TESTERS WANTED! ×

advice for teen gear?

My friends son is turning 14 on 4/14 and he is looking for advice about clubs.  His son is 5'3" tall and very athletic.  He is looking for a full set of clubs and doesn't want to get a junky starter set.  He has been hitting his mothers clubs and is over powering them.  A regular flex shaft seem reasonable.  I would also think about two degrees flat for his height.  What color dot would that be in Ping clubs?

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

I’d be careful about recommending any lie adjustment for him based solely on height. There’s so much more that’s goes into the lie decision that you really can’t base it on the static measurements and it’s infinitely important to his development as a golfer. Get it wrong and he’ll struggle to keep it on this planet no matter how good his swing is. The obvious recommendation is to send him to a fitter but on a budget, there is some information that can be gleaned from the line test. 

For a first set, the box sets are usually the best entry point for cost, completeness, and coolness with matching color schemes. Then he can upgrade a club here a club there as he goes along We did a member test for the Wilson kid and teen sets last year and I hope to do more this year. Head over to that thread to read more:

Hope you find this helpful!

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Ping provides static fitting charts and tools on their website:  https://ping.com/en-us/fitting/custom-fitting/iron-color-code-chart

Static fitting is generally used as a starting point and the best results would be gained from an actual fitting.  While something like a club champion fitting is probably beyond what you want to do,   find a store with launch monitors and learn what to look for in a fitting.   You should also leverage the instore fitters and fitting carts to try different heads and shafts.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I would keep an open mind to used sets as well.  A great way to get a wonderful set of clubs from a manufacturer you know makes quality equipment and then you can always have a local shop help to do the fitting and adjust anything needed.  A 14 year old will most likely be happy with their own clubs even if it's a 8-10 year old driver or 7 year old irons...etc.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Agreed with all the others on both used sets as well as boxed sets. There’s plenty of good ones out there.

My 14yo is 5’4” and using my old W/S D200s with R flex graphite shafts. His PGA Jr coach tried him in some of the larger US Kids irons last year and my son was hitting the W/S much more consistently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2020 at 5:58 PM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

I’d be careful about recommending any lie adjustment for him based solely on height. There’s so much more that’s goes into the lie decision that you really can’t base it on the static measurements and it’s infinitely important to his development as a golfer. Get it wrong and he’ll struggle to keep it on this planet no matter how good his swing is. The obvious recommendation is to send him to a fitter but on a budget, there is some information that can be gleaned from the line test. 

For a first set, the box sets are usually the best entry point for cost, completeness, and coolness with matching color schemes. Then he can upgrade a club here a club there as he goes along We did a member test for the Wilson kid and teen sets last year and I hope to do more this year. Head over to that thread to read more:

Hope you find this helpful!

I second the idea of not recommending lie adjustments based solely on height. I am 5'7" and based on height and wrist to floor measurement most sites/online tools I used recommended 1 to 2 degrees flat. When I did my iron fitting I ended up having clubs adjust 2 degrees weak and  2 degrees upright based on my swing delivery. My set was used from 2nd Swing. Not sure if you live in an area with one but if you do I'd highly recommend it. They did a custom fitting with loft/lie adjustments included. I ended up getting a set of Apex CF16 with SteelFiber shafts for a great price (and they were custom fit to my swing). 

WITB

Driver: Ping G30 10.5 Stiff

Fairway wood: Titleist 917F2 16.5 Stiff 

Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 Steel Fiber i95 Stiff (5-PW)

Wedges: Vokey 52, 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

I’m 5’4” and swing standard lie Mizuno MP-4 irons, and 45.25” driver. Definitely don’t assume a lie based on height. How vertical the club is at impact, arm length, club flex, and swing speed all play a role in the way the sole of the club interacts with the ground. If you can’t get into a fitter, my advice would be start with a “standard” set up and then tweak it from there. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce