Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

TXG 2020 driver finals

Sluggo42

I think the finals will be Monday night or Tuesday morning.

cobra speedzone Xtreme vs Callaway mavrik standard.

that lefty kid, Matt, I believe, knocks them out there 325-350, but their yardage away from the center line is taken from every shot. But good Lord he crushes them.

its been a good little YouTube series, and shows that most of the drivers go far when hit well.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I am routing for mavrik and was disappointed in both sims

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max d 9 with graphite design tour ad xc 6s

Fairway Wood:Taylormade Sim 15 with Graphite design Tour ad iz 6s
Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Irons: 5-pw Miura Mc501 with modus 120s pured

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r

I think the finals will be Monday night or Tuesday morning.
cobra speedzone Xtreme vs Callaway mavrik standard.
that lefty kid, Matt, I believe, knocks them out there 325-350, but their yardage away from the center line is taken from every shot. But good Lord he crushes them.
its been a good little YouTube series, and shows that most of the drivers go far when hit well.

I’ve enjoyed it!!! Pulling for Extreme to pull it off with the accuracy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I was bummed when the ping got knocked off

I only watched the mavrik vs ts3 so not sure if they talked about it in other videos but I was surprised to see them use different shafts in the two heads. They usually try to do same set ups for comparisons. Not sure why they want this route 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I only watched the mavrik vs ts3 so not sure if they talked about it in other videos but I was surprised to see them use different shafts in the two heads. They usually try to do same set ups for comparisons. Not sure why they want this route 

Because they did an mini fitting for each individual driver before starting the bracket. Same shaft doesn't work on every head so Ian and Matt worked to optimize each head of for Matt 

This isn't about what is the best driver on the market. Its about what driver Matt will have in his bag for 2020 

3 hours ago, jlukes said:

Because they did an mini fitting for each individual driver before starting the bracket. Same shaft doesn't work on every head so Ian and Matt worked to optimize each head of for Matt 

This isn't about what is the best driver on the market. Its about what driver Matt will have in his bag for 2020 

That’s a good point. It’s also worth noting that even if the shafts were the same, very few people would be able to have the same swing characteristics, (speed,etc) that Matt has, so the final results would be meaningless to 99.9 of everyone else.

but with that, it is cool to see what each head does when the pedal is put to the metal, so to speak.

5 hours ago, jlukes said:

This is also probably the reason they had the heavier weight back in the SZ, rather than putting it behind the face for lower spin.  This was a question I asked in the video comments, but never got a response, so thank you @jlukes for reminding me of the fact that they did a mini fitting for Matt beforehand.  However, I still think it would've been interesting to see the comparison, since it went up against the TS3, which is low spinning.

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

This is also probably the reason they had the heavier weight back in the SZ, rather than putting it behind the face for lower spin.  This was a question I asked in the video comments, but never got a response, so thank you [mention=56939]jlukes[/mention] for reminding me of the fact that they did a mini fitting for Matt beforehand.  However, I still think it would've been interesting to see the comparison, since it went up against the TS3, which is low spinning.
Also if you have like 2 hours to kill they did the mini fitting live so you can watch it and get an idea of how the shafts themselves compared.

Using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

One of the best series to watch on YouTube. I love how they evolve their tests as their viewers add input

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

And the winner is...

Next vid will be the absolute optimizing of the winning club, which they felt was at maybe 80%. So now we’ll see some nano fitting by one of the best teams out there.

i wonder what it would be like to get fitted to this degree for your whole bag...

anyways- I’ll never know haha, cheers!!

The spin averaged out to be 200 RPMs different, but when I watched the whole video, the look of the ball flight from the Cobra seemed to be even higher than that difference. Might just have been the 3 mph more ball speed from the Mavrik making it look that way.

Yeah, would be fun I go through that process for sure!!!! Just incredible that Ian can see tweaking it just that LITTLE BIT more with a shaft, or hot melt, etc to get it fully maxed-out for Matt. Just amazing knowledge there....

Interesting that they put the weight tape on the Mavrik in the final and not from the get go.  I would've liked to see if it would've won without the weight tape.  I understand that they did that to get them to a more equal swing weight, but they didn't do that throughout the bracket challenge.  It will be cool to see what adjustments Ian makes before it goes in Matt's bag.  

• :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

53 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

Interesting that they put the weight tape on the Mavrik in the final and not from the get go.  I would've liked to see if it would've won without the weight tape.  I understand that they did that to get them to a more equal swing weight, but they didn't do that throughout the bracket challenge.  It will be cool to see what adjustments Ian makes before it goes in Matt's bag.  

That’s interesting. So that makes the driver in the final different than it’s previous rounds bit done in order to “match” the cobra? If they did a mini fitting then keep everything as is they each round. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

3 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

That’s interesting. So that makes the driver in the final different than it’s previous rounds bit done in order to “match” the cobra? If they did a mini fitting then keep everything as is they each round. 

My thoughts exactly...what was the point of the mini fitting if you're just gonna change things in the final to get the outcome you really want?  The results of the Mavrik in the simis were closer to the SZX finals results.  Obviously the Mavrik is a solid driver, and I'm interested to see what other changes they make to it.

I wonder how many clubs/shafts Matt goes through in a year.  He didn't seem like much of an equipment guy at first, but it's evolved much more and you have one of the best fitters in North America doing this for you each week.  

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

35 minutes ago, juspoole said:

I wonder how many clubs/shafts Matt goes through in a year.  He didn't seem like much of an equipment guy at first, but it's evolved much more and you have one of the best fitters in North America doing this for you each week.  

I'd get fit in a heart beat if Ian was fitting me!

3 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

To me that kinda botched the whole thing. Adding head weight almost universally increases ball speeds. By adding the weight, then giving a few "warm up swings". They threw the whole match off. 

As they stated. "they don't really care". But, I think they saw the potential for more speed in the Mav by adding weight and wanted to put on a show. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

3 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

My thoughts exactly...what was the point of the mini fitting if you're just gonna change things in the final to get the outcome you really want?  The results of the Mavrik in the simis were closer to the SZX finals results.  Obviously the Mavrik is a solid driver, and I'm interested to see what other changes they make to it.

Exactly. 

1 hour ago, Quigleyd said:

To me that kinda botched the whole thing. Adding head weight almost universally increases ball speeds. By adding the weight, then giving a few "warm up swings". They threw the whole match off. 

As they stated. "they don't really care". But, I think they saw the potential for more speed in the Mav by adding weight and wanted to put on a show. 

Yup, like adding a star pitcher to the World Series rotation that wasn’t around during the playoffs

It was just a bit of fun to put a new driver in Matt's bag. They're not doing a Most Wanted type thing. The Mavrik performed exceptional throughout the bracket, with or without the lead tape. Not exactly a big deal. It won by like 14 points. Pretty sure it scored higher in the previous rounds without the tape than the Cobra did in the final round, or any of them for that matter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

6 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

It was just a bit of fun to put a new driver in Matt's bag. They're not doing a Most Wanted type thing. The Mavrik performed exceptional throughout the bracket, with or without the lead tape. Not exactly a big deal. It won by like 14 points. Pretty sure it scored higher in the previous rounds without the tape than the Cobra did in the final round, or any of them for that matter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

You are right it’s not a big deal but it’s not the same driver that was used against other drivers thru the bracket. If the concept is to do a mini fitting before the bracket starts so matt is in a combo that works for him in each club then use that setup for the “challenge”‘don’t change the game in the finals. 

Even with the change that was made the Mavrik was clearly a standout driver throughout the whole bracket. It produced some crazy good numbers early and often. The Cobra was more consistent in that it was always at the 320ish mark. The Mavrik had higher numbers and was just better... I was rooting for the Cobra but alas it didn't pan out and managed to take out the g410 so over a TON of fun to watch and glad to see how it all panned out in this golfless time.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Mavrik had huge ball speeds but I'd be scared to game a driver with 1800 spin on average. Some of the shots they showed were low, mega-bullets. Granted, he was carrying them 300+ I still wonder if they're gonna give him another degree of loft before it goes in his bag for the season

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

3 hours ago, yungkory said:

Mavrik had huge ball speeds but I'd be scared to game a driver with 1800 spin on average. Some of the shots they showed were low, mega-bullets. Granted, he was carrying them 300+ I still wonder if they're gonna give him another degree of loft before it goes in his bag for the season

I'd guess the LST or the Cobra is in the bag by mid summer - I don't see Matt getting along with that low spin long term.

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

I'd guess the LST or the Cobra is in the bag by mid summer - I don't see Matt getting along with that low spin long term.

Hmm, can’t go wrong with either eh?

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

Agree and I think he talked about that in some previous videos and was looking to be more in 2000-2200 range. Iirc it was epic sz that he didn’t like the low spin numbers in

One thing I’ve been thinking about during this year’s TXG bracket, and subsequent “winner”, is it PROVES that all heads aren’t “maxed-out”. CT? Sure. But if ALL heads were maxed-out, how could Matt, or anyone, be seeing such ball speed differences between two heads on center hits? Cobra was dang straight, but couldn’t keep up ball speed-wise vs Mavrik. Others like the new Mizuno, same thing.
Yep, what works for one isn’t necessarily going to work for another, but with such variances throughout this “fitting”, it’s obvious that some OEMs still have a ways to go to “max-out” their driver heads, distance and direction can be gained vs a prior year, and shafts, head weighting, and technology IN the heads all matter. Heads are not equal. ALL are NOT maxed-out.

44 minutes ago, PMookie said:

One thing I’ve been thinking about during this year’s TXG bracket, and subsequent “winner”, is it PROVES that all heads aren’t “maxed-out”. CT? Sure. But if ALL heads were maxed-out, how could Matt, or anyone, be seeing such ball speed differences between two heads on center hits? Cobra was dang straight, but couldn’t keep up ball speed-wise vs Mavrik. Others like the new Mizuno, same thing.
Yep, what works for one isn’t necessarily going to work for another, but with such variances throughout this “fitting”, it’s obvious that some OEMs still have a ways to go to “max-out” their driver heads, distance and direction can be gained vs a prior year, and shafts, head weighting, and technology IN the heads all matter. Heads are not equal. ALL are NOT maxed-out.

Definitely not maxed out on off center hits from a ball speed or spin consistency perspective, that's for sure.