TESTERS WANTED! ×

Loft/Lie Machine

Hi All! 

I'm just recently getting back into my club repair/building.  Went to school and took some classes on this back in the day, the only thing I am missing in my set up at the moment that i think would really benefit me would be a Mitchell type machine for bending loft/lie.

Is there a solid option out there that isn't going to cost me $1,000+.  I'm not yet planning on doing this for a ton of other people, so the investment wouldnt be worth it at the moment. I will bite the bullet eventually since it's something i would love to get back into as a part time gig. 

Right now in my makeshift shop I have mostly golf works equipment:

• Grip station (Vice mounted)
  • Shaft extractor (Vice mounted) 
  • 1" x 30" belt sander 
  • Bench top small chop saw
  • 8" grinder wheel (new purchase, still not sure exactly what buffing/grinding wheels to get) 
  • PLUS all the extra smaller tools needed to remove grips & do the small stuff

Any other recommendations would be awesome! Thanks! 

Thank you!

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9* - HZRDS Yellow 65g X

:ping-small:  G410 Crossover - 17* 2i - Alta CB 70x

:callaway-small:   X-Forged 18 - PX6.5 - 2*UP - "Standard" Length & Lofts

:vokey-small:  SM7 Wedges - 50* - 54* - 60* 

:taylormade-small: TP Patina Series Del Mar - 35" - 2* Loft - 70* Lie

:bridgestone-small: Tour BX

Great ''basic'' setup. I wish I could afford one. 

You will absolutely need a setup to properly measure club length and club swing weight and either butane/propane torch or an industrial fan (torch can also be used to blue clubs)

For cutting steel shafts I absolutely love small pipe cutter. It makes the job of cutting shafts so much easier and cleaner - quick, no sharp edges and the ends are beautifully rounded inwards. 

Besides miscellaneuos (10g shaft tip weights to be cut down to desired weight, different ferrules etc.) you got it all.

:ping-small:  G425 MAX, 10,5°, Fujikura Ventus Blue 60S

:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 10,5°, Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS, 60S

:taylormade-small: The Original One Mini Driver, 13,5°,  Fujikura Ventus Red 70S

:ping-small: G425 MAX 5 wood, 7 wood, Tensei AV Orange 75R

:srixon-small: Z U65 4, Z565 5-6, Z765 7-8 , Z965 9-PW, Project X 5.5,

:ping-small: Glide 4.0, 52°, Z-115, 58°, Z-115

:EVNROLL: ER5, 34'', Gravity Grip

Thank you sir! 

I have a heat gun i used to remove club heads and heat the epoxy up. I do have a small torch, but I don't trust my ADD to use it! haha 

I'll pick up a pipe cutter @ home depot and give that  whirl, seems like kind of a no brainer, but i've only used the chop saw. 

Cheers! 

I would love to have a lot/lie bending machine, but I can't justify it.  I have thought about the economy bending machines at Golfworks.  When I buy irons, I need them about 2-3º flat to fit my swing.  If I buy new, I can get them that way, but if I want to buy used then I have to get them adjusted.  I can go to my local golf store and get them adjusted for a couple of bucks each, free if my buddy is working.  Even if I pay, I can bring them back for checks for free.  I would never recoup my investment in a machine, and don't want to do it for others because of the chance of breaking their clubs.  I would feel awful and end up buying them new clubs!  LOL

As @Calvo90 suggested, a swingweight scale is a necessity and the ability to adjust.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

54 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I would love to have a lot/lie bending machine, but I can't justify it.  I have thought about the economy bending machines at Golfworks.  When I buy irons, I need them about 2-3º flat to fit my swing.  If I buy new, I can get them that way, but if I want to buy used then I have to get them adjusted.  I can go to my local golf store and get them adjusted for a couple of bucks each, free if my buddy is working.  Even if I pay, I can bring them back for checks for free.  I would never recoup my investment in a machine, and don't want to do it for others because of the chance of breaking their clubs.  I would feel awful and end up buying them new clubs!  LOL

As @Calvo90 suggested, a swingweight scale is a necessity and the ability to adjust.

I'm trying to justify it so bad! Along with MP20 MBs lol 

I do have a swing weight scale, forgot to put that on there & a digital scale for total weight.

I wanted to bend my putter a bit more upright today, since i started standing closer to the ball. Luckily my approach worked out, stepping on the putter head and pulling the shaft gently.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

7 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I wanted to bend my putter a bit more upright today, since i started standing closer to the ball. Luckily my approach worked out, stepping on the putter head and pulling the shaft gently.

Wow thats some balls! Love it, glad it worked out for you! 

18 minutes ago, Live Free Golf MA said:

Wow thats some balls! Love it, glad it worked out for you! 

Yeah, it was sort of risky and an expensive putter. I should probably never test my luck again, haha.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I’m in the same boat and something important to keep in mind is keeping it calibrated and buying something that is accurate. I’ve had Club Champion who uses Mitchell digital lie and loft machines check what a older Mitchell manual machine adjustment did and the manual was off. After learning how often their equipment is calibrated and the fact my adjustments are for my own clubs, I want it to be 💯 right. Therefore this is something you don’t want to go cheap on. If you decide to buy a used one on the bay send it to Mitchell to be tuned up or your going to buy a bunch of problems. If you decide to go new here’s an alternative to Mitchell https://mr3golfdesigns.com/ 

I hate to say it but until the cost, convenience, and quality can be met I’m paying someone else to adjust my clubs. 

Yeah, it was sort of risky and an expensive putter. I should probably never test my luck again, haha.

Back in the day, we used to slam our irons on the ground to get them to “look right”. We were just bending the lie a little. Not scientific at all, but it worked. Kinda.

Sent from OregonMyGolfSpy

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

8 hours ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

Back in the day, we used to slam our irons on the ground to get them to “look right”. We were just bending the lie a little. Not scientific at all, but it worked. Kinda.

Isn't that the ''Tiger'' method? LOL

:taylormade-small: The Original One Mini Driver, 13,5°,  Fujikura Ventus Red 70S

13 hours ago, Live Free Golf MA said:

Thank you sir! 

I have a heat gun i used to remove club heads and heat the epoxy up. I do have a small torch, but I don't trust my ADD to use it! haha 

I'll pick up a pipe cutter @ home depot and give that  whirl, seems like kind of a no brainer, but i've only used the chop saw. 

Cheers! 

Just another advice when using pipe cutter: When you decide to cut the shaft, insert another junk shaft into the shaft you intend to cut to support it from the inside. It can be steel or graphite, it doesn't matter. Especially light-weight shafts tend to ''oval'' if you putt a little bit too much of a sqeeze on them and you can end up with inprecise cut because the pipe cutter wandered off the desired line. The additional support prevents the shaft from ovaling and makes the whole process pretty much without any risk.

Awesome. Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

On 3/29/2020 at 8:08 PM, dlow206 said:

Actually there used to be a piece you could step on to hold a putter head down and bend to suit

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 3/29/2020 at 9:25 PM, MmmmmmBuddy said:

That was the Trevino method long before Tiger. Back in the day the old hustlers used to carry a small pipe wrench and wedge the club in the bumper of a golf cart ( back when carts had real steel bumpers) and bend to sight. I still have an old pipe wrench from those days with the teeth ground down

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 3/29/2020 at 8:56 PM, awcarlisle01 said:

I’m in the same boat and something important to keep in mind is keeping it calibrated and buying something that is accurate. I’ve had Club Champion who uses Mitchell digital lie and loft machines check what a older Mitchell manual machine adjustment did and the manual was off. After learning how often their equipment is calibrated and the fact my adjustments are for my own clubs, I want it to be 💯 right. Therefore this is something you don’t want to go cheap on. If you decide to buy a used one on the bay send it to Mitchell to be tuned up or your going to buy a bunch of problems. If you decide to go new here’s an alternative to Mitchell https://mr3golfdesigns.com/ 

I hate to say it but until the cost, convenience, and quality can be met I’m paying someone else to adjust my clubs. 

I will agree with you that it is more cost effective for the average guy to take their clubs to be checked. Now from me being in the golf business in the past I do have my own machine but I do check it in several different ways.  I have 3 clubs that are never hit that were checked on a Mitchell digital. I also have a couple more test clubs that I will bend up and check on my clamp board with a Maltby angle gauge and a digital angle finder. My machine is a little oddball as far as machines goes. It is a Silvestri which not many were made. I think there are only 10 or 12 of them made before the owner / designer got sick. The only other person I knew that had and used one was Ari at Scratch Golf. I had the fortune a few years back through a friend to get in contact with the gentleman who designed it. Learned a lot about it. with SOP for me I manually check a club anyhow after I bend it so I stay on top of things. I don't do it for a living now so mainly it is used for my stuff I tinker with. I also made my own putter bending and hybrid with a neck jigs. I bought that machine like 20 years ago when the guy that owned it passed away. In fact my partner and I bought about 90% of his shop and that is where we started

G

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Actually there used to be a piece you could step on to hold a putter head down and bend to suit

I know Rife had one for their 2 bar putters;  was there a generic one that fitters used or was it similar to what rife provided?

https://www.amazon.com/Guerin-Rife-LieALine-Accuracy-Fitting/dp/B00N3WXF7C

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 hours ago, cnosil said:

I know Rife had one for their 2 bar putters;  was there a generic one that fitters used or was it similar to what rife provided?

https://www.amazon.com/Guerin-Rife-LieALine-Accuracy-Fitting/dp/B00N3WXF7C

Thanks for jogging my memory that is exactly who had that. I may have mine in one of my tool boxes or drawers in the shop. We were a Rife dealer

G

On 4/4/2020 at 2:35 AM, BIG STU said:

The only other person I knew that had and used one was Ari at Scratch Golf.

Heard from Ari lately?  I haven't seen him since the team from Scratch up and moved production to Tennessee. We used to see a fair bit of the boys out here. Jeff and Ari, Eggling... Miss those guys.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

7 hours ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

Heard from Ari lately?  I haven't seen him since the team from Scratch up and moved production to Tennessee. We used to see a fair bit of the boys out here. Jeff and Ari, Eggling... Miss those guys.

I have never met him face to face. Talked to him via phone about that machine a couple of times. He is over on WRX from time to time. He actually had 2 of those machines and when he closed Scratch down Ryan Moore bought one of them. He did offer me the other one for a good price but I did not have the room for it so I declined. I know for a while he quoted himself as "a free agent club ho" but now I think he is involved with National Golf which made those irons for Patrick Reed

G

On 3/30/2020 at 6:16 AM, Calvo90 said:

Just another advice when using pipe cutter: When you decide to cut the shaft, insert another junk shaft into the shaft you intend to cut to support it from the inside. It can be steel or graphite, it doesn't matter. Especially light-weight shafts tend to ''oval'' if you putt a little bit too much of a sqeeze on them and you can end up with inprecise cut because the pipe cutter wandered off the desired line. The additional support prevents the shaft from ovaling and makes the whole process pretty much without any risk.

I spent about $100 on a Dewalt chop saw from Lowe’s and it’s cut my shaft cutting on all materials in half and improved the accuracy of the cuts. I wish I had made that purchase sooner. 

1 hour ago, awcarlisle01 said:

I spent about $100 on a Dewalt chop saw from Lowe’s and it’s cut my shaft cutting on all materials in half and improved the accuracy of the cuts. I wish I had made that purchase sooner. 

Chop saw is the best for cutting shafts, especially when you are dealing with high volumes. No argument here. You can end up with a little rugged edge but that can be sorted in 30 seconds max.

Unfortunately I am doing way too little cutting to justify buying 100 USD saw. For me 11 USD pipe cutter, which can reliably and precisely cut any steel shaft I want and virtually doesn't take any space in my already minimal work space, is the perfect tool.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2020 at 5:16 AM, Calvo90 said:

That is a great tip - thanks!

On 3/28/2020 at 5:41 PM, Live Free Golf MA said:

Hi All! 

I'm just recently getting back into my club repair/building.  Went to school and took some classes on this back in the day, the only thing I am missing in my set up at the moment that i think would really benefit me would be a Mitchell type machine for bending loft/lie.

Is there a solid option out there that isn't going to cost me $1,000+.  I'm not yet planning on doing this for a ton of other people, so the investment wouldnt be worth it at the moment. I will bite the bullet eventually since it's something i would love to get back into as a part time gig. 

Right now in my makeshift shop I have mostly golf works equipment:

• Grip station (Vice mounted)
  • Shaft extractor (Vice mounted) 
  • 1" x 30" belt sander 
  • Bench top small chop saw
  • 8" grinder wheel (new purchase, still not sure exactly what buffing/grinding wheels to get) 
  • PLUS all the extra smaller tools needed to remove grips & do the small stuff

Any other recommendations would be awesome! Thanks! 

Thank you!

My Mitchell Steelclub is a factory refurb... got it directly from Mitchell.  You may have to call to inquire, as I don't think they advertise their factory refurb units.  It would be worth the effort... saved me a ton!  Skip the stand, and just bolt it to your bench.  However, DO NOT skip the Mitchell bending bar! 

If you dip your toe into the loft/lie pool, you will want a gauge to measure both, as the actual bending apparatus is not entirely accurate in its measurements.  This is more than adequate:  https://www.golfworks.com/value-line-golf-club-measuring-gauge/p/hgcg/

Another item not on your list is a club ruler.  There are several DIY versions that will get the job done, but this is probably the "industry standard":

https://www.mitchellgolf.com/shop/repair-tools/clublength-measuring-tools/clublength-ruler-measuring-tool/

I have found a cheap digital kitchen scale to be one of the most useful tools on my bench.  Among 1,000 other uses, it makes mixing 50-50 epoxy in small quantities is a breeze.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am working on my home shop as well. I am building a work bench now. Then my fist purchase would be a vice to make a regripping section. Then items to stamp clubs. once I get that then I will get brave and learn more I will buy more equipment.

Driver: Titleist Titanium 983K, 10.5, Aldial Green 85-X

FW: Nike Covert VRS 2.0, 15, Kuro Kage 70G

Hybrid: Adams A4 3H, 18,  Rayon Javlnfx h80

Iron: JPX 900 Forged 4-5 JPX 900 Tour 6-PW, Project X 5.5

Wedges:SM7 50 F Grind, 54 S Grind, 60 D Grind

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot 9, Superstroke Flatso 1.0 grip

Ball: Titleist Prov1x

On 4/7/2020 at 6:29 AM, awcarlisle01 said:

Next time go to harbor freight.  $40 or less for a small chop saw.  Graphite and steel bits are tough on motors.  Plus, this thing is like the size of tissue box.  

If you are doing this as a hobby and for the love of it you may want to consider other company,

Mitchell is a top notch consideration but a golf mechanix, golf works  model might be better suited to your needs.

I would also consider a double end motor and put a  few different wheels on it for finishing or a frequency machine

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.