TESTERS WANTED! ×

Swing Weight W/O Grip Installed

How can you test a clubs weight on a swing weight scale with out putting the grip on? I bought some shafts already cut once and they are a little longer then OEMs standard length. I’d like to see what the weights might be but don’t want to install the grips yet.

Usually there is decrease of 1 swing weight point for every 5g at the grip end.  For example, if swing weight of the club without the grip is E3, this means swing weight of the finished club gripped with 50g grip should be around D3. Don't forget to add the weight of the grip tape to the final calculations, especially if you intend to use additional layers of tape. 

:ping-small:  G425 MAX, 10,5°, Fujikura Ventus Blue 60S

:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 10,5°, Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS, 60S

:taylormade-small: The Original One Mini Driver, 13,5°,  Fujikura Ventus Red 70S

:ping-small: G425 MAX 5 wood, 7 wood, Tensei AV Orange 75R

:srixon-small: Z U65 4, Z565 5-6, Z765 7-8 , Z965 9-PW, Project X 5.5,

:ping-small: Glide 4.0, 52°, Z-115, 58°, Z-115

:EVNROLL: ER5, 34'', Gravity Grip

It's pretty simple - just tape the grip in the normal position to the side of the shaft. The scale doesn't know if it's installed or not. Unless you're blueprinting to 1 tenth of a swing weight point, I wouldn't get too worried about the weight of grip tape at the butt end of a club when you swing it either.

For most players, you are best served getting/fixing the swing weight prior to installing the grip. Most won't take the time to weigh each grip and the first time you change the model your set could be off if the weights don't match.  Equalize the weight or whatever fix is required to equalize or meet sw spec and then install your grips.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2020 at 1:13 PM, jaskanski said:

It's pretty simple - just tape the grip in the normal position to the side of the shaft. The scale doesn't know if it's installed or not. Unless you're blueprinting to 1 tenth of a swing weight point, I wouldn't get too worried about the weight of grip tape at the butt end of a club when you swing it either.

I'm able to fit grip in swingweight scale and shaft holds it in place without tape. Just have to be careful to position shaft to account for top cap of grip. 

Why ?

Do you golf without the grip installed ?

It could be done for measuring the consistency of the set if you put the same type of grip on the set afterward.  But, swing weight a set without the grip is like test drive a car without proper tire inflation.

10 hours ago, release said:

Why ?

Do you golf without the grip installed ?

It could be done for measuring the consistency of the set if you put the same type of grip on the set afterward.  But, swing weight a set without the grip is like test drive a car without proper tire inflation.

Better analogy would probably be to test drive a car without tires.

Anyway, I think OP said in the first post why he wanted to do it. He's considering cutting down the shafts but wants to see what the swing weights will be before he does it. Therefore he needs to know what the swing weight is with the grip, but obviously he doesn't want to install the grip only to then remove it and cut the shaft down.

3 hours ago, ChitownM2 said:

Better analogy would probably be to test drive a car without tires.

Anyway, I think OP said in the first post why he wanted to do it. He's considering cutting down the shafts but wants to see what the swing weights will be before he does it. Therefore he needs to know what the swing weight is with the grip, but obviously he doesn't want to install the grip only to then remove it and cut the shaft down.

If the intended shortening is less than 5/8", not much "feel" will change after the cut down ( for the normal soul ).

Swing weight is one of the reference which help to achieve the desired end result for feel.   Often over emphasized and depend upon.   I have a bag with golf clubs having different swing weights ( D0-D3 ) but I know how far I could fly each one of the stick in that bag.... often times that bag performed better than the other bags of clubs with modern clubs and more consistent swing weight throughout the bag.

If one could not hit PW-7 iron within 10 yards of intended target,  precision instrument would not help anyway. 

For the OP, if installing grip with air, a few extra minutes to install/remove the grip.  If installing with the traditional method.  Sacrifice one grip ( or improvise with an old grip with similar weight ), slice it open vertically to use it for mounting and removal while measuring swing weights before and after the cut, that's how we did it in the old days.