TESTERS WANTED! ×

86 Masters

DiscipleofPenick

Just watched the final round on YouTube and what a ride! Unfortunately I don't know what those guys were like in thier prime, I'm in the Tiger generation. I watched him win every tournament by 15 shots, seen Rory grab a course by the throat on a Sunday, seen Phil's magic, and a dozen others.

But I'd like to hear about what the guys from this era were like. How much ass did Jack kick? How dominant could Watson and Kite be? Why couldn't Norman close? How terrifying was Seve? Who else was scary when they got hot? Just some memories from the guys on here. I look forward to it.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Sorry - just seeing this.

I’m 63 and have been following golf since the late 60’s. That means that i can recall much of Nicklaus’ career, saw Tony Jacklin win both Opens, Player, Casper, Trevino, Floyd, Watson and on into the Seve, Faldo, Price, Langer, Norman, Strange group (plus Tiger and our current guys.). I began watching golf live around 1980.

Like all sports the game has changed beyond a doubt starting with TV coverage. The first time I remember seeing all 18 holes of a tournament on TV was the US Open in 1982 from Pebble - the famous Watson chip in.

Prior to that you saw no front nine action other than on video. There were no European events televised in American so you only saw those guys when they played here or in the Open or Ryder Cup. When I was really young the Open was on tape delay and if in Scotland finished on Saturday!

Jack was all about the majors but even more, he was about his family. He played a very limited schedule and used non major regular tour events as tune ups, carefully selected courses to simulate what he’d face there. If you were to look at his record in majors from the late 60’s through 1980 you’d be stunned. He was rarely outside of the top 5, very intimidating with his length, ability to hit long irons and hole putts. He rarely missed greens, I mean rarely!

When hot Trevino the Floyd were nightmares - There’s really no one to compare them to today because the game is so different. No bomb and gauge then, those guys hit fairways and greens all day. You won then by hitting fairways and greens.

Seve is known for his short game but he was that eras Phil, only a much better putter. Long and wrong off the tee, capable of getting close from any spot on or off the course (a parking lot in the Open once) from inside 250. Very exciting but very aloof.

Norman was long and straight but honestly over rated, as his record shows. He dominated the regular tour but when the Euros were here playing wasn’t able to keep up with a guy
like Seve or Faldo. In fact you’d be stunned if you compared his career on the PGA to Bernard Langer’s on the Euro tour. Almost identical right down to 2 majors each.

I could go on and on and on here - a forgotten player from the 80’s was Larry Nelson. He’d come and go but he won 3 majors. Another ball striking machine when on. Dave Stockton and Ben Crenshaw we’re putting geniuses.

This could turn into a book. Just ask about a guy if you want to know more.

In the end though there’s a huge gap between Jack and Tiger, Tiger and Jack than the rest. It’s why they are on Mount Rushmore and then you figure out what other two guys to stick up there

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

In my opinion, Jack Nicklaus is the GOAT.  As mentioned by RevKev

12 hours ago, revkev said:

Jack was all about the majors but even more, he was about his family. He played a very limited schedule and used non major regular tour events as tune ups, carefully selected courses to simulate what he’d face there. If you were to look at his record in majors from the late 60’s through 1980 you’d be stunned. He was rarely outside of the top 5, very intimidating with his length, ability to hit long irons and hole putts. He rarely missed greens, I mean rarely!

Compile a reduced schedule where Nicklaus was never away from home more than 2 weeks and rarely played when home, he won 18 majors, lost a few he should have won, had the following finishes in the majors during his career...

20 Second Place, 9 Third Place,  46 Top-Three finishes, 54 Top-Five finishes, 71 Top-10 finishes. Jack played in a record 154 consecutive major championships.  His last top 10 was in 1998 at the Masters when he finished tied for 6th at the age of 58.  In 1986 he was supposed to be washed up yet, as seen during the last round, he made a charge and other players (Ballesteros, Norman, Kite) could not over take the Golden Bear.

Here's a list of multi major winners that Jack Nicklaus played and contended against during between 1960 and 1986:

Arnold Palmer - 7

Ben Hogan - 9

Gary Player - 9

Tom Watson - 8

Lee Trevino - 6

Seve Ballesteros - 5

Raymond Floyd - 4

Julius Boros - 3

Billy Casper - 3

Hale Irwin - 3

Larry Nelson - 3

Greg Norman - 2

Dave Stockton - 2

Johnny Miller - 2

David Graham - 2

Fuzzy Zoeller - 2

Hubert Green - 2

Andy North - 2

Bernhard Langer - 2

Ben Crenshaw - 2

Jack competed against a lot of terrific competitors.  This list speaks of that.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

In my opinion, Jack Nicklaus is the GOAT.  As mentioned by RevKev
Compile a reduced schedule where Nicklaus was never away from home more than 2 weeks and rarely played when home, he won 18 majors, lost a few he should have won, had the following finishes in the majors during his career...
20 Second Place, 9 Third Place,  46 Top-Three finishes, 54 Top-Five finishes, 71 Top-10 finishes. Jack played in a record 154 consecutive major championships.  His last top 10 was in 1998 at the Masters when he finished tied for 6th at the age of 58.  In 1986 he was supposed to be washed up yet, as seen during the last round, he made a charge and other players (Ballesteros, Norman, Kite) could not over take the Golden Bear.
Here's a list of multi major winners that Jack Nicklaus played and contended against during between 1960 and 1986:
Arnold Palmer - 7
Ben Hogan - 9
Gary Player - 9
Tom Watson - 8
Lee Trevino - 6
Seve Ballesteros - 5
Raymond Floyd - 4
Julius Boros - 3
Billy Casper - 3
Hale Irwin - 3
Larry Nelson - 3
Greg Norman - 2
Dave Stockton - 2
Johnny Miller - 2
David Graham - 2
Fuzzy Zoeller - 2
Hubert Green - 2
Andy North - 2
Bernhard Langer - 2
Ben Crenshaw - 2

Jack competed against a lot of terrific competitors.  This list speaks of that.

I’m a big Jack guy but I have no argument if someone goes Tiger.

They both lap the field though

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Tiger isn't done yet.  He is still competitive and if he catches lightning in a bottle again, or a handful of times ...... .   In my book Jack Nicklaus is the GOAT based on his major record.  Tiger is right on his heels.  As a complete golfer, I don't think there has ever been a total package like Tiger Woods.  He excelled at every facet of the game.  Nicklaus didn't have as good of short game as the rest of his game.  Arnold Palmer was known to be a bit wild off the tee.  Ben Hogan could hit it tee to green as well, if not better, than Tiger Woods but Mr. Hogan wasn't a great putter.  Greg Norman was as long and straight of a driver of the golf ball as anyone that ever played the game but Greg often made poor choices.  Not sure if he choked or if he was way too aggressive.  None the less if each of these golfers could replace their deficiencies of their game with that part of Tiger's game then we might be looking at these golfers at a completely different level.  No, Tiger Woods was the total package.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on