GolfSpy Dave

How do you judge a range session as successful?

Necessity is the mother of invention. Thanks for including the picts. 2 story range makes me nervous for some reason. :)

Are those targets on the back wall?

Yeah, those are targets...I am not really sure they serve much purpose.

Interesting. Golf in a dome. I wonder if I can get the bosses to put one up over the entire golf course to keep the rain out...

It rains in Oregon?

So back to the topic. I judge the range session from Friday as unsuccessful. PLaying this morning was not great. I really felt like I had a better handle on the swing on Friday at the range, today on the course, not so much.

Hey Spy, that middle pic is of my dome! Had to do a triple take on that one.

Back on topic, I am very concerned that hitting the ball well in the dome all winter will not translate to green grass. I'm focusing on thinking happy thoughts and waiting for my new mental game book to show up.

Back on topic, I am very concerned that hitting the ball well in the dome all winter will not translate to green grass. I'm focusing on thinking happy thoughts and waiting for my new mental game book to show up.

Are you going to play in HB in a few weeks?

Don't even mention HB, I'm sick that I'm not going. Actually, I'm not too upset, because the reason I'm missing it is that I'm taking my annual golf trip with my dad that weekend and I wouldn't trade that trip for anything. I tried to talk him into going to HB, but he wants to drive and Cali is too far. I do really wish I could be there, though. I would like to see what people think of the racks that I built for Byron.

Don't even mention HB, I'm sick that I'm not going. Actually, I'm not too upset, because the reason I'm missing it is that I'm taking my annual golf trip with my dad that weekend and I wouldn't trade that trip for anything. I tried to talk him into going to HB, but he wants to drive and Cali is too far. I do really wish I could be there, though. I would like to see what people think of the racks that I built for Byron.

I am only a 6 hour drive or so from there but that is the week of the school play for my kids with the cast party on Friday night. I would like to see the racks in person too.

Getting the putter before then would be some consolation, but it would be kind of fun to have it finished and there so the putterheads can see it before it comes to me.

Next year I am going to really try and lock down the dates for the trip. I have to see if my head is bigger than TJ's.

Yeah, those are targets...I am not really sure they serve much purpose.

My buddy and I take turns trying to hit the targets. Especially when we get bored.

Yeah, I thought that looked like the Bensenville Dome. I've been out there about 8 times so far this winter. Not real close to me but its the only facility like it in the area.

For me, I don't take too much stock during the winter because hitting off matts is nothing like grass and therefore my goal there is just keep my swing on life support until the start of the season.

I am only a 6 hour drive or so from there but that is the week of the school play for my kids with the cast party on Friday night. I would like to see the racks in person too.

Getting the putter before then would be some consolation, but it would be kind of fun to have it finished and there so the putterheads can see it before it comes to me.

Next year I am going to really try and lock down the dates for the trip. I have to see if my head is bigger than TJ's.

Your head vs. TJ's for all time PutterHEAD bragging rights. I'll need to be there for the official measurements. Are we measuring volume or circumference? FWIW, neither of you could possibly compare to Pete Gillen.

For me, I don't take too much stock during the winter because hitting off matts is nothing like grass and therefore my goal there is just keep my swing on life support until the start of the season.

I like going to the dome because it gives me confidence heading into the season and I don't have to waste valuable in-season time shaking the rust off. I totally agree that there is a limit to what you can do in a dome, and I certainly don't love mats, but it's 100% better than nothing.

I like to hit every club in the bag 5-10 times. I don't have an objective method of judging, but I just want to leave the range feeling like I hit some good shots.

My reason yesterday's session was successful, my best shots were my last.

How many balls do you guys usually hit in a session?

More balls with bad technique is bad, but how many will satisfy you as having actually practiced?

More balls with bad technique is bad, but how many will satisfy you as having actually practiced?

I usually opt for the small bucket. I don't want to hit too many or I will get too loose and sloppy. Sloppiness is the enemy of the golfer.

Probably not more than about 50. I'm satisfied by the amount of really good shots I hit, not the quantity of them, so I don't like to beat away. I find that if I have a big big bucket, I hit without focus and inevitably hit until I'm disinterested and hitting bad shots.

So I just finished off a large bucket primarily with the 7i. 90 balls with the 7 at least. Trying to groove the slow and powerful feeling from earlier in the week.

Little sore now after 4 hours in the car today too.

Got a bit loose at the end, so I just hit the 58*/14* at the close green. Yes that is a non burner wedge. Used in ok shape. Does seem like too much bounce to become the under 50 yard magic wand...

So I just finished off a large bucket primarily with the 7i. 90 balls with the 7 at least. Trying to groove the slow and powerful feeling from earlier in the week.

Little sore now after 4 hours in the car today too.

Got a bit loose at the end, so I just hit the 58*/14* at the close green. Yes that is a non burner wedge. Used in ok shape. Does seem like too much bounce to become the under 50 yard magic wand...

Hitting balls at short targets is what I usually end up doing if I have more balls than I really want to hit.

Did you feel like your session was successful in terms of grooving the 7i? Would it have been better with more or less 7i's or was it perfect?

Hitting balls at short targets is what I usually end up doing if I have more balls than I really want to hit.

Did you feel like your session was successful in terms of grooving the 7i? Would it have been better with more or less 7i's or was it perfect?

I felt like I worked through some issues and that I could make more consistent strikes. Some with crazy power.

I also realized that my left hand grip pressure is way too light. Adding a touch more pressure made a huge difference.

Misses were the same, hooks or pulls. Can't wait to play Sunday though.