TESTERS WANTED! ×

How do you judge a range session as successful?

• SPY VIP

So I just got back from the driving range (not on the computer 24/7 as accused :blink: ). I left the range with the feeling that I had accomplished something. I was hitting off mats, so I don't always trust ball flight as a gauge of success. I only really counted a swing as "good" if I felt compression of the ball first and then good flight. More mid to long irons. I don't think I compressed much with my wedges...

Does this seem like a more honest way to assess the swing on a matt?

Also, I can share a revelation about my swing that came today. I am too fast from the top. Known issue. Today, my swing thought was wait for the left shoulder to clear the ball. When I really focused on this, contact was great and distance went up a bunch. When I forgot the shoulder, no rotation, OTT or too fast.

Also somehow, a hook has crept into my body. I am a slicer darn it. I have worked long and hard to kill that slice. Now it seems like I moved passed hitting straight to hitting right to left. Not a ton of movement, no duck hooks, but enough that if I aimed at the middle of the green 155 out or so, I would miss 5 yards to the left. Weakening the grip helped a bit. Could I be too inside now?

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only time I spend on the range is working there... Probably why I suck at golf so bad. I guess a little more practice is in order.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

The only time I spend on the range is working there... Probably why I suck at golf so bad. I guess a little more practice is in order.

So for you, success is just leaving the range. :)

Volvo Intorqueo

If I can repeat the good aspects of my swing and ball striking from my previous range session, while minimizing the bad aspects of that session, I consider it a success. For me, this usually this translates into fewer balls being hit in that current session.

• SPY VIP

If I can repeat the good aspects of my swing and ball striking from my previous range session, while minimizing the bad aspects of that session, I consider it a success. For me, this usually this translates into fewer balls being hit in that current session.

So remember what I did good this time when I go next and do them again? I really like this idea. Feeling good about my swing today is nothing compared to getting that feeling next time. Much harder to do, but far more rewarding.

Volvo Intorqueo

So remember what I did good this time when I go next and do them again? I really like this idea. Feeling good about my swing today is nothing compared to getting that feeling next time. Much harder to do, but far more rewarding.

How about this ... having consecutive "good" practice sessions, including on the day you're supposed to tee it up for real.

...But then completely sucking while on the course.

Sound familiar? Happens to me more than I care to admit.

• SPY VIP

How about this ... having consecutive "good" practice sessions, including on the day you're supposed to tee it up for real.

...But then completely sucking while on the course.

Sound familiar? Happens to me more than I care to admit.

That almost went into my superstition post. If I warm-up on the range and am firing on all cylinders, it basically guarantees it will all got to pieces on the course.

Stupid game.

Volvo Intorqueo

If I believe I accomplished what I was working on AND I've created a feel so I can consistently repeat what I've been working on.

Yesterday I struggled and I worked on some things and got back to how I was swinging and created some feels so I could consistently repeate it. Also helps to figure out what you're doing when you hit a bad shot.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

"Successful range session" can mean different things depending on what is going on with my game. Lately, I've been hitting the ball pretty well (don't tell the golf gods), so I just like to hit 3 good shots with each club and put them back in the bag. If there's something in particular that's been hurting me (driver, usually), I feel successful if I can figure out what it is, fix it, and hit a good number of solid shots.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

So for you, success is just leaving the range. :angry:

No question about it. Leaving the range is always a high point in my day... that might have something to do with why I never want to practice.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

I don't get to the range as much as I'd like, but when I do got it is to work on one particular part of my game... either my grip, swing speed, alignment, whatever... when I accomplish what I set out to do, I consider it a good trip...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

My usual range session is a SW high shot cut shot draw shot and a low shot in that order all 4 get done first try then move to an 8 iron and repeat then a 4 iron, thena 4 wood and end with my driver. If i am hitting the driver off first tee i will hit a few extra at the end to the shot i want off first tee if not driver i do it with whatever i am hitting.

then after all that i do a little flop shots little feel ones that i get up quick and down quick. then putt a few more balls and off to the tee

usualy takes me 20-25 minutes for all this, and if it takes longer or more balls to do it it is a bad session is my mind

but sometimes when i do some of my worse range sessions is my best days on course and when i do some awesome balls on range is my worse so i never figure on anythign just try to go to the course with whats working to if it was hard for me to hit the draws or cuts i will try to avoid them unless thats the only shot so.. go with what what was the best out of the four in my mind for that day

Andrew Bush da lefty of the forum.

Cleveland DST Tour 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard.

Nike Sasquatch 4 wood with diamana blue.

Nike Sasquatch 3 hybrid with diamana hybrid shaft

Callaway x forged 4-pw with prject x flighted 6.0

Callaway x forged 52 and 56 chrome

Callaway x forged 60 vintage

Odyssey white hot tour number 5.

Nike one platinum soon to be nike tour running out of the platinums!!!!!!!

Today was a very successful range session for me. I've been going to the golf dome about twice a week for the past 3 weeks and hitting the ball well. To stave off range boredom, I decided to hit my blades today, and...Great success! What I had forgotten about the blades was that they have zero offset - zip, zilch, nada. It was very noticeable in the long irons because I had a problem squaring the club face, but other than that I hit them almost as well as my Mizuno gamers.

It's a range that's covered by a dome so that you can hit balls all winter. Essentially an indoor range. It's about 100 yards long with lots of short targets. One nice thing about it is that you don't ever overswing, because you don't see the ball go more than 100 yards - very nice for tempo/rhythm. The downside is that everything from wedges through 7, maybe even 6, can hit the ceiling.

What is the golf dome?

Excuse us Mr. California!!! :) A dome is what we have to resort to for a range in the cold snowy winters of the midwest, etc. It's basically like a dome bubble about 85 yards long. You hit off a mat, 85 yards. Not really enjoyable, but if you want to hit balls in the winter, it's about the only way to do it in Minnesota. The outdoor shot on the bottom is the one I actually use in MN.

golf dome.jpg

GolfDome.jpg

GolfDome1.jpg

Posted Image

• SPY VIP

Excuse us Mr. California!!! :D A dome is what we have to resort to for a range in the cold snowy winters of the midwest, etc. It's basically like a dome bubble about 85 yards long. You hit off a mat, 85 yards. Not really enjoyable, but if you want to hit balls in the winter, it's about the only way to do it in Minnesota. The outdoor shot on the bottom is the one I actually use in MN.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Thanks for including the picts. 2 story range makes me nervous for some reason. :)

Are those targets on the back wall?

Volvo Intorqueo

Necessity is the mother of invention. Thanks for including the picts. 2 story range makes me nervous for some reason. :)

Are those targets on the back wall?

Yeah, those are targets...I am not really sure they serve much purpose.

Posted Image

Interesting. Golf in a dome. I wonder if I can get the bosses to put one up over the entire golf course to keep the rain out...

• SPY VIP

It rains in Oregon?

So back to the topic. I judge the range session from Friday as unsuccessful. PLaying this morning was not great. I really felt like I had a better handle on the swing on Friday at the range, today on the course, not so much.

Volvo Intorqueo

Hey Spy, that middle pic is of my dome! Had to do a triple take on that one.

Back on topic, I am very concerned that hitting the ball well in the dome all winter will not translate to green grass. I'm focusing on thinking happy thoughts and waiting for my new mental game book to show up.

• SPY VIP

Back on topic, I am very concerned that hitting the ball well in the dome all winter will not translate to green grass. I'm focusing on thinking happy thoughts and waiting for my new mental game book to show up.

Are you going to play in HB in a few weeks?

Volvo Intorqueo

Don't even mention HB, I'm sick that I'm not going. Actually, I'm not too upset, because the reason I'm missing it is that I'm taking my annual golf trip with my dad that weekend and I wouldn't trade that trip for anything. I tried to talk him into going to HB, but he wants to drive and Cali is too far. I do really wish I could be there, though. I would like to see what people think of the racks that I built for Byron.

• SPY VIP

Don't even mention HB, I'm sick that I'm not going. Actually, I'm not too upset, because the reason I'm missing it is that I'm taking my annual golf trip with my dad that weekend and I wouldn't trade that trip for anything. I tried to talk him into going to HB, but he wants to drive and Cali is too far. I do really wish I could be there, though. I would like to see what people think of the racks that I built for Byron.

I am only a 6 hour drive or so from there but that is the week of the school play for my kids with the cast party on Friday night. I would like to see the racks in person too.

Getting the putter before then would be some consolation, but it would be kind of fun to have it finished and there so the putterheads can see it before it comes to me.

Next year I am going to really try and lock down the dates for the trip. I have to see if my head is bigger than TJ's.

Volvo Intorqueo

Yeah, those are targets...I am not really sure they serve much purpose.

My buddy and I take turns trying to hit the targets. Especially when we get bored.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Yeah, I thought that looked like the Bensenville Dome. I've been out there about 8 times so far this winter. Not real close to me but its the only facility like it in the area.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

For me, I don't take too much stock during the winter because hitting off matts is nothing like grass and therefore my goal there is just keep my swing on life support until the start of the season.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Archived