TESTERS WANTED! ×

Foam vs. Plastic Practice Balls

Good morning, fellow Shelter-at-Homers:

Going a bit stir crazy, weather here in NJ has been giving us a few good days to start playing for the season but of course all the courses are closed until further notice. With that, looking to at least start hitting balls in the backyard, but was wondering if you more experience folks have a preference of using the plastic "wiffle"-style bllas or the foam practice balls? Looking to buy from Amazon but way too many choices.

As always, thanks for your advice . . . Marty  

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

Cobra Golf Fairway Woods (3, 5)

Tommy Armour Atomic Max Irons (4 - 9)

Tommy Armour Wedges (A, S, G, P)

Odyssey Works Versa Marxman Fang Putter

Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi Hybrid (4 & 7)

Good morning, fellow Shelter-at-Homers:

Going a bit stir crazy, weather here in NJ has been giving us a few good days to start playing for the season but of course all the courses are closed until further notice. With that, looking to at least start hitting balls in the backyard, but was wondering if you more experience folks have a preference of using the plastic "wiffle"-style bllas or the foam practice balls? Looking to buy from Amazon but way too many choices.

As always, thanks for your advice . . . Marty  

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

I’ve hit both and would not recommend either. Feel is all wrong and really doesn’t provide good feedback. Better off with a net for full swing. I’d focus on short game with real balls; hit to towels or buckets to work on controlling distance.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I used to use the plastic wiffle ball style ones but I used to dent and break them all the time.  The foam ones were a lot more durable but they dont go very far and dont really tell you anything about hook/slice.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Any thoughts on these:

Champkey IMPACTECH Hybrid Rubber Practice Golf Balls

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z5KRVP3/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A32OQ8QASIQ4OJ&psc=1

They are like the SKILLZ but a bit less expensive.

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

I'm stuck using the foam balls right now for anything resembling a full shot. Unfortunately houses in my neighborhood are pretty close together and I don't want to hit them even with limited flight balls. I have been looking at nets, but SWMBO has really put the cap on spending for anything that's not a necessity. Had plans and clearance to buy a new bag, but that's on hold now.

I'll still use real balls for short chipping practice. I figure we'll all have better short games before too long.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Just like everyone else has said. Cannot beat a real golf ball or a range ball if necessary but I have used in my back yard Hank Haney foam golf balls. Obviously like I said cant beat the real thing but this at least gives you a good ability to swing and you know when you make good contact. Not going to get your normal divot and what not but good practice non-the-less:81VS5FU5ATL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

As previously stated, the whiffle ball types do tend to break down really easily.  Foam balls can be fun with no other options, but they seem to be severely slice prone.  And not just a little slice either.  The kind of slice that makes a banana look straight.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

4 hours ago, AmishJason said:

As previously stated, the whiffle ball types do tend to break down really easily.  Foam balls can be fun with no other options, but they seem to be severely slice prone.  And not just a little slice either.  The kind of slice that makes a banana look straight.

Who knew the foam balls could be the new boomerang?

image.gif.049478bae36d2a0da21f90fbec55f53c.gif

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Birdie Balls are your best bet if you can't set up a net and hit real balls. If that's not an option, then foam. Plastic should be your absolute last resort, and if you get those, stock up. They don't last at all. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • Bridgestone B X.

One other note on the foam balls.  My daughter laughed off being absolutely drilled by a foam ball.  She's 3.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

One other note on the foam balls.  My daughter laughed off being absolutely drilled by a foam ball.  She's 3.

She wouldn't have been laughing after being hit by a plastic whiffle ball.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel