are always talking about the fact that they spend 14 hours a day in the shop.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's nice to hear that some PGA Pros still get to play the game. Seems the only ones I know are always talking about the fact that they spend 14 hours a day in the shop.

True.

Around these parts they say the best way to become a five handicapper is to be a scratch and take a job as an assistant pro. :huh:

Semper Fi

My Club

True.

Around these parts they say the best way to become a five handicapper is to be a scratch and take a job as an assistant pro. :)

Haha, yup. One of my friends always tells everyone that he plays with, "I'm a golf professional, not a professional golfer." Doesn't stop him from playing the most infuriatingly consistent golf I've ever seen, though.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I'm a PGA Pro, trust me, I play plenty of golf. There are some things that need to be worked out on a range.

But you are IMO the exception to my statement. I was meaning more that the average golfer is not going to benefit as muchg as you by going at hitting that many balls.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

I average ten hours per day in the shop/teaching, five days per week, starting at 5:30 and getting out around 3:30-4:00 and will go out and play 9-18 holes after that. One my two days off I will play early in the morning and then hit the range after lunch and stay there or the short game area until dinner time.

True.

Around these parts they say the best way to become a five handicapper is to be a scratch and take a job as an assistant pro. :lol:

Assistant Pros have the worst schedules, especially if you are the only one at that particular course, some of the more prestigious courses around here have two or three and it makes a huge difference in the amount of time that they need to spend in the shop.

But you are IMO the exception to my statement. I was meaning more that the average golfer is not going to benefit as muchg as you by going at hitting that many balls.

Depends on the situation and what they are working on. If they are struggling with fundamentals, it is easier to get them ironed out on the range, but there is an epidemic of younger players who are so swing oriented that they run into a situation on the course that they had not encountered before and they don't have the ability to improvise.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

That's a lot of balls. I'm a 3 handicap, and I play golf a lot, but not that much. I can feel the pain in my right hip just reading this, and I'm only 17.

A 3 freaking handicap? You're definitely kicked out of Hacker's paradise now... :lol:

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Holy $*&%! 1000 balls? Are you Vijay Singh? In all seriousness, how long does it take you to hit 1000 balls? Do you go through a full pre-shot routine before each shot?

It takes anywhere between five and six hours. I take my pre-shot routine before each shot, but it takes all of five seconds for me to go through it.

The thought of 800 balls just made my back cramp. :lol:

Trust me, they are not all full swings, about two hundred or so of those will be to the target greens at 100 yards or shorter.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

You just realized that? It's been under my avatar for weeks.

Then why were you slumming?

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Archived