TESTERS WANTED! ×

TXG 2020 driver finals

Sluggo42

2 hours ago, PMookie said:

One thing I’ve been thinking about during this year’s TXG bracket, and subsequent “winner”, is it PROVES that all heads aren’t “maxed-out”. CT? Sure. But if ALL heads were maxed-out, how could Matt, or anyone, be seeing such ball speed differences between two heads on center hits? Cobra was dang straight, but couldn’t keep up ball speed-wise vs Mavrik. Others like the new Mizuno, same thing.
Yep, what works for one isn’t necessarily going to work for another, but with such variances throughout this “fitting”, it’s obvious that some OEMs still have a ways to go to “max-out” their driver heads, distance and direction can be gained vs a prior year, and shafts, head weighting, and technology IN the heads all matter. Heads are not equal. ALL are NOT maxed-out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, jlukes said:

Definitely not maxed out on off center hits from a ball speed or spin consistency perspective, that's for sure.

Agree with jlukes and this is where many will see the improvements year over or every other year. Also why companies on focusing on the aerodynamics of the the heads. Callaway with the shape of the mavrik being different than the other two heads in the mavrik release. TM focusing on the weight location and changing how the shape of the sole and the weight port.

as well as the stability and and consistency by improving standard deviation

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Agree with jlukes and this is where many will see the improvements year over or every other year. Also why companies on focusing on the aerodynamics of the the heads. Callaway with the shape of the mavrik being different than the other two heads in the mavrik release. TM focusing on the weight location and changing how the shape of the sole and the weight port.
as well as the stability and and consistency by improving standard deviation

Yeah, I’ve said this numerous times in posts when all the new stuff came out and folks were saying Rick Shiels proved that the new Cobra wasn’t any better than last year’s, or SIM over M5, etc. The gains are across the face, more consistency of spin, ball speed, forgiveness, etc. Helps prove the point that drivers really aren’t maxed-out. Still room for improvement.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I wanted to see the mizuno and g410 in the final but oh well. I agree with what you guys are saying about the drivers not being maxed out across the face and some are better than others when it comes to that. If I was bombing it 320+ every time I would go with the driver that gave me the most consistency and accuracy not the most distance.

Edited by LoganT

5 hours ago, LoganT said:

I wanted to see the mizuno and g410 in the final but oh well. I agree with what you guys are saying about the drivers not being maxed out across the face and some are better than others when it comes to that. If I was bombing it 320+ every time I would go with the driver that gave me the most consistency and accuracy not the most distance.

Regardless of what speed you don’t have to sacrifice one for the other. Anyone wanting to maximize both should get fit. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

19 hours ago, PMookie said:

One thing I’ve been thinking about during this year’s TXG bracket, and subsequent “winner”, is it PROVES that all heads aren’t “maxed-out”. CT? Sure. But if ALL heads were maxed-out, how could Matt, or anyone, be seeing such ball speed differences between two heads on center hits? Cobra was dang straight, but couldn’t keep up ball speed-wise vs Mavrik. Others like the new Mizuno, same thing.
Yep, what works for one isn’t necessarily going to work for another, but with such variances throughout this “fitting”, it’s obvious that some OEMs still have a ways to go to “max-out” their driver heads, distance and direction can be gained vs a prior year, and shafts, head weighting, and technology IN the heads all matter. Heads are not equal. ALL are NOT maxed-out.

I'm not sure it is just the head's launching capability because they didn't show CHS. If he is able to swing the Mavrik faster than the Cobra, that accounts for the higher BS. Could be the head's aerodynamic properties or could be the balance of the club suits his tempo better. Can't tell for sure without all the data.

BT

4 minutes ago, RI_Redneck said:

I'm not sure it is just the head's launching capability because they didn't show CHS. If he is able to swing the Mavrik faster than the Cobra, that accounts for the higher BS. Could be the head's aerodynamic properties or could be the balance of the club suits his tempo better. Can't tell for sure without all the data.

BT

They don’t show clubhead speed because as Ian mentioned in the m5 vs sim video they launch monitors don’t read heads the same way and this measurements aren’t exact. He mentioned that he is more focused on the output than the input and chs is an input 

Didn't watch all of them, so I missed that comment. I went back and watched this comparison with the sound turned up high (made the wife complain, LOL) and it SEEMS like the Mavrik doesn't have as much "whoosh" as the Cobra in the pre-impact swing. That would lead me to think the aerodynamics of the head were better. Sound is turbulence and turbulence is drag. The quieter a club is when swung, the less drag it has. I realized this when I was comparing modern drivers to my old persimmon drivers. I can actually get higher CHS with the old drivers than I can with the modern ones. Ball doesn't go as far though.

I also noticed, right before Matt started hitting, that they put up a message saying that the clubs felt significantly different when swung. I found that odd because I have always found that my drivers feel very similar when I have them setup correctly. I'm curious HOW they felt different?

BT

The one thing I wish they would have added to the bracket is to let us know how many shots it took from each driver to get the 10 shots that counted. For instance, if the Mavrik needed 16 shots to get the 10 that counted and the SZE only needed 12, that makes a big difference out on the course. Even if they didn't factor this into the winner, though, I think it would have been interesting to know. 

Driver: TS3, 9* (C1 setting, surefit cartridge in fade setting)

3/4 Wood: 917D2, 16.5 degrees (D1 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2, 19 degrees (C3 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-Iron (23 degrees); Mizuno MP-18 SC 5-iron(26) and 6-iron(30); Mizuno MP-18 7-iron(34), 8-iron(38), 9-iron(42), and P Wedge(46). Nippon Modus 120x shafts. 1 degree upright.

Wedges: Mizuno S-18 50, 54, and 58 degrees. 50 is 1 degree upright, 54 and 58 are standard lie. Nippon Modus 120x, soft stepped in the 54 and 58.

Putter: Evnroll ER1

Right-handed

Atlanta, GA

I was pretty bummed about the Mizuno- is it just me or does st200 not have the pop of st190? St180 was great for me btw...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Curious as to why they didn't use the standard Cobra SZ in the test with the heavy weight forward. When I demoed the Cobra's I got more distance with the standard model in that configuration. The X model in not unlike the Callaway Fusion I retired when I bought the Cobra. Hit 10 fairways today with the SZ. In my opinion one is as forgiving as the other as the face is the same and it does work.

Retired Army aviator. 2 Vietnam tours flying Hueys.

The standard with weight forward is the lowest spinning option so generally yes it'll be longer but Matt tends not to get along too well with the low spin drivers, Ping being the exception. That's more to do with Ping's low spin options not being nearly as low spin as other manufacturers.

Curious as to why they didn't use the standard Cobra SZ in the test with the heavy weight forward. When I demoed the Cobra's I got more distance with the standard model in that configuration. The X model in not unlike the Callaway Fusion I retired when I bought the Cobra. Hit 10 fairways today with the SZ. In my opinion one is as forgiving as the other as the face is the same and it does work.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE