TESTERS WANTED! ×

GPS vs Rangfinders

chisag

I went back to gps because I enjoy the visual graphics of the hole layout on my SX400 and it's small enough for my back pocket.  I used the Bushnell v4 slope for years, but over time I used Golfshot Plus on my iWatch more than the Bushnell and used it mostly on par 3s.  I'm finally ditching the Golfshot after 11 years and subscribe to Skygolf.

:titelist-small: Linksmaster bag  

:titelist-small:  TSR3 11° Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6 stiff

:titelist-small:   TSi2 16.5° and 21° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7 stiff 

:titelist-small:  T200 Utility Build 22° Graphite Design Tour AD 85 HY stiff

:titelist-small:  2021 T200 5-P Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 105 stiff

:vokey-small:  SM9 48.10F Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 105 stiff52.12F Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 120 stiff and 58.10S Jet Black Premium True Temper AMT Black-Black Onyx S300

Scotty Cameron   2022 Special Select Jet Set Newport 34" 350g

ArccosSig.jpg.ebcfd079607adabd46a71d6125ee2ab6.jpg P3 sensor, Caddy Smart grips, and Apple Watch

:titelist-small:  ProV1x

I have the Arccos system. I love it. I’m very confident with it.  Love it’s picture of the holes.  Love it’s Caddie feature. It’s 99% of the time within one yard of rangefinders that my partners have. Love that I can move the pin to anywhere on the green. As well as get yardages to hazards or any spot on the hole and the subsequent yardage into the hole from that point. Outside of giving me accurate yardage I get a wealth of information afterwards on my round and it has helped me analyze and improve my game. 

5D2B6C3C-68D3-4CF1-874E-4AE00C9548AA.png

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 9degree. Hosel set to -1degree/Nuetral. Aftermarket 10gram front weight and 6.5 gram sliding weight set to fade. Mitsubishi  Tensei AV Blue Stiff 67 “Tipped” half inch

Diablo 5 Wood Nuetral Stock shaft

:taylormade-small: M3 3 Hybrid Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Weight set to fade

:mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-GW KBS C Taper Stiff 1/2 inch longer 

:callaway-small: Mac Daddy 4 54, 58

:odyssey-small: Works Tank Cruiser 7              40 Grams in head and counterbalanced 30 grams inside Super Stroke Fatso Grip

:srixon-small: Z-Star

6 minutes ago, T2Grn said:

I have the Arccos system. I love it. I’m very confident with it.  Love it’s picture of the holes.  Love it’s Caddie feature. It’s 99% of the time within one yard of rangefinders that my partners have. Love that I can move the pin to anywhere on the green. As well as get yardages to hazards or any spot on the hole and the subsequent yardage into the hole from that point. Outside of giving me accurate yardage I get a wealth of information afterwards on my round and it has helped me analyze and improve my game. 

#humblebrag with the screenshot of a 313 yard drive, and birdie on a par 5. 🤣

I have one 9-hole round completed with Arccos and look forward to using it this spring and summer.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Yes. I chose that of the hundreds of shots I could have. But here is another. I could reach the green by flying over the lake. But I tried to play it safe off the tee and look what happened....disaster with my short game. Ughh

E9EDC9CA-BFE2-4CCE-8AD4-8E8F45350B12.png

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 9degree. Hosel set to -1degree/Nuetral. Aftermarket 10gram front weight and 6.5 gram sliding weight set to fade. Mitsubishi  Tensei AV Blue Stiff 67 “Tipped” half inch

:odyssey-small: Works Tank Cruiser 7              40 Grams in head and counterbalanced 30 grams inside Super Stroke Fatso Grip

6 minutes ago, T2Grn said:

.... I love that 2nd hole! Covid stopped my winter retreat in Phoenix this year and Aguila was my go to course. Probably played it 50 times last winter. Really miss playing Aguila as the heat, elevation and hard fairways made that hole reachable in two for me when normally 515 and uphill the whole way for the second shot in soft midwest conditions is probably just out of reach.  Nice 4!

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

1 minute ago, T2Grn said:

Yes. I chose that of the hundreds of shots I could have. But here is another. I could reach the green by flying over the lake. But I tried to play it safe off the tee and look what happened....disaster with my short game. Ughh

E9EDC9CA-BFE2-4CCE-8AD4-8E8F45350B12.png

... Stop!!!! You're killing me. 🤣  I love that hole too, although if your approach settles in the wrong spot that is a tough green to read and putt.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

By the way BBoston, desert golf means farther drives. I’m also 6’2” 245 lbs. I’m a big boy.  I posted earlier in another forum that I get this Statement  or variations of it a lot from people I play with.  “Nice drive man, even better bogey”.  My short game despite my practicing it is bad.  

E9EDC9CA-BFE2-4CCE-8AD4-8E8F45350B12.thumb.png.dde24dc8d96d6f2f08696a2f7dbd1a74.png

Lol no hater here! I’d post a bomb like that too if I could

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

36 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

#humblebrag with the screenshot of a 313 yard drive, and birdie on a par 5. 🤣

I have one 9-hole round completed with Arccos and look forward to using it this spring and summer.

I don’t k is if you saw my other posts regarding rhe picture I posted but notice up top it says +11. So despite the nice hole here I finished the round 11 over. Sorry for the humble brag but I posted my epic failure at an easy hole too. 

Just now, B.Boston said:

Lol no hater here! I’d post a bomb like that too if I could

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s so funny!! We were writing to each other at the same time!!

By the way BBoston, desert golf means farther drives. I’m also 6’2” 245 lbs. I’m a big boy.  I posted earlier in another forum that I get this Statement  or variations of it a lot from people I play with.  “Nice drive man, even better bogey”.  My short game despite my practicing it is bad.  

Best I can share right now is this one which isn’t bad for a 40 degree day in November but I’m I small guy at 5’4. And desert or not a bomb is a bomb!

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIMG_9188.png

That’s a bomb drive in those conditions and your size.  Well done. I remember those cool days. I learned to play gold just outside Washington DC in Northern VA.  Fall and winter gold were fun! 

3 minutes ago, T2Grn said:

That’s a bomb drive in those conditions and your size.  Well done. I remember those cool days. I learned to play gold just outside Washington DC in Northern VA.  Fall and winter gold were fun! 

I've played some interesting late fall and early spring rounds... more than once its started to snow. haha

I remember the first time I got to play with the AP2's my dad wanted to go in on the 7th hole since it was cold and windy.  It ended up snowing for the 8th and 9th but I played out much to his dismay.  haha

One day I'll get myself to a desert course.  Bet you still get some cool mornings/evenings out there too.

I once played on New Year’s day and didn’t reach a par three over the pond. It was frozen so when the ball hit it, it made an incredible and weird sound and the ball bounced up to the green!  Yes I’ve had some frost delays here. But rare. I don’t miss the sting in my hands. I’ll play in rain. I’ll play in the cold. I won’t play when it’s cold and raining!

33 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Best I can share right now is this one which isn’t bad for a 40 degree day in November but I’m I small guy at 5’4. And desert or not a bomb is a bomb!

Ummm that tee shot looks incredibly narrow off the box.  Gotta walk single file out of there?

8 minutes ago, T2Grn said:

Ummm that tee shot looks incredibly narrow off the box.  Gotta walk single file out of there?

haha tall trees casting quite the shadow there.  It is on the narrow side, with a marsh in for the first 60 yards or so.  But it opens up once you get to the landing area left and long of the bunker.  If you hit a nice fade off the left hand side of the fairway everything feeds back to the middle and down towards the hole.

48 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Is this 4 B? If so luckily they have cut the marsh down some before you had to be 40 yards back just to be able to clear it!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

6 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

Is this 4 B? If so luckily they have cut the marsh down some before you had to be 40 yards back just to be able to clear it!

No that was 6.  I think you went into the bunker. 😉

9 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

No that was 6.  I think you went into the bunker. 😉

Ohhhhhh and no I wasn’t I was past you on the right tree line. Pretty sure I didn’t get through lol

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

On 4/28/2020 at 6:05 AM, UncleDanger said:

I use both. GPS is “always on” for yardage to layups and green center. Laser is used on par 3 and holes where there is a hazard near green that I need specific yardage info for.

Similar here, though I will occasionally pull out the rangefinder for hazards or obstructions on hole, not just par 3s. Primary tool is Garmin GPS watch, with secondary being rangefinder. New rangefinder has slope, so I may be using it more on hilly courses than I did the old rangefiner (without slope).

I wish they made a gps watch that tracked how many steps/miles you walked. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

13 hours ago, ole gray said:

I wish they made a gps watch that tracked how many steps/miles you walked. 

Most, if not all, of the Garmin watches do. My watch (Vivomusic 3) is primarily a fitness tracker, and getting the golf GPS was a bonus. 

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

9 hours ago, Siamese Moose said:

Most, if not all, of the Garmin watches do. My watch (Vivomusic 3) is primarily a fitness tracker, and getting the golf GPS was a bonus. 

Thanks dude!   I'll have to check into one of those. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer the range finder.  As some others have said, I use it to look at a number of items around the target.  Bunkers, hills, things I want to avoid, so I can plan out a safe strategy.  I'll look at a front bunker, a back bunker, and see how deep the green is so I know whether I have a better chance of sticking it between them or playing to a more open part of the green.  It's just hard for me to visualize how that strategy would work looking at a GPS or something.

I find myself using the rangefinder for distances to pin and I leave the GPS set to large numbers for a quick glance as to front/back/middle numbers.  Occasionally, I'll check the GPS to see distances to water to determine layup shots.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I prefer the range finder. I like to use it to find different carries and where the trouble is.  I like to use it as binoculars to see slope on the greens are and different run offs and things of that nature. The GPS is very handy on blind holes and dog legs and such and in a scramble when you will inevitably try to hit a stupid sit that you would never try otherwise. That 290 yards green that suit directly behind a dog leg on the forward tees.

If I had one choice, it would be the rangefinder for its accuracy on approach shots. Having a GPS as a back up would be nice when I have no line of sight shots to the green.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

• 2 weeks later...

Rangefinder doesn't give you the green front/back yardages.  GPS does.  GPS doesn't tell you where the flag is (duh), rangefinder does.  Like many, I use both sometimes.  Always use rangefinder though.  It's easier too when you have a routine so you don't feel hurried trying to get the GPS working (I use an app on my phone).  Don't care for the watch option as I realized I could just do better by unlocking my phone. 

I love blades.

Rangefinder doesn't give you the green front/back yardages.  GPS does.  GPS doesn't tell you where the flag is (duh), rangefinder does.  Like many, I use both sometimes.  Always use rangefinder though.  It's easier too when you have a routine so you don't feel hurried trying to get the GPS working (I use an app on my phone).  Don't care for the watch option as I realized I could just do better by unlocking my phone. 

A couple of manufacturers have incorporated gps into a LRF so you get both with one device.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel