Mackdaddy9

advice for teen gear?

Our Sponsors

My friends son is turning 14 on 4/14 and he is looking for advice about clubs.  His son is 5'3" tall and very athletic.  He is looking for a full set of clubs and doesn't want to get a junky starter set.  He has been hitting his mothers clubs and is over powering them.  A regular flex shaft seem reasonable.  I would also think about two degrees flat for his height.  What color dot would that be in Ping clubs?

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 * Ventus Blue 6s pure 

3 Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15*  Matrix Ozik HD7 tp 

3 Hybrid:  Taylormade M3 TP 18.5*   4 Hybrid:  Taylormade Rocketballs stage 2  22.5* 

5 iron Srixon U85

6-P Irons:  KZG Forged III  

Gap Wedge: Cleveland CBX 50*  Sand Wedge:  Cleveland RTX 4  54*  

Lob Wedge:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 58/12 M

Putter:  Evnroll ER 8.3 34" Gravity grip 

Ball:  Bridgestone B rxs Yellow

I’d be careful about recommending any lie adjustment for him based solely on height. There’s so much more that’s goes into the lie decision that you really can’t base it on the static measurements and it’s infinitely important to his development as a golfer. Get it wrong and he’ll struggle to keep it on this planet no matter how good his swing is. The obvious recommendation is to send him to a fitter but on a budget, there is some information that can be gleaned from the line test. 

For a first set, the box sets are usually the best entry point for cost, completeness, and coolness with matching color schemes. Then he can upgrade a club here a club there as he goes along We did a member test for the Wilson kid and teen sets last year and I hope to do more this year. Head over to that thread to read more:

Hope you find this helpful!

• Like 6

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+
.......tracked by :Arccos:

:ping-small: G410 Plus: Tensei Orange
:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 FW: Tensei Blue

:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 Hy: Fujikura Pro
:ping-small: i500 5-GW: Modus3 105
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60: KBS Tour 90
:MLA: Tour Classic Black w/ :P2-grips-logo:

Ping provides static fitting charts and tools on their website:  https://ping.com/en-us/fitting/custom-fitting/iron-color-code-chart

Static fitting is generally used as a starting point and the best results would be gained from an actual fitting.  While something like a club champion fitting is probably beyond what you want to do,   find a store with launch monitors and learn what to look for in a fitting.   You should also leverage the instore fitters and fitting carts to try different heads and shafts.  

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I would keep an open mind to used sets as well.  A great way to get a wonderful set of clubs from a manufacturer you know makes quality equipment and then you can always have a local shop help to do the fitting and adjust anything needed.  A 14 year old will most likely be happy with their own clubs even if it's a 8-10 year old driver or 7 year old irons...etc.

• Like 6

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

3 Wood: :titelist-small: 917F2 Fujikura Pro 84 Tour Spec S

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

Irons 4-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 58* Nippon Modus Wedge

Putter:  image.png.cca2328f4144a299c795aa9b8f3bf677.png Inovai 6.0              :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"  

Agreed with all the others on both used sets as well as boxed sets. There’s plenty of good ones out there.

My 14yo is 5’4” and using my old W/S D200s with R flex graphite shafts. His PGA Jr coach tried him in some of the larger US Kids irons last year and my son was hitting the W/S much more consistently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

On 3/31/2020 at 5:58 PM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

I’d be careful about recommending any lie adjustment for him based solely on height. There’s so much more that’s goes into the lie decision that you really can’t base it on the static measurements and it’s infinitely important to his development as a golfer. Get it wrong and he’ll struggle to keep it on this planet no matter how good his swing is. The obvious recommendation is to send him to a fitter but on a budget, there is some information that can be gleaned from the line test. 

For a first set, the box sets are usually the best entry point for cost, completeness, and coolness with matching color schemes. Then he can upgrade a club here a club there as he goes along We did a member test for the Wilson kid and teen sets last year and I hope to do more this year. Head over to that thread to read more:

Hope you find this helpful!

I second the idea of not recommending lie adjustments based solely on height. I am 5'7" and based on height and wrist to floor measurement most sites/online tools I used recommended 1 to 2 degrees flat. When I did my iron fitting I ended up having clubs adjust 2 degrees weak and  2 degrees upright based on my swing delivery. My set was used from 2nd Swing. Not sure if you live in an area with one but if you do I'd highly recommend it. They did a custom fitting with loft/lie adjustments included. I ended up getting a set of Apex CF16 with SteelFiber shafts for a great price (and they were custom fit to my swing). 

• Like 1

WITB

Driver: Ping G30 10.5 Stiff

Fairway wood: Titleist 917F2 16.5 Stiff 

Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 Steel Fiber i95 Stiff (5-PW)

Wedges: Vokey 52, 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

I’m 5’4” and swing standard lie Mizuno MP-4 irons, and 45.25” driver. Definitely don’t assume a lie based on height. How vertical the club is at impact, arm length, club flex, and swing speed all play a role in the way the sole of the club interacts with the ground. If you can’t get into a fitter, my advice would be start with a “standard” set up and then tweak it from there. 

• Like 1

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 106mph

Driver: Ping i25, S-flex PWR 65 shaft
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3i: FOURTEEN FH-1000, DG X100
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce