TESTERS WANTED! ×

3 piece ball comparison

After finding out my driver SS last weekend (95mph) I feel a little more confident going from 2 piece balls to the 3 piece ones.

So I was just wondering if you guys have any comparisons/feedback/reviews regarding the following balls.

Sure, I could buy a sleeve of each and test them out, but at the price they come at, it's not an experiment I can afford at the moment :D

Here is the list:

Bridgestone B330RX and RXS (SS too low to play B330?)

Bridgestone e6+ and e7+ (currently playing e6+ and I like it more than my Noodle+)

Callaway HX Diablo Tour and Tour i(s) (SS too low to play Tour i(z)?)

Taylormade Penta TP (SS too low to play TP Black?)

Srixon Trispeed and Z-Star (SS too low to play Z-Star XV?)

Titleist Pro V1 and NXT Tour

Nike One Vapor, One Vapor Speed and One Tour D (SS too low to play One Tour?)

Not even sure if anyone has tried all of them, but just feel free to throw in your thoughts.

Thanks!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I have the same SS and my favorite ball is the Z-star. Number two is the titleist nxt tour. I tend to get better green side spin/feel with the z-star.

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

Waiting anxiously Matt!

Skihippy, I've only heard good things about Z-Star, I guess it will be the first one I try!

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

After finding out my driver SS last weekend (95mph) I feel a little more confident going from 2 piece balls to the 3 piece ones.

So I was just wondering if you guys have any comparisons/feedback/reviews regarding the following balls.

Sure, I could buy a sleeve of each and test them out, but at the price they come at, it's not an experiment I can afford at the moment :D

Here is the list:

Bridgestone B330RX and RXS (SS too low to play B330?)

Bridgestone e6+ and e7+ (currently playing e6+ and I like it more than my Noodle+)

Callaway HX Diablo Tour and Tour i(s) (SS too low to play Tour i(z)?)

Taylormade Penta TP (SS too low to play TP Black?)

Srixon Trispeed and Z-Star (SS too low to play Z-Star XV?)

Titleist Pro V1 and NXT Tour

Nike One Vapor, One Vapor Speed and One Tour D (SS too low to play One Tour?)

Not even sure if anyone has tried all of them, but just feel free to throw in your thoughts.

Thanks!

I've tried all of them except the Trispeed. If price is an issue, go with either the One Tour D, e7 or NXT Tour (these aren't ranked). If price isn't an issue, go with any of them... I don't think you'd notice a couple hundred RPM's difference in spin around the green (between all your "tour" models), though you might- might- see a difference between the e6 and, say, the Penta.

I don't do "feel" comparisons, if you're wondering. In balls, sound is the biggest determinate of "feel" than anything else. A Surlyn cover, like in the e6, might sound more "clickier" (I made that up on the spot) than a urethane cover, but I couldn't tell you if that's good or bad. Only you can determine it.

Here's a fun experiment: if you can, take whatever balls you have (cover up all the logos and number them for reference) out to a range or your backyard. Wear some form of sound reduction- the more the better. Hit some shots wearing the ear covering (maybe listen to your mp3 player) and try to tell which one feels and performs the "best". You'll be surprised... I was when I did it.

Thanks Justin!

I certainly won't feel the difference of a couple of hundred RPM, but from a 2 piece to a 3 piece it is quite a gap.

From the 3 you recommended, only the Tour D is premium while the e7 and NXT Tour are mid-range, correct?

Sounds like a fun experiment. What do you use to cover the balls? And how do you recover the balls you've hit into the range? :P I've always how can people afford that. I always thought half swings on the pitching green are not as accurate as full iron shots.

A week ago I would have recommended the B330RX no questions asked, being my club speed similar to yours. I found a B330 in the course the other day and decided to use it for a couple of holes (until I lose it off course). I was very surprised with the performance. The feel is not as buttery as the RX, but the ball flight seemed to be much more penetrating and much lower. I know its supposed to be a +105mph ball but with a 95mph you can definitely compress the urethane layer.... If you can find them (they are going for cheap these days), get last year's model. They work beautifully for $20 less a dozen...

A week ago I would have recommended the B330RX no questions asked, being my club speed similar to yours. I found a B330 in the course the other day and decided to use it for a couple of holes (until I lose it off course). I was very surprised with the performance. The feel is not as buttery as the RX, but the ball flight seemed to be much more penetrating and much lower. I know its supposed to be a +105mph ball but with a 95mph you can definitely compress the urethane layer.... If you can find them (they are going for cheap these days), get last year's model. They work beautifully for $20 less a dozen...

Did you manage similar distance with both of them? I definitely prefer medium, penetrating flight over high balloons.

http://www.golfballs.com/Golf-Balls/Bridgestone-Tour-B330-Golf-Balls_3.htm

http://www.golfballs.com/Golf-Balls/Bridgestone-Tour-B330S-Golf-Balls_3.htm

According to that website, 95mph is enough to compress these balls.

Did you manage similar distance with both of them? I definitely prefer medium, penetrating flight over high balloons.

http://www.golfballs.com/Golf-Balls/Bridgestone-Tour-B330-Golf-Balls_3.htm

http://www.golfballs.com/Golf-Balls/Bridgestone-Tour-B330S-Golf-Balls_3.htm

According to that website, 95mph is enough to compress these balls.

I have to correct myself. It was not a B330 but a B300-S (I just looked back at it). I play in a very very windy coastal course, so having a lower shot gives you plenty more distance, so I was happier with the B300-S performance over the B330RX playing in this type of conditions. I bought a 3-sleeve to play them again today on a different course so I'll give my "new" feed back when I come back today.

Archived