GolfSpy Dave

How do you judge a range session as successful?

I felt like I worked through some issues and that I could make more consistent strikes. Some with crazy power.

I also realized that my left hand grip pressure is way too light. Adding a touch more pressure made a huge difference.

Misses were the same, hooks or pulls. Can't wait to play Sunday though.

If you feel like you figured something out, that's definitely a positive range session.

Where are you playing on Sunday?

If you feel like you figured something out, that's definitely a positive range session.

Where are you playing on Sunday?

Just here at Haggin. No Friday round because of a funeral so I have yet to see if the range thoughts transfer to the course.

I feel like I do have three solid sessions in going into play though.

if not then vitamin beer will help the swing pain on a 70* sunny afternoon walk in nature

Just here at Haggin. No Friday round because of a funeral so I have yet to see if the range thoughts transfer to the course.

I feel like I do have three solid sessions in going into play though.

if not then vitamin beer will help the swing pain on a 70* sunny afternoon walk in nature

There are no bad days on the golf course, that's for sure.

Just remember that you are an excellent golfer who hits lots of great shots. Positive thinking is helping me crush the ball all over Myrtle Beach right now.

Solid practice + a strong mind = unstoppable golf.

There are no bad days on the golf course, that's for sure.

Just remember that you are an excellent golfer who hits lots of great shots. Positive thinking is helping me crush the ball all over Myrtle Beach right now.

Solid practice + a strong mind = unstoppable golf.

Going to the funeral today sort of had the perspective effect too.

I can't get pissed if I am playing.

I feel like I have a good range session if I can hit some good shots and concentrate on each shot. Also, if I make sure all my pre-shot fundamentals (alignment, posture, etc) are good on every shot, I feel like I've gotten good work in.

I judge my success a little differently depending on what I am trying to accomplish. My typical range sessions are twice a week and I hit about 800-1000 balls per session. If I am working on something specific, I will spend a majority of time on that and if I feel comfortable with the change by the end of the session it has been a good one. If I am not working on a change, I will play a round while on the course, hitting shots as I would on the course (driver, approach or driver, lay-up, approach, etc) I will work some chipping/pitches in and give myself 28 putts for the "18 holes" and keep a score and see how it totals.

I judge my success a little differently depending on what I am trying to accomplish. My typical range sessions are twice a week and I hit about 800-1000 balls per session. If I am working on something specific, I will spend a majority of time on that and if I feel comfortable with the change by the end of the session it has been a good one. If I am not working on a change, I will play a round while on the course, hitting shots as I would on the course (driver, approach or driver, lay-up, approach, etc) I will work some chipping/pitches in and give myself 28 putts for the "18 holes" and keep a score and see how it totals.

Holy $*&%! 1000 balls? Are you Vijay Singh? In all seriousness, how long does it take you to hit 1000 balls? Do you go through a full pre-shot routine before each shot?

The thought of 800 balls just made my back cramp. ;)

The thought of 800 balls just made my back cramp. ;)

The most I've ever hit was around 500, but a lot of those were pretty short pitches. It was an all you can hit deal at the range and I wanted to get my money's worth.

The most I've ever hit was around 500, but a lot of those were pretty short pitches. It was an all you can hit deal at the range and I wanted to get my money's worth.

That's like all you can eat pizza. Seems good until that 18th slice...

That's like all you can eat pizza. Seems good until that 18th slice...

Exactly. But will I be back there this summer? You betcha. Because one day, hitting 1000 balls is going to sound like a good idea.

Exactly. But will I be back there this summer? You betcha. Because one day, hitting 1000 balls is going to sound like a good idea.

I will do the same thing at the big golf expo here at the end of April. Swing til the hands are numb

7 or so large baskets...

:mellow: First off, only a course pro could do that because you'd go poor hitting that many buckets per session if you were paying for them. Second, I don't have that kind of time. It would have to be my job to do that (again, back to the pro thing).

Why would some want to hit 800 balls, get a cart and go and play 36 holes. You'll learn more playing than you do on the range. The game is about getting the ball in the hole, not having a perfect swing.

Why would some want to hit 800 balls, get a cart and go and play 36 holes. You'll learn more playing than you do on the range. The game is about getting the ball in the hole, not having a perfect swing.

I'm a PGA Pro, trust me, I play plenty of golf. There are some things that need to be worked out on a range.

I'm a PGA Pro, trust me, I play plenty of golf. There are some things that need to be worked out on a range.

That's a lot of balls. I'm a 3 handicap, and I play golf a lot, but not that much. I can feel the pain in my right hip just reading this, and I'm only 17.

That's a lot of balls. I'm a 3 handicap, and I play golf a lot, but not that much. I can feel the pain in my right hip just reading this, and I'm only 17.

Speaking of pain in the right hip/lower back area I pulled something working out last Saturday that keeps me awake at night. When I played Wednesday I could only take the club half way back and halfway through and I still felt the pain in both directions. I was a club short but it was surprising how solid I was hitting my irons with such a short swing.

As for regular range sessions, I've pretty much stopped practicing on off days. I'll hit the ball great in the afternoon on the range and be stiff as a board the next morning. The only practice I do now is after I play 18 if I feel I need to work on something.

Most PGA pros I know that work at golf courses hardly ever get to play.

Bob